IMDb > Bridget Jones's Baby (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Bridget Jones Fades Away

Author: D L from United Kingdom
16 September 2016

The first ever Bridget Jones movie felt magical to watch. I had so much more in mind for Bridget and I felt Bridget Jones had so much more potential but this was ruined in the sequel as well as Bridget Jones baby. It's disappointing and sad to see what will probably be the last Bridget Jones movie to fade away and end without a bang. It just didn't hit it for me and Bridget Jones baby feels like a cheap UK revival of a movie made purely for profit. Renee zellweger is one of my favourite actors - but Bridget Jones doesn't feel the same without Hugh grant. What an amazing movie made an absolute wreck of. I wouldn't recommend any Bridget Jones fan to see this. However - it does have a few laughs throughout the movie and is watchable if you aren't going to take it too seriously.

Actually... This one made me a little miffed

Author: wschmerer
21 September 2016

---- Warning: This review includes spoilers -----

In giving feedback, one shall always start with a positive, and so I will. As commented by a few people before me: strong cast! This series of movies always had a good selection of actors, and the addition of Emma Thompson brings her special delicious style of humor, which I enjoyed. And so endeth the account of positive aspect(s).

Browsed the headlines of other reviews to see whether I am the only one who finds fault with this production, and I am not.

Found comments like "Bridget Jones is fading". I agree, there is a continuous decline in quality from the 1st to the 3rd installment. The story lines got more and more silly, making one want to ask "did she lose contact with reality, or had she none to begin with?" And replacing Hugh Grant with Patrick Depsey?! Seriously?!

There were comments on the level of banality of the story like "Middle Class Lady has Middle Class Baby (who cares?!)" and indeed, who cares?! And it does not get rendered exciting by her not knowing who is the father, the potentials being her married ex and a complete stranger from a drunken chance encounter...

What REALLY lifted my eyebrow was the 43(!) year old pregnant woman who completely ignores the need for prenatal diagnostics (amniocenthesis) and NO ONE, including the gynecologist seems to be alarmed by this. Nor does she have any concern since she seems to lack any information about the possible outcomes (where we are again at the "does she have any contact with reality" context). So, what is the message here? Is it "ah well, even with a highly geriatric pregnancy, we need no prenatal testing, since - voila - all will be well, there will be the absolute perfect, most beautiful baby in the end anyway"????. Wellcome to Fairyland! Masks me wonder about plenty of things including identity of financiers...

Middle Class Lady has Middle Class Baby (who cares?!) - Embarrassingly Awful

Author: brankovranjkovic from stevenage
19 September 2016

I like British made cinema or cinema with a strong British contribution, so I take no pleasure in my poor review. This chick-flick, ROM COM revolves around a group of characters, without any real depth, who move sluggishly through a predictable and boring plot, this time taking place several years after the 2nd instalment. The message here is that a woman is ultimately unhappy unless married, with a baby (to make her life complete), and so Bridget's quest continues.

Renee Zellweger returns with her fake British middle class accent, this time she's celebrating her 43rd birthday, and this time in search of (you'll never guess) – love, but also this time with the dilemma of pregnancy to one of two possible fathers.

Bridget's character narrates the 'important' points (as normal), and just to highlight where to laugh.

Colin Firth wheels out the same boring very 'proper' English character. The standard awkward atmosphere exists whenever Bridget is less than 20 feet from Darcy (YAWN!)

Patrick Dempsey is the (new) American character, who is a guru with a formula for love. Oh - and he's handsome, but to make him even more handsome he's a billionaire to boot. (REALLY?!)

There's lots of cliché scenes and jokes, some recycled from previous films, the film is very predictable, and I found boring. The secondary characters seem very 'tired' now, makes you wonder why they made such nonsense – money?

BEST BITS - Bridget didn't expect either man to take any responsibility for the baby, and she makes that clear. The soundtrack is good, and Ed Shearan is a good sport. The endearing message – 'True love will always find a way'.

