I Am Number Four (2011) Poster

345 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Oh So Familiar
dusouljah11 February 2011
OK the effects were great, the action was impressive....I mean visually, the movie was pretty good.

And I'll even say the acting was done well. The characters were charming, the pace was slow at times, but not dead boring slow.

My only problem was, how many times are we going to see the exact same story. I mean this was your typical teen drama....new kid..shady past... weird and wants to stay to himself, but there's always some cute chick who he risks everything for.

I mean it's the same ole same ole....you explore and try to harness your new powers beating up bullies and jumping around where no one can see you until a super strong villain pops up you have to fight in the climax.

I mean as far as an overall success the positive things I mentioned originally (great effects, charming characters, impressive action) can for the most part salvage the movie. But if you're a fan of the genre, don't expect anything new. 3 1/2 outta 5 stars...
151 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Twilight with balls
Superunknovvn21 March 2011
Do you know that old movie rule that you subconsciously decide whether you're going to enjoy a film or not within the first ten minutes? Well, it wasn't true this time, because after the opening sequence, I was pretty sure I was going to hate "I Am Number Four". Thankfully, I was in for a pleasant surprise.

It all starts with bad CGI-monsters and some guys in Star Trek make-up chasing people around in the jungle. We then cut to some jocks doing tricks on jet skis and some bland blonde girls admiring them - and I thought this is going to be terrible. Then the story picks up and the movie gets better from there.

The story involves a couple of characters and mysteries, but is never too complicated. After the initial jet ski scene, the main character actually turns out to be played quite charmingly by Alex Pettyfer. He's supported by his mentor/protector (solid as always: Timothy Olyphant). Glee's Dianna Agron plays Number Four's love interest. She comes across very natural, so that the love story that unfolds is actually engaging instead of vomit-inducing like that of that other movie with the whining Vampires and the shirtless Werewolves.

Of course, "I Am Number Four" is by no means a great movie. The CGI sucks in places and the make-up of the bad guys is just awful. Characters are stereotypical, things fall into place way too conveniently and one has the feeling that a good junk of the original novel has just been crammed together to (barely) fit into the running time of a popcorn movie.

However, I think we can all agree that it would be silly to actually expect a masterpiece, considering the movie's premise. For what it is, "I Am Number Four" is an entertaining little fantasy flick for teenagers and undemanding twenty-somethings. Add to that the fact that this movie is neither a sequel nor a remake, that it's not based on a comic book, a TV series, a computer game or toys, and it's enough to lift "I Am Number Four" heads and shoulders above its genre competitors.
131 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I am another Cliché
Filmaholic786 March 2011
This is not a bad film. It's just not that great. The story feels a bit weak and there are so many plot holes it takes away part of the enjoyment. I also found myself un interested in the characters, apart from the dog, but who doesn't love a cute dog? It just seemed to be cliché after cliché after cliché. I have to remind myself I didn't go to watch shawshank redemption 2 or a William Shakespeare film adaptation. Instead I watched 90 odd minutes of blah. Good special effects and action sequences plus the added bonus of eye candy were just enough to save it. Just.

If you go to see "I am number four" I suggest you leave your brain at home then sit back and enjoy the pretty lights and moving pictures. Don't expect much and you might actually enjoy it.
192 out of 289 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not so much a disappointment as it is deeply unsatisfying
DonFishies25 February 2011
In a perfect world, the convoluted mess called I Am Number Four could have been great. It had all the trappings for success: based off a semi-popular novel for teens, a fairly accomplished director in D.J. Caruso, the producing "talent" of Michael Bay, two hot young stars in Alex Pettyfer and Glee's own Dianna Agron, and an enigmatic, yet intriguing trailer campaign. So why is it that the final product is one of the most deeply unsatisfying theatrical experiences I have had in some time?

Opening with the death of "Number Three", we jump into the life of John (Pettyfer), an alien being protected on Earth from a group called the Mogadorians. As it turns out, the Mogadorians wiped out the population of John's planet years before, except for nine children with extraordinary powers. For some reason, they have to be killed in order, and with three down, John is next in line for extermination. As he goes on the run with his protector Henri (Timothy Olyphant), they settle into the small town of Paradise, Ohio. Soon after, John starts gaining and learning more about his powers. But with a new love (Agron) and his lust to just be normal thrown into the mix, John may be in more trouble than he can imagine.

I have never read the source material for I Am Number Four, but I would hazard a guess that it did a half decent job of explaining what is going on, and did not just strive to set future sequels in motion. The film on the other hand, suffers because the sequel seems to be the only thing in mind outside of special effects. We are thrown right into John's life, and we only get little nuggets of reason for what is going on at any given time. We never get full explanations, and are never even offered the ability to piece it together by ourselves. The film seems merely content giving us hints, offering little enigmatic moments to get us thinking. But instead of doing anything with these scenes, it merely continues trucking along to its eventual ending which promises a continuation and the hope for some further reasoning for what is happening. But if the filmmakers do not care about informing the audience now, why will we care later?

But this would not be such a slap in the face if we had not already seen so many films in the past half-decade doing the exact same thing, attempting to replicate the success of the Harry Potter, Twilight and The Lord of the Rings franchises. The Golden Compass, Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant, The Spiderwick Chronicles, and Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (which this film oddly resembles) are all examples of studios making films out of young adult books, specifically to capitalize on the potential for sequels and lengthy franchise possibilities. They all failed in varying degrees, because they all suffer from the same thing I Am Number Four suffers from – not enough plot, too much dependence on a sequel. Had all of these films even attempted to be able to stand on their own, perhaps they would have gotten the sequel they seemed to think they deserved. I know Four is part of a proposed book franchise, as opposed to an already established book franchise, but it merely skipped the waiting in the middle for the eventual film.

