IMDb > MacGruber (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
MacGruber

MacGruber More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not a great comedy, but passable

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
11 September 2010

If you enjoy films with some crude adult humor with some action, than you just might enjoy this film. Although I never really found the jokes hilarious or anything, I got a few chuckles than and there. And if you liked the Saturday Night Live sketch of MacGruber the chances are you will like this full length version of it. The funniest parts of this movie is when MacGruber acts super obnoxious and crazy, and his obnoxious stupidity is actually sort of entertaining to watch in this film. You can tell the guy that plays MacGruber would do anything for a laugh and it really shows in this film, even going as far to do really embarrassing stuff on screen. He is just one of those types of comedians. The story is this, the bad guy has a nuclear missile which he will use on the US for a reason and it's up to MacGruber to stop him and lot of random crap happens along the way while MacGruber comes up with the most useless and random plans in order to infiltrate. This movie isn't about the story, but it's okay because of the direction it goes and it basically works as much of a parody and multiple sketches. Plus it made and written by the same guy that worked on the skits on SNL and the crew in the movie worked well with each other. The acting isn't good, but it's fun and that is what matters and it's still fun. Worth a rent and watching it with your friends when there nothing better to do.

5.7/10

Save Your Money

Author: countryshack from United States
5 October 2010

Please, Save Your Money!

Unless you have a double digit I.Q., are a Progressive Liberal, or a teen that hasn't matured yet, Don't See, Buy, or Rent this movie. Of course, if you fit one of the three descriptions above you may really like this movie. Heck, for that matter, you may Love It! For Example: If you think that a naked man walking around with a piece of celery in his rectum is funny than you will Love this useless simpleton garbage.

I've read comments from others that said: "This is an artistic humorous parody that you will love". I say: "B.S. to that. That comment neatly fits into one of my three categories above." A good example of an artistic humorous parody would be the movie 'Airplane' but it definitely isn't MacGruber.

Now here is really the sad part that I'm sure many, like us, have fallen victim to.

My wife and I had our seats and started watching the movie. Fifteen minutes into the movie we realized that the trailer was hype and that the movie is really crap. Of course we don't want to admit it yet so we sit through another miserable fifteen minutes because we try to believe that the movie will somehow start to.....'Take Off'. And, as we all know,it never does.

Now this is even worse than the sad part. We paid for our tickets! Granted we walked out after a half hour but....... The theater still got their money because we brought a couple of tickets. The Movie still got its cut because we brought a couple of tickets. The most embarrassing thing, for us, is that our contribution helped keep this kind of mindless refuge alive.

MacGruber, you only have 30 seconds! The Audience is leaving the theater!

Author: Scott_Mercer from North Hollyweird
1 June 2010

The director of "MacGruber" is named Jorma Taccone. Like the Tacone (a mall food stand; taco + cone= tacone), the similarly named Mr. Taccone had the problem of taking some indeterminate parts that do not belong together and shoving them into an enclosure, creating what is supposed to be a coherent whole. Like the foodstuff, Mr. Taccone did not succeed in reaching this goal.

While the parts making up "MacGruber" seem to make sense on their own, their juxtaposition ends up creating a context that is too confusing. Is this a parody of an action film, or an actual action film as such? Usually, action films of this ilk (see the Lethal Weapon series, Rush Hour series, etc.) already come with a significant dose of comedy therein, even bordering on self-parody. Many would argue that most of Schwarzenegger's flicks cross that self-parodic line throughout their running times.

What to make of a "comedy" film that goes for minutes at a time with no obvious "gags"? The overheated dialog, macho posturing. Recruiting of the hero out of retirement. The deliciously evil villain who plots to destroy the world. The history of bad blood between protagonist and antagonist. The awkward buddy pairing of MacGruber and Piper, the free-wheeling, rule-breaking, eccentric hero-genius who "gets the job done" but has "unorthodox methods" and the clean-cut, by-the-book rookie who comes into conflict with the hero's wild methodology. Arrgh! These things are all played with the straightest of faces. But in my book, they've gone far beyond the straight-faced parody of the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker school (see "Airplane"), and actually made an honest-to-Pete bad action movie, and not a parody of same.

One can only grade on a curve here. I will compare this film, such as it is, only to others based upon sketches from Saturday Night Live. Is it as good as "The Blues Brothers"? No way. That movie was awesome. How about "Wayne's World"? Nope. That one was much funnier. Umm…"The Coneheads"? No, even that one was better. What about "It's Pat"? Okay. "MacGruber" is better than "It's Pat" was. But only by a hair. "It's Pat" made me want to sell my own liver.