WORST BITS - One memorable scene sees Bridget talking to a friend on her mobile while dropping the 'F' bomb several times, there are children in the background listening intently, the next scene shows Bridget arriving late at a christening, one of the same children shouts 'where the 'F' have you been?' not clever, not funny – SHOCKING!. Very dated jokes.

SUMMARY- The first film wasn't great but at least it was fresh and charming.

I sincerely hope there isn't a 4th instalment … 'Bridget Jones has yet Another Baby COZ I need the Money!'

Surprisingly Funny and Sharp

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
18 September 2016

"Bridget Jones' Baby" is a surprisingly funny, smart, adorable romantic comedy. Yes, really.

When I heard that there was going to be another Bridget Jones movie I thought, wow, that is going to be the worst film of the year. The previous two Bridget Jones movies combined comedic and romantic highpoints and low points.

In the first film, "Bridget Jones' Diary," there is the legendary "I like you just as you are" staircase scene, where the impeccable and quite possibly inhumanly perfect Colin Firth (as Mark Darcy) walks down a staircase that showcases his luscious long legs and tells plump, goofy, perpetually self-sabotaging Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) that he likes her just as she is.

If you've never seen the film, you can watch that scene – over and over – on youtube, where fans have posted multiple copies of it, and watched and re-watched it hundreds of thousands of times. How to find it? Just start typing "I like you just as…" and Google will finish the sentence for you. There's also a scene where Mark Darcy cooks dinner with Bridget Jones. If I die watching that scene, I will die happy.

The Bridget Jones movies also include hysterically funny fistfights between Colin Firth and Hugh Grant as the two men vying for Bridget's affections.

But for all their perfect moments, the Bridget Jones movies also included cringe-worthy, masochist, misogynist scenes where Bridget is made out to be the butt of highly humiliating jokes.

And "Bridget Jones Diary" was released *fifteen years ago.* Renee Zellweger was already in her thirties. Part of the point of the film was that she was a spinster who had not found a man and was desperate to do so. Fifteen years later, Renee Zellweger is 47, subject of a tsunami of articles and internet posts arguing that she has committed the unforgivable sin, in a woman, of aging. She is too damn old, fanboys and girls stamp and shout. She should be retired to a remote, cloistered nunnery; if she must venture out, it is only with a bag firmly affixed over her old-lady face.

Zellweger had plastic surgery and it ruined her, some allege. Others are enraged that she didn't have enough plastic surgery. Everyone is ready with pitchforks and torches to burn the lady for surviving past age 25.

And, finally, a romantic comedy about a woman in her forties who gets pregnant and does not know who the father is? Yuck.

In spite of all my misgivings, I went to the theater anyway, and "Bridget Jones' Baby" rapidly eliminated all my resistance. I laughed out loud throughout this movie, and I can't remember the last time I laughed so much during a first run Hollywood comedy. In "Bridget Jones' Baby," the emphasis is much more on comedy than it is on romance. Everything is played for laughs. The jokes are broad, low-brow, and slapstick. Don't expect sophisticated wit. Think nekkid bums and b00bs.

Bridget Jones is a TV producer. She is single. She and Mark made a go of it, but separated. He is now married to someone else. Bridget has a couple of one-night stands and relies on outdated, ecologically friendly prophylactics. Emma Thompson is her gynecologist. Go see this movie for Thompson's performance alone. If you don't laugh at her, I don't want to know you.

Patrick Dempsey is the other potential father. During every scene he's in, all I could think was, did his mother dip him in a magical river shortly after he was born? Dempsey is so obscenely handsome. He also comes across as being such a nice guy. He's just pure pleasure. His fireplace-warm and crackly good humor keeps the potentially awkward plot bouncing along, never getting too serious or painful.

