IMDb > MacGruber (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Extreme.

Author: from United States
11 September 2010

Either you're hanging your head in shameful embarrassment or you're laughing your ass off. MacGruber is pretty extreme. It is a ridiculously over-the-top, stupid and vulgar comedy, but it's FUNNY AS HELL.

HARD R rating.

Not only are they spoofing MacGyver, but they're poking funny at 80's film style in general. Everything about this movie was funny. They did an excellent job mocking just about every single aspect of the genre. Pay attention to the details.

Honestly, I don't understand all the negative feedback. Just don't let your momma watch it.

Changed my mood! (insert smiley face)

Author: mikabreto from Atlanta, Georgia
4 June 2010

I went into the theater in a sh*tty mood: I had to pay for tickets, drinks and snacks, plus my hemorrhoid was flaring, so I was not in a mood to sit. It all changed for me after the first 2 minutes of the movie. I daresay it cured my medical condition right up, since I was clenching my buttocks so hard in laughter. This movie's mission is to make you laugh and laugh and I swear this one lady p*ssed her pants. Just to give an idea of how crass the humor is, think of the dirtiest humor you've ever seen and double it. The back-to-back over-the-top sex scenes are hilariously well-timed, and the little touches like the Blaupunkt motif and the hilariously outdated eighties music are also great reasons to recommend this movie to Mature audiences.

Funniest Movie I've Seen For A Long Time.

Author: djsneakypeaky from United Kingdom
30 August 2010

I saw a trailer for this film which looked pretty good so I decided to watch it.

The trailer doesn't do it justice. Absolutely Hilarious is the best way to describe this movie. I had seen the previous sketches and the film is so much better.

Don't get me wrong many will probably be offended by the coarse language used (hence the bad reviews) and the antics MacGruber gets up to. But if you are not easily offended I'm sure you will enjoy this movie as much as I did.

A Cheesy, Offensive, Action Comedy that I couldn't stop laughing at. Definitely one to watch again and again.

Incredibly Funny!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
25 May 2010

I saw this a few hours ago with a friend, and I thought it was very funny! Will Forte and Kristen Wiig were the perfect comedic team. It it filled to the brim with comedy, and action. This is now one of my favorite movies of the year. The jokes were very dirty, very silly, and very dumb, but I loved every minute of it. A man named Dieter Von Cunth is in possession of a X-5 missile, which contains a nuclear warhead. Colonel Faith needs the help of MacGruber to stop him. MacGruber teams up with his long time friend named Vicki St. Elmo, and a rookie named Lt. Dixon Piper. Piper respects him, but doesn't always agree with his silly unorthodox techniques. Will MacGruber be able to save Washington D.C. and stop the bad guy? I highly recommend MACGRUBER!!!

Ripping throats

Author: tphart88 from United States
23 May 2010

I saw this going in with low expectations. Maybe it was because I had such low expectations, or maybe it was because. Was with my best friend who has the same sens if humor as I, but in the end I thought Macgruber was hilarious.

This much dirtier than the past SNL movies, movie, takes the Macgyver spoof clips and creates a feature length film. The common ideas between the sketches and the movie are that Macgruber is a loser trapped in the 80s who is successful about 10% of the time . I kept thinking that I had no idea how they could make an entire movie of a guy getting blown up again and again. I guess I just had no idea that an actual plot could be created. And for most of the movie Macgruber is a loser, but once he starts ripping throats, s*** gets real.

With the recognizable homage to the SNL sketches near the end many laugh out loud moments such as; the old celery trick, humping a gave stone, and multiple intense orgasms, Macgruber did it's job. The creativity and surprisingly enjoyable performances make one forget the few slightly awkward less funny scenes and walk away smiling.

The Agent that does not Use Weapons

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 October 2010

In the Dzhugdzhur Mountains, Eastern Siberia, the criminal Dieter Von Cunth (Val Kilmer) robs a Russian X5 nuclear warhead. Colonel James Faith (Powers Boothe) travels to Rio Bamba, Ecuador, with the efficient Lieutenant Dixon Piper (Ryan Phillippe) to summon the retired special operative MacGruber (Will Forte) to retrieve the X5. MacGruber is considered deceased after the death of his beloved wife Casey (Maya Rudolph) by his archenemy Cunth in their wedding. MacGruber teams up with Piper and Vicki St. Elmo (Kristen Wiig) and they learn that the evil Cunth intends to use the warhead to destroy Washington D.C.

"MacGruber" is a parody of the "MaCGyver", a successful TV series of the 80's. The plot is silly but also funny; the fans of "MacGyver" may enjoy this film and the stupidities of MacGruber, the agent that does not use weapons, more than I did. Anyway it is and entertainment for a Saturday afternoon without soccer on TV. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "Corram Que o Agente Voltou" ("Run Because the Agent is Back")

Absolutely Hilarious

Author: John from United States
28 August 2010

I can't believe some of the reviews for this movie, they missed the jokes and the point completely. This movie is so ridiculous, so over the top, of course you're not supposed to take it seriously. It's goddamn hilarious stuff though, best comedy I've seen in a while. I watched it with three other friends and we were dying, laughing to tears constantly. I think that if you're old, or not into uncomfortable humor then you won't like this movie. If you're in your 20's or 30's then this movie is for you. Do you like the lonely island stuff, snl's digital shorts, the new skits they're doing that are really geared towards younger people? If you do then watch this movie, you'll love it. This should definitely have over a 7 rating here.

Laughed myself silly

Author: donnedb from Ireland
23 June 2010

I went to see this film with absolutely no knowledge of what it was about. I was more then pleasantly surprised.

