IMDb > Get a Job (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Get a Job

Get a Job More at IMDbPro »

Should have never been released.

Author: Andrew Gold from United States
1 April 2016

Let me start by saying that everything in Get a Job is atrocious except one thing: the acting. If these stars weren't attached to the movie nobody would bat an eye at this thing. It's so awful. I audibly "ugh"-ed when it finished. The message this movie tries to convey is that it's hard to find a job, so you have to stop smoking pot and be determined and never give up and do whatever it takes to get a job. Or don't get a job and be an entrepreneur. The movie throws that one in at the end. A stupid message in the first place because, hey, not everyone has the same circumstances. This type of movie can only resonate with a niche crowd, but worse than that the writing is just dreadful. Cringe-City is what this movie should've been called. I felt bad for Miles Teller having to deliver these cliché lines like, "Never stop believing." Sorry Get a Job but I learned that lesson from Journey a long time ago. Bryan Cranston and Alison Brie try to have fun in their roles, and they really brighten up the mood, but it isn't nearly enough. Anna Kendrick is forced into this shell of a character who gets fired and can't get back on her feet so she succumbs to the evils of weed and laziness. When Anna Kendrick can't be adorable for every second she's on screen, then you know you have a problem.

The problem is literally everything else. The writing, the directing, the editing, the f*cking music, it all SUCKS. It's painful. It's one of those movies where you know if the actors weren't already attached to the project, it would've never been made. But the money was there so they hired great actors and they forgot about the rest of the crew so they got people on the street to do direct and their pet cat to write and who needs an editor anyway? The cat can do it! It's like an amateur film at points. I'll be honest, I chuckled a couple of times. And by a couple of times I mean it. I chuckled twice. Maybe smiled a few more times, but for a majority of Get a Job I was either cringing or frustrated at the fact that it was even greenlit and released. This movie... just...

Starts like a good one, in the middle loses its way and at the end just by a thread tied together

Author: ishraq priom
24 March 2016

I am writing this review with sheer frustration and nothing else. When i started watching the movie i thought it would be like "The spectacular now" or "That awkward moment" type movies or lesser quality even, it is and it isn't also. Confused? The movie is not that bad in my opinion its just missing something in every direction. The movie was very short and fast paced that it couldn't show much of character developments, romantic aspect or even the job market in any way or comically. It tried but i think it failed drastically. Not because of the performances of the actors and actresses it's just that the movie seemed like it was cut short just to release it or they didn't even shoot the whole thing and BAM!!. That may actually be the case because the movie was shot in 2012 but got released in 2016. I gave an inflating 6 stars because i like Miles Teller, Anna Kendrick, Alison Brie, Bryan Cranston and most of the cast. They all gave good performance but the movie as i said before for some reason just didn't gel together but if you like the cast as much as i do give it a go and watch it. If you don't like it stop. You may not like it, may even hate it but you will get to see your favorite stars performance, but seriously don't go to the movies for it/buy/rent DVD if available download from internet and thank whatever you believe in for inventing it.

Flawed but watchable

Author: Adam_West_as_Batdan from Edinbruhhh
21 April 2016

Despite of a cast with some really big names such as Anna Kendrick, Bryan Cranston, Christopher Mintz Plasse, Marcia Gay Harden, Jorge Garcia, John C McGuinly, Brandon T Jackson, Ravi Patel this was filmed in 2012 but it was not released until 2016.

Once you've seen it it's not terribly hard to see why, it tries to squeeze in a little too much than it can handle in a very short running time (74 minutes without credits) to the point that it get a little confusing at times.

Which it's definitely not meant to be as this is meant to be a easy going comedy influenced by 80's coming of age comedies but set in present day.

But it's far from all bad though, there are some seriously funny stand-alone gags and Miles Teller is a pretty good lead and I could have swore he was John Cusack's son (he sure looks like it).

In the end I kind of enjoyed it but I felt like it should have been a lot more fleshed out, not sure if perhaps it was longer at some point and the studio mercilessly cut it down because they felt like it didn't have enough substance to be a 100 minute movie or whatever.

Which caused it to often lack coherence and flow, whatever it may be despite it's flaws I definitely didn't dislike it, it helps if you like the cast, just don't expect a big movie experience.

I'm Being Kind to Say It's Abysmal

Author: Larry Silverstein from United States
21 June 2016

How the likes of Miles Teller, Anna Kendrick, Bryan Cranston, Marcia Gay Harden, Alison Brie, John C. McGinley, and Brandon T. Jackson, all most talented actors, can be in such a stinkeroo is a mystery to me. I'm no prude, but when a film is incredibly vulgar and mean-spirited and the intended humor falls flat as a pancake it just becomes torturous to watch. The customary 180 at the end of the film was way too little and way too late.

