IMDb > The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 6 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A very weird film starring 13 going on 30's Jennifer Garner

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
11 March 2015

The Odd Life Of Timothy Green is a 2012 fantasy and tales the tale of a childless couple played by Jennifer Garner in her Disney debut and Joel Eggerston who both work with dealing with pencils and they would love to have a child but struggle to have one until one night they write a bunch of stuff and put it in a box and dig it under ground. Of course that night and a child enters there life? Could he be brought together by Jennifer and Joel's charcthers?

So the child is called Timothy Green (hence the title)and his got leaves grown on his legs(yup im really not kidding here,his GOT LEAVES on his legs, strange huh). Timothy has to wear socks at all times so that he can't be notice with having leaves grown on his legs.

So can Jennifer and Joel keep Timothy forever? Well tune in to find out.

Bottom line this is one weird movie. I like Jennifer Garner since 13 Going on 30 but I may never know why this movie was made.

My advice watch Nostlagic Critic's review of this movie and you know how bad it is.

Nice story with a heartfelt message.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
23 February 2015

Although this movie will never win any awards there is something truly magical about The Odd Life Of Timothy Green. It starts out showing you that anything you can imagine can happen. Be open to every opportunity that life throws your way. Then of course there is the obligatory life lesson thrown in where everything starts to turn sour. There were a few moments though when all I could think was, geez the adults really are bastards. Everything always has to be a competition. Finally you guessed it, the ending picks up and everybody learns from their lessons.

OK so it may be pretty predicable but little Timothy Green has a wonderful spirit and has a beautiful way at looking at the world. It's a nice movie and a lovely concept. You probably only need to watch it once but it's worth it.

Cute, sappy and nothing wrong with that

Author: SnoopyStyle
4 October 2014

Cindy (Jennifer Garner) and Jim Green (Joel Edgerton) are looking to adopt and recounter their life with Timothy. Their doctor had just given up on their fertility. The couple is broke and at their lowest point. He works at the local Stanleyville pencil factory and she works at its museum. Jim refuses to give up. He lifts her spirit with the idea to write down all of their kid's characteristics and burying the pieces of paper in the garden. During the night, Timothy magically grows out of the garden.

There is nothing particularly wrong with the movie. It's cute. Garner is adorably lovely. Edgerton isn't really this character type but he's able to play against type. The kid is ahhh ... cute. This is sappy and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The movie does lack tension. There isn't much danger in the story. By showing the ending first, it puts any danger or sadness to a minimal. This is probably a good G-rated movie for people with kids or adults who want kids. I don't know how much of this is appealing to the little ones. After all, this is more about the adults than Timothy.

incredibly heartwarming

Author: ashlee2706
26 September 2014

after reading some of the reviews for this film i was left feeling unsure about whether i wanted to watch it or not but my love for Jennifer garner and Joel Edgerton influenced me to take a chance and it did not disappoint! Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton were a perfect choice for the roles of Cindy and Jim green. Their acting was definitely commendable, the story line however was amazing in an entirely different way. The story was original and the way the movie was shot (setting, cast, costume, language etc) added a different kind of magic to it. The Odd Life Of Timothy Green was the kind of movie that can make you laugh and cry, it was truly a magical and utterly heart warming story. One of my favourite aspects of this movie was the town it was set in, as mentioned above the setting definitely adds to the spark of the film but the colours used in the town and the colours in the forest was delightful and was very warming. This is one of the very few films i would definitely recommend to people of all ages as it was an absolute pleasure to watch.

I got something in my eye...and my heart

Author: Dan Franzen (dfranzen70) from United States
13 June 2014

The Odd Life of Timothy Green is a beautiful, sweet story of a childless couple who reap the benefits - and unintended consequences - of wish fulfillment. It's framed as a fantasy, but it is leavened with dollops of honesty, education, and wonder.

Jim (Joel Edgerton) and Cindy (Jennifer Garner) Green have been trying, trying, trying to have a baby. Their fertility doctor informs them that despite all of their efforts, the couple simply cannot conceive. Devastated, Cindy wants them to accept the facts and just move on, but Jim cannot let go. His coping mechanism is for each of them to write some attribute that they believe their child would have had (based on themselves) on pieces of notepaper, put the papers into a wooden box, and bury the box in the backyard garden. This they do, and during a highly unusual thunderstorm that night, they discover an unusual young boy in their house, muddy and wet - and with leaves on his lower legs.

His name is Timothy, and he calls Jim and Cindy "Mom" and "Dad." At first, Jim and Cindy believe young Timothy to be a runaway - but the leaves on his legs and the big hole in their garden lead them to suspect otherwise. And so, after so much time spent anxiously wishing for a baby of their own, the couple is now thrust full speed into the realm of parenthood. And I do mean full speed, for the very next morning various family members arrive for an outdoor party that apparently our two adults have forgotten all about.

Through Timothy, we meet the gang. Jim's dad Big Jim (David Morse) is the sort of smug, arrogant guy that most people take an instant dislike to; conversely, Cindy's Aunt Mel (Lois Smith) and Uncle Bub (M. Emmet Walsh) are the very picture of a lovely older couple. Then there's Cindy's sister Brenda (Rosemarie DeWitt) and her husband Franklin (Ron Livingston), who happens to be Jim's boss at the local pencil-manufacturing plant. Brenda and Franklin famously natter on about their overachieving three-kid brood, something that consistently rankles Cindy.

