IMDb > "The Garfield Show" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Garfield Show" More at IMDbPro »

My childhood lies in ruins

Author: timgneher from United States
3 June 2010

If you've been witnessing the slow but sure descent of Jim Davis's classic comic strip into repetitive, agoraphobic oblivion with the same sickening disgust as I have, well then get ready for his new TV show. I'm sure you can't wait.

You won't like this show just because you like Garfield, or used to like Garfield. Nostalgia can't win out this time. It doesn't stand a chance. There is no liking this show. It is not possible. It treats your love for its protagonist the same way Garfield treats talking scales, it stomps all over it and leaves it crushed and insulted.

I grew up with Garfield. I learned to read by reading Garfield comic books. I was addicted to reruns of Garfield and Friends, the first and only Garfield show that deserves to exist. I was all set to give this show a chance. Heck, I even found the movies tolerable. This show is not.

Try simply getting past how this show LOOKS. I go to an art school, I've seen Freshman animation projects that look as good. It's about on par with those xtranormal.com cartoons people make. Jittery animation that looks like it's taking place in Balloon Land. Jimmy Neutron's show looked better 8 years ago.

And if you do get past that somehow, then try picking out a single joke. I sat through three episodes, I saw about four moments in total that looked like you were even SUPPOSED to laugh. I'm not sure if the writers knew this was supposed to be a comedy. Slow paced and lethargic, wandering and pointless. Paying attention to it is a chore. Even the music is bad.

Garfield sounds like he has a speech impediment. Jon looks like an insomniac or a drunk. Liz looks like Jon in drag. She's now his girlfriend, which you already know if you've abused yourself by reading the daily comics too. Figure that one out. It's like watching a new Peanuts show that takes place in college.

In summery, it looks and plays like it cost a dime to make. The end product isn't worth that much. Hooray for another cheap cash-in via Jim Davis, I thank you, the world thanks you. You've successfully proved that Garfield means as much to you as political parties mean to Arlen Specter, he's nothing but your big fat hairy cash cow. I hope he continues making you lots and lots of money for a long time, just know that none of it will be mine.

Do yourself a favor. Forget Garfield. Forget this show. Go read the older books and maybe rent a few seasons of the REAL Garfield show. You can just pretend he died of a massive coronary sometime in 2003.

You either like it, or don't like it. Its your choice.

Author: TheCartoonfaxuator from United States
16 March 2013

In this review I'm only talking about the facts. That should explain to you why it got a 6 instead of a 1 or a 2 compared to other reviewers.

The Garfield Show isn't a good cartoon, but shouldn't be watched as a last resort if their is nothing good on the TV. The first thing that should be said about the show is that it has very well done graphics. These are what Garfield characters should look like in 3D animation. The characters act like how they should, and have pretty good voices. Thank goodness. There is only one true problem with the show. A majority of their episode have poor stories. 35% of their plots are good. The rest are mediocre. There is this one episode where Garfield saved the Earth from alien Lasagnas. Yeah that's some story. One thing the Garfield show does perfectly, is breaking the forth wall. Even though it's way over used, It's good to know that it's never done badly. The Garfield Show is a cartoon that could have done better. In the end it stayed decent.

Bland and forgettable

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
10 February 2014

While I don't hate this series, I don't like it very much either.

"The Garfield Show" pales in comparison with the vastly superior "Garfield and Friends", lacking the brilliant satirical angle which made that cartoon one of the best animations from the late eighties.

While "Garfield and Friends" had a clever sense of humor which made it enjoyable for kids and adults alike, "The Garfield Show" is way more childish, with more simplistic jokes and stories.

Without being terrible,"The Garfield Show" is frankly unremarkable and easy to forget.

Well, at least is much better than the awful live action movies.

Great show though Isn't a sequel to Garfield and friends.

Author: Bloo Guy from United States
19 November 2013

I've seen shows trying to copy or remake the old one, but 70% of the time it ends up a total failure and gets canceled after the first 3 episodes. This show however wasn't made for adults, you can obviously tell with all the cliché jokes and the same plot line.