Should these plot and sequel problems not already be enough, Four suffers from copying Twilight a little too close (even including the notable musical cues from current alt-rockers). Sure, there are no vampires, but the romance between John and Agron's Sarah feels a little too forced for comfort. Right in the middle of being hunted down to be systematically wiped out, we are supposed to believe that someone who has spent their life running, would simply fall in love out of the blue, and not feel any consequences? We are supposed to believe he does not know better? Sure he's a teenager and we all did stupid things when we were that young, but why does the focus of the film seem to hinge on the chemistry and romance between these two star-crossed lovers? I was intrigued from the early moments in the film where it started to set the plot into motion, and the need for John and Henri to keep running to avoid death. But then it suddenly shifts from a science fiction tale to a romantic love story, and totally loses anything it has going for it. A last minute save in the final act of the film where it shifts back into the realm of sci-fi is not nearly enough to make up for well over an hour of melodrama and teen angst. It is awkward, silly, and practically plagiarizes Twilight.

I will say I was interested and intrigued when the film was attempting to do something with the plot and overarching story, but these moments are never given the chance to fully develop. The film criminally underuses Olyphant, the only actor who actually acts in the entire film, and makes him into an almost useless background character. We only get glimpses of Teresa Palmer's character throughout the film (the trailer already gives away any mystery of who she might be), and when she finally shows up to do something, she merely speaks in overtly sexual allusions. Pettyfer and Agron both seem to suffer from not knowing what emphasis to put on their character and when, and relative newcomer Callan McAuliffe is stuck in the cliché-ridden role as the know-it-all geek of a best friend.

When it attempts to work, I Am Number Four is quite interesting. I would have loved more story, and a whole lot less romance. Even what does work (including the decent special effects) seems to suffer as a result of all the melodramatic romance.

4/10.

(This review also appeared on http://www.geekspeakmagazine.com).
152 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smallville + a bigger budget + Twilight = I Am Number Four
TheMovieMark18 February 2011
Based on the NY Times best-selling novel by "Pittacus Lore" (an alias for the memoir-fabricating James Frey and Jobie Hughes), I Am Four kicks off the cinematic proceedings with an intense and creepy jungle chase scene and an intriguing - albeit fairly unoriginal - concept.

The planet Lorien (COUGH krypton COUGH) was destroyed, and nine of its alien children were sent to earth. Why earth? Who knows. Perhaps earth's atmosphere is the most similar to Lorien's? A race of 7-foot tall humanoids called the Mogadorians are hunting down the children one at a time. Why? Beats me. Because we wouldn't have a story otherwise, I suppose. All we're really told is "they're a race who chooses to decimate rather than colonize." So be it.

Anyway, due to some sort of spell the Mogadorians are forced to kill the nine remaining Lorien kids in the proper order. Who established the order and how? No idea. Wouldn't you be pretty ticked off if you were Number One and became aware that you were chosen to be killed first? Perhaps the numbering system is completely random. Otherwise, that's a pretty jacked up system. "Hmm, little Billy seems to be a little slow upstairs, and that lisp sure ain't doin' him any favors. Let's make him Number One." Regardless, numbers one to three are now dead, so the story focuses on Number Four.

Number Four's desperate attempts to fit in lead to yet another blown cover, and he and his guardian Henri must once again relocate - this time to the small town of Paradise, OH. Following the film's somewhat promising start, the story takes an ill-advised detour and bogs down in a teenage romance marsh. It's at this point that Number Four (AKA John Smith) falls in love, defends a nerd against bullies, and begins to discover his unique abilities (known as legacies).

This blatant drawing from the well of the Twilight series' formula might giddy up the hearts of teenage girls, but males with an ounce of testosterone will grow increasingly restless as they await the arrival of the action that the film's trailer promised.

That arrival comes in the film's third act in the form of a deus ex machina known as Number Six (Teresa Palmer) who proceeds to kick a satisfying amount of rumpage against the backdrop of CGI and special-effects. The last 20 minutes will most certainly entertain the majority of audiences, but the drive there should've been smoother and more evenly-paced.

Dialogue is weak, character development is practically non-existent, and the underdeveloped backstory creates too many questions that lead to frustration rather than intrigue. Granted, this is an origin story that's specifically designed to kick-start a franchise, but a little more self-containment would have been appreciated.

One of the film's biggest transgressions is the misuse of Timothy Olyphant as Henri. We're told that he's a Lorien warrior, and as such you'd expect him to join in the butt-kickery. Unfortunately, he's only involved in one fight and is inexplicably kidnapped (done off-screen to mask its implausibility) by a couple of out-of-shape alien conspiracy theorists. His role is more of a babysitter for Number Four than a warrior/guardian who dispenses valuable training and wisdom.

The film presents a seed or two of hope that the franchise can improve with each installment, but will its identity crisis allow it to do so? Attempting to be all things to all teenagers could backfire if it fails to create loyalty amongst any one demographic.