I really think it's a human rights abuse that not every woman is issued her very own Colin Firth. He is arguably the perfect man. He may be the last living actor who can convincingly play a gentleman. Again, the film is played for laughs, but there is one scene that is heartbreakingly real. Firth is informed that Bridget is pregnant. He is so overwhelmed with emotion that he must leave the room. It's a small moment, but a poignant one, amidst the rest of the bedroom farce.

Renee Zellweger has aged, as have we all. But she's great. She inhabits Bridget, and steals our hearts.

The rest of the cast includes Bridget's funny, wacky mom, who is involved in an election meant to mirror current politics. Those brief scenes are as funny as the rest of the movie. Bridget's gang of friends are onhand, and seeing them feels as good as a reunion with your own old gang with whom you raised heck when you were young. As for the Hugh Grant character … go see the film. I don't want to spoil it for you.

I'm sorry to the movie industry for supporting this monstrosity

Author: tylerhendy from London, England
10 October 2016

I hate myself for paying to see this and supporting not only a reboot, but something so boring unfunny and unoriginal.

I genuinely went in, trying to enjoy it. Forcing myself to smile and nod, next to my cackling girlfriend. I laughed hardest at the worst jokes, because of how terrible they were.

This is the epitome of lazy movie making, and a lazy and tired industry not willing to take risks with originality.

Upon reflection, you would have to pay me to go and see this for a second time - and the hourly rate would not be cheap, for the pain and suffering is incredibly hard to tolerate.

A witty return to form

Author: ReganRebecca from Canada
3 January 2017

Like many I was very happy but skeptical when I heard the news of a third entry in the Bridget Jones series. It had been 12 years since the last film, The Edge of Reason, which deviated severely from its source material in the worst way possible and Helen Fielding had put out an awful third book Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy, which seemed to destroy everything I loved about the series.

First off: Bridget Jones's Baby is NOT an adaptation of Mad About the Boy, but its own zany creation. Second of all it's actually surprisingly good. Despite a 12 year gap Renee Zellweger slips into her Bridget persona flawlessly. She's able to anchor the film so that it still feels like a Bridget Jones film while introducing new characters like Jack Quant, a man Bridget instantly has a spark with at a music festival, and Sarah Solemani as Bridget's colleague and single friend, Miranda. Sharon Maguire (who directed the first Bridget film and was the inspiration for Shazzer), returns and seems able to get the best out of her cast.

The film sees Bridget, now turning 43, as a successful news producer who is still single and childless. Deciding to embrace her state as a single spinster she goes to a music festival where she meets a handsome man about her age, and sleeps with him. A little while later, when at her godchild's christening, she runs into Mark Darcy, new divorced from the wife he married after they split up, and as sparks fly, she sleeps with him too, only to remember in the morning all the reasons they split up as he never had time with her and was always focused on work. Soon after she discovers she's pregnant with the titular baby.

A huge part of the success of the film is down to the script which holds contributions from notorious wit Emma Thompson. It's really quite funny, but also has a lot of character bits so we believe in these characters and their decisions. The explanation for why Bridget and Darcy aren't together feels organic and real. Similarly the movie does a great job of showing who these characters would be 12 years on. Bridget has grown and figures out things in life while still keeping sense of humour and being a clumsy mess in certain situations. Rather than appearing haughty, Mark comes across as painfully shy, a careful man who now has many regrets from all the chances he didn't take.

It's a wonderful, sweet movie, and a wonderful end to the Bridget Jones series.

Underestimating Bridget

Author: jodestar82 from Gold Coast, Australia
29 November 2016

Even though i was a big fan of the original when it was released (as an impressionable teenager it was refreshing to not see another typical cliché female lead in a RomCom ); I must admit i rolled my eyes and the first thought to come to mind when reading about the release of a sequel was "LAME". BUT, ill happily be the first to admit how wrong i was.

Not only have i not been interested in any Romantic Movies (comedy and drama alike) for almost a decade (always the same old story), but i certainly didn't think BRIDGET JONES BABY was going to be all the LOL either. THANK GOODNESS FOR BOREDOM!

