IMDb > Prep & Landing (2009) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Prep & Landing (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Nailed it!

Author: Matthew Gale (plusdb-603-954197) from United States
8 December 2009

It captured the essence of a great Christmas special without finding the pitfalls of so many other recent Christmas movies. It is contains a great deal of technological references with analogs of NASA and naval terminology and procedures, but it doesn't take the magic out of Santa. There is no attempt at explaining Santa's abilities with special engines or "Clausometers," it shows the realistic and humorous backline of Santa's huge operation. Like any great Christmas movie it has a perfectly Christmas-spirit ending that makes you feel more like a perfect you. Hilarious,touching, exciting, and it has a ton of historical, pop-cultural, and technological references. We are watching it a second time! We loved it!

Best Christmas cartoon ever!!!

Author: shguerette from United States
29 July 2010

I love watching Christmas cartoons, but no one has given us anything new in years. This is a gem. It is brilliant, charming, comedic, and heartwarming. Not to mention a terrific cast for the voices. For those who complain about the military aspect, you are reading too much into this, the cartoon is simply showing that it takes a lot to put the Christmas experience together, it's a big operation which needs some kind of structure to pull this miracle off all in one night. I truly loved every little bit of this story, the comedy was smart and works for adults as well as children. Best part I have to say is the very end with Lanny and his fruit cake, his reaction(expression) - PRICELESS!!! This should become the new standard of classics. Hope we'll see this one every year and more of these characters in the future.

One of the Best Christmas Shorts Out There

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
21 December 2011

Prep & Landing (2009)

**** (out of 4)

I hate using the word "classic" on recent films as I believe they need time to grow into that but there's no question that this here is one of the best animated shorts I've seen in a very long time. An elf named Wayne (voice of Dave Foley) is expecting a promotion from Santa but when he's passed over he decides to take his job less seriously the next year, which ends up possibly causing a young boy his Christmas presents. The entire set-up of this short film is without question one of the most imaginative and entertaining that I've seen. The "prep and landing" refers to the elves job as they have to prep the house to make sure everyone is asleep and make sure that Santa's landing will allow him to get into the house without being noticed. This was such a nice and catchy way to tell the Santa legend that I can't help but think people will get a big kick out of it. Of course, it doesn't hurt that this Disney short features some terrific animation and most importantly it has some very memorable characters. Foley really does a fine job bringing Wayne to life and I thought he was terrific in the voice role and really adds a lot to the film. At just over twenty-minutes there's not a slow second to be found here and instead there are just good laughs and a terrific time.

Disney's "Prep & Landing" is a nice addition to the already bountiful holiday entertainments out there

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
25 December 2010

After recording this on DVR last year, I finally got to watch Prep & Landing today this Christmas Day. After a little more than 200 years of helping Santa make smooth landings on houses' roofs, one of the elves gets a little sour, attitude-wise, when he doesn't get a promotion and almost alienates his new partner. Then, a creature gets discovered stirring and there's a blizzard and...oh, just watch the animated special if you want to know what happens and just enjoy the hip holiday references that get sprinkled throughout that help make "Prep & Landing" such an enjoyable treat to watch thanks to all responsible for this Disney production.

A revelation

Author: beresfordjd from United Kingdom
24 December 2010

I generally loathe Christmas movies (Its A Wonderful Life is an exception) and Christmas cartoons are usually worse. This is a little masterpiece - helmed by John Lasseter, how could it go wrong? There is a perfect marriage of material that children and adults can enjoy, much the same as most of the Pixar projects. The voice overs are excellent and the whole thing manages to sidestep the mawkish and still remains magical. The animation is of the usual high quality and the writing is terrific. it bears rewatching and is sure to be part of a regular Christmas TV schedule. Why cannot others manage to do this? Surely Pixar are not the only production company with good writers, animators and directors. The problem is,I guess, that Lasseter has set the bar so high it is almost impossible to compete with such a fantastic talent.

So You Can't Watch ALL The Christmas Military Takeoffs Out There

Author: richard.fuller1
19 December 2009

And happen to catch this one? It ain't that bad. Amusing to an extent.