Teenage audiences and those who don't consume themselves with the story's many flaws will be more forgiving than I. Perhaps your expectations will be exceeded, but there's a good chance you'll be either underwhelmed or disappointed. Wouldn't you rather risk a dollar at Redbox than $10 a pop at the theater? Don't say I didn't properly inform you.
91 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exactly what I expected
dlo54019 February 2011
This movie isn't the best action film of the year. This movie isn't another tongue-in-cheek teen movie. Most importantly, this movie isn't a "wannabe" of the Twilight franchise. This movie is entertainment for all viewers that delivers a good story, action, and desire to want more at the end. I was lucky enough to work as an extra in this movie for about 2 weeks and was able to see how this film came together, piece by piece. The visual effects truly make the film enjoyable. Seeing it behind-the-scenes, I couldn't imagine what it would look like. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised.

The acting was believable and consistent (unlike previous reviews who claim the actors lost steam halfway thru the film). Timothy Olyphant is perhaps the best character in the film, Pettyfer following right after. The best part about this film: the love story within the plot WAS NOT painful/annoying to watch (such as Twilight).

This movie is definitely worth seeing in theaters, as the action scenes truly make the experience. I Am Number Four is a great start to what could be a fantastic franchise.
179 out of 289 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Updated Schlock
Budruss31 May 2011
If you liked the movie "The Covenant", which is about a teen coming into his super powers while falling in love with a brainy yet implausibly beautiful girl who spends most of the film standing agog at what he can do, then you probably will not like "I Am Number Four" for the simple reason that you are no longer a 13-year-old girl and this movie is almost a direct remake.

The film starts out demonstrating how cool the main character is by showing him doing various tricks on a jet-ski while maintaining perfect hair. I half expected one of his friends to shout "Radical!", but then I remembered that this was not made in the mid 1980s. From there it pretty much degenerates into a checklist of crappy movie clichés: Brooding teen trying to fit in even though his power causes him to be different? Check. Generic bullies not realizing who they're messing with and getting their comeuppance? Check. Bad guys using girl to get to main character? Yup. Love for the girl giving the hero new strength to continue even though all looks hopeless? Double check.

If you're looking for a movie you can turn off your brain and enjoy then I recommend renting one of the Xmen movies. If you are a girl who has just entered her teens and is tired of movies about whiny vampires, then you might enjoy this. But don't expect to remember it a week later.
25 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Weekend Movie
Adam Barton19 February 2011
A great movie will leave you yearning for a sequel, and I Am Number Four certainly does.

First off, the visuals were astounding. This really goes without saying, but the final battle in the movie was incredible.

Another sign of a great movie, my friends and I truly liked the characters. We actually cared about what happened to them (something that I can't say about other book-to-movie Harry-Potter-wannabes.) Even number Six, a bad-ass female with Nightcrawler-like power was lovable!

Finally, the storyline was engaging and easy to understand. Yes, there were some unexplained portions, but this is only the first movie in a series. I understood it just fine without having read the book, and there was no point in the movie where I felt that things were moving too slowly (nor to quickly, for that matter.)

I would urge you not to take any of the negative reviews written by middle-aged men to heart - spend the 10 bucks and give this movie a chance. I promise you that you'll end up enjoying it!
188 out of 325 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I am Number Four is an absolute bore. An excruciatingly awful film.
jamiemarks-12 March 2011
My god! Words cannot reiterate how terrible this movie is. I didn't go with high expectations. I didn't expect Oscar winning performances or a witty and sharp script etc. I thought if I could give it a five or a six out of ten at most I would be satisfied with some great action, good special effects and reasonable acting, but it didn't even have that. Seriously the reviewers who have given this higher than a four have seriously deluded themselves. I'm not a teenager, which this film is aiming for (but even then it's so badly made even they shouldn't like this).

Before I critique this film. A brief synopsis from what I can gather. Teenager John Smith (Alex Pettyfer from Storm Breakers) who is an alien from another planet Lorien is a fugitive on the run from his enemies the Mogadarians who have been sent to destroy him after killing three other kids before him with the same abilities. Changing his identity, moving from town to town with his guardian Henri (Timothy Olyphant), John is always the new kid with no ties to his past. In the small Ohio town he now calls home, John encounters unexpected, life-changing events-his first love Sarah (Dianna Agron), powerful new abilities and a connection to the others like number six (Teresa Palmer) who shares his destiny.

The first problem of this film is the screenplay which is a horrific mess. The synopsis I had to cobble together from a family friend who is a fan of the books (but wasn't of the film). It is very loosely explained during the movie at different points with huge plot holes. If these Mogadarians want to destroy earth, why don't they straight away? Why kill these teenagers who are a part of the legacy? How were the legacies and Mogadarians created? Why do the Mogadarians want to destroy earth? I think I heard something about "resources," but what? Maybe this is explained in the book or subsequent ones, I don't know, but for someone who hasn't read them, things should have been explained and more clearly, it's no excuse. Also when John saves Sarah from her ex-boyfriend and his friends pestering her at the fair, she sees him using his powers (his hands light up) to deal with the guys, but she dosen't say anything??? What the heck? Then later she suddenly "finds" out? This sort of thing just reeks serious laziness on the hand of the writers, either that or during that scene Sarah went temporarily blind. I could go on with several other plot holes, but you get the point. The structure of the film is terribly put together with certain scenes just feeling so random, without them being linked together. Maybe the fact the film just suddenly decides to introduce new information in a convenient "way" like those weird creatures who guard the legacies (including a dog that turns into the creature) and the others for the Mogodarian's or whatever. And while we're on the subject of the Mogodarian's as villains they are ridiculously laughable and not scary in the slightest.