WITHOUT MENTIONING ANY QUOTES OR SPECIFIC SCENES, i definitely had dozens of laugh out loud moments, and 75% of the way through, i was laughing so hard, my stomach hurt and tears were streaming.

Neighbours of mine are still asking me what was so funny last Sunday (5 days ago) afternoon as they could here me laughing a few doors away, i simply let them borrow my Bridget Jones Baby and said find out for yourself.

Laughter All Round.

Well Done Bridget, A Fitting End.

Absolutely lovely, very funny film

Author: istara from Sydney
14 September 2016

Bridget Jones's Baby was consistently funny and also moving from start to finish. The audience at the showing I attended were laughing throughout.

The plot is well known (from the title and movie poster if nothing else!) but essentially Bridget Jones has split from Mark Darcy some years ago. She's been single for a while and has a one-night stand with a very handsome American (Patrick Dempsey) who turns out to be a billionaire internet entrepreneur. A few days later she gets drunk and hooks up with Marc Darcy after a christening. A few weeks later she takes a pregnancy test, and then has no idea who the baby's father is. She declines an amniocentesis so spends the entire pregnancy with the two potential fathers fighting over both her and the baby.

It's a very strong cast, Emma Thompson in particular is a wonderful addition as Bridget's obstetrician, as is Sarah Solemani who plays Bridget's friend and colleague, the TV presenter Miranda. The scenes at the TV station are very amusing.

You know you're in for a 100% happy ending with a film like this, so you can really sit back and enjoy the ride. There's only one way the plot could really end, but it does very well to keep you guessing nonetheless.

I have no idea why this movie only (as of writing this) only has an average review of 6.2. I can only imagine that the kinds of people who like to sneer at anything "feel good" or romantic simply spend their time trashing such films.

To sum up: it's a very entertaining and enjoyable film. It would probably be best to see the first Bridget Jones film first (you could easily skip the second) or at least have read the book, but even if this is your first "Bridget Experience", you'll have a good time watching it.

For the fans, if they'll have it

Author: pauhaa
14 December 2016

Why did I watch this? I can't say I was ever a fan, I never read the books, but I have seen the original film many times. I re-watched it not long ago, and had to admit it had worn out for me, but that's probably my own fault. It's not meant to be seen every holiday season. Still, it has very good timing and it's bittersweet. Bridget Jones' Baby doesn't and isn't. It's dragging and it would make absolutely no sense to anyone not familiar with the first ones. The millennial characters are unfunny and implausible, the writing there is both patronizing and eager to please, like me following my friend's teenage son on Instagram and commenting YOLO. Pussy Riot and cats that look like Hitler... and the next minute jokes about human rights violations... So, I actually watched for the experience of a 40+ pregnant woman, of any glimpses of successfully acted emotions. And for Colin Firth, and possibly Emma Thompson, although I think I'd now like to forget she has screenplay credit in this. But still, what happened? Was everyone an amateur? It was like the characters from earlier films were all doing cameos. Renee Zellweger was playing herself playing her character 12 years later. No, she was standing in for herself in that role. Her voice was often barely audible, like she was really, really tired.

Not sure what to think

Author: coka-carica
3 December 2016

As with previous Bridget Jones movies i have stoped watching it somewhere in the middle because it always seems to be so Long,and ,honestly kinda repetitive - Bridget seems to be real mess this time,getting pregnant because she used old condoms and didn't believe in expiry date - like this woman is like 40-50 ,the better option for the plot would have been if she began to think that she is in menopause and that she cant have children anymore or something like that - i don't want to bash it as much as it seems as i am doing because it is not THAT bad,its actually quite ---- OK continuation of the story ,with actors and actresses not looking out of place in their characters despite the time that has passed from the last movie,and also Renes face actually looked like her old face,i was afraid i wont be able to recognize her as lovely chubby,red faced Bridget because i saw some of her recent red carpet pictures .

All in all i gave it a 5,and its actually quite positive 5