IMDb > The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very, very underrated.

Author: jabaligian
20 August 2012

When I first saw the previews for this film, I was on the fence about seeing it. To me, it looked like it could be a pretty good movie, or an absolute train wreck. Then I read the reviews, which weren't very good, and I was less sure about seeing it. A few days ago, I saw it out of boredom at a cheap movie theater. As I began to watch the film, I realized that the movie was very uplifting and emotional, with lots of other feelings. I can admit, I cried during the film and I think everyone else in the theater did too. This movie wasn't all perfect though. It was very predictable, and when something happened in the middle of the film, I could basically tell how it would end. All in all, I walked out of the theater feeling good, and I hope to see it again soon.

A word of advice, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS OF THIS MOVIE. The Odd Life of Timothy Green is a great family movie to see, and it really gives you that warm feeling when you leave the theater.

Great, great movie!

Author: keilanil from United States
23 July 2012

What a wonderful movie! Because you can read the summary, I will just tell you our reaction to it. We were lucky enough to receive tickets to a pre-release screening of this moving. We took the whole family, 5 boys ages 5-16, and my husband and myself. Everyone loved it. Even the 5 year old, and that is no small thing. This movie will make you laugh and cry and then laugh again. And the laughing moments range from chuckles to totally surprise you as they burst out of your chest howls out loud.

Though we have our boys, we are waiting to adopt a girl, so the theme of parents who want a child that they can't seem to have, and the theme of taking in a child that you didn't give birth to and/or adoption really hit home for us. I sat at the end of the movie and cried, and they were tears of laughter and sadness and hope all mixed up together. Even if you're not interested in adoption, this is really a touching show.

I wish Disney made more movies like this. Totally clean, nothing even remotely possibly offensive, and yet it wasn't just a kid show. It was interesting, engaging, witty. As noted above - good for everyone from ages 5 to 40!

This review makes me feel like an old curmudgeon

Author: somf from United States
14 August 2012

I like Peter Hedges' other films. I wish I could have liked this more. Its' heart and message are so in the right place, but it plays like a schmaltzy movie of the week. Jennifer Garner, whom I have really enjoyed in other roles, overplays this one and is very disappointing. The kid who plays Timothy is good enough. His young female friend Odeya Rush is the best in the cast. Joel Edgerton is perfect for Lifetime movie of the week. They are all really likable. So I just wished I liked the film more. And the message is terrific. I cry in schmaltzy films but I think it says much about this film in that the only time it brought any tears was in the final scene which was grounded in reality. When the fantasy was going I just wasn't sucked in.

7 may be a generous rating, but this is a solid family film with a strong positive message. There is a big audience out there for this film. I don't really want to discourage them from seeing it.

There is something odd about this movie, indeed.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
16 September 2012

Something is missing from this movie. By all means, this should had been a great, entertaining and heartfelt, modern fairy tale, for the whole family to enjoy but the movie handles certain themes poorly and make some odd choices with its story at times.

And honestly, I still foremost really liked the movie. It's harmless and cute enough still and the movie has its moments. But that doesn't take away anything from the fact that this movie still is being a bit of a missed opportunity.

All of the right intentions were there, it just didn't always worked out successfully. The approach they were going for was a heartfelt family movie, in which a mysterious young boy brings people together and changes their lives for the positive. It just happen to do it all in a wrong way, for most of the time. First of all; it does far too little with its mystery/fantasy aspects. They accept the boy for who he is and where he came from pretty early on- and easily. Besides, it all seems like the boy is doing very little special actually, as if the movie was afraid it would loose some of its viewers if it was going to be more heavy on its fantasy aspects.

That perhaps was the movie its biggest problem; it wasn't heavy on its fantasy. The movie rather picks some uninteresting plot developments instead. It prefers to be about pencils, as opposed to something more heartfelt or bigger than life. It seems like the movie still wanted to be about morals and wanted to teach you about life but it mostly does so by inserting stereotypical characters and some forced or formulaic dramatic moments. It's not as warm and emotional involving as this movie required to be, in order for it to let it all work out.