There is one thing you have to thank this show for, keeping Garfield alive and strong. Kids aren't in to comic books, or comic "strips" as much as they were 2 decades ago, Since Garfield isn't really adapted to TV yet since the 1980s or so (sorry if I'm wrong I'm 15) The spirit of Garfield might of just died out if it wasn't for change and I think this is it, getting CHILDREN to like this show so who knows maybe one of them will carry on Garfield through another 20 years or so? we could only hope Garfield lives as long as it can even if we have to go through some change.

Oh and I never actually reviewed this show, I think its pretty funny at times I actually like the animation style its not to much I think the way Jon runs makes me laugh the most (not the way he was animated but the way he was meant to walk)I honestly think any kid would like this show, but I know really long Garfield fans would have a hard time to adjust.

Wow, this is bad.

Author: has_no_pseudonym from US
2 January 2011

If I could give this show zero stars I would.

As a reenvisioning of "Garfield and Friends" it's atrocious. As a new strip-to-cartoon it's poor. As a cartoon show in its own right it's pretty bad. Sort of the level of super cheap, "let's throw together some drivel, the little kids watching this won't know what they're missing" sort of feel to it.

Garfield doesn't resemble Garfield from either the original show or the strips. There's no sarcasm, no confidence, no wit, no humor. What few jokes there are fall flat. The only reason Odie sounds right is because they got the same actor to voice him. Jon, instead of being an awkward, moronic sort of man, is a flailing pushover and frankly, boring. Where's his anger and impatience with Garfield's antics? (Maybe I need to see more episodes to see that, but...I really don't want to watch more than I have.)

The animation is sub par and erratic. The writing is just...bad. If the original "Garfield and Friends" was on the same level it would have flopped and not lasted seven seasons.

Uuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Author: njnya from United States
5 September 2011

(This is me and my friend's review).

This is the worst show since Out of Jimmy's Head. The animation... where do I start. I KNOW! I'll start with the trees....FLAT. It's animated in 3D, but most of back ground props are 2D. Plus there's pretty much no texture in anything. The grass is just a flat plane of green with a few 2D sprigs here and there. Well, at least the characters have shadows.... do they? I don't know.

Another thing is the camera angles. The camera moves around a lot, sometimes the camera will pointlessly rotate around the entire area. In one episode, when the camera stopped rotating, it stopped behind a tree and half of the screen was covered by the tree.

What about the humor?

70% of humor = Jokes about Garfield's eating habits.

10% of humor = "Fourth wall" jokes.

20% of humor = other

Ya, most of the jokes are about Garfield's eating habits with some fourth wall jokes here and there. It's only made me come close to laughing once, maybe twice. Another thing is how there's not very many jokes in the show.

The Plots: I NEED LASAGNA, I NEED PIZZA, BUY ME FOOD, I'M FAT, I NEED MORE FOOD, I NEED SOMEONE TO COMPLEMENT ME ON HOW SKINNY I AM( His owner: Loose weight Garfield)! Also he can be kind of a jerk to some of the other characters, For example: beating up Nermel, throwing Odie out of the house ext. Other than that, the plots are mostly average like some guy being mean to his animal and then getting arrested.

Color scheme: The colors are mostly off like one scene (as seen by my friend) John's shirt was light blue in one scene and then dark blue in the next.

My friend says the character design is ugly because they are all round, and they lack shading.

It's hard to believe this show has over 150 episodes.

Over all, this show lacks in most categories. It's basically just your average kid's show (and below average in animation). Me: turns on TV, TV: Next up, back to back primers of the Garfield show, and after that, Johnny Test, and after that, more Garfield show! Me: Uuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Not the Garfield we grew up with

Author: celestial-flight from United States
10 January 2010

I believe the previous reviewer is a bit misinformed. She acts as though Garfield never had a show when he, in fact, did. It was a cartoon show in the late 80s to early 90s called "Garfield and Friends." That show was far superior this one.

While the animation of this particular show is nice to look at, I feel it lacks the charm of the earlier show. The deliveries are flat and in many ways Garfield is not acting himself. Furthermore, I find myself missing US Acres, which was in included in "Garfield and Friends." If you are a fan of the show, you might be disappointed, but you can give a try to see if it's your... cup of lasagna? (Sorry, that was bad.)

