IMDb > "Luther" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Luther"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Luther" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Wow, stumbled upon this show by chance but I'm very grateful I did

Author: flam99 from Canada
11 June 2010

Let me be clear, I despise police or detective shows. It just doesn't do it for me. They throw in a new criminal each episode to fill up most of the time and add a little bit of main story progression at the very end of the episode, leaving it to the season finale to wrap things up in ONE good episode.

Luther does not do this. Luther is a ride that relentlessly takes you through a thick plot. The story is compelling and realistic. The acting is of class (I really like Idris Elba). The music choice at certain parts of the show is so fitting that a smile makes its way on my face amidst the gruesome storyline. I just think this show is spectacular.

I understand that for a lot of viewers, certain scenes of this show are difficult to watch. I consider myself capable of handling some pretty nasty stuff, but some parts even got to me. I applaud this show for being the first one in many years to give me that effect.

I would recommend this show to anyone. I truly hope it continues.

Shining Through Mediocrity.

Author: journalist1 from United Kingdom
25 June 2010

Bias, it's a terrible thing I know but I have to admit I AM biased,biased against police drama's, for me they signify the apathy and mediocrity at the heart of British and American television.

However, occasionally along comes a series that sits so far above the grey landscape of indifference that it blinds by the light of it's creativity, one such show is the British drama 'Luther'. The show's direction takes the viewer helter skelter into the very heart and soul of John Luther, a dedicated senior police officer in a constant struggle to retain his moral compass because he dares to use questionable methods to ensure justice for victims of the most brutal crimes within a labyrinthine bureaucracy of a legal system whose very existence seems intent in ensuring the path towards a successful arrest and conviction is as difficult as possible.

Idris Elba is excellent at portraying this wrought, fallible but noble detective John Luther, which reflects once again how far Elba's acting range can reach post The Wire. The audio track is charged, insightful and electric, employing talents such as Emiliana Torrini and her track 'Gun'.

One of the more interesting back stories is the role of Alice Morgan, a young multiple murderess (played brilliantly by Ruth Wilson) who gives Luther chilling insight into the minds of his suspects while challenging him on sexual, intellectual and moral levels, intent on drawing him further inwards to the heart of her passion, John can see this, it both frightens and attracts him leaving the audience on a constant cliff-edge awaiting his fate. 'Luther' reminds me of 'the number 23' and how obsession can destroy and destroy utterly taking everything and everyone with it.

A triple A show among E-average competition.

Please let there be another series

Author: martyncymro
8 June 2010

Class! What an excellent series.

I've always liked Idris Elba - maybe it's because of The Wire or maybe because his screen presence is so compelling. When our TVs schedules are filled with so much dross to have this little gem of a series appear is so refreshing.

Luther (Idris Elba) is a Detective Inspector in a Special Crimes Unit who has just returned to work after having recently recovered from a mental breakdown due to pressures of a marriage break up and over commitment to his job. His relationships with his ex-wife, his new colleague DS Ripley and a psychopathic but brilliant young lady are central to the development of the series. Each episode leaves one wanting to know how the plot will develop. There are of course the crimes to be solved and Luther's unorthodox but canny methods.

I will not divulge any more but the climatic ending to episode 6 makes one want to know 'what now?' I strongly recommend Luther who anyone who appreciates 'quality' television drama.

Fantastic action-packed police drama.

Author: Dechilo from United Kingdom
8 June 2010

I have watched countless TV shows from the US and the UK and this is by far one of the better written shows. It is not fully packed of twists and turns but the actor who plays 'Alice' is pure evil genius. She alone takes the show from being 'just good' to fantastic! Overall it is worth watching and much better than any other police show I have found in recent years, with a possible exception of 'Dexter' (US TV show).

Without giving too much away it is a story about a 'troubled' police officer who is highly skilled at his job, however has to deal with many issues. Throughout the show he comes across as very self-contained with a few outbursts of anger; these highlight his frustrations of the harsh situations for which he has been placed.

Sadly the series is only 6 episodes and I am truly hoping for a second series. For this, I will be keeping my out for! However some of the best shows only ever have one season of pure genius as not to ruin them. I suspect that this may be the case here, even though I do feel there is room to extend the story at least into another 6 episodes of series 2.

Crazy, unhinged, but great show

Author: cfisanick from Western Pennsylvania
23 November 2010

What's remarkable about "Luther" is how series creator Neil Cross takes a rag-tag bag of clichés--brilliant but damaged rogue cop, long-suffering boss, genius killer, etc.--and makes it all seem so fresh. Of course, having the fantastic Idris Elba helps immeasurably. He doesn't just act the part of Luther; he is Luther, fully inhabiting the role and moving like a force of nature through every scene. This is one of those rare times where you see an actor's innate intelligence and physicality used perfectly. (Watching Luther decompensate, as he does at various times over the story arc, is really something to see.) Elba is matched every step of the way by Ruth Wilson, playing a sort of female Hannibal Lector--brilliant, amoral, remorseless, scary, and, I daresay, sexy. She and Elba make quite a pair, and their interplay is priceless.