I am also still a bit confused about it who this movie was aimed for. It seems to be a bit too slow and uninteresting for young children and not convincing enough for adults. It's a bit in between of being an entertaining children's movie and a modern fairy tale for adults. I did wished they had balanced certain things out a bit better, so the movie would had been better and more fun to watch for both adults and youngsters.

The movie is still being fine as it is. I mean, all the things I had problems with didn't ruined the movie for me in any way and I could certainly still enjoy and appreciate it for what it was. It's cuteness factor and innocence still make this a recommendable film. Just don't expect to be very taken- or blown away by any of it.

Very mushy and fun

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
8 October 2012

Although this movie is not much of a box office success, due to the heavy load of drama, sensitivity and all the mushy-mushy stuff, I still say it is nice to see things go well sometimes, makes you feel that the world is not that bad.

Walt Disney still brings a little magic into our lives trying to make you feel the world is not that much of a sad place. Peter Hedges the director and co-writer of the film did a nice job with this movie, which doesn't have lots of special effects but delivers the hallmark family fun that Disney is known for, Peter finds a way to draw your sensitivity out and make you develop an emotional attachment to the characters from the movies first scene of parents struggling to have a child to when a naked kid shows up and then all the way till the end.

The odd life of Timothy green is about a couple Cindy and Jim Green (Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton), who couldn't have children. The couple has done all they can to get pregnant but all to no avail, so they began to dream about what their child would be like, they wrote down all they wished he would be, achieve and become, placed it in a box and buried it in the backyard.

One stormy night young Timothy (CJ Adams) shows up on their doorstep and calls them mum and dad.

CJ Adams was exceptional in his task as Timothy Green, child actors seem to have a difficult role sometimes when they have to convince you, but CJ did a good job and I was impressed by his acting.

As Adams plays young Timothy who sees life differently; hey! He has leaves growing on his ankles, he likes to spread his hands in the sunlight, he is naïve and truthful to a fault.

The movie's story had some loops here and there, but it was fun to see how things planned to turn out, although some can boast that the movie was a little predictable but it was also lovable. I won't burst the kids from school to go see this movie, but if you do catch it on TV gather the family around for a fun time.

Really Really Stupid

Author: headly66 from New Jersey
12 December 2012

The whole feel of this movie is annoying, the acting is sub par, the humor uncomfortable. Jennifer Garner is obnoxious and simple, she seems to just accept this dirt boy as normal and allows him to just do normal things without even checking if he as something wrong with him or carries diseases. The father is an absolute dolt. Why is the girl, who is so much older than Timothy in the same grade? The scene with him drawing the mothers boss is just silly. The music scene with the WAR song is incredibly stupid. The soccer scene made me want to pull my hair out. These overbearing moronic parents are unwatchable. Everyone at the pencil company meeting just accepts that he has leaves growing out of his legs without question. Worst line of the movie...."If this boy can have a leaf on his ankle, then we can make a pencil out of leaves, lets get to work!" That makes no sense and neither does this film. Then they get to adopt a child even though they tell this insane story.

This pointless waste of time may be the worst movie I have seen in a decade.

Despite best efforts of Jennifer Garner & CJ Adams, odd movie is boring and dumb

Author: herbqedi from New York, NY
21 January 2013

This movie opens with Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton as prospective adoptive parents trying to make their case for application. The three agency characters shown are bureaucratic caricatures except for occasional interjections of nasty and misanthropic attempts at humor that no bureaucrat would risk losing her (or his) job to make. It is during this time that to explain "what experiences have prepared them for parenthood" that they tell their tales of "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" in flashback.

Having been told finally that natural parenthood is impossible for them, the Greens perform one final exercise of writing down what their perfect child would be like, then putting them in a box and burning it. Lo and behold, Timothy (the only boy name selected) comes out of the garden and behaves with all the characteristics they imagined as time unfolds, one pronounced trait at a time.

