IMDb > Goon (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Goon

Goon More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Goon: Better than Slap Shot?

Author: acdc_mp3 from United States
12 January 2013

I never thought I would say this, but can this movie actually be better than the best hockey movie of all time "Slap Shot"??? I watched Goon for the first time a couple months ago and I enjoyed it enough. I mentally gave it a 6.5 or 7 and promptly forgot about it. I was scrolling thru Netflix and saw Goon listed and asked my son if he wanted to watch it. We both sat down and this time around I realized that this movie was something special. Just little nuances that I didn't notice the first time through stood out like hilarious and touching beams of light. Slap Shot did the same thing for me and I will never forget seeing that movie with my dad on my 14th birthday in 1978 (it was double featured with Animal House, seriously, it was my best birthday ever, thanks dad!) Most people will view this movie the first thinking "meh" or "pure trash" etc, but if you do watch it...WATCH IT. Do not be texting or have any other distractions and watch it. Look for the subtle gems throughout. The cast was excellent and I thought Sean William Scott and Liev Schreiber played their parts perfectly. I am very glad I stumbled across this movie and I am looking forward to seeing again to catch other tidbits that I missed from last time.

So, is this movie better than Slap Shot? Damn tough question.

10/10 for the humor, characters, over all entertainment value.

Punching and boom-basting fight sequences makes it enthralling

Author: Ketan Gupta from India
6 January 2013

Goon was a feel good sports flick with lot of abuses , violence and blood but still it was punching and gritty.

Doug Glatt is a bouncer at a local club and is disappointed with his life as he thinks of himself as stupid and useless guy when compared to his intelligent family. However , odds goes into his favor when he is invited by a coach of a well-reputed hockey team to lead the pack and fight whatever stands his way.

Directed by Michael Dowse, GOON is based on a true story of ruthless and relentless hockey player, Doug Glatt. The story is simple but it is execution of the plot which makes it a compelling watch. The screenplay is written with conviction. Couple of scene do stand out- The scene where Doug gets hit by the ball in his face and fall flats on the ground not allowing opponents to hit the goal inspite of getting severely injured, the climax scene where Doug fights with Ross Rhea is the highlight of the film. The film however contains lot of bloodshed and abuses which unfortunately is required in the film ( generally shown in a Ice Hockey game). Sean William Scott completely surprises with his serious performance. The actor who is popular in comedy roles will surely been recognized for his performance as Doug Glatt.

GOON is hard-core violent bloody sport movie which is more of GUY's flick with some cool punching and boom-basting fight sequences. Good 3/5

This movie is exactly what it looks like... done well.

Author: leftydan-489-631333
29 September 2012

This movie is what you get when you throw a hockey fan at an American Pie. There is no intellectualism, not much plot to speak of and no surprises. The F-bomb is thrown out there with such frequency that it becomes distracting early on so keep the kids locked in your trunk or tranquilized in bed. Having said that, it is just plain funny. Sean William Scott apparently plays a dimwitted idiot lovable idiot as well as he plays a profane a-hole college student.

Goon goes to the happy building euphoria stage of the movie pretty quickly and doesn't come crashing down to depressing reality until late. After a 1 minute pause where nobody loves Doug it goes right back to happy go lucky punching with D&F jokes in between. This movie is The Waterboy, but on ice.

Seann William Scott Is Utterly Terrific!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
19 September 2012

'Goon' boasts one of Seann William Scott's best performances to date. Cast as an outcast who achieves greatness in the hockey world, Scott is utterly terrific in his portrayal. His performance alone, is worth giving this film a look.

'Goon' Synopsis: Labeled an outcast by his brainy family, a bouncer overcomes long odds to lead a team of under performing misfits to semi-pro hockey glory, beating the crap out of everything that stands in his way.

'Goon' has merits. The film is nicely written & efficiently executed. I credit Jay Baruchel & Evan Goldberg's Screenplay. It blends well & gives a terrific opportunity for Scott to deliver so strongly. Michael Dowse's Direction is appropriate.

Scott is truly worth mentioning again and again. He takes a very believable turn & is in top form! Another memorable performance comes from Live Schreiber, he's really good.

On the whole, 'Goon' is mostly a performance driven film.

Inspirational and extremely violent hockey movie!

Author: Hellmant from United States
31 August 2012

'GOON': Four Stars (Out of Five)

An inspirational and extremely violent hockey movie about a dim-witted outcast that finally finds his place in the world as a 'goon' for a semi-pro hockey team. The film was based on the book 'Goon: The True Story of an Unlikely Journey into Minor League Hockey' by Adam Frattasio and Doug Smith. It's a biography based on Smith's successful career as a minor-league hockey 'enforcer' from 1988 to 1998. Sean William Scott stars as the character based on Smith in the film (Doug Glatt) and it was directed by Michael Dowse (who's previous directing credits include the headbangers comedy 'FUBAR' and the 80's themed comedy 'TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT'). It was adapted for the screen by Jay Baruchel (who also co-stars in the film) and Evan Goldberg (who usually works with buddy Seth Rogen on such screenplays as 'SUPERBAD', 'PINEAPPLE EXPRESS', 'THE GREEN HORNET' and 'THE WATCH' but this time teamed with their mutual friend Goldberg instead). The movie is funny but more importantly it's a great inside look at the professional world of hockey!

