IMDb > Columbus Circle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Columbus Circle

Columbus Circle More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Does anyone LISTEN to the dialogue?

Author: mikecapps1 from United States
24 March 2012

A good watch...not academy material but very entertaining. The plot may not exactly shine but the accomplished actors make up for its shortcomings. Only the directing could have made this a better film. Character development could have been better as well but is average considering the run time.

This won't exactly be on rotation in my movie library but I could stand to watch this more than once.

I don't know why this hasn't gotten better reviews. I hear all the complaints but if you actually watched this movie and LISTENED to what the actors said you might have enjoyed it more.

It's OK in a way, I suppose

Author: 5h4d0w from ...
27 February 2012

Considering the initially negative but not very eloquent comments about this movie but the promising trailer, I figured I might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, that was not really the case. And I would usually not review a movie like this because it is neither something I would recommend, nor something I would recommend to stay away from.

Yes, the premise is nothing new (but how many movies each year does one see where that is really the case?) and the acting is cringe-worthy in a lot of places (I especially could not believe the performance in some of Selma Blair's and Amy Smart's scenes - both of whom I found great in virtually every movie I've seen them in) but still, I think it is a nice little story.

I find it ironic how people reviewing this call various elements stupid while at the same time lacking the ability to comprehend Selma Blair's character. Especially considering that it is really very simple from a logical point of view. I don't see a point writing a review that contains spoilers, so I won't say anything more about this. But as always, a little empathy goes a long way and will make the viewer realize the motivations for certain things happening. Although I will not deny that some of them seem odd, rushed, out of character at first glance, many of these can be explained if given just a bit of thought.

Overall, I would say that it is a mildly amusing but pretty forgettable movie that is probably best experienced when not paying full attention to it.

Wanted to like it but was just unable to.

Author: Ross Simpson from United Kingdom
13 October 2013

Before watching this movie I wanted to like it. Being a fan of many of the actors in this movie I thought it had the potential to be unknown yet good movie, unfortunately that is not the case.

The premise was interesting a murder takes place in the room opposite from a woman with Agoraphobia and hasn't left her apartment in 11 years and from then on the direction of the film follows around this character. From then on the movie starts to fall apart, some of the acting verges on being poor,many of the films concepts become implausible and the films conclusion is just embarrassing.

However, the film isn't a complete loss, the story is enough to keep the movie at least quite interesting and is filled with many twists some of which lead to the films finest moments. Also, Kevin Pollak and Giovanni Ribisi put in performances that are at least rather good which is a shame due to their limited screen time.

In the end the film is so concerned in throwing as many twists as possible into it that it forgets in how to carry a story and in the end is left in a mess. In my opinion the movie is watchable yet but not good and I would be shocked if anybody were to find this movie anything higher than good. If presented with the opportunity of watching other movies viewers should look into taking a chance elsewhere.

Gullibility incarnate

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
20 October 2012

A murder of an elderly lady resident in the high rise apartments of Columbus Circle initiates the story. However the death is made to seem to be an unfortunate accident with her falling down a flight of stairs. Despite reservations by detective Frank Giardello (Giovanni Ribisi) the crime is noted as accidental. Opposite the apartment lives reclusive and agoraphobic Abigail (Selma Blair), a sole heir to an immense fortune, but haunted by memories of fatherly abuse. Soon after the death a new couple move opposite Abigail: the beautiful Lilian Hart (Amy Smart) and her abusive partner Charles Stratford (Jason Lee).

Intent on igniting claustrophobic tension camera angles sweep and swerve, music circles and entraps, but overall atmosphere appears in short fits to dissipate thanks to an overall terrible performing cast, visibly unconvinced by the story being portrayed. Especially Blari and Smart fail to induce a sense of feasibility, not helped by the wandering script lightening up plot-hole receptors and creating a sense of ever-growing implausibility. The whole story is also overly predictable with clichéd scenes fronted by film school trademark shots completing this unimaginative and borderline repetitive movie. Despite the best Hitchcock inspired intentions "Columbus Circle" requires a high level of gullibility with its occasionally farcical acting.

Better Than Expected

Author: earlytalkie from United States
6 April 2013

When I accessed the reviews for Columbus Circle, I couldn't believe all the negativity surrounding this production. Apparently, after this was made, there was no studio willing to release it theatrically. It went straight to video. I sometimes don't listen to the multitude of reviews that surround a certain film, preferring to make my own opinion. After viewing this, I found it to be a surprisingly good and watchable film with a good story, good acting and good directing. This was an original story which had a good denouement, very satisfying. I suppose that there was not enough sex and violence in this production to serve the prurient tastes of the mass audience. Tastes have changed much in recent years and I guess that there isn't much of an audience for a film that does not rely on CGI effects or gratuitous sex and violence. I even liked the main title sequence, which would not have been out-of-place on a suspense film made in the fifties or sixties. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I liked this.

Acceptable thriller well written , produced and played by Kevin Pollack

Author: ma-cortes
14 May 2012

This interesting suspense movie deals with a young woman named Abigail Clayton (Selma Blair) who lives deeply alone . She is a heiress who's been shut inside her apartment building for nearly two decades is forced to confront her fears after one of her neighbors is killed . The famous daughter of a wealthy industrialist, Abigail disappeared from the prying eyes of the press and the intrusiveness of her family on her 18th birthday, the day she received her massive inheritance. During years of self-imposed isolation, Abigail has had contact with only two people-her building's Concierge, Klandermann, with whom she communicates via notes-and Dr. Raymond Fontaine (Beau Bridges) , a longtime family friend . When there happens the death of her elderly neighbor , Police arrives to begin the investigation and prompts NYPD Homicide Detective Frank Giardello (also producer Giovanni Ribisi was previously in George Gallo's earlier movie Middle Men) and Detective Jerry Eaans (Jason Antoon) to launch an investigation, the Abigail is distressed to find him outside her door, asking to question her. Having tried to acquire the dead woman's now vacant apartment to ensure her privacy, Abigail is further upset when her requests go unanswered, and new tenants Lillian and Charlie move in. Abigail anxiously monitors her new neighbors from the safety of her front door's peephole, but her well-ordered world begins to unravel when she finally encounters Lillian (Amy Smart) and Charlie (First non-comedic film for Jason Lee since The Ballad of Jack and Rose) face-to-face-and her sheltered existence becomes threatened in unexpected and terrifying ways.