I saw some reviewers state that this movie was "in the can" for 4 years before being released. Why inflict us now? I guess this is a puzzle only the filmmakers can know the answer to.

The jokes fall flat, just like its characters

Author: Mariana Pereira from Canada
6 April 2016

Miles Teller is once again playing the same character he always plays; I'm starting to question whether his role in Whiplash was a one time thing. He was fine in this role, I think he's mastered this character, but his character in this film was uninteresting. The cast (Bryan Cranston, Ana Kendrick, Alison Brie, etc.) is surprisingly very talented, but it seems that they were wasted in this movie because their characters are indistinguishable from one another. The movie is about people losing their jobs and eventually getting a job, and yet does not succeed in demonstrating why they deserve their job or would realistically even get that job. For example, Miles Teller's character gets his dream job by making a "viral video" (I doubt the movie knows what viral means, because he only get 100 000 views on only one video) and gets a straight pass to job offers and a start at his own company. I don't think that that's how life works, but apparently this movie thinks so. Other than the plot, it's supposed to be a comedy, and it's not actually funny - I mean it's not unfunny but when there is jokes, they kind of fall flat (like its characters).

"Get a Job" is a flawed, but charming and significant movie.

Author: Dave McClain ( from United States
27 March 2016

Get a job! It's a simple sentence, but it gives rise to many difficult questions. (What kind of job do I want? Where do I look to find the right one? How do I get them to hire me?) And then, when you get a job, there's another set of challenges. (How do I do this job? What indignities am I willing to suffer to keep this job? When do I move on and try to get a better job?) Sometimes, the job you get doesn't work out and you have to start asking those same questions all over again. An all-star cast of well-known movie and TV actors deals with these issues – and others, in the well-titled comedy "Get a Job" (R, 1:23).

Will (Miles Teller), Ethan (Christopher Mintz-Plasse), Charlie (Nicholas Braun) and Luke (Brandon T. Jackson) are pot-smoking, video game playing L.A. housemates who have recently graduated from college. The four of them, as well as Will's girlfriend, Jillian (Anna Kendrick) are at various stages of trying to figure out how best to make money in the world of grown-ups. Charlie is about to start a job as a junior high school science teacher (for which he seems quite unqualified) and basketball coach (ditto). Luke's dream is to work as a stock broker, but his entry-level position working in the firm managed by Mr. Diller (John C. McGinley) has Luke taking orders for just about everything but stocks. Ethan believes he's going to make his way in the world by developing and selling a smart-phone app called "IstalkU".

But the main focus of the movie is on Teller's character. As the movie opens, Will believes he has turned two summers of unpaid interning at the L.A. Weekly into a full-time job as their new tech writer… until one of the editors (John Cho) tells him differently. Will gets a job as a night-shift desk clerk in a cheap hotel run by an unscrupulous hotel manager (Marc Maron), but that job only lasts until local pimp "Skeezy D" (Jay Pharoah) messes things up for Will. Surprisingly, however, Will's association with Skeezy D indirectly helps him secure a great job as a videographer for a firm which producers video resumes and secures interviews for people seeking upper-level management positions. Will convinces Lawrence Willheimer (Bruce Davison) to hire him, but he soon finds out that taking orders from harsh and demanding CEO Katherine Dunn (Marcia Gay Harden) and dealing with sexual advances from a co-worker (Alison Brie) makes the job a little less desirable than he first thought it would be. A mysteriously omnipresent janitor (Jorge Garcia) ends up helping Will out, but while Will is trying to navigate the choppy waters of interoffice politics, he also has to deal with the fallout from both his girlfriend and his father (Bryan Cranston) losing their respective jobs – and the misadventures of his friends on their jobs.

This is a rather unusual movie in a few different ways. It's a comedy, but delivers an important message to its target audience. Although the challenge of getting and keeping a good job is seen through the eyes of several people at different stages of their working lives, the focus is on the generation known as the Millenials. Characters within this generation that is often derided for a sense of entitlement and lack of motivation are shown learning necessary lessons that will equip them for success in the future, while remaining true to themselves and pursuing their dreams. The film's ability to simultaneously validate, teach and encourage Millenials is unusual, but so is the amount of time this film took to get to theaters.

