IMDb > House of Last Things (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

An unbiased review

Author: abbykern
29 June 2014

Clearly most of the people who wrote reviews are friends or family of the director. The flowery language alone is an obvious tell. A few people reviewed it very harshly as a response to the over the top praise. I'll do neither.

This movie has several interesting ideas, some lovely visuals, uneven acting, a mildly incoherent plot and low to middling production values. The best shots are in the first 2 minutes and the last several minutes. The use of classical music makes sense for the plot but at times the stature of the music just underscores the generic quality of most of the filming. It doesn't have the lush beauty required to sell this story.

It wants to be the Shining, the Omen, Blue Velvet or Don't Look Now. It's not. At minimum it would need 10 times the budget to look that good. I believe the director could do more if he had more to work with but the reviews comparing the movie to those things as if they are on the same footing are deeply dishonest. It aspires to those heights and can't begin to reach them. That said, for an unknown horror flick it's pretty good. You get the feeling the director could remake it with real money and a tighter script and knock it out of the park.

Take a turn, and follow the twists till you are rewarded with your own interpretations.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
25 May 2014

House of Last Things or The Last House (which really made no sense, and now makes little more) is a twisted thriller/horror/cracked-reality like The Shining from Stephen King with very broad strokes taken to deliver a visual effect sometimes working it's way into your subconscious in the back ground long before you even notice that it was always messing with you. The truth is what is fighting to get free, and the other truths that are forced up trying to get to the source are all equally vague until they are not anymore. I have to add the balloon had to have been stuck in the tree, and Adam was climbing up to get it, not just hiding. I believe that the house was trying to get that across as well taking some of the blame, and giving some to the tree. They do touch on the House having memories that it is trying to work through. The basics of the opening act are really just slow, and fulfilling dropping you in to the second act not liking the boyfriend, completely suspicious of the Brother, and uncertain why this girl is permitting these sorts of behaviors. So I was surprised when during that second act I found that I was Enjoying the twists back, and forth from Italy, and the strange Wacky Wednesday kind of stuff that is messing with everyone. There is a lot of energy tying the owners of the house to the sitters. If you like mixed up, twisted magical movies that are trying to keep you off guard all the time, and you know you be rewarded for taking the ride; then this is one I recommend you sit back, and soak in.

Jesse of www.Jesse.ca

Discovery of Gerardmer Fantastic Film Festival 2013!

Author: d-curry13 from France
11 February 2013

The House of Last Things was for my feeling the superior cinema of the Gerardmer Fantastic Film Festival 2013! I know from other audience people that I am not singular with this evaluation. As I think back on the many films showing, it is this image of this dreamy film that I am always returning to in my memory. It is a bizarre and beautiful story that captures the truthful essence of what I believe fantastic cinema should be. The acting was very convincing and it was extra special to see the boy from the TV show Breaking Bad in his first movie. I hope it plays in many festivals and I want to find the DVD when it is released to the public audience. Thank you to the Gerardmer festival for this surprise!

An Embarrassment

Author: theshape31 from Planet Earth
12 May 2014

All the reviews must have been made by people involved with the movie, because this thing is awful. The writing, directing, acting... it's all quite bad. This might be acceptable for a student film, but it's not at all worth viewing for the general public.

Please don't waste your time on the complete embarrassment.

And shame on the filmmakers (and/or their families/friends) for posting those fake reviews. This has become an all-too-common trend here on this site, and it's despicable.

From the opening shots, we see that what's on-screen is unintentionally laughable... and not in a good way. It's so bad it's bad. I felt embarrassed for the people involved while I tried to stomach as many minutes of this drivel as I could.

Stay away.

sad reviews

Author: hortonstrip from United Kingdom
16 December 2014

Not sure how i came across this particular film, whether it was recommended by a friend or found on an IMDb list, but I would like to point out that i am NOT a friend or family member of the film maker, and just spent nearly two hours watching a great film, quite by chance.

Then i came here and read all these terrible reviews, probably from people that think that Die Hard is the pinnacle of intelligent film making. Calling it Lynchian would be unfair to the film maker - only David Lynch is allowed to be Lynchian, anyone else getting that description is usually a pile of crap! Having said that there were definite Lynch moments, although more often than not it reminded me very much of Luis Buñuel more than anyone.

The main thing i found interesting about this was the editing and the way it wafted in between characters / scenarios / continents with the help of a little light classical. These tricks have occasionally been done before, but like i said, not so much since the days of surrealism. They were certainly refreshing for a modern flick, and were effective and occasionally disturbing.

To all the people who talked this interesting film down - there is more than one way to tell a story, it doesn't always have to be literal, and i guess that you're perhaps too stupid to appreciate something more impressionistic? Good luck with the next intallment of Harry Potter.