Finally, it's worth noting that this series, while ostensibly a cop show, has its own look and feel. It plays more like a beautifully filmed, weird morality play. (Cross makes the point that Luther believes in only two things, life and love, though the viewer will quickly see that, despite his damaged psyche and emotional baggage, he also ultimately believes in himself.) Some may think that it's just insane, far-fetched, and way over the top. (which it sometimes is if you look closely and cynically). But I think that it exudes a unique vibe. Take a look at the impressionistic opening credits with Massive Attack on the soundtrack, and you'll know right up front that this is something special.

Brilliant

Author: arachnapheobia from London
15 August 2010

Okay, it's been a while since i actually saw a series I liked so much. England doesn't churn out amazing movies or TV programmes by the dozen, but when they get 'em right, they get 'em perfect. And Luther is one of those gems.

A very gritty setting, and perfect execution for a detective series. Each character is very detailed and constantly evolving and growing with Idris Elba playing DCI Luther, constantly fighting his own deamons and a rich cast of characters who make his life 'interesting'.

This is a true gem of a series, and in true British style, ends the first series only after 6 episodes, leaving you wanting more and more.

Interesting, compelling and absorbing

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
21 June 2010

Now I love detective series, and tuned in to Luther expecting something interesting. And did I get that? Yes I did and even more than that. It mayn't be the best programme ever, but over the past six weeks or so it was one of the better programmes airing.

The violence is shocking I agree, I admit I had to look away when a woman was abused in one episode. But it is not exactly happy families, the violence in Luther is gritty and suited the tone of the series well. The stories were well written, unpredictable and quite nail-biting and the writing is intelligent and fairly humorous in spots. The series is also strikingly filmed, with a dark edge to it and the direction is solid.

And the acting is very, very good, as they bring to life interesting characters who have flaws but we get to like them. For example, Luther is fairly unorthodox, but he is also troubled and dedicated so the character grows on you like the series. Idris Elba gives a charismatic lead performance, while Ruth Wilson almost steals the show from under him seamlessly as Alice and Steven Mackintosh is charming as DCI Reed. The villains are outlandish in their motives, but they do maintain interest too. Overall, Luther is a very interesting detective series, and also very compelling and absorbing. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Finally a detective show thats unique!!!!!

Author: kingpetay from United Kingdom
2 June 2010

When i heard that Idris Elba was doing a BBC series i almost hoped it would be a one season-er, but i have to admit this is probably the most enjoyable BBC series in years. Finally a show that relates to the real life of a copper instead of the stupid mistakes we always can identify on shows like CSI, sorry David Caruso but you cannot act for a toffee, not even a bland one. One thing that makes this show so unique is its reality, not all of the episode is committed to the case and its interests, some how it still makes time to experience the personal problems of a copper with people breathing down his neck 24/7. All in all i take my hat off to this show and hail for some more episodes in the near future!!!

Luther will discombobulate you...but, in a good way!!!

Author: zaenkney from United States
30 October 2010

"Luther" the new BBC detective series lead by Idris Elba as DCI John Luther, is a riveting watch. This character, Luther, is a loose cannon primed to fire at will or by wonder, yet this detective's intelligence and focus seems to keep him charging in the right direction. He and fellow officers appear to work on a rather intuitive level and their ability to relate to us 'common folk' and our reaction to injustice, is a magnetizing factor.

The relationship he has with his wife, Zoe, works well as a part of the machinery that helps reveal the different layers of his character. Beyond that, I must admit I feel slightly ambiguous towards her part, at this point, anyway.

But I am fascinated with Alice Morgan (Ruth Wilson of "Jane Eyre" 2006). I had a very good friend with similar characteristics as she; the writers, as well as the actress, portrayed Alice as if they knew my friend intimately. Of course, it is difficult to know the 'deviosity' of which such people are capable, especially when your affections are securely attached through years of shared experiences. As I watch Alice Morgan attempt to secure even the friendship of Luther, I think, "Oh, go ahead, trust her." And then, I remind myself that this character killed her parents! This goes to the depraved depth of the sociopath's personality and how they can manipulate us. Chilling! Great stuff…

For anyone who holds an interest towards the Behavioral Sciences, and desires to watch something that will entertain, as well as appeal to that part of your brain, give "Luther" a shot, you won't be sorry.

crazy comic book action

Author: tommysize1 from United Kingdom
1 June 2010

wow! this is the most entertaining detective show I've ever watched! if you like gritty detective dramas with cleverly pieced together plots then.... watch something else. This series has outlandish criminals doing their thing while Luther magically appears with all the answers and at the same time insults your intelligence.

But when you have the amount of unbelievable & and some times shocking action that they cram into Luther you wont care! the 1st 4 episodes are the usual 1 villain per episode formula of many TV shows but the 5th episode was absolutely gripping and left me wanting the next episode straight away, instead of the usual welcome 1 week break. it really did step up a gear. The only program that comes on in the week that i specifically make time for to sit down and watch. id give it a 10 if they just gave the crime solving aspect a LOT more thought. crazy comic book is action is just fine with me though.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]