This is a nail-biting and exciting thriller well directed by George Gallo . The film contains suspense , thrills , twits and turns . From start to final the intrigue and thrilling scenes are continuous . This is a picture made among friends , as most of them either play , write or produce such as Giovanni Ribisi , Jason Lee and Kevin Polack . Good performance from Selma Blair as the attractive agoraphobic heiress who has not left her Manhattan loft apartment for almost two decades. All-star-support-cast formed by known actors as Jason Lee , Kevin Pollack , Robert Guillaume and the veteran Beau Bridges as a Doctor and her sole confidant for most of her life . Suspenseful and moving musical score by Brian Tyler . Colorful though sometimes dark cinematography by Anastas Michos . The flick was compellingly written and realized by George Gallo . He is a prestigious writer such as ¨Bad boys I and II ¨ and ¨Midnight run¨ ; being an expert filmmaker on comedy genre as proved in ¨My mom's new boyfriend¨ , Double take¨ , and ¨Trapped in Paradise¨ . His greatest success is ¨The middle man¨ and ¨Colombus Circle¨ results to be his only thriller .

A cab ride to nowhere *Spoilers*

Author: Tenate9 from Londinium
27 February 2012

*Spoilers* One of the most bizarre main stream movies ever made. Cops letting suspects go, forensic evidence plot holes, Voodoo computer wizardry by novices, Women who dye their hair perfectly in minutes... the silliness of this movie just doesn't end. If you can actually struggle through this... entire 'MacGuffin' of an ethereally plotted movie. If you can cope with the incredible and not too subtle changes in character psychology. So blatantly written, in order to move to the films inexplicable denouement. Then someone please tell me, how does the main protagonist, whom we are told has no personal identification whatsoever... expect to board a plane?

Similar to french cheese - it has a lot of holes and it stinks

Author: Andrei P. from Iasi - Romania
26 February 2012

-Mild Spoilers- Imagine a stupid gal. Not agoraphobic just plain stupid. She had it rough, she has a bag full of money and she refuses to get out of some luxury apartment.

She hasn't been seen for 12 years, she hasn't left the apartment during this time, yet in a few days she goes on strolls down to the bank to play the evil "dudess" in a completely failed finale for a completely failed movie.

People killing people without fear of obvious evidence left around. People changing identities like dirty socks. Stupid detectives that can't put 2 plus 2 together - what is this garbage? An epic fail! Over and out.

very watchable!!

Author: zif ofoz from United States
11 May 2013

this is one of those stories we want to see with never ending unexpected surprise twist and turns in the plot. this movie is not that!! BUT as an entertaining film it cooks on all four burners!

the story is predictable and at one point even silly (doctors house in garden) --- but so what. even if you can guess what will happen next what will keep you watching is to see how they will achieve it. the acting is good and there are a few truly suspenseful scenes. the setting is lavish and a treat for the eyes. you can even find yourself becoming emotionally involved with the recluse.

so if you want a story without too much to have to watch and remember so you will understand what exactly is happening in the story - this is your flick.

The plot of crimes moves along quickly but leaves the characters behind

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
8 April 2012

A collection of good, underused actors and actresses have been assembled in "Columbus Circle". It's the type of place that is described as anything can happen there. I'll take their word for it. The events that occur in the movie get increasingly far-fetched as we go along, and unfortunately, to the detriment of the enjoyment of the film.

An old woman is found dead in her apartment. The simple answer is that it was an accidental fall but the police are there investigating it as a homicide. The main character, Abigail (Selma Blair) lives across the hall. When a detective questions her, we are supposed to believe that is the very first time she has opened her door for anyone.

Abigail isn't really Abigail. She's a wealthy heiress who disappeared from home when she was a teenager, never to be seen from or heard from again. Her family doctor (Beau Bridges) is her only confidante, and she communicates via letters with the Columbus Circle doorman. The detective is curious about her because he sees her as a victim. If this were a better film that would have been a very intriguing element.

It's not a bad film per se, it's just that the characters that interested us at first start acting in unrealistic ways and we're left scratching our heads over the point of it all.

After the old woman's body is removed, Abby wants to buy the place just for her peace of mind, but instead it goes to a young savvy couple (Jason Lee and Amy Smart) who are constantly at physical odds with each other. Apparently, Abby is so distraught over the welfare and safety of her new neighbour that she invites her into her apartment. As you can likely guess a whole host of problems, crimes, double-crossings and shady connections come with her.

The actors were all good. The characters could have been good if there was a bit more development. The plot moved fine for its short run time. I was mostly impressed with Jason Lee and Giovanni Ribisi. This is one of Lee's only dramatic ventures in his filmography and it's a great divergence for him. Ribisi played a smart, shrewed and caring detective which is a welcome change to his usual parade of drugged-out dopey teenagers. If the other actors more closely portrayed characters that resembled real people with normal or interesting traits and attributes, then I could have appreciated them too.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]