IMDb > "The Irate Gamer" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Irate Gamer" More at IMDbPro »

Stay away from this god awful piece of trite!

Author: bj_arni from Reykjavik, Iceland
30 August 2009

Five reasons why The Irate Gamer should not be watched by anyone.

5.Chris Bores can't act. If you are going to make a show with the gimmick that you sit in front of a camcorder and act angry, make sure that you know how to act. Any small piece of acting would be good. Bores is a terrible actor. He can't even make a convincing grunt while he plays video games.

4.Highly unfunny. If you are going to make a comedy show, make sure that you are funny. Bores does a blend of observational humor and slapstick that have it in common to be unfunny and predictable. For example; When reviewing Tetris in a very bland manner, Bores mentions how addictive the game can be but says that he's not affected, just like clockwork, we are treated to a cut of a black screen with the letters 'couple of hours later' where we then see Bores acting like a Heroin Junkie, sweaty screaming out "I want my Tetris". Not only was this joke very predictable to the audience, but it was done in such a manner that I can't imagine anyone laughing at it.

3.He's not a Gamer. If you are going to make a show about video games, make sure that you can play them. Bores might be a couple of things. A Martial Artist, a Ghost Hunter, a college graduate (at least according to him) but he ain't no gamer. This becomes highly obvious when he complains about how some, if not all, of the games that he plays are too hard, and these include games that six year old kids were beating on their first try. Only eight seconds into Contra, he got killed, which he then blamed on the game, for being too hard. This often lead to Bores cheating his way through the game or playing it on the easiest difficulty level. Which is just plain stupid. He's there to review a game, not skip through it on the easiest setting. Would you watch a cooking show where the cook would simply order take-out because cooking is way too hard? I don't think so.

2.He's not a reviewer. If you are going to make a show where you review games, please be sure that you are able to review things. Reviewing is not really a skill, it's just saying your opinion on something in a manner that most people can understand it, Bores takes whatever game he can get his hands on, talks about it's flaws (like, how easy to die it is for him) and then says it's terrible. He often doesn't bother to go into any detail, with most of his episodes ranging from 2 to 5 minutes in length (with maybe some additional minutes for abysmal acting).

1.RIPP-OFF. The concept of the show came from the much more talented and enjoyable James Rolfe who created the character of the Angry Video Game Nerd back in 2004. After becoming a YouTube sensation in 2006, Chris Bores mimicked him with his show, something that he admitted, although privately to the AVGN Homepage, and has denied since. All comments on YouTube about the similarities are often taken down minutes after being posted and Bores pretty much pretends that James Rolfe doesn't exists, unless he gets pinpointed in a radio interview, where he will say that it's all a coincidence, despite saying in the mail to James Rolfe (that was posted on Rolfe's forum) that he was inspired by his world famous 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle' review, which makes sense, seeing that the Irate Gamer did not only review the exact same game, but he also stole a large portion of Rolfe's jokes, and in order to not come of as a plagiarist, he decided to review the highly popular and well made Konami sequels, which he reviewed poorly, saying that they were just as terrible. Bores has often stolen more subtle jokes from other YouTube NES reviewers, including from the lesser known WizWar, where he stole a lot from his Predator review, including his 'Fists of Fury' punchline and from VideoGamesAreAwesome who did a hilarious dance video with R.O.B. and were badly mimicked by Bores.

I think I've heard this somewhere before.

Author: clarkedwardobrien from United Kingdom
30 August 2009

How does Chris Bores sleep at night? There are a lot of games review shows on the net these days and as you would expect there is a lot of repetition of content what with people reviewing the same games and what have you but I invite you to watch the Irate Gamers review of TMNT for the NES then watch the earlier review of the same game by the Angry Video Game Nerd. Bores parrots every point in the similar but less amusing phonier sounding outraged style he even repeats slightly altered versions of AVGN's creative foul mouthed exclamations. All in all he's not the worst reviewer on the net but I find it reprehensible that he found a popular pundits work and seems to have copied it. It might be a coincidence but it would be a pretty odd one

Low quality Rip-Off

Author: Vincent Romeijn from Netherlands
25 August 2010

Don't watch this show; it's an unfunny rip-off of the much funnier show "The Angry Video Game Nerd" (James Rolfe).

The creator, Chris Bores (whose name describes his show better than the actual title) is infamous for plagiarizing the content of hordes of other reviewers, and will deny any claim of him possibly being inspired by other reviewers.

It all began with Bores' review of the NES game 'Back to the Future', which James Rolfe had reviewed a year earlier. Bores blatantly elaborated on the same glitches in the game and even copied the famous joke "I wish I could go back in time to prevent this game from being made" from Rolfe.

Later, Bores decided to review some "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" video games, one of which had already been reviewed by Rolfe, again about a year earlier. As you would expect, Bores complained about the same things as Rolfe did, and even stole swearwords that Rolfe came up with.

