IMDb > "Lost" The End (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

'The End' I Needed

Author: andrew25 from United States
24 May 2010

LOST, as a series, ends right where it begins: on an island, in a bamboo field, with a close-up of the right eye of Jack Shephard. The journey between these two events, however, has taken us all on a grand, unforgettable ride. Jack and the other "survivors" are not the same people they were back on September 22, 2004. The flawed, lonely, broken individuals we were introduced to long ago finally found redemption in the form of the love, friendship, and togetherness they experienced as a result of being drawn to the magical island. While it may not have answered every question, "The End" explained that this six season narrative was really all about the characters, and brought a sense of closure and peace that I never thought I would find when LOST concluded. I long dreaded reaching the inevitable destination because I never believed there could be a satisfying end for these people and this show fans have come to care for so much. However, it seems I should have had more faith in the creators because the finale far exceeded any expectations I had and left me with a sense of peace and hope that I never thought I could get from a fictional story.

Throughout the years, the Island came to represent a lot of things, both to the characters of LOST and to the fans of the show. It was a home, an escape, a prison, a burial ground, a heaven, a hell, but, above all, it was the destination for all of those seeking fulfillment and more out of life, and last night's finale showed us that, in the end, it worked and it was all very real. To try to sum up LOST as a whole would be a heroic task, and I will not waste precious words trying to do so. However, now that I have the entire story in front of me, I can begin to piece together what exactly happened, and it will take many years of repeat viewing to take in everything.

As for last night, the big revelation was that the "flash-sideways" stories we have seen over the last season were really scenes from an idealized version of a living death that the island castaways created themselves after they had all died. A little hard to comprehend, I know, but I thoroughly enjoyed this twist and would expect nothing less from the creators. During season six, I, like many others, believed that the sideways world was a sort of "what if" alternate reality that was showing us what would have happened if the hatch never had to be built, Desmond had never failed to push the button, and Oceanic 815 never crashed on the island. Instead, it was a life after death existing in its own space and time and only able to occur after all the characters had died. So yes, Oceanic 815 really crashed on the island with all the survivors alive and well, and everything that eventually happened, really happened, including all of the time travel and mythical occurrences. It is fiction after all.

In the end, Jack "saved" the island from the Man in Black but died in the process, joining the several other characters we have seen die on the island. Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Richard, Miles, and Lapidus successfully fly away on the Ajira jet, presumably to live long, healthy lives off of the island. Hurley and Ben stay behind as the island's new protectors, although with a different set of rules than Jacob had, allowing Desmond to leave to reunite with Penny and baby Charlie. Back in the sideways limbo world, we can assume by now that it is years later and everyone has, by that time, died, but does not realize it yet. To awake from this purgatorial stasis, each character experiences an enlightening "moment of clarity" brought on by some key event that caused all of the memories, emotions, and feelings to come rushing back and signified the person was ready to "move on." A lot of time last night was spent on these "awakenings," and with each one, I experienced my own sense of remembrance as I was flooded with images from the past six years. It concludes in a church, with all of our happily dead "survivors" reuniting with one another and finally finding their peace. They are all ready to move on, which is symbolized by Christian Shephard opening the door of the church and letting light permeate the room. And with that, the sideways world ends.

But to where are they moving on? And what happens to Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and everyone else who survives the island? And why were some characters absent from the church? These are just some of the many questions that were left open for interpretation, and, honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. It has always bothered me that some people did not enjoy LOST because there were too many questions without enough answers. In fact, that was one of the many things I always enjoyed about the series. It was, and always will be, a cerebral show. If you try to view it with a list in hand of all the questions for which you demand answers, you are missing out on quite an experience. The island was just a device to tell a story. The crux of it all and what always tied everything together was the characters, and "The End" did give a tremendous resolution to the story of the characters I believe. Everything they did mattered. Without the events of the story, they would have never found the peace and meaning in their lives. In the end, they died together, instead of living alone. And I couldn't ask for anything else.

Lost will Forever be Unforgettable

Author: ajaymittal from United Kingdom
24 May 2010

In answering questions, in being action-packed, in being both romantic and reminiscent; "The End" truly succeeds in satisfying all the needs of us increasingly- demanding fans. It could be said that this episode was actually made for the people.

Almost every key character plays a part in what can only be described as an emotionally draining finale – one that is orchestrated to near perfection, with the exception of a couple of (quite understandably) rushed scenes. Any speck of below-par direction is well and fully compensated by outstanding close-up acting, as we are able to appreciate the stars of Lost on the very top of their game.