I love good fantasies but they should be internally consistent within the rules of the fantasy world they create. This one isn't close. I also enjoy feel-good movies - one description many reviewers use for this. This movie has an awful lot of misanthropic characters and humor for a feel-good movie. It plays to me more like an ironic fantasy of Raold Dahl (Matilda, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, etc.) without the sharp wit or the internal consistency.

You know you are in trouble when the kindest and sweetest of the supporting characters is played by M. Emmett Walsh. David Morse, normally a personal favorite, plays Edgerton's father so devoid of humanity that we never get a clear view of his face. Rosemarie DeWitt (Tara's sister in the US of Tara) plays a stereotyped condescending, judgmental, and catty sister. Michael Arden is still another sarcastic "friend" and co-worker with his own agenda. Diane Wiest, another favorite and generally wonderful in fantasy (Edward Scisssorhands), is so nasty and unlikable that her transformation seems ridiculous. The untalented Ron Livingston is even nastier and less convincing than usual as Edgerton's slimy boss. Edgerton is no better than adequate as the husband. CJ Adams is marvelous and thoroughly credible as the Timothy Green he creates and Jennifer Garner does manage to move my heart as contrived and nasty as the script is. These are two standout performances far better than this movie deserves.

One real problem is that even though Timothy's appearance, transformation, deeds, and exit actions are magical, that magic is nowhere to be seen or appreciated on-screen. This makes the movie a pointless and dense 105-minute talk-fest for kids and pointless and unlikable for most adults looking for entertainment. Another major problem, given how contentious and nasty the Green's friends and relatives are and given the mysterious appearance of this boy and the movie's small-company-town atmosphere, how is it that nobody has asked questions to the local adoption agency about this boy or seriously investigates where he came from. Finally, the people and town also seem too affluent and dress too well for a company town whose main business is failing. Also, how is it that Dianne Wiest who runs the company where Garner works is suddenly on-stage for the climactic scene in the pencil company where Ron Livingston takes credit for Green's invention? What is the soccer coach doing there? Has the movie suddenly morphed into Gung Ho?

I could continue to go into the inconsistency of Timothy's homilies about his gifts and the couple actually getting a kid form the bureaucrats, but that too would be pointless.

An oddly-paced and oddly-acted endeavor

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
21 August 2012

Count me as the odd man out in my opinion of this picture.

Disney Studio's effort to create a benign supernatural tale — with more than a passing nod to "Forrest Gump" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" — about a young boy who magically appears from a garden, at first seemed a bit ludicrous.

Upon viewing The Odd Life of Timothy Green, however, reveals it is actually a bittersweet, emotional, heartfelt experience. Yet, there are some glaring distractions which make it difficult to give that experience a total recommendation.

Directed by Peter Hedges ("Pieces of April," "Dan in Real Life") and written by Hedges and Ahmet Zappa, The Odd Life of Timothy Green often cannot decide which road it wants to travel. Some critics may label this a well-meaning, yet thinly-veiled sentimental blah-fest, I tried to see it more as a positive family film, certainly flawed and certainly clichéd in part, but overall somewhat satisfying with several genuine lump-in-the-throat moments.

However, unlike the recent "Moonrise Kingdom," where the presence of two offbeat young characters was a revelation, here, it becomes tiresome.

Told in flashback to an international adoption official, the story has married couple Jim and Cindy Green (Joel Edgerton, "Warrior," and Jennifer Gardner, "Arthur") unable to conceive, yet passionate about having a baby. So, in true Hollywood fashion, they write down the attributes of a perfect child and bury the notes in their garden.

I cannot imagine anyone doing such a thing, but . . . thanks to a "Home Alone"-like mystical contrivance, though, a little boy, Timothy (CJ Adams, "Dan In Real Life"), makes his entrance.

