IMDb > Abandoned (2010) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

So Sorry Brittany

Author: L8knight from Chicago
22 August 2010

They should have burned the work print out of respect for B.M! This "movie" gets my pick for worst movie I have seen in 2010. I'm sorry, I really liked Brittany and hate to see this as the last thing she put out before her tragic death. The acting, the writing, the story, the lighting, the continuity...everything is just pathetic. Its completely low budget, or at least the quality of the work is. Save yourself the 2 hours, you'd be better off watching grass grow.

*I only write reviews for really amazing movies or REALLY horrible movies. This is my first review in years, if that helps you judge how awful this was.

Off the street actors?

Author: Kenneth Bates from United States
20 August 2010

I have never written a review on IMDb even though I view this site daily and have for 5 or 6 years. I'm not a movie snob; I'm like most people: I want to be entertained or made to think because of what I am viewing.

This movie could have been quite good. It isn't. Brittany M. was fine, but no one else was. The minor roles were cast with unknowns. Their acting was as poor as you'll find in a studio produced motion picture. This must have been done on a "shoe string" as everything about it appears cheaply done. You'll notice that the guns sound like cap guns.

Beyond its predictability, I think what bothered me most was the amateurish acting of everyone except Murphy and the Lieutenant; even Cain was poor. Was it poor direction and a bad script that created this serious flaw? I don't know. I do know that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

As bad as it gets

Author: ChrisMichael81 from United States
20 August 2010

I don't know if I should feel bad about what I'm about to say seeing as Mrs Murphy is dead but whatever. Simply put this movie was terrible. Everyone in the movie came off as being in the wrong place. There were a few actors that seemed like their acting skills would be best served in the adult entertainment industry. Brittany Murphy looked like she was about to die. Whoever did her hair should probably not work in films or be near anyone's hair again ,,, EVER. It was kinda hard to watch her. She reminded me of a skeleton with hair gel and huge artificial lips. So the story. A woman goes to the hospital with her boyfriend and she loses him and could not find him. Well that's pretty much it. I wouldn't even recommend renting this one. It makes no sense, it is not believable, the story, acting and everything else is beyond terrible.

Good plot!

Author: peaches-dl from United Kingdom
15 January 2012

Although this film has not had the best of reviews, I decided to watch it for myself. I'm glad with my decision, as I was glued to the screen from start to finish and would say that it was not the disappointment as previous viewers had hinted.

I will admit that after a short while it was easy to guess what was going on with the plot, but even so I was still rather pleasantly surprised with the couple of twists that lay in store for me. I'm not convinced that some of the supporting cast were that great, particularly Scott Anthony Leet who I felt was rather 'wooden'. However, the main characters certainly got my vote.

It's rather sad that we wont be seeing any more of Brittany Murphy.

A good send-off for Brittany Murphy

Author: Joecool1-1 from United States
4 August 2010

Her real-life death was tragic. Also sad her last movie was direct-to-video. It's a decent-to-good movie, but retreads grounds covered by many movies in the same genre. If it had struck out on it's own and paved new ground, or tried harder to be original the film could have been a better send-off for Brittany's career. All credit to the actress for a fine performance, especially considering she was gravely ill. It's far from Heath Ledger as Joker, but given the material she does a pretty good job. Interesting to note that she looked ill throughout the movie and I don't think it was an intended look. At times she was ghastly, sunken face black rings around her eyes. According to Wikipedia she was severely anemic (losing blood) which explains her paleness and ghastly appearance. She was also suffering from pneumonia.

Dean Cain does a fine job of playing her mysterious boyfriend, able to play the good guy well and leave you wondering about his motivations because he has played villainous roles since his Superman days. Mimi Rogers plays the hospital administrator well making you wonder if she is part of a conspiracy or just doing her job. Overall, this is pretty much a mystery and thriller movie. The downside is once the mystery is revealed (and it is done a bit too soon in my opinion)then it begins to retread many movies of the same vein, once I saw the big "reveal" everything that came after was standard formula and very predictable.

The movie is nice as a rental but I advise you rent it and not blind-buy it. If you like what you see it's a nice movie to have in a collection, not a must-buy, but if you like Brittany Murphy and want to own her last screen appearance then I recommend getting this. Had she not died it still would have been a decent movie, not great but worthy of seeing and maybe owning. I liked her outing in Across The Hall (and having just looked it up the rating for that was a 6 too but thought that was better than this). Maybe this is knocked down to a 5 because of a lack of originality and the acting in the latter half of the movie. I won't be surprised if the fan rating is higher based on her death.

It's a decent movie, but been rehashed plenty of times before (notably a lot of Ashley Judd 90's movies). It starts out well and keeps a good mystery going until one point in the film where you knew where everything was heading down a very worn path made by much better films like Double Jeopardy. Maybe I am overrating it due to the actress's death, but I kinda liked the movie. Read my review here -

Farewell Brittany Murphy you will be missed.

Author: mdnobles19 from United States
1 September 2010

An pretty simple but suspenseful thriller that to me is very similar to Flightplan but set in a hospital. It had an very hitchcock like vibe to it as the innocent Mary Walsh who is played by the lovely Brittany Murphy what is tragically her last role is accused of being crazy when she reports that her boyfriend of 4 years is missing from the hospital and finds out that they have no record of him being there. This was a pretty basic movie when it came to action and it was almost borderline lifetime movie of the week to me but it was very watchable and kind of kept me on the edge of my seat guessing why this was all happening to her and the twist which I kind of saw coming from a mile away was pretty messed up but still pretty standard though. The acting was mostly on the weaker side but Brittany Murphy's performances always has this charm to them but you can sadly tell that her state of health wasn't good in this movie and it looked like they tried to hide it by putting a lot of makeup on her but her hair looked greasy and crusty it was tragic to see. Overall it wasn't the best movie ever and I've seen it done better before but if you like Brittany Murphy you should check it out because she pretty much saves the movie from completely sucking but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. More of a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Good - would watch it again sometime.