This brilliant extended episode confirmed that Lost was not only a show based on the characters but also one that was defined by the intimate bonds between these characters; whether it was the romantic bond between James and Juliette or the rivalrous one between John and Jack. With these two specific relationships, we witness romance and rivalry blossom into love and respect. Indeed it was love that dominated as the overriding theme of this episode and ultimately proving to be the essence of the story as a whole.

The story itself doesn't disappoint either as we are given answers to the most pressing of questions whilst we are kept wondering over the bigger picture. John Locke (the English philosopher) once said, "It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean." In one sense, Lost gave us the length of the line, but not the depths of the ocean.

Of course without Lost's mystique and inscrutability, we (as fans) will lose our lifelong license to theorise, speculate and debate! This said, Lost attempts to place the audience in the position of a few of the characters – who, like us, are full of questions and perilously frustrated with the Island. These characters may remain in the dark but are at last content with where/when they are.

Most fans will be in mourning as we begin referring to Lost in the past tense but if there is anything we can learn from the greatest TV show ever to be created, it's that to let go is never to forget. Lost will forever be unforgettable.

The End - 10/10.

The Only People LOST Were the Writers!

Author: Venge from Vancouver
25 May 2010

For the past several seasons I suspected that the creators of "Lost" were writing themselves into a corner. The series finale proved it. They were unable to supply any logical or informative answers to the many very diverse questions their writing generated during the series. So what they decided to do instead, was fill the final episode with mushy, heart-rending flashbacks that stirred our emotions, but explained nothing. The writers did not supply any answers, simply because they had no answers to supply.

Who were the Dharma Initiative? Who were the Others? What was an atomic bomb doing on the island? Why did the bright light cause a strong magnetic field? How did Jacob get off the island to "touch" each of the cast members? Who was the crazy militant group that worked for Jacob? Why did Jacob's brother turn into a smoke monster when he went in the tunnel? Why didn't Desmond and Jack turn into smoke monsters when they went in the tunnel? Why did an incantation have to be made before Jacob and Jack drank the water, but not before Hurley did? What is the significance of the huge statue at the water's edge? How do you figure the significance of "the button" into that ending? What was the means by which the various island members were able to create their "alternate dimension" to find themselves in? Was this created before or after Charlie's death? Not that we really care, but what happened to Michael? Was he kicked out of the alternate dimension? That would have had to suck!! And on and on and on and on and on .....

The answer from the writers to all those questions is .......... "Duhhhhhhhhhh!!! We don't' have a clue!! Let is go!!" Appears Sawyer wasn't the only con-man in the show.

I didn't expect anything less...

Author: Alejo Andrés from Argentina
26 May 2010

I know that some fans are upset or disappointed for the way the series ended.

In the other hand, I know that some fans are highly satisfied with the way the series ended.

Personally, I'm not going to deny that I had my personal version of how Lost should've ended (who didn't?); and I also have a lot of unresolved questions I have to learn to live with.

But, even when I'm a big fan of Lost since the pilot to this very last episode, I'd decided to watch the finale with no expectations about what it should or shouldn't be like.

Lost have turned me upside down more that once (actually, almost always). Every time I thought I had it figure it out, the story managed to show me the Island and the characters from a new angle, a different perspective. More than once (actually so many times) I felt that thrill, those goosebumps for a new beginning.

I applaud Lost for that. It was never predictable, and that's a very good thing that I wasn't experiencing in a show since Twin Peaks ended 19 years ago (wow, it's been a long time).

What I did expect for the last episode of this wonderful series was to surprise me, to turn me upside down once again, to show me the Island and the characters from a new fresh perspective. I knew it couldn't give me all the answers I wanted in 2 1/2 hours... and I didn't want that. I still enjoy using my imagination and filling up the blanks with my own theories.

And this episode just did it again. It gave us a twist that many people (including me) were not expecting, and obviously generated love and hate in equal measures. It's everything I expected.

I just hope not having to wait for almost two decades for another show of this sort to show up again and shake our very core.

Emotionally moving, intellectually vacant

Author: Steve Easton from United Kingdom
25 May 2010

And so one of the finest Fantasy TV shows we've ever seen concludes. Why do I say Fantasy? Because as the seasons have unfolded the writers have resorted more and more to the fantastical to explain that which can't logically be explained.

