IMDb > "Lost" The Candidate (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost: The Candidate (#6.14)"

"Lost" The Candidate (2010)

« Prev | 115 of 118 Episodes | Next »

An emotionally charged episode

Author: jonhamms from Canada
5 May 2010

This is one of the most emotional episodes of lost ever! I was really shocked by every minutes of the episode; Jack Bender has done a terrifying job! At first I wasn't really surprised by the events but then when Jack & Locke decide to leave the island with the Sub-marine everything got suddenly interesting. Jake & Sawyer with their plan, Locke with the C4 explosives and Claire that was left all alone! Sayid sacrificing himself and picking the explosives with himself, Sun & Jin dying at the end, this was seriously the most emotional episode ever! I love the way the write it and once again Jack Bender is a genius. I can't wait to see what happens next with the Good&Evil episode…

one of the best episodes of the show

Author: magnetiko7 from Turkey
5 May 2010

The candidate is a flawless can-win-an-Emmy episode of Lost. It re-reminded me why I was so obsessed with the show. I really feel lucky to be in a minority in the world to have seen the show and especially to have seen this very episode. Love and sacrifice were the main themes in this episode and Jack Bender is genius enough to reveal them without a single flaw. I don't like exaggeration but this episode deserves it. I was really tense and emotional while watching and guess what?...I cried. Sayid sacrificing himself for the others clearly showed the change in his nature. And Claire...:( I really feel for her. She has been abandoned for three times now and she's not sure whether she should go with Flocke or not. And the Kwons...I burst into tears when Jin couldn't save Sun. But at least they were together and died together. And the cages...just like the old times. I felt like I was watching a third season episode. And the irony between FST LOcke and Flocke was well-revealed. He cared and felt guilty for what happened to his father in FST and he didn't feel guilty for Sawyer killing him in the original timeline. Simply put, The Candidate really is an "oh my God!!!" episode and I suppose I'll watch it over and over again.

I can't believe it

Author: mike-ryan455 from United States
4 May 2010

They said people we knew and cared about would be dying, but to see three of them go at once was horrible.

Sayid, running with the bomb, perhaps choosing to die to atone for his sins. Jin and Sun, finally together and inseparable. Yet they weren't all. Was Lapidis the pilot dead as well? Yet one was alive, Desmond.

The candidate - the living Locke could have been one for a cure for his paralysis but he considered himself unworthy because he had made his father into a living dead man. The other Locke, who had Sawyer kill his father. The dead Locke - who was determined to kill them all to get off the island.

Or are they dead? We saw Jin floating away from Sun. We also saw Jin going into Sun's hospital room. Was that Jin any less alive than the other one was dead? Was his life any less real? I keep thinking that the key element is time, and diverging timelines. Both lifelines were real, the one without Jason and the one with. They were very different. Is dead Locke so casually killing them because all of that version of them would be dead and all of them would be alive if that other reality were the only one.

Only a few more weeks will tell. It's sad. Tuesday nights won't be the same.

Building to a conclusion means some get left behind.

Author: John Naylor from Leeds, West Yorkshire
13 September 2016

My first ever review on here. I have watched all of Lost up to this episode for the first time in the past 3 months. I felt I should actually get round to reviewing an episode.

I agree with other people that 'The Constant' is the best episode I have seen but this one is not that far behind it. It has great character moments, deaths and it ties up at least one loose end. The direction and music are near perfect and every major acting role is done with a precision the series has sometimes lacked. The first major death was a redemption of the character and the other ones played out beautifully. I would highly recommend sticking with the series to see this episode.

10/10 and just a great 41 minutes (or so) of TV!

OK, not great

Author: gridoon2016
5 May 2010

Certainly more action-packed than any previous season 6 episode, "The Candidate" is still not as great as it should have been, in my opinion, considering that there are only 4 episodes left 'till the end of the whole series. Season 3 remains the golden standard as far as finishing runs go, and "The Candidate" is no "The Brig" (even if a key supporting character appears in both). Several deaths occur in this episode, both major and minor, but the major ones lack the emotional impact they should have, for two main reasons: A) They are way too similar in concept to previous major deaths, B) The characters are still alive in the alternate timeline. In fact, this episode re-affirms my fears about season 6, that it may end in the most predictable fashion, with the so-called flash-sideways actually being flash-forwards that portray the remaining timeline after the destruction of the other one. Hope I'm wrong! On the positive side, "The Candidate" is well-directed by Jack Bender, who at times manages to make it feel almost like a Hollywood action movie (a compliment for a TV episode, with an obviously lower budget), and Matthew Fox gives an exceptional performance - in this season, he is really the only one (with honorable mention to Nestor Carbonell, but only for his own episode, "Ab Aeterno") who has risen to the level of the acting giant of the show, Terry O'Quinn. *** out of 4.