Timothy's effect on everyone around him is noticeable. Much like Pollyanna, the glad girl, Timothy seems to make everyone happy, even the cranky sorts like Big Jim. But yes, he is a bit of an oddity, and poor Jim and Cindy are torn between raising a so-called normal child and allowing Timothy to be himself. That does sound treacly, like an Afterschool Special. But somehow, it's not. We don't know where Timothy came from. We don't know why he has leaves on his legs and what they may signify. Those things aren't important to this story, because this is really a tale about not having all of the answers and doing the best anyway. In other words, it's about making mistakes and learning from them.

The movie also provides such a great perspective on being a parent (and I say this as a non-parent); Jim and Cindy are bewildered, beset by the ghosts of parents past and present. They try too hard, as one might expect from new parents. Never is this more evident than when Timothy finds himself on the school's soccer team (coached by rapper Common). Yes, they become soccer parents. And Timothy is not some savior who magically makes everything come out just grand. He knows who or what he is, but he is not infallible. In fact, there are many, many things he doesn't know (for example, how to swim).

I really appreciated the ending. Yes, it's sad and bittersweet, but it's so packed with emotion that the effect is very powerful indeed. Garner and Dianne Wiest, who plays Cindy's boss, are both excellent, and young CJ Adams (seen in the most recent Godzilla adaptation) is stunning.

A Polarizing Film, I Believe

Author: atlasmb from United States
6 June 2014

I have not read other reviews of this film, because I do not want my opinion to be tainted by the opinions of others. But I think this is a polarizing film . And perhaps there are good reasons for that.

"The Odd Life of Timothy Green" is a fantasy and a mystery. A married couple who learns they cannot have children buries a box containing all the personality traits they would hope a child of theirs would possess, ostensibly to symbolically bury the past dreams they can never realize, as a healing exercise. Then a child magically appears and becomes their son. And he possesses all the traits they wished for.

There is actually more than one mystery involved with this story. Where did he come from? Why is he here? And who are those people the married couple are narrating the story to?

The entire story hinges on the married couple and the foundling boy. It is all about how they treat the boy, wanting to be the perfect parents. The boy dispenses advice along the way with a native intelligence greater than the parents'. The boy is likable--charming, gentle, quirky, accepting of others and their faults. The parents, on the other hand, strike me as rather annoying. Their motivations for everything (other than their genuine love of the boy) seem to be petty, compensatory, and small minded.

However, I think the main reason this film would be polarizing is that it shamelessly leads the viewer on a journey some will find insulting, boring or too precious. Others will probably find the film wholesome, life-affirming and heartwarming. Both views are partly true.

In the end, I cannot score the film very highly. For it to have any value, the lessons it imparts--for those who find them--must be valuable lessons. If we see the parents as our proxies, learning what the creators of this film would have us learn, I have to say I think they learned little (other than be very careful what you wish for). They were a loving couple at the beginning of the film They were loving at the end. An alternate view would be that the film demonstrates that real love is the only thing you need to parent a child--a meager lesson that I think all lovers of this film always knew.

A Diamond In The Rough

Author: Christopher Mueller from Australia
17 May 2014

This film has been despicably misinterpreted by other critics.

It is a story of parenthood and how children can teach you so much. It is unfair that people do not see that.

DO NOT listen to them - watch this with your family.

It is a great film - of course, some poorly produced scenes and some repetitive scripting but compared to the cliché stuff coming from Hollywood, I cannot see how that is such an interruption for the audience of this film.

The actor playing Timmy is also very good.

Watch this film, and, in the words of Timmy, "Never Give Up."

Please always form your own opinion.

Author: (Naijshua@Yahoo.com) from United States
9 May 2014

I finished watching this film tonight and I'm glad I decided to watch it. If I were to listen to others I wouldn't been able to tell you how great it is. It could have been worst but I discovered for myself that it was great. Like all things in life you should try to take in as much as possible until your time is up. Enjoyable characters, wholesome story, and it just made me smile. Even teared up at the end.

I'll definitely recommend this movie to friends with the warning always form your own opinions. I hope anyone reading this opts to do the same. Damn I should have a been actor ..... may it's not to late ;) for now I'll just keep watching random movies as inspiration and hoping I keep running into the films like this one.

Well this was a nice feel-good movie

Author: Peter Pluymers (peterp@cyberdude.com) from Kortessem, Belgium
6 May 2014

Ouch Walt Disney ... and yes I immediately had a feeling that this would be a pedantic family movie with a whopper of a moral. An enormous tearjerker which will give me a flashback of 40 years ago with my sniffing sisters on a pouffe staring at a similar funeral mood movie.

But to be honest ... this film charmed me in a subtle way. The beautiful environment in which it all happened, the woods and the swirling leaves, the typical local farming village with a dying pencil factory and Pencil Museum, the social ties between the people, the snobbish irritating family and the chilly in-an-ivory-tower-living manager. This along with the lovely-looking Timothy who is super cuddly with his twinkling eyes and who appears in the lives of Cindy and Jim, a childless couple that while enjoying a glass of wine in the evening make a list of the ideal son, put it in a cigar box and plant it between the vegetables. From there, you know step by step what's going to happen, what's expected and what's the outcome ... but for once I didn't care, because I enjoyed it.

A family movie that surely deserves a place in the gallery of "The better family movies ever". A smile, a tear and a sad but ultimately happy ending.

Well, the advantage of getting older is that you also can appreciate such movies.

The best and most funny moment was the prediction that Timothy, as a abominably bad soccer-player, would score the winning goal, came true ... except on the wrong side.