All the characters are bland with little back story like we find out literally nothing about John's past or his parents. With that you just don't care about them as they are little more than cardboard cut-outs. Particularly when Henri dies, in one scene with "sad" music. We're meant to care but the characters are so shallow and boring we just don't care and the whole pathetic scene just comes across as sickeningly insincere. Of course the characters being boring also comes down to terrible performances. Alex Pettyfer is just unbearably plain and looks and acts bored. He hasn't got the slightest trace of acting ability (just like in Stormbreakers). None of the cast fare any better. They are all unconvincing and give some of the worst performances I've seen in films, even Teresa Palmer who I adored in The Sorcerer's Apprentice could not save this. She looks great but barely gets enough screen time to make an impact with little dialogue. I couldn't judge her acting as such though her voice when I heard it sounded like she was trying to be sexy with a sore throat. The trollop scriptwriter who put in the embarrassingly awful and very cheesy NOT funny script that she should speak like that needs a slap.

I am Number Four tries to come across as a romantic sci-fi action, but it has little action (for teen boys), only about ten minutes and even when there was, the camera jerked up and down with a shocking lack of continuity I felt dizzy and couldn't make out what was going on so as a result there is no excitement you feel in "watching" the action. (Michael Bay who was the producer of this and still hasn't learnt from Transformers 2) and little romance (for teen girls). With little romance or action, the film just pointlessly meanders itself sluggishly from scene to scene. In terms of the "romance" there is no chemistry between John and Sarah and even the special effects are very poor and look too obvious. The film is way too predictable with stereotypes across the board which you will notice straight away making it unimaginative and repetitive like the rest of the film.

I paid £6.20 to see this abomination, I wish I hadn't. This is the first turkey of the year I've awarded for a film (suppose it was only a matter of time). This is just complete rubbish and I would not advise anyone to see this travesty. There will be sequels unfortunately but I certainly won't be signing up to see it. I would rather throw up thanks then put myself through seeing another one of these. Trust me I am Number Four is that crap. I would seriously advise you to skip it. It is one of the worst films I have ever encountered.
86 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Show
utchaz20 February 2011
I was thinking this would be filler for a dull afternoon. Indeed it was but I was also surprised to find I really enjoyed it. We also had the pleasure of watching it on iMax so that makes just about anything a little better. If you want to enjoy the evening then go see this one. You'll see some good acting and decent new actors. Give it a chance and I think this might be the next good "series" of movies you'll like. I say series because they left this one wide open to find numbers 5, and 7-9. I can easily see a whole trilogy or more just waiting for this one to make enough money to get it going. Although without some decent advertising they aren't going to get that... :(
78 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Twilight + Plot of Johnny Mnemonic + Cast of Twilight + Good special effects + SLIGHTLY better acting than Twilight= I Am Number Four
I saw an advance screening of the flick tonight. The only reason I went and saw it was because my buddy had a free screening pass for 2, and it's a free screening. I remember reading the book and not being very impressed, however I can't say I can pinpoint exactly what's been left out since I had forgotten most of it. Not sure if I even care now that I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

Caruso tries a lot to hide the book's flaws, and he really does try hard. But somehow he only makes them more obvious. I'll admit there was tonnes of action and good special effects, but really, when the story wasn't stealing from other sci-fi (Animorphs, Johnny Mnemonic, Superman- there's even an insulting John Carpenter's The Thing nod too), it was overloading the audience's brain with Clichés that can be found in almost any teen movie... ever. And some gigantic plot holes you could drive a tanker through.

The action scenes I nearly left the cinema they were so bad. It's like Caruso told the camera crew to zoom in really close while holding the camera and shake it all about, shine flashlights in the camera lens, and move it violently when some gets punched. Shaky Camera and quick cutting must die, I'm tired of it.

The soundtrack was so bombastic and over the top. At times it sounds like the boom mic is being banged against the inside of a 50 gallon drum. At others it's like they're attacking their strings as fast as they can really fast. The film's opening score piece over the panning shot is especially insulting- it doesn't help that it lasts a minute long and the cue's buildup is hilarious.

I know the movie is based on a book, but with even that said, there is a tonne of clichés. Hot chick who loves photography? Check. New kid is instantly buds with the nerd? Check. Douchebag jock who loves the hot chick? Check. Kid finds out he has powers he can't control? Check. evil villain are following kid and guardian? Check. Kid's guardian dies and he must do the mission without him? Check.

There's also an annoying homo-erotic undercurrent between Sam and "John". Also, don't get me started on the Thirty-Sue pileup that is Number 6.

For every cliché, there's a gigantic plot hole. Why isn't the grocery clerk suspicious of an alien with a hoodie and sunglasses buying a crap load of turkeys? How is "John" unable to control his powers in class yet able to control them perfectly in his backyard a matter of hours later? Why do the Mogadorian(!!!!) speak with Jamaican accents? How is the dog able to become all super-dog all of a sudden? Why are Lorien so perfectly humanoid with a true lack of alien qualities? And how do Lorien copulate? Yeah, let's not go there, because the last thing this film needs is a Lorien sex scene.
69 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Boring besides the last 20 minutes...
prateak gauchan9 May 2011
Of course, "I Am Number Four" is by no means a great movie. Characters are stereotypical, things fall into place way too conveniently and one has the feeling that a good junk of the original novel has just been crammed together to (barely) fit into the running time of 90 minutes. The story feels a bit weak and there are so many plot holes it takes away part of the enjoyment like if the nine aliens are so powerful, why can't they stop those Mogadorians? Is it because they have a huge flying squirrel like monster? Oh wait. Number Four also have one of those. Is it their appearance? Or is it unexplained? I've never read this book before. Lack of narratives? They never mentioned why kill them in sequence. But however, This is not a bad film. It's just not that great. Among the good points, the visuals were astounding. The final battle in the movie is something that save the movie from being a huge disappointed. The last 20 minutes will most certainly entertain the majority of audiences. And also the villains are pretty cool. There gigantic, bald, covered in tattoos with gills and sharp teeth, carry some pretty cool weapons, and have 2 gigantic beasts as pets.

