IMDb > "Lost" Ab Aeterno (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost: Ab Aeterno (#6.9)"

"Lost" Ab Aeterno (2010)

« Prev | 109 of 118 Episodes | Next »

The best episode of Lost ever?

Author: Tim Bayliss from United Kingdom
24 March 2010

The best episode of Lost... ever?

Even if others disagree with that statement - it is absolutely the most revealing episode in a long time, maybe ever.

For those of you who have stuck with this show since Season 1, you'll be pleased to know you finally get a full episode dedicated to Richard.

Obviously I have to be spoiler free, so there's not much more I can say.

I will finish by saying this is probably my favorite episode of Lost of all time - and i'm glad I didn't get bored and stop watching like many others.

The information delivery is staggering - and secrets are actually revealed for once - something that is very rare for Lost - which usually stretches things out for as long as possible in the most frustrating and pointless manner possible.

Incredible acting, best episode for a long time, maybe ever.

10/10 - MUST WATCH.

Lost saves the best for last...

Author: dromichaetes86 from Romania
25 March 2010

This has everything you (the LOST fan) wanted all packed in 45 minutes:

- a definitive explanation of the island's purpose, - the answer to "who is good and who is evil between Jacob and the man in black?", - the answer to "is Hurley insane or does he really see dead people?"

and FINALLY...

- Richard's story in a full episode dedicated to him, arguably one of the most interesting episodic characters.

I won't be surprised if this will be remembered as one of the best or maybe even THE best episode in the series. (it will certainly be in my book)

Best Episode of the Final Season So Far (SPOILERS)

Author: McGeckoWilson from Mephisto's Realm
23 March 2010

We finally learn the secrets behind Lost's most mysterious character, Richard Alpert. Nestor Carbonell is fantastic, speaking mostly Spanish throughout the entire episode. We finally see his personal back-story, involving his wife Isabella and his enslavement, and also two very important questions are answered: How does Richard never age and what is his connection to Jacob? Even more interesting is how we see more into the rivalry between Jacob and The Man in Black. Also, we finally learn what brought The Black Rock to the Island (if you haven't figured it out yet) and what destroyed the Egyptian Statue. It reaches a bit of a slow point about halfway through when Richard is chained inside of the ship, alone, for about fifteen minutes of the episode's run-time but otherwise this is the moment that Lost fans have been waiting for. Especially in a fairly lackluster season, this is Lost at its finest.

It was intense, intriguing and highly satisfying

Author: jonhamms from Canada
28 March 2010

This is the first Episode review I'm doing because I really think that This was the best LOST episode so far!! We were questioning ourselves About pretty much everything but THIS! No one saw it coming! That episode revealed a lot of thing for 50 min's , and those min's each one of them were really entertaining , gripping and really , really satisfying! From the beginning I knew something was not okay with that man ''Not Getting Old'' trough time and believe me this episode reveal everything on him on his past and on the importance of his role in the Island! I loved the way the writer's putted the ''Spanish'' connection to it! And they said that the fact was HELL!! It just excited the audience more and more… So there is only few episodes' left until THE very END! And believe me I am really eager to see what is going to happen next!

The best episode

Author: luli_58242 from Argentina
25 March 2010

Richard Alpert has been my favorite character since I found out that he doesn't age. I've been waiting for this episode for years, and I have to say it didn't disappoint me in any aspect. The narrative was perfect. The story was perfect. The shoots, the cameras, the script, the performances, the clothes... Everything was perfect. Nestor Carbonell showed how good he is as an actor. And the bottle metaphor... Just amazing. This episode showed the essence of Lost. The most important answers that the series was carrying "What's this place?", "Who's Jacob?", "Why the Smoke monster kills people?", the most important questions have been answered. I wish I could vote this episode a 20 out of 10.

A masterpiece of storytelling lore

Author: Robert Klaric from Croatia
24 March 2010

So finally here it is ladies and gentleman... the enigma of Richard Alpert resolved in all the jaw-dropping-suspenseful glory. From me this is the best episode of Lost final season so far, and the writers really went head on to reveal much of the connecting story in the Lost universe.

Richard's fate is really heartbreaking, and his tragic love story will make you connect to his character like never before. We finally get the background, how he came to the island, how he met Jacob and our nemesis currently in Locke form. We also find out little details of shipwreck, how the colossal statue was broken and, of course - why Richard stays forever young.