New show has NONE of the charm of "Garfield & Friends"

Author: firefox335 from United States
4 June 2010

I couldn't agree more with timgneher's review. I'll add my 2 cents as well.

My daughter was watching this show and I sat down to give it a chance myself. Although the animation was very amateurish (in the vein of "Sid The Science Kid"), I decided to give it a try. I knew off the bat that since Lorenzo Music's death, any Garfield show wouldn't be "as good" as the Garfield of the late 80s/early 90s, but I thought it might be able to hold its own. I was sadly mistaken.

Even though I was thirteen when "Garfield & Friends" debuted, the show was so well written that you couldn't help but love it. The best part about it was the tongue-in-cheek jokes and pop culture references only the adults would get.

For example: "Hello, this is Garfield your doorman." - a reference to Garfield voice actor Lorenzo Music's roll on the 70s TV show "Rhoda".

Jon makes Garfield a bet that he can't go a whole day without watching TV. The TV comes to life and tries to entice Garfield to watch it. When Garfield unplugs the set, the TV counters with "Garfield, what are you doing? We had such fun together. Gaaarrrrfiieeelld... Gaaarrrrfiieeelld... ggiiivvveee mmeee yyooouuurrr aannnsswwweeerrr dddoooo" - a reference to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The list goes on. To me it was always as if the writers were saying to weary parents, "Yeah, we know you're up early with your kids on your day off, we feel your pain." The new show has none of that. Not one bit. It's geared solely to young elementary school aged children who don't notice just how much substance it lacks. The only similarity to the Garfield of old is that this show also stars a fat lasagna loving cat named Garfield. Jon and Odie are equally one-dimensional. I'm so thankful that Bill Waterson never let Calvin or Hobbs go though this kind of indignity (although, showing such respect for his own work maybe proof that he could have gone on for decades more.) Even Berke Breathed and Gary Larson's commercial success was always tempered with respect to their creation. It's clear that Jim Davis sees Garfield as his own personal ATM. He has that right of course, but it doesn't make it any less pitiful.

Mediocrity? Thy name is "The Garfield Show."

Worst show I have ever watched!

Author: Bored Ham
27 December 2013

I grew up reading the Garfield comic books. I used to watch Garfield and Friends on TV but I found this sh-- on Netflix and I decided to give it a shot. The animation is ugly as crap and looks like cheap plastic, especially for something that aired in 2008. Another thing, they copy other episodes that they did. There are 2 episodes where Jon wins the freakin lottery! And they actually "lose" it in both of the episodes. What else... Oh yeah! They even reuse the characters you see walking in the street! I usually see a guy in a green shirt with glasses and gray hair. You see him in a TV show playing his guitar. Then, you see him dating someone inside Vito's. Then, you see him in a game show and then you find him eating ice cream in a buffet not minding his own business which looks nothing like a f--king buffet. Oh yeah! The show is very cheap and probably costs $100 to make. The facial animation looks like sh--. Sometimes, you see the characters head go through a wall. The voice acting is poor.

Boring, clichè and random

Author: joachim005 from Norway
14 October 2013

I've loved the Garfield specials and the TV show, Garfield and Friends. I am a huge fan of this lazy, orange cat and looked forward to this new 3D-animated show. It was a mistake I should've never done. The first episode I watched was about invading lasagnas. The episode airing on TV now is a recent episode about robots invading the earth. It's basically the same episode, just slightly altered! The next episode was about Odie falling in love with a hair-brush (A watered down version of Rocko's Modern Life, perhaps), not to mention those horrible "pot of gold" and "dog contest" episodes, which has already been in countless cartoon.

Garfield talks in this show by moving his lips, which means humans can understand him in this show. This makes it a lot easier for the writers to solve his problems in the most typical ways.

There's very few reasons to even like this show. It has everything you've watched on TV before, but sugar-coated by using a popular cartoon character. The writing is horrible, the voices are annoying and the animation is mediocre at best. You can clearly see why they chose 3D- animation (Psst! Low production costs!).