Spoilers follow: So the good aspect of The End was there were some excellent and satisfying emotional scenes as the characters in the alternative reality remembered the main time line, and their love for each other. This worked very well, at least until the last ten minutes, when we learn that they're actually all dead, and are in some kind of waiting dimension before moving on. Not only does this make no sense, but it completely invalidates everything that happened in the alternative universe. How is it possible that children are born in this reality when they weren't born on Earth? Why didn't Jin and Sun remember how to speak English? What relevance did the detonation of the H-Bomb have? Then there's all the burning questions built up and then discarded as the series went on, such as the whole pregnancy sub plot. I'd have expected some kind of explanation, but like so many others (no pun intended) there was none. The overall answer to everything seemed to be 'it's all down to some magical light in a cave'. What about 'the rules' regarding certain characters not being able to kill other characters? Thrown out of the window.

So emotionally, a success; intellectually, an epic fail. A shame, because this series had such enormous potential.

I'll see you in another life, Brotha

Author: sullivanm from Indiana, America
24 May 2010

Going into the Lost finale everyone had a question they wanted answered. Whether it was a main storyline question about the Man In Black or what exactly what the light in the heart of the island, or if it was a random question about Walt and the birds, or who built that statue; everyone had a question they got answered. However, chances are your question was not answered, but in the end that was okay.

Many people forget that Lost is a drama first, not a puzzle or mystery. As an individual who never missed an episode and whose living room became a Lost viewing party every Tuesday night, I had plenty of questions, however at the end of the day I had a connection built. Lost fans have their favorite characters, favorite episodes, favorite couple, etc. etc. Fans cried when Charlie died because they loved Charlie. Lost was a world of mystery that intrigue millions, but that mystery drew us into the lives of Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sawyer, the Kwons, Locke, and everyone else on the island.

The finale answered some of the questions we had, but it went beyond trying to answer all of our questions, it did its fans one better, it closed the story lines of everyone we cared about, not necessarily all the way through to their death, but through their life and the island.

In the end the island was a cork to stop evil from flooding the world and the flash sideways was the "in between" of the afterlife. In order for the castaways to move on to the next "stop" they needed to find each other in a life where they never crashed on the island. Not because it was some great test, but because they needed to move on with the people they loved.

The final ten minutes of Lost showed us how much the lives of the castaways were intertwined with each other's lives. How much they loved each other, and how important those relationships were to each other's life.

Very rarely does a show end and teach you a lesson about the people in your lives. Look around your life, who are the people that matter? Who will be the people you need to find in order to move on in the after life. Are you blessed enough to have people in your life that you share a bond with as strong as Jack and Kate? Or Sawyer and Juliet?

I cried tears of joy seeing the castaways find each other and remember how important each one of them is to the other. Jack died not to save the island, but to save his friends, and after he did it, they were all waiting for him, just like he told Desmond, "I'll see you in another life, Brotha."

Lost: 6 years of my life

Author: paris-23
24 May 2010

I can't believe I was watching this for 6 years, probably because of the promise that in the next episode something would finally be answered...well, it got so complicated during these 6 seasons , that what everybody pretty much expected, was true:the writers had no idea of what was lost and how it would end, so they ended it in the cheesiest way possible, with no explanation to the most important question:what is the island?I mean, trying to describe lost in a sentence, to someone who never saw it before (is there anybody like that?), it's a plane crash on an island , and the survivors find out it's a weird place.Why is it weird?well, after six years, we only know that yes it is.The end.Why does it go back and forth in time/space?who are these people, why don't they die, are they ghosts , aliens, gods, what??? "we don't have time for this" , probably the favorite answer to everything between the losties. So much for the sci fi explanation promised by the writers to turn down all the proposed solutions by the fans.At this point probably all the explanations in the world would be stupid, so they decide not to include any at all.

Let it go...thanks for watching for 6 years, we made millions, now let it go, we don't care.The biggest TV prank of the decate, and most people say they get it and loved it!

The Greatest Finale Of The Modern Era

Author: James Hughes from Los Angeles
25 May 2010

Too often, TV shows try to give us a finale that panders to the 'safe zone' of simply showing the lead character going on to live a happy life having fulfilled their objectives. And the question has been on the horizon for some time now…how on earth could the creators of Lost end this story?

Well, they did so, by giving us one of the most intelligent, moving, and brave endings in TV history. After the woeful 'Across The Sea' is was debatable that they could actually pull it off, and I for one was not expecting much from the finale. But boy was I wrong, and here's why:

1) The show refused to bend to the fanatics who wanted answers about the Island. Yes, I know there are those of you out there that were disappointed because you didn't get 'Island' answers. But you are missing the point. As they have continued to hammer home to us since season 1, this has never been a story about the Island, it is a story about the people. That is why throughout all six seasons we spent more time off island than on it. If this was a story about the Island the writers would never have left it. And yet they could've easily thrown some answers in there to keep you happy but it would have been irrelevant to the 'Lost story'. It could have been set on a mountain range or in caves, it was ALWAYS a story about PEOPLE that were LOST and needing to FIND THEMSELVES. That one thing that makes them feel whole, their destiny, and in most cases it was each other. Why Jacob had a thing for numbers is irrelevant. That's his business.