At first, the Greens believe him to be a runaway, but realize he has come from a place they could not possibly comprehend (the leaves growing from his ankles illustrates the weird circumstances they find themselves in).

They make no effort to explain his presence to family, friends and school officials, other than to say it was a miraculous adoption. Then, trying to be "perfect" parents, they find themselves repeating the same mistakes their own mothers and fathers did. This is especially true of Jim, whose dad (David Morse, "16 Blocks") ignored him and/or bullied him for years.

Yet, for all of his strangeness (he goes into trances while looking at the sun and seems blissfully idiotic, at times), Timothy has a most positive attitude and brings joy to older actors such as M. Emmet Walsh ("Back to School") and Dianne Wiest ("Parenthood"), among others.

He also becomes involved with another bizarre loner, Joni (Odeya Rush, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" TV series), who has a birthmark instead of vegetation and drags giant tree limbs around on her bicycle.

Meanwhile, a subplot concerning the possible closing of the town's pencil factory causes more consternation, since both parents are employed at the plant. Token villains, including Cindy's snobby sister, Brenda (Rosemarie DeWitt, "The Watch"), and factory owner Franklin Crudstaff (Ron Livingston, best known for "Office Space"), are inserted simply to root against.

A sports element is also thrown in for no particular reason other than to show the good and bad side of moms and dads who derive success and failure from their offspring.

The messages contained within, while certainly valuable and sometimes acted admirably, often lack a sense of subtly — sometimes the writing is carved with a chisel and smeared with too many situations we have seen many times before.

That, and there is absolutely no chemistry between the leads, with Garner's irritating performance as the meat-headed "mother" provoking much more anger and impatience than empathy.

My frustration was also how to separate the wheat from the chaff here. I think any movie that supports a pro-family, pro-adoption agenda has a definite place in our current film lexicon. I just wish that "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" was a better example of those values.

The odd life of....who cares

Author: Gavin from South Africa
12 December 2012

I'm a big fan of Jennifer Garner, have been since I first saw her in Alias and then again in Catch and release. But I have to ask myself: what the hell was she thinking when she agreed to do this movie ?

2 People struggling to have a child get their wish when one 'grows' in their backyard. The result is just like the name of the movie suggests: odd.

The movie creates a mood of desperation and sadness both in the lives of the husband and wife and the people in the town trying desperately to keep their jobs. As the story unfolds, the story stumbles around in the dark as it tries to find its way to a happy ending.

The scene where Tim scores an own goal really made me wanna stop watching. No effort is made to define the time line, so I wasn't sure if the movie takes place over a few days or a few months.

If you watching this depressing dreck, I'd suggest taking a few Prozac first, as it is neither comedy or drama, but rather morbid garbage that would stink if stink could be purveyed via video.

This movie was awful, and quite possibly my least favorite movie of all time. And I've seen 'House Bunny.'

Author: Matt Dilbeck from Denver, Colorado
23 December 2012

The movie was extremely uncomfortable to watch, as each character was uniquely awkward and very unlikable in their own way. There were odd introductions, poor character development, and abrupt and absurd resolutions.

Halfway through this movie I was so annoyed that I could have walked out, the first movie I would ever have walked out on in my life, had I not felt obligated to stay as I had talked a few coworkers into seeing this advanced screening with me.

Ugh! And wasted talent the likes of Rosemarie DeWitt, Dianne Wiest, & Shohreh Aghdashloo was embarrassing. In fact, there weren't any actors involved with this movie that I particularly dislike, but left completely disappointed in all of them.

This movie was tailored to a specific type of audience, people who respond to false sentiment and enjoy being spoon-fed the emotions the director wants them to eat, only in the case of 'Timothy,' what emotions they try and feed you are all wrong. I mean, I get that Hedges wants you to cry, he makes that blatantly obvious by constantly reminding us throughout the movie that Timothy won't be around forever, and I could feel for the little guy, if only I didn't want to punch him and every other character in the face the entire time.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]