IMDb > The Gruffalo (2009) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Gruffalo

The Gruffalo (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Perfect adaptation to the book

Author: krkmtchll-335-694437 from Canada
6 April 2012

It's even better than the book. This is everything that 'Where the Wild Things Are' should have been, but wasn't.

The animation style is interesting, and I just love the dialogue and voice acting. We have a four year old, and he just loves this film. At about a half-hour, it's not too long for kids that can't sit through an hour or longer movie without getting disinterested.

The music is beautiful as well. Very memorable and peaceful.

If you have a little one, I recommend this film - it's one of those 'kid' films that is just as fun for the parents to watch, thanks to all the little nuances put into it (like how every living thing except the mouse gets put through the food chain).

Charming short film

Author: jamiemiles99 from United Kingdom
22 February 2013

As a parent of small kids I get used to watching films multiple times on DVD. Thankfully this one stands up to repeat viewings. I did wonder how a 5 minute book could be stretched to nearly half an hour, but the makers have added plenty of little details that, while not adding to the overall story, do expertly complement it.

The CGI woodland scenery looks fantastic - I'm not normally won over by 'graphics' but it really adds charm - and is supported by a brilliant musical score. As the dialogue (with the exception of some of the squirrel lines) follows the book, there isn't a huge amount. But what is there is done with personality and is memorable.

For those that don't know the story, its a simple but clever tale filled with imagination and bound to appeal to young kids and adults with a playful imagination.

Recommended.

The art of make-believe

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
10 October 2013

Rarely has it been displayed more entertaining and witty than in this 27-minute short film. It was released during the Christmas holidays 2009. A bit off an odd choice as there's no Christmas spirit or snowy landscapes in this one, instead a beautifully animated green forest. Mother Squirrel tells her kids a story and there's certainly something mysterious about it, just like about the whole film. Bonham Carter does a nice job voicing the narrator and it makes me want to see her in more animation. Her intonation gives the film a very unique tone, the whole thing just like the creature in the center of it are shrouded in mystery.

We see a little mouse pretending to be friends with that creature, a Gruffalo, whose favorite meal is fox, owl or snake depending on which enemy the mouse has to keep from making it their lunch. But what happens when the Gruffalo actually appears? All in all it's an entertaining half-hour feature and I'm okay with it being nominated for an Oscar. I'm not sure if it's better than the winner "The Lost Thing", but it definitely made a good watch. It's a bit of very a modern fable on the David-Golitah metaphor and the rhymes included and recited by Bonham Carter occasionally reminded me of the old Dr. Seuss animation.

Superb Animation!

Author: ichocolat from i1chocolat.blogspot.com
15 September 2010

The only gripe I have about this film is that this animation is too short, as I had so much time watching it! The animation is superb, and every minute detail is taken into consideration. Certainly it involves a team of dedicated people, who do not do things just for the sake of doing it.

It is nominated for BAFTA awards, and it is very surprising that the film didn't get any awards for its astounding job.

I like the way the narrator makes the story to rhyme. And even though it is repetitive, it does not bother me.

A good full marks for this great short animation!

Ingenious story for children

Author: maxikompel from Argentina
3 June 2011

The Gruffalo is a short for children, that has a very "preety" plot and story, it has some parts of funny jokes. It's simply about a little mouse who is treating to survive in the jungle, i really like its character and its "personality" (he is very very funny). For the ones who want celebrities the voices of some characters are: Helena Bonham Carter, John Hurt and Tom Wilkinnson. Helena is my favorite actress but it don't really care in this short because her appearance is almost unnoticed. I won't tell you anymore so you can see it. I recommend it for children and i give it a 6. Greetings, I hope you like it. By maxi0305

A pleasant half hour cartoon that should please most children.

Author: Hellmant from United States
23 February 2011

'THE GRUFFALO': Three Stars (Out of Five)

The longest of the Oscar animated short films this year, this one is a thirty minute adaptation of a children's book (of the same name) written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler. The film was adapted by Donaldson, Jakob Schuh and Max Lang. It was directed by Schuh and Lang as well. It features the voice talents of Helena Bonham Carter, James Corden, Tom Wilkinson, John Hurt, Robbie Coltrane and others. It tells the story of a mouse (Corden) who outwits a fox (Wilkinson), an owl (Hurt) and a snake (Roby Brydon), who are ready to eat him, by making up a more frightening creature called a 'gruffalo' to scare them with. He then is forced to outwit the very creature he thought he invented (Coltrane) upon running into it. The story is told by a mother squirrel (Carter) to her children. It originally aired on UK television in December of 2009 (which makes me wonder how it was still eligible for an Oscar nomination but I guess the same rules don't apply for short films as features). The film itself is charming and pleasant but certainly nothing groundbreaking or memorable. The animation is pretty basic and the story is routine kid's fare. It is a pleasant half hour cartoon that should please most children though, just not anything I'd expect to be up for an Oscar nomination.

Watch our review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBqNUf10kuk

Great animation, nice rendering, but the moral: Dishonesty

Author: Antonin Ganner (tony.ganner@gmail.com) from Australia
7 July 2012

A well made recreation of the book, very well animated, great style, well expressed. But the moral of the story, is that dishonesty is the best approach to survival.

Frankly, considering it's aimed at children of a highly susceptible age to such influences, the fact that this is well made horrifies me.

The author's intent was to create a children's book without purpose, at least I hope, but the result is something incredibly damaging to our society.

If you're going to censor what your children watch, I could name a hundred movies full of hardcore blood and violence that would give them a far better moral education.

Hell, Watership Down may have been brutal and had me cowering behind the sofa once a week in my years as a toddler, but at least it had integrity, and a point other than existing.

I'll give it a 5. 10 for quality, 1 for purpose/story.

Why I won't give it a 10 !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
17 July 2011

A tale about how cunning compensates the lack of power, shown in a magically colorful, greatly made 3D animation. The action is intense, the fun is smart (The daydreams' shots for big instance), the characters are all distinguished and so cute; I have such an admiration for the owl's design. However, while everything seems all right, all bright, there were some things here and there that bugged me.

The narration, rather the whole squirrel storyline ? It was a factor of thrill, yes. But in general I felt that it elongated the movie more than benefited it. Its start is strange, since obviously these kids need to eat, not to listen to a story. And when in its end they all have the food, without cunning or anything, then it's kind of bland and unnecessary.

The matter of the lead wanting to go to the nuts' big tree was left with no end. I felt that he, after the whole scheme, already reached it; as if it's an equal to his success. Or he could have eventually used the Gruffalo to do such a thing (while his running afraid lastly). By the way, I hated how the Gruffalo, despite all what he has seen of clues, wanted to eat the lead near the end ?? I see that it was just a lousy attempt to make a thrilling moment, which came out as forced and unbelievable.

While the characters are a memorable experience, the snake's design isn't. It was the weakest of them all, looking more like a character in a tacky puppet show! The pace is mostly fine, atmospheric and meditative, however I thought that the movie could have been shorter, especially the intro / opening credits which in fact fits a feature film. And finally, violet or not, I couldn't stand the matter of the wart on the Gruffalo's nose.. GROSS !

This is luscious and meaningful. But on the scale of 10 it stopped at 7. Hmmm, let's make it 8 due to its image then.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]