2) The Biggest Answers Were All Answered. a) Why exactly was Jack brought to the Island? – To sacrifice his life to save it. b) Why was Kate brought to the Island? – To kill Locke. c) Why was Hurley brought to the Island? – To become Jacob. d) What Is The Off Island World That We Keep Seeing? – A place of denial in which they had to be forced into seeing what had really happened to them all.

3) Some Of The Greatest Scenes In TV History. a) Sawyer and Juliet At The Vending Machine - was quite simply one of the best written scenes that have ever been filmed in any medium. b) Charlie and Clare Finding Each Other – Incredibly powerful and full of meaning. c) Jin and Sun Remembering – They remembered dying, which was a big clue as to what was about to come in the closing ten minutes. d) Jack In The Light – The look of disbelief on Jack's face when he thought it hadn't worked, to the one of utter and complete joy of having fulfilled his destiny when he saw the water trickling down was a stunning scene. Not one word of dialogue and yet it conveyed a thousand words. Truly magnificent.

4) The Two Huge Twists a) That The Alternate Reality Wasn't A Reality At All – Never saw this one coming and yet it makes perfect sense and resonates. b) That It Was Actually Hurley That Was Meant To Be Jacob – Jack seemed to always know this. He never spoke of doing the job for a long time. He knew, like Jacob did, that he was here for a reason. In the Lighthouse, Jacob said Jack was here "to do something" = ONE SINGULAR EVENT. And that "he has to figure that out on his own." When the Island was falling apart, Jack knew what his destiny was, to sacrifice his life to protect the Island so the real Jacob (Hurley) can stay on and protect it. For Jacob to make Hurley the guardian any earlier would have been to expose him to Locke, and it was always Jacob's trump card.

5) The Island Survives When Hurley and Ben eventually die, we can assume that Hurley found his own candidates and passed on the Jacob role to someone else. It is still important and people will continue to go there to find themselves when they are 'lost'.

6) Island Answers Left Open This was a masterstroke because it allows everybody to do what they have always done = interpret the answers their own way. By leaving them open, the writers have created a legacy that will continue to be discussed and debated for many many years. If they had spent season 6 answering Island questions then there would be nothing left to discuss when the show ends. It would have been all too easy and common place to answer these now. Leaving them open has left the mysteries of the Island in the hands of us viewers.

7) The Perfect Last Image To book-end the story with what we saw in the opening image of season 1 was the right way to end Lost. And yes, this is where Jack died. Not in the original plane crash, and not when the bomb went off. For Jack's character to come full circle, he had to sacrifice his life to save the Island, and when he'd achieved this, the Island was done with him. Brilliant last image and could not have been better. When he closed his eye, he died. Jack was no longer 'lost', he'd found his destiny. The End.

Mass Confusion.

Author: denacioust from Ireland
27 May 2010

I personally enjoyed the finale, and the mass of bad reviews on it here seem to be as a result of confusion or not paying attention to the show. Going through the previous review of it I see a lot of problems:

'Who was the Japanese guy?Why did he speak English and lived in LA in the parallel universe (or what ever that was)?'

His name was Dogen. He was just a higher-up among the others. He could speak English in the original timeline also, he just chose not to so as to differentiate him from the people he was in charge of. In LA he had no power over people, so had no need to differentiate him from other people. He was in the LA timeline as a red herring to make us think this was some sort of Deja Vu timeline, his presence there was inconsequential to the overall plot.

'What did Juliete mean when she whispered to Sawyer that they made it / it succeeded in the first episode of season 6? How did she know that?'

Didn't you watch the scene between her and Sawyer? When she said it worked and that they should go for coffee in the original timeline it was her kind of switching into the afterlife timeline as she was dying.

'Why did Jacob's twin brother, later fake Locke, die? And if he died how could he return? If he could use any body, why use Locke, when everybody knew Locke was dead? Why not infiltrate the group in season one, using Jack for example? '

He died because the light was turned off, which was why he had any power. He could only overtake the body of a dead person, so taking Jack's form was out of the question. He overtook Locke's body as a trusted member of the group who had already been given special treatment by the island, so it seemed reincarnation wasn't out of the question.

