IMDb > Monsters (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monsters

Monsters More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 44: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Awful. Really boring.

Author: j-michelle-jr from Australia
4 May 2015

Bad acting, badly written, badly directed, really boring and not at all attention-grabbing. I can't think of a single thing I liked about this movie. I waited until the big event that would change my mind, but it never came. I have no idea why this has a score of 6.4? It seems as though the writer took a fascination to war of the worlds and wrote a cheap knock off. Seems as though it's a movie from 1990 instead of 2010. Soooo many flaws in logic and common sense within this terribly written story, and the ending was terrible. This movie had so much potential. But it was never realized. A good movie should introduce the characters and scenario, progress to the problem or event of interest, and then act to resolve the issue. This movie failed at that. They had an introduction, but it lacked interest, as did every other scene after that.

Well made, but uneventful

Author: picard-585-784088 from Greece
19 April 2015

6.5* The main idea of the film is good - life in a post-alien invasion land, seen much like any war zone. The acting is good, the socio-political themes subtly present without being pompous, nor condescending, the plot flows realistically, the evolving romance is, well, all too expected but not forced. The problem is that, largely due to budget restrictions, the film supposedly goes for an unseen menace feel, except you don't feel menaced at all. Even when the creatures attack, it doesn't feel very threatening. In fact, you get the impression they just want to be left alone and don't really care to hurt anyone. There is no real climax in the film, leaving you with a feeling that something was missing.

Decent film, but lacking in sci-fi with a surplus of romance.

Author: picodroid from United States
2 April 2015

Full spoilers below.

This film has a good premise, giant mysterious aliens arrive on earth and wreak havoc by just doing what they naturally do. We've seen this before, and we'll see it again.

The sci-fi elements start out with promise of some wild creatures, and the landscape gives tons of opportunities for them to make an appearance. However, what we're left with is 3 solid scenes with these alien creatures. Aside from their biol luminescent (wtf, IMDb won't let me post the word if spelled with a dash or the word b i o) "tree mushroom" eggs, there's only the adult aliens that we see. Monsters does NOT mean multiple species, it means multiples of one species. That was a pretty big disappointment. Plenty of situations take place that are begging for tiger-sized creatures to come barreling at them.

The scene with the monster in the jungle, and at the end at the gas station built up some excellent tension that falls flat on its face. Amazingly our two main actors get away from them without a scratch by pretty much being out in the open. Their reactions to these behemoths are as small as the monsters are big. Their reactions to these creatures are also perplexing. In the jungle scene the guy talks loudly when the Mexican guides tell them to shut up, and the girl just cries. Who cries in a situation like this? Who talks loudly?

The scene at the end is more frustrating. The girl does the smart thing and tries to hide from the tentacles encroaching on her, turns off the TV it's gathering energy from. Upon its exit, we see the man stand up and just stare at the monster under the light of the gas station. Not an ounce of fear. If any emotion, possible wonder but I'm pretty sure anyone in their right mind would be defecating themselves with adrenaline. And what's this? Oh, the girl walked outside from the safety of the building she just got the monster out of.

That leads to the following scene where another monster approaches. This is somehow supposed to link to the love between the two main actors, as the monsters entangle with each other then walk separate ways, mirroring how the two stars met and will split.

And my ultimate gripe is with this love story. For starters, it's not necessary. The girl gets butt hurt when she sees the guy slept with some Mexican local at the harbor. Why? She just met him the day before, and he's done nothing but control her the entire time. There were no warming moments between them, she just falls in love and throws a fit right away. This gives him the signal that he messed up and ultimately falls in love with her. While they don't really vocalize this, the movie tries to display it in a boring, and frankly plot-killing, manner. The only good thing is they didn't spend an obscene amount of time on this romance.

While there are many other things I found brought down the quality of the movie, it wasn't horrible. The acting is alright, the dialog is bearable, and the cinematography is pretty good. Most of the special effects are pretty good, although some of the lighting on the military vehicles and monsters were a bit off.

I did find myself drawn into the tense scenes, and the movie flowed along at a good pace. If you like sci-fi and can stand some romance mixed in, you'll find this to be a good enough movie to kill some time with.

Leave-you-hanging Thriller

Author: Cameron Day from Australia
31 March 2015

In this thrilling movie, filled with stunning jaw-dropping sceneries and a thrilling plot, you will be left(as the cliché says it) On the edge of your seat. The beautiful scenes of Mexico and the quality acting, this movie is a definite recommend.

As you go through the thrilling journey together with Samantha and Andrew, you will be left tossing and turning at night pondering over thinking it is almost reality.

One thing is for sure, hang on to your heels for a stunning scenery, action thriller!

Mostly dull

Author: begob from the Undertow
15 March 2015

Road movie as two gringos make their way back home through alien infested Mexico.

Well, it sure ain't an action movie. Between the opening and ending sequences there is one encounter with the aliens, and the pace is slooow. What you're looking at here is a tragic love story that gets its power from the loop-back at the end. As the reviewer below points out, you have to pay close attention to the opening sequence.

Apart from that I wasn't impressed, since it takes 60 mins to get the lead characters into danger, and even that scene pales by comparison with, say, the first T-Rex encounter in JP.

The characters lost a lot of my sympathy through their incompetence over the passport. Also they're a fairly dull pair with banal observations, and the guy has that annoying Anglo habit of jabbering in English at the uncomprehending natives.

Lots of people saying there's political allegory in this, but I don't see it. That's like saying LotR is a comment on fascism.

But it is a well made movie. Story not so much.