This episode adds so much background lore to the world of Lost, you almost crave for more answers like how Jacob got to the island or was he always there and what's the true story behind "Man in Black" and how did he become evil incarnate. Perhaps all questions won't be answered but for now - we can enjoy this fantastic mystery slowly resolve... Lets hope they deliver more episodes like this!

Finally!

Author: Erdem Hebele from Turkey
24 March 2010

When I started to watch Lost and got into it, the first thing that I wonder was about the others. I always wondered that where they came from, why they believe in a guy which has never seen. Now like all of fans of Lost, I understood that. The island is there to give a second chance who suffered through their lives. I watched this episode twice and in the second time, I clearly understood the key sentence of this episode is "Their past doesn't matter." Jacob didn't care about their past and gave them a second chance to show the separation or conflict between good and bad. This is beyond great because it is not as genuine or unique as we expected. Actually I expected something mythological, something supernatural but it is just a simple demonstration of basic conflict of human souls.

But some questions still remain. We still don't know Jacob's and black smoke's past, we still don't know about Jacob's extraordinary "skills". I had doubts about the future of the show, I doubted that writers could not be able to answer our questions. But after this episodes, there is no doubt, sixth season is an answer to our questions and this quest, this puzzle will be completed and we can be sure of that Lost is one of the greatest TV shows of all times.

Amazing!!!!!!!

Author: mh6811 from United States
24 March 2010

This weeks episode was indeed a masterpiece! I consider this episode along with the seasons premiere the two best episodes this season. When all is said and done I consider Lost as a whole a great series. Yes they have stretched things out for far too long. But it's episodes like this that make me long for the 20 plus episodes we use to be given. The show after the writers strike had great moments but tended to lag on. Enter Richards episode, a massive and wonderful recovery as well as very well acted. I hope the show now steamrolls its way towards finishing the series strong! Episodes like this make me sad the show is coming to an end.

Richard's enlightening story, intense Carbonell performance, immersive production, wicked dialogs and major Island puzzle piece

Author: igoatabase from France
24 March 2010

Who's the mysterious Richard Alpert ? As enigmatic as Desmond and Jacob his rare appearances have always been intense and unexpected. Played by Nestor Carbonell the actor managed to make the character even more puzzling as it often appears he has no idea what's going on nor what he should do next. It was even more obvious in Recon considering how desperate he was but Jack gave him hope, or not. So it was logical after all these seasons to finally dedicate him a strong and faithful episode.

It took me a while to get into it because they decided to twist the usual alternative stories. But changes are welcome when they're done so brilliantly. First Carbonell did an excellent job and learning more about Richard's past was quite interesting. It reminded me of educational novels like Le Rouge et le Noir by Stendhal and all these sentimental films where men and women have to save their love. Second the production was top notch, from the visual effects to the apocalyptic weather. At times the ambiance reminded me of Sundown and I even suddenly started at one point. Indeed the events were so unpredictable and the dialogs so strange that I wasn't sure until the very end where Richard really was.

Location, location. Yes because it was also a lot about the Island. What is it ? We got some answers to that question too as we already did with the "Where" one in season 5. My only complain would be that it didn't last long enough. It was more about the past than the present and future. But at least from now on we sort of know what's going on and I'm very intrigued about the Candidates next move. That's why I strongly don't recommend watching it to viewers obsessed with spoiler-free stuff ! In fact I'm not even sure I've seen it because it felt like designing a maze for a forbidden garden. Maybe my thoughts were just trapped between heaven and hell.

outstanding.

Author: mikerowerush from United Kingdom
27 March 2010

one of the standout episodes of the ENTIRE series..a truly stunning look back on the life of richard and his origins.i can not praise it enough.nestor carbonell's acting raised this above just a simple story and formed it into what i believe,will be a pivotal point in the entire lost story..remember when "locke" met richard on the beach and said "good to see you out of those chains" ?...precisely what the man in black said to richard when finding him in the bowels of the black rock....i can not remember that last time i watched ANY TV show and it gripped me as much as this episode did.the story was excellent and i really think it is going to be viewed as one of THE best episodes that have ever been transmitted.