'Why did the Others take Walt? Michael, what happened to him? ' The Others took all the kids and apparently gave them all a better life. Michael died aboard the freighter when it exploded in the Season 4 finale.

'Libby?' Died when Michael shot her a long time ago.

'How was it possible for Ben to release the Black Smoke?' As we learned in the finale he actually wasn't able to summon it. It was summoning him. It let him believe that it was protecting the island, in order to get Ben to do his bidding. Locke was already the smoke monster whenever we saw Ben 'summoning' it, it's not hard to realise that Locke just followed Ben's order when he heard it.

'How did Ben manage to leave the island before and end up murdering Locke?' He turned the Donkey Wheel. In 'Across the Sea' we learned that the Donkey wheel was something that the smoke monster man created for him to leave the island.

'Why did he murder Locke?' Ben's evil.

'What ever happened to Rousseau?' Also got killed, by the freighter crew, quite a while ago.

'Why did they speak English on the Island? If Jacob spoke an ancient language and Richard spoke Spanish, why?' Well if you'd prefer to have had the whole show subtitled that's up to you. Somethings are put in just for the betterment of the show.

'Why was it that some things in the parallel universe was the same and others were very different?' Well if everything was the same then they'd just have crashed on the island again and we'd just be having flashbacks of old episodes.

'What happened to Mr Echo and his Church?' Ecko died a long time ago. Smokey killed him. His church never finished construction, since him and Charlie died.

'Why did they all have return to the Island?' The island wasn't finished with them, they also felt bad for leaving everyone on the island to die, basically.

' If they were dead, how could they return? Did they die on their second trip to the Island or in the plane crash? Did the plane crash take place or that was symbolic too?' They weren't dead. The flash-sideways was an afterlife for when they died eventually. The island was real, everything in the 6 seasons happened. They died eventually, they made this blatantly obvious. Jack died at the end of the episode, Kate and Sawyer and all got home and lived on with their lives. Hurley and Ben stayed on the island, and died eventually.

'Why have we followed Charles Widmore and his search for Ben when all that happened was that Ben shot him in season six?' It'd be a bit naive to say that's ALL that happened, considering how Widmore had Ben's daughter and most of his people murdered.

Another question which has been annoying me is the Polar Bear one. Anyone who's watched the show through season 3 knows that was explained a long time ago as a Dharma Initiative experiment.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed the finale, and while we didn't get an answer to every question, I didn't expect to. I think the reason it was so poorly received was that people expected there to be a logical, real- life explanation. There was a goddamn monster made of smoke on the island, there was never going to be a logical answer.

It's not about that...

Author: ModernMythMan from United States
24 May 2010

You're confused. You're disappointed. You may even be angry.

I get it.

You wanted answers and clarity and the dots to be connected. You wanted to understand just what the hell was going on and why. You didn't get that. And it seemed like the writers didn't have any interest at all in tying off the loose ends.

That's because they didn't.

This show was about human beings. The lives they lead. The choices they make. The beliefs that drive them. The fears that cripple them. Their triumphs and their failures. Their loves and their battles. It's about us and the little worlds we make for ourselves with the people we are connected to.

And look around you... How many questions do you have for your world? How much of it do you not understand and how often does it just get so ridiculously complicated that you can't even remember why you were putting in the work in the first place? How much of our time is spent searching for the answers to the questions, the complications, and the challenges? Answers that never seem to really stick. And how much does that obsessive search trip us up in appreciating what we've already been given?

That was the point of this show, guys and gals. There are questions all around us and we want so desperately to have them answered by the end. But when we get to the end -- the true end -- what we find is that those all-too critical questions and their elusive answers no longer matter; that it was never really about that at all. We just thought it was.

That's the true victory of LOST. What we've been given is a story whose structure and execution mirrored perfectly what the story itself was about. (It even struggled in those respects just as mightily as its characters in their respects from time to time.) We found ourselves in a place we don't really understand, surrounded by people we're bound to but do not yet know. And we fight and squabble and bicker and love and laugh and learn. And those of us who get it just a little bit more than the rest give their best to make sense of it all and do the right thing -- one mistake at a time. Those who realize that getting what we've been looking for lies more in sacrifice than selfishness.

What makes a story worth telling or a life worth living are not the questions or the answers or the sequence of events. It's the people we share it all with; the people along the ride for every stupid little moment that we can't figure out.

I thank the creators. And I hope that those of you still fixated on what makes the island move or Walt and the bird can begin to see that you've missed the point entirely. To remember, to let go and then just move on at peace...

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]