IMDb > "The Good Wife" Pilot (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Good Wife: Pilot (#1.1)"

"The Good Wife" Pilot (2009)

1 of 134 Episodes | Next »

The Good Wife 'Pilot' Review

Author: Elizabeth from Chicago
23 September 2009

When I heard about the series 'The Good Wife' I thought "...not another one of those again", talk about judging a book by it's cover. The opening scene established the basis of the promotion; a good wife who stuck by her husband just up until his cheating and fraud scandal. In those moments the premise of 'Jack and Bobby' and other politician based shows with the extra drama came to mind, but then the series took a new spin when Alicia Florrick stepped into an apparent law firm to continue her career after her husband had been jailed.

I think back to court based shows like Boston Legal and placed them together to see if it measures up, because I wasn't certain of the show's identity few minutes into it. That was wrong without reason, I usually give a series four episodes for the most for it to be appealing, but in a sudden twist 'The Good Wife' spun a new definition of interesting and kept me watching till the end and surprisingly looking forward to the next installment.

Not only does Julianna Margulies have presence, she gives a definition to her character that I find myself loathing her husbands character and questioning his credibility. How would you feel about a leaked tape of your husbands infidelity, you surely would not like to be in Alicia's shoes. She started off shaky in the court room but managed to hold her ground which might have been based on weak evidence. Non the less I wondered if the Judge really despised her or was just not into the case as much. He did despise her husband, they probably shared that in common.

I didn't grasp the full concept of the show, as I'm sure more would be revealed as we get the know these new characters spending some time on television with us. I did learn that Alicia's children aren't really tuned into the full details of their father's conviction. She seemed more like a rookie intern than the real deal, that's what you probably get from spending time away from work and being 'The Good Wife'. There might actually be a relationship that goes far beyond friendship between her and Will Gardner. Alicia may also have to be on the lookout for Diane Lockhart who seems to be threatened by her for some apparent reason. Let's hope her husband's enemies keep themselves at bay, especially if it turns out that he's innocent. I'm not to sure about the affair though, that would take more convincing on his part.

There is still a new whiff to this series and there is a fine line between it and resembling a remake of another hit series. 'The Good Wife' is making it's name and the drum roll would hopefully get louder as the season progresses. Things don't become gold in one make, if only things were that simple.

Lexa Reviews

_______________________

Four out of Five Stars

Grade B+

_______________________

What's next?

Author: savoir from Durham, NH
27 September 2009

The Pilot of this series is nothing short of great. If this turns into a series where women play a dominating role and men are relegated to a weak-kneed role, it won't last. Noth is presented as a "special guest star". His few seconds on the pilot brings balance to the plot (and the series). Baranski's role is good as a person who had to fight her way to the top and shows the scars to prove it. When she meets a competitor who is capable of coming up with a "Hail Mary Pass", she reacts negatively. This pilot is "so open" we have no idea what comes next. It is a mirror of real life and proof that fact is really more interesting than fiction. The viewer has virtually no idea what will occur next but wants to stay for the next installment. The first of the series has given it a running start. Stay tuned.

Derivative Garbage

Author: arfdawg-1 from United States
23 January 2014

Thirteen years after giving up her career as a lawyer to focus on husband and family, Alicia Florrick returns to a large law firm to start over again.

Her husband, the State's Attorney for Cook County, was forced to resign after a sex scandal involving public funds and prostitutes.

On her first day, she is assigned a pro bono case and is defending a woman accused of killing her ex-husband and trying to cover it up with a fake carjacking.

The previous trial ended in a hung jury which, Alicia learns, was very much leaning toward conviction.With the help of the firm's in-house investigator, Alicia looks to open up a new line of defense against the advice of the firm's senior female partner who previously handled the case.

I realize this show gets some good reviews. All that speaks to is the horrible state of TV these days. I will give it a few more episodes to get moving and see where it goes, but I was not a fan of the pilot.

The plot has been done before. The story lines are derivative. While the acting is good, there is nothing unique about this show and the sideline with the husband is a drag.