Author: Don Shroyer from United States
17 November 2010

Brittany Murphy had that something special. A certain look, an allure, a presence. As the French say, a certain something I don't know what. You see it in this movie. It's a drama/mystery/suspense flick that for some reason went direct to video.

Brittany drops off her boyfriend (Dean Cain) at the hospital for routine, out patient surgery. Except when she goes to pick him up, no one seems to know anything about him. He's not in the computer, his doctor is on vacation, and no one recognizes his nurse's name. Brittany gives a very good performance as the increasingly worried girl friend, seemingly losing the only man she has really connected with in a long time, or ever. Someone who has been there for her, and now, despite her best efforts, she can't be there for him. Peter Bogdanovich is also good as the creepy psychiatrist who suspects Brittany is suffering from a mental break down, a suspicion fueled by her current high dose anti-depressant meds and an unlikely story reeking of paranoia.

Supporting cast include Mimi Rogers as the clueless hospital administrator, Jay Pickett as the police detective with his own issues who is still good enough to follow the clues to the end, and Scott Anthony Leet as the intimidating security guard. Each give a competent performance that is credible.

The suspense is "edge of your seat" quality, and you can not be sure of the ending until it happens. Some (including me) might think it fairly obvious based on the plot clues, but that part is only the beginning of the twists.

As Brittany's final performance, this one is good enough to make you want to watch again sometime. Ultimately, it makes you wish she had longer to show us what she had.

A mildly interesting idea ruined by cheap and lazy production

Author: Lord Catnip from United States
15 November 2010

There is a germ of a good idea in this film, playing to the common fear of hospitals and the lack of control one feels in the hands of doctors and administrators.

But the production values are so cheap and direction unimaginative that it would be embarrassing quality for TV. Aside from Ms Murphy (for we shall not speak ill of the dead) the acting is almost universally terrible.

The entire thing appears to be shot in a few rooms, stairwells and a parking garage with one camera, while odd music plays constantly in an effort to generate tension that a script riddled with implausible dialog cannot. Utter waste of time.

For die hard Brittany Murphy fans only

Author: nedcasey54 from United States
18 September 2010

There are so many movies with this plot set up. After a quick introduction, something happens to one member of a group or pair and they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. Okay, fine. Why watch yet another one? Perhaps some clever writer has come up with an interesting plot twist to this tired old story line.

Maybe in some other movie, but not here. As with so many other films, the set up is not bad, not great, but more than watchable, mainly because of Brittany Murphy. Dean Cain is, at best, acceptable. At worst he is execrable. As is nearly everyone else. But they are all hampered, even Ms. Murphy, in spots, by terrifically bad writing. Even a short period of time researching would help provide more authentic feeling dialogue for Peter Bogdanovich's psychiatrist who, after a two minute interview, declares Brittany's character to be suffering from 'mental illness'. Sorry, but I think a little more detail than 'I think she might be mental' would be forthcoming from a believable character in this role.

And towards the end as a maniac, screaming, panting security guard looking to shoot Ms. Murphy's character is stalking her, he's running his mouth with a 'come out, come out, wherever you are' patter, as does everyone else trying to kill her. Sure, come out so we can shoot you. No problem, she'll be right out. Is this the best the writer could do? This doesn't even work as parody. At least parody would have the benefit of being funny. This is just weak, lazy writing.

The film is watchable for the first two thirds. The last section is lame, entering into painful for the viewer. Plenty of Film School 101 tilted camera work and tired, tired, tired reliance on surveillance video to help propel a DOA narrative.

How do movies like this get made? Why would someone like Bogdanovich agree to play in such dreck? Or Murphy, for that matter? I guess she really was sick towards the end. But she does a credible job stuck with far below average writing and a poor plot, the twists of which are no more than slightly bent.

If you're a Brittany Murphy fan, go back and rent her earlier stuff. Her last lines are not exactly deathless.

The Logic Vanishes

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
12 July 2014

Los Angeles bank manager Brittany Murphy (as Mary Walsh) accompanies her boyfriend to the hospital. They have been dating for only four months, but it looks like a convergence of soul-mates. Hobbling in on a crutch, stocky insurance salesman Dean Cain (as Kevin Peterson) is there to have an operation on his knee. Promising to wait, Ms. Murphy goes to the hospital cafeteria for some coffee and spends some additional time in the waiting room. When she receives no update, Murphy begins inquiring about Mr. Cain's status. She is startled to discover nobody at the hospital has heard of Cain or his operation – in fact, he appears to have disappeared. Murphy wants to file a missing persons report, but twitchy police officer Jay Pickett (as Franklin) has to wait 24 hours. He and the staff try to find Cain, but begin to wonder if Murphy may be crazy...

Murphy's hair looks like it hasn't been washed in weeks; also, there a distinct line showing her darker roots. On top of this most obvious trait, she often appears unwell, hiding a gaunt face under sometimes ghastly make-up and a lip poof. Despite all of this, we are supposed to believe Murphy is a "high-powered career woman" who is trusted to manage $10 million deals. No wonder Mimi Rogers and Peter Bogdanovich act suspicious. Perhaps Murphy needed more time to recover from cosmetic surgery. Possibly, everyone was on schedule and had to finish the movie by a target date. Years ago, a production like this would have been halted after the first rushes, and re-shooting ordered for the lead actress. That there seems to be something seriously wrong only adds to the sadness upon hearing the "Abandoned" star died before this mystery was released.

** Abandoned (8/24/10) Michael Feifer ~ Brittany Murphy, Dean Cain, Jay Pickett, Tim Thomerson

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]