The main problem is the movie is totally clichéd. I mean how many times are we going to see the exact same story. I mean this was your typical teen drama….new kid..shady past… weird and wants to stay to himself, but there's always some cute chick who he risks everything for. There's always bullies who hate that he's got the attention of the cute chick, so they always end up having a conflict. I mean 90% of this movie was your typical high school drama teen movie. And the "discovering" of his powers was like the alien version of spiderman. I will say I was interested and intrigued when the film was attempting to do something with the plot and overarching story, but these moments are never given the chance to fully develop.

This Twilight series' formula might cheer up the hearts of teenage girls, but males with an ounce of testosterone will grow increasingly restless as they await the arrival of the action that the film's trailer promised. I was intrigued from the early moments in the film where it started to set the plot into motion, and the need for John and Henri to keep running to avoid death. But then it suddenly shifts from a science fiction tale to a romantic love story, and totally loses anything it has going for it. A last minute save in the final act of the film where it shifts back into the realm of sci-fi in the form of a machina known as Number Six (Teresa Palmer) who proceeds to kick a satisfying amount of rampage against the backdrop of CGI and special-effects, is not nearly enough to make up for well over an hour of melodrama and teen angst.

Acting wise, Alex Pettyfer is just plain with no expression but of course teenage girls will love him for his looks and physique. Dianna Agron is pretty and acts fine. Teresa Palmer who I adored in The Sorcerer's Apprentice looks great but barely gets enough screen time to make an impact with little dialogue. Kevin Durand as the Mogadorian Commander is good in his evil act. But one of the film's biggest disappointed is the misuse of Timothy Olyphant as Henri. The film criminally under-uses Olyphant, the only actor who actually acts in the entire film, and makes him into an almost useless background character. We're told that he's a Lorien warrior, and as such you'd expect him to join in the butt- kickery. Unfortunately, he's only involved in one fight and is inexplicably kidnapped. His role is more of a babysitter for Number Four than a warrior/guardian who dispenses valuable training and wisdom. And then there's the relative newcomer Callan McAuliffe stuck in the cliché- ridden role as the know-it-all geek of a best friend though he's fine in whatever he has.

All this said, though this movie isn't the best action film of the year, its still worth a watch for the CGI and the last act of the movie. This is the first installment of the probable trilogy or more. So let's just hope they do it right in the sequels. I rate it 5.5 out out 10.
41 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good lord...this movie sucks.
sbhulu4 July 2011
Seriously...I can't believe anybody (except maybe a dumb 10 yr old boy) to think this was a good movie. Everyone else is probably embarrassed by this movie even existing. If this is what the author wrote and published then the published world deserves to fail. this movie is that bad.

Forget the flat unrealistic unclever dialog (honestly how many time does the word freak appear the screen play - must be at least a 100.) Forget the stupidity of the plot, forget the bad special effects, forget the ridiculous premise that has been repeated ad nausea. Forget even that every five minutes is just a musical montage of emotion too intense for words and only music to express their complexity. Who ever wrote this must have been a 10 yr old boy whose total world experience must be watching reruns of 90210 and the CW channel. Oh and his parent probably live in an all white neighbor hood and home schooled the moron. What I'm hinting at is Adolf Hitler would have no problems with this movie. Hint? Hint? In fact, This is a movie I would have expected to be made in the early nineties - ON TV: A typical high school where even the black guy looks like a blonde white super model - no wait that is a blonde white supermodel just 'urban'ly dressed - where they all love to party, go water skiing, and hang out in the woods and drink beer. What is this - American graffiti 2000? The main guy is of course is a shy troubled (always troubled!) intensely private young man guarding a secret that he is an alien with super powers. And of course he has a parental guardian warrior of sorts he is rebelling against when he goes thru his own form of puberty and urges trying to control it all. There's of course a pretty girl. There's a bully who is so unrealistic that the geeks would probably make fun of him.

By now you should be groaning. Sorry. I'll stop.

In the words of Roger Ebert: "This movie sucks." In toto.

There is not one redeeming feature of this movie. I can only imagine that the positive reviews on here are actually the studios own hired goons writing up fake positive reviews.

In short: do not see this movie.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Twilight with aliens
Zahra Jasmin27 February 2011
I'll be honest here. I Am Number Four is a yawn. And when I'm not counting minutes till it's over, I'm snickering at the amazingly cheesy lines. Seriously, I haven't watched a movie with lamer lines since the Twilight series.

Which was a shame, really, since I was so anticipating this movie because a) Alex Pettyfer was so cute in Stormbreaker and I'd like to see more of him, b) I love Diana Agron, and c) I love a good teen drama/superpower movie. But IANF was such a disappointment in the way that there's nothing believable about the movie AT ALL.