Life is Short

Author: calipic from United States
27 February 2015

Big-explosion, cartoon-character, utterly forgettable sci-fi is a dime a dozen these days. Done well, big budget sci-fi can be amazing ("Aliens" still stands the test of time). But most of what's shown in our local theaters is designed to NOT challenge the viewer; its purpose is to reassure the moviegoer that things will always end up the way they should.

If your sci-fi tastes are broad enough to include slower-paced films that try to touch your heart, check out the badly-titled "Monsters." (By the way, also check out "Looper," and "Never Let Me Go," and some of the episodes of "Black Mirror.")

Major Spoiler Alert

IMHO, those who say "Monsters" is merely an allegory for the plight of illegal aliens are missing the main point of the movie.

To me, the point of the movie is that life is short, and you must grab hold of love whenever it presents itself -- because you may lose it (love, and life) all too soon. Andrew and Samantha wait until the end of the movie to acknowledge their love -- with a deeply passionate kiss -- END OF FILM. But in the next few minutes, they will lose that love.

If you stream or rent "Monsters," replay the beginning of the movie, and you'll realize that the first 5 minutes of the movie are the END of the movie. After Andrew and Samantha kiss, they are separated by the military and placed in a convoy, which is attacked by one of the aliens. At the "beginning" of the movie, the night-vision sequence glimpses Andrew screaming, with the dead body of Samantha in his arms. (After the night-vision sequence, the movie actually skips back in time, to before when Andrew and Sam met.)

So, kudos to Gareth Edwards for crafting a story that's not about monsters, but about our fear of opening ourselves to love, even when it's staring us in the face. Wait at your own peril.

Fresh and brilliantly watchable

Author: Amy Barton from New Zealand
22 January 2015

I wish I'd reviewed this film soon after I saw it, but of the many films I've watched across many genres, this one has stayed with me and I intend to watch it again.

The acting is simply superb. The cast & crew interviews, if you watch them, give a clue as to why. The two lead actors are a real-life couple and the film benefits from their on-screen chemistry, but doesn't rely upon it. The cast is incredibly small and the film makes use of ad-libbed performances that lend a particularly authentic feel to it. The scenery, too, is beautiful.

I don't think there's a single truly original idea left in the sci-fi genre, as writers and directors inevitably borrow from each other, but while this film has been compared to District 9 and Cloverfield, both of which I enjoyed, it is NOT those films - it is unique in its own right. It brings a film-festival feel to a genre dominated by Hollywood explosions and CGI monsters. This is shoestring budget/sci fi film well-executed.

At 94 minutes, it's short and sweet. I don't envy those on the cutting room floor - I would have wept. Nothing superfluous here.

Author: Guillermo Bosque from Saltillo, México.
5 January 2015

Summary: Gareth Edwards' impressive debut "Monsters" is an interesting, original and economically effective sci-fi flick. 84/100 (B+)

Six years ago NASA discovered the possibility of alien life within our solar system. A probe was launched to collect samples, but crashed upon re-entry over Central America. Soon after, new life form began to appear and half of Mexico was quarantined as an infected zone. Today, the American and Mexican military still struggle to contain "the creatures". Our story begins when a US journalist agrees to escort a shaken tourist through the infected zone in Mexico to the safety of the US border.

I really like this film, maybe because I live in Saltillo, Mexico; my location is part of "the infected zone" and I found it exciting for some reason. Gareth Edwards is one of my new favorite directors; all his films (this one and Godzilla) have something in common, both rely on the human perspective in a devastating situation. Edwards is the only one who knows how to make a film about monsters, without showing too much of the monsters themselves. The movie had a very low budget but it didn't looked crappy at all.

The two main leads have chemistry between each other and I also loved when the girl and some other characters in the film talked in Spanish, the script was very well done. This couple was likable and their relationship ended up well without being too predictable. Overall, it was a very interesting journey. A must see if you're a huge fan of indie movies. The special effects are modest and wisely good, of course they are not mind-blowing and you will not see monsters destroying cities but it is still a pretty great indie flick. (B+)

It's about aliens, but the title was taken

Author: h0bkn0b from Brisbane, Australia
30 December 2014

Rarely have my expectations been so subverted. This is an excellent, conceptual sci-fi piece, which, obviously enough, is about the alien in all of us. It takes on expectations of fear, horror and the other, in many different places: the genuinely otherworldly, violence, the foreign and the other within ourselves and, while letting you know where it's going the whole time, still surprising with nuance it manages in getting there. The pacing is slow but lyrical and the ambient music score is unusual in cinema and quite winning. I only commented because -so often- IMDb ratings vastly outweigh the quality of a film and I was so surprised to see this only rated a 6.4. This is what sci-fi should be like.

Boring

Author: NameAlreadyTaken from India
22 November 2014

English is not my first language so please spare me.

This movie was boring. Now, I understand that this movie is primarily about two people falling in love in unusual conditions. I fail to understand how this is rated so high. They used monsters so sparingly that they didn't really need any monsters. These two people were just travelling, talking casually and travelling, walking, driving. The love connection was not very strong. I might have liked a bit more action / monsters. But the director was using the monsters as only a background for a love story. So, its OK but the love story at least should be engaging / involving / romantic / sad / emotional / whatever that doesn't make you wonder what the hell you are watching.

One can call it an art movie and simply say "You didn't get it / Why every movie has to contain explosions? etc. etc.". But simply, this movie was just boring.

Now, there are monsters but barely. No action.

Dialogues - Average. Nothing emotional / strong.

OK. The love portion better be good. But NO. The connection was very weak. Nothing special and doesn't get you involved too much.

It kind of felt confused. Its like two people travelling together and THE END.

Definitely, not recommended.