The set pieces were obvious and you could see what was going to happen ages before it actually happened but that didn't stop this film being funny.

I laughed myself silly on numerous occasions.

THe premise is fairly self explanatory, they tell you whats going on in the first 5 minutes. The characters are a bit one dimensional but MacGruber, his side kicks played by the brilliant Kristen Wiig and the ever handsome Ryan Phillipe were very funny and a great foil for the stupidness that was MacGruber.

This film is definitely not going to win any Oscars or be lasting in your memory but for the duration of the film you will be entertained.

Only go and see if you like this type of Superbad or Role Model-esquire type of films.

Leave your brain at the door and you'll be sorted.

Great fun for those who love parodies, 80's action flicks, and MacGuyver

Author: cadillac20 from Culver City, California
21 May 2010

I was somewhat skeptical going into this film. Although it had gotten good reviews, SNL-based films are hit and miss and Will Forte is not a terribly great comedian in my opinion. But, I found MacGruber to be pleasant, actually. Not in the kind of way that I would take my family to see it, but in the kind of way that it wasn't a serious film and knew exactly what it was doing. And for the most part, it succeeded.

MacGruber's actual plot doesn't matter a whole lot. It's pretty much a string of clichéd plot points leading from one joke to another. But the jokes actually work most of the time. Forte does a pretty decent job of playing the titular character, as he is crass, rude, vulgar, and selfish. He's not the kind of guy you would really root for, and it work in his favor when he makes an ass of himself or screws up. Actually, the majority of the cast works well. Kristen Wiig was my personal favorite, as her comedic timing was great. One of my favorite moments comes between her and Val Kilmer's character towards the end. It had me rolling.

Most of all, the film is a perfect mock up of action films of the 80's. There are some recognizable clichés that are torn apart by MacGruber and his hilarious lack of charm, reminiscent of Austin Powers. One of the funniest parts of the film were the two sex scenes which play out like the sex scene out of Top Gun. The MacGuyver parodies are also easily noticed. Being a big MacGuyver fan, I found them hilarious. From the hair to the gadgets, if you enjoyed MacGuyver, then MacGruber should tickle your funny bone.

It is surprising to see this parody work. It's not a perfect film. I don't know that I could watch it a second time and find it as funny. But I was consistently laughing throughout the film. And, I suppose that's all I can really ask for in a comedy.

Better than the box office numbers give it credit for.

Author: goldwriting from www.theendofthepage.com
28 May 2010

It seems to be the hidden goal of every idea in the universe to end up in movie form. Whether it started as a TV show, comic book, video game or an action figure (possibly featuring kung-fu grip); everything strives to be blown up and projected to a captive audience. Many of them fail, in extraordinary fashion (ahem… McHale's Navy, Steel, Double Dragon and Masters of the Universe, respectively), but some break through the barrier of novelty and succeed as memorable theatrical experiences (the recent J.J. Abrams reboot of Star Trek deserves mention, along with the Gothic wonderment of The Dark Knight). In the particular world of translating comedy skits, Saturday Night Live takes center stage as the longest running live comedy show with a continually growing treasure trove of material, but they are equally challenged with bringing about quality movies. While many will celebrate the original Wayne's World and The Blues Brothers, we also hope beyond hope to block out train wrecks like It's Pat. The newest effort to come out of the SNL think-tank, after a decade-long hiatus, seems primed to ride the wave of 80's nostalgia, but will it catch hold? Read on… MacGruber is an absurdist parody of the 80's adventure show starring the jack-of-all-trades namesake, MacGuyver. In the original SNL skits, each one only ran thirty seconds while MacGruber would ask for random knick-knacks in order to build a bomb-defusing device and save everyone trapped inside a repeatedly locked room. He never fails to distract himself past the point of detonation, killing everyone. The feature length version finds MacGruber yanked out of seclusion into the armed forces as the only one who can track down his arch-enemy, Dieter Von Cunth, who gains possession of a nuclear warhead and plans to reduce Washington D.C. to tiny piles of radioactive dust.

I'll fully admit the first time I heard they were pushing forward with the idea of a MacGruber feature film, I thought it would be a waste of time, space and celluloid. Yet, months later when that first trailer rolled out I found myself shocked to actually be chuckling and thinking it actually had a shot at being something worth watching. Many people believed it couldn't be done, that an absurdist parody born from a 30-second skit could never last for over 80 minutes, but writers John Solomon, Jorma Taccone and co-writer/star Will Forte succeeded at just that. As numerous film business outlets have reported by now, the opening weekend box numbers were dismal and some are already calling it the 'bomb of the year', a moniker I strongly feel is undeserved, at least not in terms of quality. One of the keys to triumph was pushing each and every joke just a handful of beats past the point of normal, 'safer' comedies. Both of the main SNL alums, Will Forte and Kristen Wiig held on doggedly to drain each moment of the last possible chuckle, which for some audience members actually makes it even funnier. I felt Ryan Phillipe was an odd choice for the straight man because I didn't think he could hold the screen against Forte, but he grew on me during the film and in the end proved that he was indeed willing to 'go there' to get the laughs. As for the villainous Val Kilmer and his portrayal of Von Cunth, he's at his best when his characters are smarter than the rest of the people on screen, and the crowd, and the writers (see Real Genius or Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang). While Kilmer doesn't come near that level of comedic ownership, he does balance out nicely with the rest of the cast and digs into the second-grade humor when it's called for.

While it may play out to be one of the year's biggest box office disasters, MacGruber will ride on and gain a solid life on DVD as a cult comedy, not unlike Hot Rod, starring Andy Samberg, another SNL superstar. No matter what happens, they can always rest easy knowing it's still better than It's Pat.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]