"Get a Job" was filmed in early 2012. Anna Kendrick said in a 2014 interview that the film had encountered "distribution problems". Whatever the specific reasons for the delay, it's interesting to note that in the four years between this movie being shot and made available to the public, these are just some of the projects that a few of the main cast filmed AND saw released: "Fantastic Four", "Whiplash", "The Spectacular Now" and three "Divergent" films (Teller); "Cake", "Into the Woods" and "Pitch Perfect 2" (Kendrick); "How to Be Single", "Get Hard", "Sleeping with Other People" and "The Lego Movie" (Brie); "Neighbors", "Kick-Ass 2" and "This is the End" (Mintz-Plasse); "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", "How to Be Single", "The Stanford Prison Experiment", and "Poltergeist" (Braun); "Fifty Shades of Grey", "Grandma" and "Parkland" (Harden); plus "Kung Fu Panda 3", "Trumbo", "Godzilla" and the end of "Breaking Bad" (Cranston). Just sayin'.

Whether the delay in the film's release, or the low scores it has received on various websites, raise too many red flags to ignore is, of course, up to the individual Movie Fan, but this Movie Fan is giving "Get a Job" a moderate recommendation. The cast is easy of the eyes and fun to watch. The story is a bit disjointed and is a little short on laughs, but it's often charming and approaches real issues with truth and compassion. The movie tells its tale in a meaningful and pretty entertaining way. "B"

Great actors in a real insipid turd of a film

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
3 April 2016

A university graduate has to find a job to pay the rent and get his girlfriend of his back.

The premise is simple enough and all the characters are set up to make this an entertaining movie. The film boasts an excellent line up. All lights are green.

I cannot give this movie a full review as I could not bare to sit through the whole thing. It is just not funny. I cannot even tell you why? But it is like watching a stand-up comedian die on stage, for over an hour.

All the ingredients for a comedy are here, they just don't work. The scenes with the stoners are boring and flat, their hapless attempts at getting a career are just stupid - yet not funny. The stripper scene, even with perky boobs on display, is tedious and dull.

Alison Bree's character is bland and caustic, and only there so we can hear awkward, sexual references come from the mouth of a pretty woman - what a waste.

I have never seen a film with so much talent be so painfully bland. As we watched - in stony silence - I actually started to feel embarrassed for the actors and just had to switch off. I have not had to do this for some time.

Author: albertchandler from United Kingdom
28 March 2016

This film sounds great when you hear it has Miles Teller, Anna Kendrick, Alison Brie, Chris Mintz-Plasse to just name a few... oh yeah and Brian Cranston. How can you make a movie so bad with such great actors? The story was All over the place, the script was poorly written and they put random things in out of the blue that made no sense. Don't smash a load of trophies and say "call me coach" when you literally had no build up to it before. A waste of 82 minutes and 45 seconds

Its a shame to see such great names wasted with what could be a great film, a bit longer and a revised script could have made this 1 star film into a cult classic

Get a job, get along in a job, drugs, video game addiction, young generation.

Author: Reno Rangan from Somewhere in the Cosmos
4 July 2016

This film delayed its release for a couple of years due to the distribution issues. That's not it, the film is no good, the writing was terrible, but a bunch of good actors in it. It is about the recent college graduates who struggles to get a job, even if they do, finds hard to fit in. A very good theme, but they failed to draw a decent storyline for it. I think they knew the film won't get a good response, so they used 'distribution issue' card to hold it back, but now it's out and the result was as expected.

It should have been called a drama than the comedy, because right now it lacks from those two categories. It digs on the topics like workplace bullying, harassment, as well as the youngsters' addiction to drugs and video games. In one of the scenes it emotionally appeals when the father tries to pay the bill in a restaurant. They had the right content, but lost in the translation to the screen. There's no proper flow in the story, they had tried too much, at a time it all remained very plain.

This is the second film to release in this year for Anna Kendrick and both of them did no good for her, especially this film fell short from a long distance. Same goes for Miles Teller and Bryan Cranston. I hope they all forget it and come strong in their next projects. A few people might like it, but not me. I like quality contents where this film is not one. Thankfully it was short, but only thing is it was not sweet.

forgettable feel good mishmash

Author: mark-mustermann from Simbabwe
24 March 2016

-meh, comes to mind. if you have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon i guess this could do.-

i hope nobody got paid for writing this, cause most of the time the writing is just that bad, right out of some college film class study- group. Take the blatant disconnect of our time, add the typical white loser comeback kid, add some quirky friends and smooth it over until any and all discernible characteristics have vanished. This movie, in way or another, has been made by the dozens and i think you could actually reassemble it out of Miles Tanner and Anna Kendrick movies alone.

The worst part is the constant breaking of "show-don't tell", which any movie should at least respect in so far as not to fill every possible moment of silence with some generic, out-of-can - introduction/motivation/rebellion/love/its OK/be special summery- speech. Out of which Anna Kendricks -its OK- and Miles Tanners (both OK performances btw) -be special- voice-overs are probably the worst part of the movie.

This movie got saved by its actors, and just barely. A few OK observations of our generation don't lift it above average. I guess objectively it could be a 5/10 but it was not for me.