IMDb > MacGruber (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
MacGruber

MacGruber More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

I'm somewhat at a loss for words

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
21 May 2010

Movies that are based on Saturday Night Live sketches usually fall flat at the box office. Its hard to stretch one little sketch into a full length film obviously. Magruber is not a film for the sensitive. It is very vulgar and its hero is more annoying then anything else. Will Forte just doesn't chew the scenery, he grinds it into baby food! Val Kilmer pretty much does the same as the bad guy. What made me like this film isn't its star, but Kristen Wiig as Vicki and Ryan Phillippe as Lt. Piper. They both give great comic performances. Wiig has a howlingly funny moment in the coffee shop while shes wearing a wire. Actually the real hero of the film is Piper, if it hadn't been for him Magruber would have been dead several times over. In addition, Powers Boothe gives a great performance as Magruber's frustrated commanding officer. I wanted to mention that I learned something watching this film, I didn't know what a double decker was, now I do.

Changed my mood! (insert smiley face)

Author: mikabreto from Atlanta, Georgia
4 June 2010

I went into the theater in a sh*tty mood: I had to pay for tickets, drinks and snacks, plus my hemorrhoid was flaring, so I was not in a mood to sit. It all changed for me after the first 2 minutes of the movie. I daresay it cured my medical condition right up, since I was clenching my buttocks so hard in laughter. This movie's mission is to make you laugh and laugh and I swear this one lady p*ssed her pants. Just to give an idea of how crass the humor is, think of the dirtiest humor you've ever seen and double it. The back-to-back over-the-top sex scenes are hilariously well-timed, and the little touches like the Blaupunkt motif and the hilariously outdated eighties music are also great reasons to recommend this movie to Mature audiences.

Beyond Bad and almost completely Unfunny

Author: peabody from United States
21 May 2010

This could very well be the DUMBEST movie I've ever sat through start to finish. Going in, I expected dumb. What I didn't expect was for the movie to be lifeless and almost completely unfunny. A couple of chuckles (driving around to bad 80's music or one subtitle for the word loco) can not make up for a truly awful film. This thing was all over the place trying to be part "Get Smart" part MacGyver parody but all it ended up being was a borderline offensive mess. Celery up the butt you can tolerate, some people may find it funny but horribly awkward and unfunny sex scenes (both real and with a ghost) and naked elderly people cross the comfort line and don't do so in any way that's funny whatsoever. I should have known better to go to the cinema hoping something funny was spawned by this era's SNL members.

The silliest action film I have ever seen xD

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
26 April 2015

This is the stupidest and a rowdy film that SNL has ever done involving Forte's character. His character just seemed to be like one of the guys who talks complete rubbish and doesn't care about anything he says. I laughed when he just showed himself off at the nightclub and became violent that he broke a windows leaving the party people gob smacked xD Although I didn't consider the sex that great like I know it's his character sense of being a foul mouth dirt bag but it just looked rotten when he did it to the two women he loved.

I was a bit disappointed at Val Kilmer's character, he didn't have that villain 'look' or 'voice' in him. He just looked normal to me, they shouldve picked a better villain that looks and acts scary in order to destroy Macgruber.

Kirsten Wigg was awesome at playing Vicki like seriously she can act in anything from a girly girl to a serious woman with swag :D

If you like James Bond, then you'll love the action in this!

Extreme.

Author: from United States
11 September 2010

Either you're hanging your head in shameful embarrassment or you're laughing your ass off. MacGruber is pretty extreme. It is a ridiculously over-the-top, stupid and vulgar comedy, but it's FUNNY AS HELL.

HARD R rating.

Not only are they spoofing MacGyver, but they're poking funny at 80's film style in general. Everything about this movie was funny. They did an excellent job mocking just about every single aspect of the genre. Pay attention to the details.

Honestly, I don't understand all the negative feedback. Just don't let your momma watch it.