As the film opens Doug Glatt (Scott) is a bouncer who's not happy with life and feels extremely undervalued by his family, especially his father who's a successful doctor (Eugene Levy). He idolizes legendary hockey goon Ross Rhea (Liev Schreiber) and spends most of his time hanging out with his hockey obsessed best friend, Pat (Baruchel), who hosts a commentary show on the sport. One day while the two are at a game a player climbs in to the stands attacking them (after being provoked by Pat) and calls them a homosexual slur. This upsets Doug, who has a gay brother, and he beats the crap out of him. His actions really impress the coach of his hometown hockey team (Nicholas Campbell) and he's asked to join the team as an enforcer. His success there leads to an invitation to join the Halifax Highlanders in Canada where he finally finds purpose and unity with his fellow teammates. He also attracts the attention of a girl (Alison Pill) for the first time and instantly falls for her.

Supposedly Doug Smith has been quoted as saying he's very happy with the film and it has been praised by hockey enthusiasts as an authentic look at the game, in all it's bloody glory. Baruchel and Goldberg's script is both witty and inspiring and Dowse's directing is sentimentally fitting. The film has a nice 80's feel to it (just like Dowse's 'TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT', which was a pretty good film as well). All of the actors are more than adequate in their roles; Schreiber is especially memorable and Scott is about as likable as he's ever been. Some may see the tale as sort of a 'FORREST GUMP' style glorification of idiots but I think it's extremely touching and heartfelt. It's inspirational as well as extremely humorous and a grade A crowd pleaser all around.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ld28EwmjL8

just above average

Author: deatman9 from Canada
30 May 2012

This movie is not bad at all but it is definitely nothing special. It has some pretty good acting by all the cast and some good scenes but it has a lack of a good plot and script.

This movie is about under achieveing bouncer doug who finds out he is a great hockey fighter. So a hockey team takes him on as their "goon" someone who just fights. As he plays he continues to get better and becomes a real hockey player.

This movie is not bad but its not really funny. There is a couple chuckles here and there but the script in my opinion is poor. Gratuitous laungage and not many jokes make it poor in my mind.

Over all not bad movie worth watching if you like hockey and are Canadian otherwise i wouldn't recommend it.

If you like hockey fighting, watch this movie!

Author: Bruce Lee from United States
9 March 2012

Reviewing this movie is pretty simply actually. If you like hockey and hockey fights you will love this movie. If you do not like violence and hockey fighting you will not love this movie. The rest is just details and I will leave it to others to give them. Will this movie win an Academy Award, of course not, but if you love hockey fighting you will have a great time watching and laughing at this movie.

Storyline

a very funny celebration of the often forgotten members on the ice

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
7 March 2012

It is hard to say that the film "Goon" is not enjoyable. Full of lowbrow laughs, ridiculous fight scenes, and sympathetic characters, writers Jay Baruchel and Evan Goldberg have created a pretty hilarious comedy. On the other hand, they do it in a messy fashion and cover a topic that has become a great concern to much of their target audience.

The film "Goon" stars Seann William Scott in the not-so-ordinary role of sympathetic loser (at least for him anyway). Scott plays Doug Glatt, a bouncer at a bar who is discovered by a low level hockey coach that sees the potential Doug has as a hockey enforcer. Though he isn't a solid skater, has no background in hockey, and is an incredibly nice guy, Doug has the fists of a god and knows how to win a fight. Doug agrees to join the team and soon becomes an enforcer to be reckoned with.

While the story is fairly simple and the character of Doug is extremely lovable, I was surprised to see how poorly the film moved along. While Baruchel is new to writing (he plays Doug's friend Ryan in "Goon" and is known for his roles in "Knocked Up," "Tropic Thunder" and "How to Train Your Dragon") Goldberg has been a co-writer on several huge comedies, such as "Superbad" and "Pineapple Express" (both co-written by Seth Rogen). With a couple huge films like these under his belt, I would expect a little more than what came from "Goon."

The main problem with the story structure is everything seems rushed. Doug goes from a bouncer, to a hockey player that doesn't know how to skate, to an enforcer beating down opponents all in the first fifteen minutes of the film. He falls in love with a girl (played by Alison Pill) and she starts to love him back in two minutes of film time. He moves up to a mid-level hockey team within the first half hour of the film. It seems rushed and poorly planned, even if the happenings in the film are funny.

There are also characters that seem to have no role in the film at all when they should. Doug's parents (his father played by Eugene Levy) and brother seem like they will be an important part of Doug's life, but his parents disapproval doesn't affect Doug. Their absence is sudden and the fact they don't return or learn to accept Doug seems strange, albeit a nice departure from the cliché of sports films.