LOST - now back on track

Author: shanc_sk from India
6 May 2010

alrite... here we are back on track.

after some thrill-less episodes, seems LOST is good to make a grand finale of "2.5 hrs" with The last recruit & now, The Candidate.

The Candidate did take some unexpected twists on road to 23rd May. In sideways-timeline, Locke refuses to become a candidate & on the island, Jack seems to be following Locke's path of ideas, to become a candidate.

On the Island : After Jack screwed up with the nuclear blast therby killing Juliet & not mending anything, it was Sawyer's turn to screw up things not just with the death of one main character 'Sayid', but also the Kwons & probably, Lapidus too.

Not much Qs been answered yet, awaiting the upcoming final episodes to be more thrilling.

This is the best show on TV & i give it a 9/10. The remaining 1 depends on how cuse & lindelof carry this show and answer the 'hell lotta' unanswered Qs. Hope the ending for this show is really worth this 6 seasons.

Cuse & Lindelof,

Please don't spoil the ending with some lame twists; better have some good answers.

Anyways, counting on u guys...

Strained and twisted story, extreme emotions, smart and intriguing character development, mesmerizing acting and I Found my brain… or not

Author: igoatabase from France
5 May 2010

The Candidate is you ! You've been summoned to quickly read this very review and watch the episode right afterward. There's no escape, it's your destiny ! You should enjoy its strained story. Its unpredictable events should blow you away. A smile on your face, tears in your eyes the next second. The Substitute focused on John, Lighthouse on Jack. Well this one merged the best of both worlds and served us with one of the most wicked and heartbreaking relationship ever developed. Of course it felt like some parts were rushed because of the 40 something minutes dreadful limit but overall so many things happened that I already plan to watch it again. Matthew Fox and Terry O'Quinn performances were mesmerizing and I wished the close-up on Jack's face never ended. The romantic within also wouldn't mind if he shared more time with Freckles but I suppose the writers have decided to save our favorite love birds for the finale. Yes because it's coming. Sundown was dark and brutal and this installment was quite similar in a way. However its story was far much more twisted and the end should definitely puzzle you even if I sort of saw it coming. Indeed there were a few mistakes and one issue is the lack of planning and strategy some actions are designed with. But maybe we'll get some answers in the upcoming episode, yes I'm sure we will. Still reading like the coward you are ? Don't be afraid my friend because the world of Lost is dangerous but full of wonders and bare naked coconuts. Go now and only come back once your mission is accomplished ! Wait… were you on flight Oceanic 815 ?

Evil Thing

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 April 2013

Sawyer and his group are arrested by Widmore's group. Meanwhile Jack awakes in the Hydra Island and Sayid tells to Jack that Locke saved him. Now there are only the three against Widmore and Locke asks Jack to help him to rescue Sawyer's group from the cages. Sayid turns off the generator and the smoke monster attacks Widmore's camp; Jack opens the cages to release the group. Locke kills the guards that are protecting the plane and removes the explosives but he tells that the plane is not safe. Locke tells that they will need to use the submarine to leave the island. Jack pushes Locke into the water, but they are attacked by Widmore's group. Locke and Claire are left behind and he tells to her that she would not like to be in the submarine. Jack finds explosive in his backpack but Jack tells that nothing will happen to them. Sayid runs with the bomb to save the group; however Sun is trapped in the debris and Jin stays with her and only Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley survive.

In the parallel reality, Jack saves Locke and offers a chance to heal him. Jack visits Bernard to learn Locke's historic and he gives the name of Anthony Cooper. Jack visits him in a nursing home and then he invites Claire to stay home with him.

I have nothing else to say about this show that was destroyed by incompetent writers. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "The Candidate"