And thanks to the film maker, can't wait for your next one, or the one after - am fairly sure you have at least one masterpiece in you, maybe more.

Surprenant Cinema!

Author: maroneb
7 February 2013

My eyes watched this special film in the Gerardmer Film Festival with no seats empty! I was happy for the festival to include one film that is very fantastical but not stupid with the normal zombie and vampire cult issues of blood everywhere which is today too much in the cinemas. It was probably not expensive to make than the other big Hollywood films in competition, but it has a mood of richness and was a new vision of this genre and the acting was very superior too. I could appreciate that the director is very learned of the history of great fantastical films like from Cocteau and even Hitchcock and David Lynch. If you like these directors I am sure you will enjoy this little masterpiece as I did!

not what I expected but good

Author: jack meisner from United States
13 May 2014

What makes a good genre film for me is if the director and writer, in this case one and the same, can immerse me believably into a world I haven't walked before, enough in fact for me to turn off my cell phone. This movie is very seductive in that it doesn't play out within the tired cliché of a creepy old house and keeps you guessing throughout, building something like a narrative maze not unlike the famous Kubrick garden maze in The Shining. However, I don't think it's really fair or correct to compare this director with his obvious linage, Hitchcock, Lynch, DePalma, etc. as mentioned by so many other reviewers. This is a director with a mind of his own, quite willing to go his own way inside a genre that has been sabotaged over the years by too many under-schooled directors flooding the screen with blood and gore indiscriminately. This one surprised me. Much better than I expected.

Amazing indie gem!

Author: barnebyhoskins from nyc
7 March 2013

Did I like it? You bet! Did I expect to like it? Absolutely not. This cool indie isn't at all what it seems. Michael Bartlett's "House of Last Things" presents a wholly original spin on fantastic cinema. All the copycat and predictable clichés of gore and yuk have been thrown our in favor of a more cerebral and emotionally dramatic approach, and very performance driven. No doubt all this will alienate splatter fans looking for their nightly transfusion. But it really shouldn't. (All that fast food will catch up with you someday.) Blake Berris is terrific in a role that seems written for him, that's how good he is. But it only works because the rest of the cast are believable too, especially Lindsey Haun who I hadn't really seen all grown up since "Village of the Damned", and RJ Mitte, who in a departure from "Breaking Bad", debuts here in his first feature film. A very attractive trio they make in a house full of twist and turns. Discoveries like this keep me snooping through Indies and waiting in line at festivals hoping for more gems. This is one of them. Sekavis reviewer got it right.

Did the other reviewers watch the same film that I did ?

Author: nazztrader from United States
12 May 2014

I'll begin by mentioning that the production values, special effects, and acting are far from excellent, but that is not the worst part of this film, IMO. And I couldn't disagree more with the reviewer who stated: "...the mood is meltingly David Lynch, this one would put big smiles on the faces of Nick Roog, Brian DePalma, and even Hitchcock." Instead, for me this is not compelling at all. There are all kinds of "loose ends" and unappealing or uninteresting characters - that's what you get for the first forty minutes, approximately. Then things "get cooking," resulting in what I would call "silly horror." If you enjoyed "Mystery Science Theater 3000" back in the day and are in the mood to throw some snarky quips at a "B movie" you haven't seen before, this might be what you're seeking. If you are looking for a ghost/haunted house horror film that is at least mediocre (even by today's standards), I don't think you will consider the time you spent watching this to have been worthwhile.

To be frank, it comes across as almost a "vanity project," with some nudity included that I'd guess some viewers will find gratuitous. I was mostly bored by this, and struggled to pay attention, though once in a while there was something I found amusing or humorous that didn't seem intended to provoke such a reaction. My thought was, "this director doesn't seem to know how to make a film!" It's confusing (in terms of all the things that are "thrown at" the viewer), yet there is nothing that is compelling enough for the viewer to think that he or she should "stick with it." We get a general sense of where things are headed within the first few minutes, yet all manner of "supernatural" things occur that seem designed only to keep an underdeveloped plot moving along. This is neither a competent, standard, feature-length horror film nor something more daring. However, I do think it could be edited into a solid three minute music video, if the accompanying music was appropriate, of course.

No, no and no

Author: Ahirudashi from Shinjuku
19 September 2013

I am not sure what other reviewers were seeing, but this is borrow, plagiarize, borrow, plagiarize done to death. Obvious plot, robotic acting, actors deliver their lines like a horse with peanut butter on its lips RedRum smack smack RedRum, smack smack. I honestly fell asleep watching this, but not in a good I'll catch the rest tomorrow kind of way. A film doesn't have to believable, but performance has to be convincing. nothing convincing = equals bad script, bad director. This unfortunately apparently has the screenwriter and director in the same guy. Kiss of death, unless you're Woody Allen.I'm angry with myself now for even mentioning Woody and for spending money on this bore fest.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]