While all of this was designed rather poorly, there is no denying this movie is funny and that Seann William Scott can even carry the straight role of a comedy. Sure, Scott has his funny moments and his nice guy character has some pretty great quirks, but he is essentially the driving force to keep the movie going, when he usually plays the dumb, loud idiot like Stifler in "American Pie" or Wheeler in "Role Models." Scott plays Doug where we sympathize with him, even if we do laugh at his nice guy attitude and his lack of general understanding for the situations he's in.

While "Goon" is very funny and has you engaged all along, the film will be released at a very interesting time. Much of the target audience for "Goon" is no doubt hockey fans, and the film is coming to them at a time when the subject isn't easily as laughable. With great players like Sidney Crosby suffering from concussion symptoms that threaten their careers and the ongoing long term results from many of these hits and fights we will see in "Goon," the subject matter is not always as easy to find humor in.

The one thing that I kept being reminded of when watching Doug try to make the team and defend his teammates that he has only shortly come to know is the story of Derek Boogaard that appeared in the New York Times late last year. The life of an enforcer in hockey, one where they know they must be ready to put their bodies on the line at all times, is not an easy one; you fight, scratch, and claw; you break bones, bleed, and hurt. But you do it all for your teammates and to continue to do what you love: play hockey.

It is tough being reminded of the hard life of an enforcer in hockey, but "Goon" does make us chuckle and cheer for them. We must remember that the film was not made to mock or make fun of the life of an enforcer, but rather to glorify and praise their work. While we may not want to glorify the hits they give out and what their body goes through (as this has been a major issue in hockey recently), it is an essential part of the sport and a position that means so much to a team.

While hockey movies like "Miracle" and "The Rocket" tell stories of great moments and glory in hockey, films like "Slap Shot" and "Goon" remind us of the gritty side of the sport with a few laughs along the way. And while "Goon" struggles in its story telling and focus, the film succeeds in making us laugh and helps us cheer for the often forgotten hero in the hockey world. It is a funny story that celebrates the life of an enforcer without making light of the violence. In this period of time in the hockey world, it will be interesting to see how "Goon" makes true hockey fans feel. It may be made for some laughs (which will be found), but the film actually will hit home in a different way to fans, even as a comedy.

Read more reviews of Film, TV, and Games at CustodianFilmCritic.com

Interesting and realistic in some ways

Author: cajviener from United States
2 March 2012

If you play or played hockey before, this movie is enjoyable and realistic in some ways. Goon shows realistic elements such as how teams work together and each player has a role. There is a lot of fighting, reminiscent of hockey in the early 1990s. The script is bad but the direction and actors' tone and emotion portrayed is strong and semi-realistic. This is supposed to be a comedy but is in fact more like real life with several out-sized elements. Like a drama set in the world it takes place in, men playing a child's game for money, risking real life consequences, and facing trade-offs to keep their place in that world with no back up plans to speak of. So how is that funny? Pluses are that the subject was hockey, goons are shown respect, the team works together and that is shown as a positive. Minuses to fake sounding conversations and Jay Baruchels character, whose lines are needlessly distracting and border on blatant scene stealing. Seann William Scott as Doug Glatt and Liev Schrieber as Rhea both did a great job, as does the Halifax coach, the Laflamme character and the girlfriend. The use of profanity has been discussed as being realistic to the game...yes and no. The profanity in the movie is played for laughs and if you are over 25 you have probably already had enough of that. The film takes place at least 15 years ahead of Slap Shot in real hockey time, and is set in the present in terms of equipment and technology. The players were not very aggressive for pros, and except for the goons and Laflamme they were portrayed as unfocused losers. This is jarring in contrast to the team as a whole being portrayed as close to making the playoffs, which does not seem possible with those players. Even looking at these negatives, the positives are strong and this is a must see movie if you like hockey. Go see it.

Goon gets 3 Hat Tricks (Yeah I thought that one through)

Author: bisson_5
28 February 2012

A Goon is a pro hockey player that does nothing but big hits, big fights, and racks up a lot of penalty minutes. Pretty much every hockey team in the world has one Goon on their team.

I am one of the biggest hockey fans you will ever know and I will admit the hockey world has been waiting for a hockey movie like this ever since the 1977s Slap Shot starring Paul Newman.

Goon is a hilarious movie that every hockey fan would love I would not recommend it for children because of the language, I would also say the fighting but that would be like saying you never saw a fight during a hockey game.

I would not compare this movie to the Mighty Ducks Trilogy, Mystery Alaska, and Miracle. Believe it or not it is based on a true story of a hockey player who played in the Novia Scotia league who was a Goon who had 0G 0A and had over 300 Penalty Minutes because all he did was fight.

In conclusion if you are a hockey fan or just want to see a fall out of your chair comedy about hockey, Goon is the right movie for you.