Seeing as the "MacGruber" bit from SNL was a one-joke sketch only lasting 30 seconds, the filmmakers had very little to work with here. Even though it was repeated four or five times per episode, each time the sketch was identical: MacGruber was trapped in a power station control room with a bomb about to go off, its countdown timer ticking away in a trope beloved of screenwriters since Thomas Edison first invented the movie camera. MacGruber is to defuse said bomb with whatever happens to be at hand, in an obvious rip on "Mac Gyver": paper clip, cotton swab, masking tape. But he never does it, because each time he gets distracted, or gets into an argument with his female assistant, or starts talking about something stupid, and the bomb goes off, killing everyone. Yet, MacGruber comes back yet again, apparently not killed, in the next segment, still trapped in the room with his female helper and the bomb, counting down to Armageddon. Never truly dead, but always dying, MacGruber is trapped in a Sisphyean world of never-ending torture. Just like the audience of this movie. Samuel Becket would have a lot to think about here.

Of course, expanding this from a repetitive 30 second TV sketch to a 90 minute feature film required that an actual plot be constructed. Not worth going much into it here, except to note that MacGruber must save the world from a madman who has stolen a nuclear missile and plans to blow up the President of the United States with it, a man named Cunth (har har) who MacGruber just happened to go to college with, and who killed MacGruber's wife on their wedding day because (SPOILER ALERT!) MacGruber stole her away from Cunth to begin with.

In spite of all the problems evident within it, I have given this movie a score of three for providing the following helpful pointers to assist the viewer in getting through life:

1) Of all possible hairstyles that exist, the Shag-Mullet is one of the few that exhibits a timeless sense of style and is appropriate in all situations from laying around the pool to a corporate board meeting to defusing a nuclear missile.

2) If you are an armed evil henchman guarding the bad guys' secret hideout and/or rendezvous/drop spot, do NOT get distracted by a guy with his pants around his ankles and a celery stalk up his butt shuffling along in the middle distance. It is merely a ploy to get the drop on you.

3) If you're going to be using C4 plastic explosive, bite the bullet and buy the real stuff, don't make it yourself at home. And if you do make it yourself at home, don't pack all of it in the van carrying your entire team of operatives.

4) If you're going to get a Blaupunkt car stereo, pay the extra few bills and get the one with the detachable faceplate, which you can jam into the pocket of your orange down vest, so you don't end up carrying around your pull-out stereo like some sort of robotic man-purse.

5) Don't have your wedding on a bluff overlooking the ocean, with a drop off of hundreds of feet to the jagged rocks below, even if this will allow you to duck when your evil nemesis whom you thought had already burned to death when you blew up his secret hideout lunges at you in an attempt to kill both you and your bride-to-be, sending him plummeting hundreds of feet to a certain death on the jagged rocks below. It just isn't sporting. But, since he did fall, you can shoot the guy with a machine gun while he's on his way down.

my god it is amazingly stupid!

Author: mileejones2000 from Malta
26 September 2010

this has maybe been the worst movie i have seen in my short life. i really hope that i don't have another experience like that, this is ridiculous and really hope that this movie will have absolutely no success and it will be nominated for nothing but worst movie of all times.cheers and thanks god it's over. the plot is do ridiculous that not much movies can come to this frontier.i have pushed myself to watch it until the very end and in the end and have been closer to suicide more than anything else. I don't know what Ryan does there, but this has been an enormous downfall in it's career. please don't do that mistake again. Not only reviews will say that but also normal people. it is amazingly terrible. don't do that ever again to the audience! the world deserves better!

complete arce

Author: wolfhorse-788-732942 from United States
12 September 2010

it gets such a low score partly because they sold it as something it isn't. the trailers show an action movie with real world characters but the movie is just a poor Will Ferrell clone of a-team/oo7 movies. It is a ridiculous humor movie. From the trailers, I thought i was going to see an interesting action movie but it is a teenage scream movie. I want my 4 bucks back because of misrepresentation

If yo want to watch bad juvenile humor like airplane (and not up to that bar by a long shot)or b movie spy movie, enjoy

but really this movie is bad, really bad but if you need something on TV while you do something else , this is the one