So the Mogadorians want to kill the 9 surviving Lorien kids with superpowers (called Legacies). Why? It's not really clear. Ethnic cleansing perhaps? One of the characters explained how the 'Mogs' don't colonize, but decimate instead. So why go to all the trouble of searching for the 9 scattered in all corners of the world? Why not wipe out Earth and be done with it anyway since they live to destroy anyway, right? It didn't help that right when Number Four's number is up (pun intended), he decides he wants to be 'normal' and 'go to school'. And the overprotective guardian said yes. Sure, what's a murderous predator compared to listening to your teenage ward's whining 24/7 right? And what's with Number Four's propensity to constantly ignore (sound, life-saving) advice anyway? Is he trying to get killed? Or is it that it's more interesting to have a character that breaks all the rules since the main character never dies, anyway right?

All in all, I'd say the movie's a flop. The characters are either annoying, unmemorable or carbon cutouts of every other movie. The appearance of Number Six makes it slightly more interesting but in the end she's just a blonde version of Megan Fox. The script was painfully shallow and the story's just...meh.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Earth Based SCI FI
dinocaz1 March 2015
Read some of the reviews on here so was unsure what to make of this. But loved the movie and was surprised how well it rolled. The special effects were superb as were the action scenes. Not sure why some slammed this movie but I have no problem giving this a 9. If your looking for a good weekend movie slouching on the couch eating pizza then this is the business!

If your a sci fan such as myself then this is a watchable movie very watchable. I was worried that the relationship between the main character and the photographer would run away with itself and overtake the plot as is seen is so many decent movies ruined by pointless teen relationships. But I Am Number 4 did not let this happen and it glued with the plot really well. The fight scenes were well scripted and did not go on for too long. Get the popcorn out sit back and enjoy this scifi flick I don't think you will be disappointed.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved it. Great action & special effects.
jandl-talk10 February 2011
We loved I AM NUMBER FOUR. The storyline was good. Good love interest teen romance. Number Six is totally smoking sexy hot. Good strong female characters. The cast, acting, & special effects reminded me of Disney's Race to Witch Mountain which we also enjoyed.

Only Complaints Spoiler Alert: There is a missing scene at the end when a character you thought was dead suddenly appeared alive without any explanation. They leave it open for a sequel which we would love to see. What's up with the jock? is he alive, dead, converted to an evil zombie for the sequel? The director didn't show why the jock had a life transformation and is now nice. That is our only complaint.
75 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great action flick!
anthonyly515 February 2011
I was lucky and saw an advanced screening on this film and I was half disappointed and half impressed. First of all, I read the book and I just thought that they left out a lot of detail from the book, some big ones too. But, the visuals and action is what kept me on my seat. The story, I thought they did a decent job with, but if they sticked with parts of the story in the book, it would have been a better film. They could have made the movie longer and added some other details from the book. I mean, in the book, Henri and John can open the chest he hides together. They open it in the book, and Henri lays John down on the table and pulls out a rock like crystal from the chest and it appears as their planet, Lorien, and with that, Henri shows what happened on their planet the day it was invaded by the Mogadoriens, visually. They could have put that part in the movie, I thought it was a somewhat big part. But overall, a decent flick if you have nothing else to do or see. Check it out, I Am Number Four!
48 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I echo the sentiment of many
cudaseeker-129 May 2011
Watched the movie "I am number four" tonight. The first 40 minutes it felt like I was watching a re-hashed "Twilight" movie rather than a sci-fi/horror pic. But then it got good. It was well worth the watch if you can make it through that first half of beaten to death formula high school angst movies that Twilight has seemed to spawn. You can bet that there will be sequels too, but they may be straight to video. The first half of the movie I give it 1 star, but it was the fault of the story, not the acting. The second half, I give it 8 stars. The acting was good, there were very nice special effects and some pretty cool alien bad guys in the style of "Pinhead."
28 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty decent film for a pulp novel
david-sarkies7 December 2012
This is quite a strange movie and I could not determine whether it was a horror, a sci-fi, or a thriller. IMDb describes it as an Action/Sci-Fi/Thriller, though I would have to add elements of horror into this film. The horror elements is that the film is set in a small American town (though it is noticeable that main street has not yet been destroyed by Walmart) name Paradise (horror films always seem to be set in places with pleasant sounding names), the scene is generally dark and dreary, and the main characters are up against an mysterious force that is substantially more powerful than they are. Actually, a lot of films with the sci-fi moniker tend to actually be horror movies, and the only reason that they are sci-fi is because they involve aliens or futuristic scenes or technology. I am now thinking that sci-fi is not actually a genre in itself, but rather a thematic setting, since most sci-fi films will fall into action, horror, thriller, romance, and I will throw in fantasy as that is probably a genre in itself (though it is probably better classified as epic).

This film is about a teenager (obviously so that it will appeal to a younger audience) who turns out to be from another planet. His planet was destroyed by a race known as the Mogadorians however he and a few others managed to escape from their planet and are hiding on Earth. The catch is that the Mogadorians have found their hiding place and have traveled to Earth to locate them. They have already killed three of them, and now they are after him.

What we also learn of the hero (whose name is John Smith as he is trying to hide) is that he is of a special breed from his planet and as he grows older he develops extraordinary powers. We don't know if the powers are standardised or unique to each individual, though when we meet number six we suspect that it is the later. The other interesting aspect of this film is the nature of modern technology. While John Smith is attempting to hide and remain hidden, with the internet he is finding this very difficult. Further he has the urges of your average teenager to go to school and to socialise. However it is difficult to remain hidden in an American Highschool as if you are a jock, then you will be noticed, and if you shun the jock culture, then you attract attention to yourself.