James Rolfe dressed up as a Ghostbuster for his review of "Ghostbusters". Later, Chris Bores also dressed up as a Ghostbuster.

Also, Bores can't act. He relies on the special effects he uses in his reviews, but his reviews still aren't much more watchable.

Besides this show, Chris Bores has also made so-called parodies of "Mythbusters" and "Ghostbusters", which are actually just complete copies of those. He gave one of his own DVD's a positive review on Amazon.com.

These are just some of the reasons for which you should avoid watching this show. Instead, go watch "The Angry Video Game Nerd", which is of far better quality.

Truly awful...

Author: Pearljam109 from United States
15 December 2011

Now, when I write a review, I like to write a positive and negative paragraph...There is no way I can do this on this review. So I guess this interview will be only two paragraphs, the introduction and what is bad. This is because there is no good that comes to mind when I think of the Irate Gamer.

The show, if you can call it that, is nothing but a shameless knock off of the "Angry Video Game Nerd". Even with that aside, the show is without a doubt thoughtless and horrendous. The jokes are predictable and dull, the information is downright inaccurate at some points, and the production is half hearted. To conclude, this show is to the AVGN what Turkish Star Wars is to Star Wars.

Worst video game review series ever.

Author: emasterslake from United States
19 April 2012

After hearing negative comments on how bad Irate Gamer is, I decided to watch his first episode. After that I now understand why everyone hates this show so much. It's so bad, that I have no interest in watching his other reviews if he couldn't live up to his title.

It's been noted by other people, but I like to say it in my own words. Chris Bores is basically someone who has watched Angry Video Game Nerd and tries to do his own version of the show which falls flat on the floor. If he was going to do his own internet show on reviewing games, he'd have to find his own image and theme, not steal the identity of another successful series.

He's way too boring, Chris Bores spends no time in coming up with jokes that work excellent. He makes James Rolfe look like Robin Williams, who is a natural in throwing out a good joke and punch line. Chris is one of those guys who would use a joke that seems funny to him but to others it causes groaning and annoyance. If he was a stand up comedian, he'd already get bombard by trash on the stage. I can say a lot of things that I would rather watch than watch Chris Bores, but that would make this review too long.

The way he reviews his games are bland and the skits he comes up with are something a kid would come up with. Take his review on the NES Back to the Future game, his bee joke was lame and the part where he goes back to the year 1987 had no effort shown what so ever. I got too distracted by the flat screen computer monitor and modern wireless home-phone, when it was meant to be 1987 not the mid 2000s. Angry Video Game Nerd however, reviewed the same game not once but twice, and delivered the jokes perfectly. Plus Nerd spends a lot of time coming up with his skits for his own series. For Irate Gamer, I can't imagine him doing that well in school if he fails to do well with his projects.

While I do know that the first Angry Video Game Nerd episodes were simple, except Jame Rolf got better as he progressed further with his series. Chris Bores however never has improved, and I could care less if he ever does. If you want to watch a good internet show about an angry gamer playing bad or challenging games, Angry Video Game Nerd is the right show for you. Irate Gamer is not only a disgrace, it's also managed to be in the same level as one of those low budget Turkish films that try to copy an American film. So if you're curious to watch Irate Gamer, do so with caution cause don't blame me if you keep falling asleep.

"After doing some research" I found out this show is HORRIBLE!!!!!

Author: kevcoop7 from United States
15 January 2013

And to think I liked this show... LIKED! Boy I was wrong! couple of things...

1) He was BORING!!!!

Oh my gosh, I have never seen any body in any video be this boring... I can understand if people are inexperienced in front of a camera and trying things out and they be boring, but this guy, UGH! Now I know where you people are coming from! His voice is so monotone!

2) The GOD AWFUL ACTING!!!

And before you criticize me of calling him a bad actor, I have a bunch of acting experience, limited in front of a camera, but I have stage acting! And boy, talk about bad movies having bad acting! This guy is HORRENDOUS!!! He can't convince me any longer that he's good!

3) NOT A GAMER!!!

I know you people have gone this way, but, let me give my thing about gaming! I have played video games basically my entire life! Hard games, easy games, difficult games, etc... but when this guy complains about how hard a game is when I could probably beat it in about a day.

4) These aren't reviews...

These are infomercials! The fact he complains a game is hard when it's not, he destroys the games afterward, and he gives them the finger after he shreds them, just proves these are infomercials!

5) TOTALLY UNENTERTAINING!!!

Originally, I would watch his videos with not a care in the world, but then... I read reviews on this site...

If he is The Irate Gamer, how come he's not so much Irate!