Action and Comedy don't mess in MacGruber

Author: Floated2
30 August 2010

I went into this film with pretty much no expectations but I thought that I would like it since I found some of the SNL skits to be quite funny. Now, am I not a fan of SNL but I since some of their skits and it was alright. So, I decided to watch MacGruber because I've rad some reviews and I was looking forward to see how it happened. Well, and since I watched it, I hated it. It was completely not funny, it was lame, predictable and the dialogue was just pain stupid. There is a lot of crude and sexual jokes. They get old real fast and they aren't funny. I really didn't laugh at all through the movie, I was just wondering why I watched it. There were many weird and stupid scenes about the movie, such as MacGruber dancing around with celery up his ass, two weird sex scenes (one with MacGruber doing it with his dead wife in a cemetery), all the dick jokes with MacGruber talking to the Cornell and his partner, and the last scene was just a joke. The movie was so dumb it wasn't funny. Though some of the actions scenes were okay. Some were shocking how violent it was but it was alright. They didn't last that long anyway. And there were cameo's by a few WWE wrestler which was pretty cool, but they end up dying real quick and don't do much. And I don't see how easily people are amused these days!

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
9 September 2010

MacGruber

There are three telltale signs you're watching a comedy based on a Saturday Night Live sketch: the title character is wearing a wig, the jokes are abysmal, and there are no Asians in the cast.

Obeying that rule of three is this offering inspired by MacGyver.

When his nemesis Von Cunth (Val Kilmer) hijacks a nuclear warhead, ex-special agent MacGruber (Will Forte) comes out of retirement with a vengeance.

Forming a team consisting of Vicki St. Elmo (Kristen Wiig) and Lt. Piper (Ryan Phillippe), MacGruber sets out to stop Von Cunth from getting the passcodes needed to launch the warhead.

While his minute-long sketches usually find MacGruber defusing a bomb, in his film debut, however, he just stars in one.

Pieced together with a pipe cleaner plot and poop jokes, MacGruber's big mistake is that, unlike SNL, it doesn't use a flashing laugh prompter to tell viewers something is funny. (Red Light)

Not-funny, not-clever, not-worthwhile at all

Author: John Holden from United States
11 November 2010

Will Forte seems be in the same "I'm the comedy" mode as Stiller, Chevy Chase, Ferrell ... other boring comedians. You just somehow believe that people want to watch you walk around or fall down or stare at the camera. That you are so funny people will laugh at anything you do.

It's much like news reporters being the news - telling you how they feel about an event.

This movie is unwatchable. The humor turns on various bathroom & dick jokes. A crude (if this is even possible) "Dumb and Dumber".

Maybe teenage boys like this kind of thing. I don't know who would see humor in someone crapping in the upper toilet tank. And a dozen other stupid gags.

Kristen Wiig was decent. But not enough to make this movie worth seeing.

Forte is about like the 85-IQ jock in the frat house who thinks any prank he does is funny. If you were that guy - or his friend or just enjoyed his antics - maybe you will like this movie. Otherwise don't bother.

Pretty bad

Author: kismit from Canada
22 May 2010

I saw this one based on a very positive Rotten Tomatoes review. I usually shy away from SNL cast movies as most are pretty weak but gave it a shot. I actually like the MacGruber skits on SNL. What you will get is closer to the Ladies Man than Ron Burgundy. The character is taken from the skit, but the movie wanders away from even that weak sauce most of the time. The MacGyver spoof concept had some potential but it is more of a bad Naked Gun with Forte's bathroom humour replacing Neilson's Mr McGoo bumbling. Most of the acting with the exception of Wieg was pretty good, but there was just not much worth laughing at, even if you have a crude sense of humour. The is a marginal renter.

Crass & Disgusting

Author: dgardner-8 from United States
25 May 2010

I went to see this movie after hearing a CNN critic say he "really, really, really liked it" and the sex scenes were "hilarious and inventive." Having seen and enjoyed several of the SNL MacGruber skits, I naturally thought "how could I lose." Well I feel I lost big time. There was a time when SNL skits bordered on impropriety but were almost always clever. Today it seems we must be assaulted with in-your-face impropriety with only hints of cleverness. I am not a prude. But what I saw of the sex scenes in MacGruber was quite simply crass and disgusting. This is not a complete review because I did something I have not done in a long time. Eventually I got fed up and walked out. If this is what now must pass for "hilarious and inventive" we truly have sunk to new depths as a society. Will, Kristen and crew, please, don't waste your considerable talents on this kind of insult to our intelligence!

Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]