I guess another aspect of this film is about fitting in. In a way John wants to have a normal life, even if it involves not fitting in. We notice that he is the all American handsome hero, though he rejects that culture and befriends the school geek (and it turns out there is some connection between the school geek and his people) and the girl that has been turned into an outcast (and we also learn why she becomes an outcast). However, while at the beginning this film is about the new kid fitting in, it becomes clear that he goes from being the outcast (chased by the police as he is strange and different) to being the saviour. It should be remembered, even though it is not explicitly stated, that once the Mogadorians (whose appearance are quite monstrous in itself) have finished with their prey, they will turn onto the people of Earth, and without these protectors, they will not have a chance. Once again it shows that desire of the developed world to have a saviour that can stand up to the threats the we face on a daily basis. Unfortunately, unless one includes Jesus Christ in the fold (and Christ is not a superman in that sense of the word – he came and died so that we might be reconciled to the father, not to step up and defeat every evil force that comes our way, especially since evil in itself is quite subjective).
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How to ruin a good idea.
Chiyonosake2320 August 2011
This movie actually has an interesting story, a not entirely, but at least partly original idea. It should be a good movie about aliens hunting down other aliens on earthly settings. Well its not a good movie AT ALL. Oh boy is this one baaad...., this made me really angry... First of all, the main character is a totally unlikable little sissy boy. The actor has no talent at all he has like three facial expression: the "I am messed up"-look, the "I am angry"-look and don't forget the "awww I am totally like a cute puppy, are you girls feeling hawt already?"-look and that's about it. Not just the actor, but the character is unlikable too. He is supposed to be a survivor, a teen from another planet, who is super-duper strong and one of the last of his kind. And does he have a sense of nobleness or class? No. Does he have a sense of danger or urgency? No. When it is established that the same race, which destroyed his home, is out to kill him, does he listen to his mentor's advice and stays home? OF COURSE NOT. He keeps whining, that he needs to blend in and stuff. When an entire group of outer-space assassins are out to kill you, and they already killed almost every single one of your race, don't you have more pressing matters, than go to school and try to be the "kool" jet-sky flipping kid?.... For example, like... I don't know...Planning to escape the situation? Train yourself for battle? Plan a revenge? Oh come on, that's not so interesting for teenage girls......They want to see the UFO go to high school and jet-sky, because he is so hawt......So he shall do that...Its pretty bad when the only thing you can think of to do with your main character is blatant fangirl-service. Go ahead little fangirls get offended and rate me down for this, but this is PATHETIC. Oh and if you want to make another crappy "nerds and jocks and love in high school with odd girl and hawt boy" its okay, fine by me, BUT don't LIE to me with a trailer like this movie had. The trailer promised an action packed sci-fi movie and 40 minutes into the film I had to listen to god awful dialoge about odd-girls photographing habits and even more awful scenes with odd-girls parents having little family dinners with UFO pretty boy...What the....??? I am sick and tired of these holly-jolly pink teenage love stories, please don't try to force them down on my throat when I am promised to see a movie about aliens fighting for their lives. I could go on about how unimaginative all the aliens (good and bad alike) were, or how this movie had the most awkward dialogue I heard in years, or how stupid it is that after UFO boys little light-show on the beach or in the class-room nobody really cared. In reality after a show like that on a beach at night during a party, well it would draw much more attention and it would be in the news for days... But why talk about these things, this movie flat out lied about its intentions and it is sad and pathetic.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tedious and lacking of any emotion
Argemaluco16 March 2011
I have complained many times about the films which pretend to capture the same childish spirit from Harry Potter. However, the flood of Harry Potter imitators seems to have diminished in recent months. The reason? The success of the Twilight saga provoked a "change of direction" from the Hollywood executives, and instead of exploring variations of "magic boys save the world", they are now desperately searching for new instances of "forbidden romances between teenagers with supernatural powers". For better or for worse, I Am Number Four belongs to this nascent sub-genus, and I found it to be boring and lacking of any emotion and originality.

I Am Number Four covers a well-known ground from the fantastic cinema as well as from the juvenile romance one. And I am not precisely against of that; director D.J. Caruso previously made two unoriginal but dynamic and entertaining movies (Disturbia and Eagle Eye), something which gave me hopes of finding some redeemable elements in I Am Number Four. Unfortunately, very few things worked in this movie (at least in my personal experience), because I could never get interested in the characters or in their forced romance, and much less in the horribly trite sci-fi concepts with which it pretends to adorn its tiring narrative.

To start with...Mogadorians? Was that the best name which came to mind to author Pittacus Lore (in fact a pseudonym of Jobie Hughes and James Frey) for the villains of the book on which this movie was based? Sure, the name by itself does not have too much importance, but it is a good example of the creativity level from the whole film. The heroes are handsome young people who look like models; the villains are bald and pale, with piranha teeth, and they suffer from the "talkative villain syndrome", revealing their plans or talking more than they should when they could easily exterminate the heroes.