Author: Hasan Renkal from Sweden
25 February 2012

The Irate Gamer is a guy that makes video game videos, he is a wannabe Angry Video Game Nerd. AVGN is not a wannabe because he came some years before Irate Gamer came. He's name is Irate Gamer but is he so irate? The answer is now. Like in Super Mario Bros. 2 review, he was not that much angry and the jokes just sucked hard that i almost slept. The toilet scene just wasn't funny cause i can get that star from that cliff in a second with Peach and he just stand and don't try. He knew that everyone said he's a wannabe so thats why he made Irate Gamer Neo where he reviews newer games and good games rather then old and bad games which is good but still so awful. If you write one single comment that isn't nice, he will block you and you will never comment on his channel or his videos. He can not act and he think that the animations would be funny but they are boring. The worst video he made that many also think is the worst is Top 5 Disappointments of E3 2011 and almost everyone disliked it because Skyward Sword was in that video and i also disliked it and i comment something that was not nice and now he blocked me. Sorry Chris but i don't like your videos and you are not much Irate so you be named The Gamer Neo instead.

The Irate Gamer - 1/10

Terrible series

Author: mechanoise from United Kingdom
18 October 2013

Chris Bores fails to impress in this terrible series that does not review games.

A reviewer's job is to provide ample detail of content and personal opinions of the game that's being reviewed. Having a strong backlog of gaming experience, as well as a depth of knowledge of the variety of game genres, is very much needed when you're attempting to pass yourself off as a credible reviewer that mass-public should take seriously;

Chris is neither of these things. The Irate Gamer Show strongly focuses on weak and unnecessary stories that attempt to tie into the game being reviewed. It's clear that criteria exists for ample reviewing, in that in order for a game to be reviewed it must have enough set up for bad jokes, it must be a game he can play (if it's a neo review), and must have cheats available.

The Irate gamer show is split into the classic Irate Gamer HD show, Irate Gamer neo, I-rate the 80s, IG Shorts, and History of Video Games. His biggest problem is that his research is weak, making critical mistakes that are typically written off as 'jokes'.

Common mistakes include: - Citing the Genesis was made to compete with a console that wasn't even out yet. - Marking frustration at a game for not having a number 9 on its roulette when there in fact 'is' a 9 on there. - Saying Al Alcorn's name as Al Acorn.

To sum up, Chris Bores is not a real gamer. He complains many games are too hard, even at the easiest setting, reviews the first level of games whilst commenting many times that he only played a few hours into the game. Christ also fails to go into any depth of detail regarding the game, aside from very basic information such as characters, locations and main objective - there are never any details regarding the story, controls, playability, etc.

The Irate Gamer show serves as a piggy-back for his other work, as Chris shows gaming to be one of his lesser skills. I'm also disgusted that he lets him 'mom' parade around the channel comments, spouting incredibly childish and offencive remarks towards anyone who shows negativity. Personally, I am in the majority that believe he portrays his mother, and it's rather sad.

I honestly don't feel he's trying, and until he has a bit of humility about him I won't give him the time of day. Shut the channel down and try something else.

It's watchable..... it's not enjoyable

Author: Alex Thomas from United States
15 January 2014

The Irate Gamer gets a lot of hate on YouTube. For good reason. He blatantly rips off the AVGN, he isn't funny, and he tries to control every square inch of his channel and videos. But, it's watchable. It's not like the Bubsy cartoon pilot, where you wonder "Why am I doing this?" 10 seconds after you turn it on. No, "The Irate Gamer" is watchable and tolerable. That being said, he isn't enjoyable. There is a HUGE difference between, "enjoyable" and "watchable". "Watchable" means it doesn't kill you the moment you turn it on. "Enjoyable" means you find worth and happiness in it. Chris Bores' show is watchable, but it's not enjoyable. So, for those of you that think he makes a good show, fine. I won't disagree with you, because there are people who think he makes a good product. But, if you are like me, or if you're trying to find opinions on who is better, watch the AVGN instead of the Irate Hack, because if you are looking for laugh-out-loud moments, you won't find any with Chris Bores.

I'm A "Fustrated" Reviewer and Running. Ranting on the Irate Gamer.

Author: WeYreAoung from United States
13 December 2013

The Irate Gamer is seriously one of the worst gamers on the internet, and in real life. I wouldn't have a problem with Irate Gamer but he chooses so many bad choices and that makes him bad for the good reasons. He wants to copy James Rolfe's identity, use it in a corny way, and make his own show cashing in "The Angry Video Game Nerd". It's like The Asylum taking a hit block buster, raping it, and turning it into a special FX fest with poor acting. The special FX in here aren't so special as it weren't you, gamers. The physics in Chris's world don't apply. Now on to the rant on the Irate Hack! He is, you know what that means, not funny. That one joke he made in his ROB the Robot review, was one of the worst jokes in existence. Don't get me started with his other jokes, they're as corny as you think. He is also a very bad actor, and I mean very bad. His friends give out terrible roles as well. Well, he only has little friends, that's why the additional characters are all played by him. He isn't so irate, he just makes these faces like he's taking the biggest dump in his life, and oh boy, overacting. Gotta add the over acting! His research is as thick as his acting, I can't explain it, and I must say that I'm disappointed that this hack is still alive!