Funniest Movie I've Seen For A Long Time.

Author: djsneakypeaky from United Kingdom
30 August 2010

I saw a trailer for this film which looked pretty good so I decided to watch it.

The trailer doesn't do it justice. Absolutely Hilarious is the best way to describe this movie. I had seen the previous sketches and the film is so much better.

Don't get me wrong many will probably be offended by the coarse language used (hence the bad reviews) and the antics MacGruber gets up to. But if you are not easily offended I'm sure you will enjoy this movie as much as I did.

A Cheesy, Offensive, Action Comedy that I couldn't stop laughing at. Definitely one to watch again and again.

Incredibly Funny!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
25 May 2010

I saw this a few hours ago with a friend, and I thought it was very funny! Will Forte and Kristen Wiig were the perfect comedic team. It it filled to the brim with comedy, and action. This is now one of my favorite movies of the year. The jokes were very dirty, very silly, and very dumb, but I loved every minute of it. A man named Dieter Von Cunth is in possession of a X-5 missile, which contains a nuclear warhead. Colonel Faith needs the help of MacGruber to stop him. MacGruber teams up with his long time friend named Vicki St. Elmo, and a rookie named Lt. Dixon Piper. Piper respects him, but doesn't always agree with his silly unorthodox techniques. Will MacGruber be able to save Washington D.C. and stop the bad guy? I highly recommend MACGRUBER!!!

Ripping throats

Author: tphart88 from United States
23 May 2010

I saw this going in with low expectations. Maybe it was because I had such low expectations, or maybe it was because. Was with my best friend who has the same sens if humor as I, but in the end I thought Macgruber was hilarious.

This much dirtier than the past SNL movies, movie, takes the Macgyver spoof clips and creates a feature length film. The common ideas between the sketches and the movie are that Macgruber is a loser trapped in the 80s who is successful about 10% of the time . I kept thinking that I had no idea how they could make an entire movie of a guy getting blown up again and again. I guess I just had no idea that an actual plot could be created. And for most of the movie Macgruber is a loser, but once he starts ripping throats, s*** gets real.

With the recognizable homage to the SNL sketches near the end many laugh out loud moments such as; the old celery trick, humping a gave stone, and multiple intense orgasms, Macgruber did it's job. The creativity and surprisingly enjoyable performances make one forget the few slightly awkward less funny scenes and walk away smiling.

Absolutely Hilarious

Author: John from United States
28 August 2010

I can't believe some of the reviews for this movie, they missed the jokes and the point completely. This movie is so ridiculous, so over the top, of course you're not supposed to take it seriously. It's goddamn hilarious stuff though, best comedy I've seen in a while. I watched it with three other friends and we were dying, laughing to tears constantly. I think that if you're old, or not into uncomfortable humor then you won't like this movie. If you're in your 20's or 30's then this movie is for you. Do you like the lonely island stuff, snl's digital shorts, the new skits they're doing that are really geared towards younger people? If you do then watch this movie, you'll love it. This should definitely have over a 7 rating here.

If it didn't insist on sending everything up this might have been a great film

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
13 June 2010

Expanded version of an SNL skit that was a take off on TV semi-classic MacGuyver shifts from pillar to post as the film tries to do more than be an expanded sketch and remain true to its spoof origins.

The plot of the film has a MacGruber being called out of retirement in a monastery(ala Rambo) in order to take on a super villain with super weapons.

For me, who was never a fan of the sketch this comes from to begin with, its both more and less of the same. The acting is very arch and knowing and over the top and while that may work in an occasional late night sketch it gets really wearing real fast. The jokes are there but too many miss or are painfully obvious. Some of the film shows signs that they wanted to do more (Val Kilmer's bad guy) but mostly the film never seems to know what it wants to be and while I did enjoy some of it I can't believe I paid Manhattan movie prices to see this. I should have waited for cable. I suggest you do too since it will pay better than at 12 bucks a head.

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]