One of the few things I liked in I Am Number Four is Teresa Palmer's energetic performance. In fact, I think the film would have been much more entertaining with her in the leading role, instead of the insipid couple of Alex Pettyfer and Dianna Agron. However, I cannot recommend this film, because I found it to be bland, repetitive and tedious.
47 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Caruso The Generic
TourettesPersonal23 February 2011
Let's try to go back to 2008. We got "Eagle Eye", It's a mixture of various sci-fi flicks. Now we have "I Am Number Four". Yeah it's based on a book, but everything you see is familiar. I just noticed most of Caruso's sci-fi movies have clichéd ideas. Is it the writer's fault? Some of the dialog is also generic. The special effects looks so homemade(look at the lasers). The actors have murmur problem. "I Am Number Four" is underrated in a bad way.

If the nine aliens are so powerful, why can't they stop those Mogadorians? Is it because they have a huge flying squirrel like monster? Oh wait. Number Four also have one of those. Is it their appearance? Or is it unexplained? I've never read this book before. Lack of narratives? They never mentioned why kill them in sequence.

The action scenes? Well D.J. Caruso is good at one of those, but here it's messed up. The special effects is so inferior it felt like they used Adobe After Effect(except those giant monsters but still looks cheap). The effects ruined the action of this film. Clashing unreal things and look at those colors. The lasers.

The performances? Alex Pettyfer thinks he's cool but he's obviously not. Teresa Palmer is hot but she only kicks ass in the third act. Timothy Olyphant was disappointing. A pro actor playing a boring guardian.

Overall "I Am Number Four" is as lifeless as "Twilight"(sequels). Or more lifeless I guess. The action scenes could have been better. The characters thinks they're cool and awesome. They are dull actually. The rest is cliché. Generic. Etc. Is it worth watching? No. How about skipping the first and second act. The third act is the only entertaining part of the movie. But I'm warning you. It's an easy generic forgettable film.
34 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
patrickmbrame2 March 2011
An entertaining, visually fun film that misses out on the most important parts of a movie: the story and it's characters. I Am Number Four tells the story of the last remaining aliens from an extinct planet that are being hunted down and killed by the aliens that exterminated it. There are 9 teenage special aliens left and these are the ones that the bad aliens are after. These special aliens also have a guardian who was a warrior on their alien planet whose sole duty is to protect them. Oh, and these special aliens have abilities that range from moving object with their minds, super-human strength, invisibility, etc. Got all that. Because that alone make me have all kinds of questions that never get answered. The film follows, if you can guess, the Number Four alien, played by Alex Pettyfer, and his guardian, played by Timothy Olyphant.

We are told that the first three aliens have already been killed and that Four is on the run with his guardian to Paradise, Ohio. There, he predictably gets tired of being told to hide in their house, so he starts to attend the high school, where he befriends the local nerd, falls in love with the star quarterback's ex-girlfriend, and of course fights with the star quarterback and the other jocks, meanwhile he starts to gain his abilities and strengths. All the while this is happening the bad aliens are closing in on them as well as a mysterious blonde girl. This all occurs over about an hour and fifteen minutes which really is a shame, because the last 30 minutes when the bad aliens and Four fight is extremely fun and entertaining. It's one of the better action scenes I've seen in a while, the big problem being it takes way too long for it to reach the screen.

There are many problems with the story, but mainly they just leave way too many questions unanswered, and this is mainly because the whole film is set up for a franchise with multiple films. This is also what happens when you adapt a novel into a film, there's always going to be aspects left out, but you have to choose what's essential to the story and not, and the writers chose the wrong things. The cast really isn't anything to talk about, they just look good on screen but are essentially television actors, but it's not totally their fault they're working with that caliber of a script.

Some of the good things about the film come mainly from D.J. Caruso. He knows what he's doing when it comes to teenage action movies. This isn't as good as Disturbia (whose success is mainly due to Shia LaBeouf), but he does what he can with the script and the action scenes are where he shines and pulls you out of the coma you've fallen in to. It was also kind of cool to see an action/science fiction film based around the high school scenario even though they missed the mark where others have succeeded, like The Faculty. Lastly, the villains are pretty cool. There gigantic, bald, covered in tattoos with gills and sharp teeth, carry some pretty cool weapons, and have 2 gigantic beasts as pets.

Overall, its not worth the $8 or more you'll have to spend to see it. If you want to sneak in for the last 30 minutes I would highly recommend that or just wait until Blu-Ray/DVD. If you've seen the show Smallville and Jumper it's essentially those 2 put together with a sprinkle of the Twilight movies. Caruso does his best with some very cool and entertaining action scenes but the script is just too bare and full of holes for him to save it. The same goes with the cast, even if they were all very talented actors I'm still not sure it would be a worthwhile movie. With all that being said I would probably go see the sequels because of the last action scene and just to see if some of my questions are answered or just save some money and read the books...
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply Horrendous
akademikjeanius17 February 2011
dainefan took the words right out of my mouth. If you would pay a film admission price to watch two hours of predictable, cliché, and poorly acted supernatural teen soap drama, you may enjoy this movie. I watch movies of all genres several times a week and enjoy the vast majority. I Am Number Four is one of the very few films that I've very nearly walked out on (before it was even halfway over).

Honestly, I was intrigued by the premise. Sci-fi and fantasy are two of my favourite genres. But in the back of my mind, I sensed I might be disappointed with this one, so I went in with low expectations. I came out embarrassed to have willfully endured such an atrocity.

In retrospect, I sincerely wish I had walked out. The only good thing that came of seeing this film is that now I can warn others to stay away from it.

If you have a craving for supernatural action-drama, turn on your TV or visit a streaming TV site and choose any show in that genre at random; I have no doubt you will find something equally "good", but more likely far better than this, for a bargain.
26 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this