The revelation that elves have to prep houses to receive Santa Claus was amusing, the idea of an elf being cynical was a little off-base (there really wasn't a lot of clarity as to what the elves were doing or why. goldbricking seemed rather redundant) I actually enjoyed the gung ho reindeer a bit more. Watch a sampling handful of Christmas programs, past, present and future (reminds me, I haven't watched any version of Christmas Carol yet this year) and this won't be in the bottom of your list of bad programs.

Hey, its only shown at one time of the year anyway.

Brilliant

Author: rich-brink from Birmingham, England
22 December 2013

My family and I found this short film in error whilst trying to find a Christmas film to watch and what a find. This is now a family Christmas tradition, we now have to watch this to get into the Christmas spirit. The storyline is original and fun with content for kids and adults alike. The animation is brilliantly done as you would expect from a Disney Production and as it is only on for about 20 minutes, you can always squeeze it in. This is the story of one of Santa's helpers that thinks he has been passed by for promotion and ends up with a new partner he isn't happy with and as it is a Christmas film, of cause, it all goes well in the end. There are loads of Christmas references squeezed in which always raises a smile from my wife and I. A must see.

Pretty underwhelming for the premise

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
10 October 2013

When Pixar and Disney unite in order to shoot a half-hour special for the Christmas holidays starring a bunch of elves, you'd expect nothing but greatness looking at how both have delivered in the animation sector for decades. Unfortunately, despite its success with the Emmys, I thought the final result came rather short. Wayne, the lead character is played by prolific voice actor Dave Foley. Also on board are Sarah Chalke (Roseanne), starring in one of the later Scrubs seasons at that point, Peter Jacobsen (House M.D.) and Derek Richardson, who's currently playing alongside Charlie Sheen in Anger Management.

Veteran elf Wayne's partner gets promoted, so he has to deal with a new guy on his side. Lanny faces quite the task as Wayne's perception of Christmas a heartfelt event has considerably decreased over the years and at that point, it's really nothing but business anymore for him. Can Lanny's approach rekindle the Christmas spirit in Wayne? I think it's a decent short film that can be watched all year, not just during Christmas, primarily by younger audiences though. For grown-ups, it just falls a bit flat. The reckoning of the Christmas spirit part could have been all kinds of great, but unfortunately it's not emotionally investing as I had hoped for. The fact that the main character just pretty much performs a 180°-turn about the subject within seconds makes it look quite rushed. Also I didn't really like the way Foley voiced the main character and that has a huge impact on the perception of the whole film of course. Here and there, it gets funny, like the part where he tells Magee to put him through or he'll tell everybody about her involvement with ... The whole thing is an okay effort, but really could have been so much more.

"Prep & Landing" Is Great Holiday Fun For Everyone

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
21 December 2012

"Prep & Landing" introduces us to Lanny and Wayne. They are part of an elite team of high-tech elves who make houses ready for Santa Claus to arrive. When things go horribly wrong, the hilarious duo must rise above their challenges in order to save Christmas.

This mini-movie is hilarious and entertaining. People of all ages will find something redeeming in "Prep & Landing." The animation might be different than what we get with Pixar, but the spirit is there. That shouldn't come as a surprise since Pixar's John Lasseter is an executive producer of the film.

"Prep & Landing" is perfect for the whole family to enjoy as they come together to celebrate the holiday season.

A Christmas special worthy of the Holiday!

Author: cardel1 from Canada
27 December 2009

I went into this thinking I would end up watching another boring animated Christmas special but I was surprised. I actually enjoyed it and while I can see why one reviewer thought it was militarized, it's still better than a lot of the animated specials I've seen in the past few years. Yes, we should leave the military out of it and stop prepping the kids for war! There were no angry wolves trying to eat the characters and the humour was not aimed at the adults as is so often the case in animated features these days. I guess having John Lasseter as executive producer helps. I grew up on Frosty, Rudolph, The Grinch and now that I think of it, they also had some darker elements to them but they are and continue to be classics. I don't know if this one will be a classic but the animation is top notch and kids are not fooled by cheap imitations these days.