IMDb > Goon (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Goon

Goon More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I have not been out of my seat cheering since Rocky when I was a kid and people actually stood up and clapped.

Author: pisceswoman from United States
27 May 2012

This movie...I was not ready for it. I've been seen good movies, funny but this is exactly yup my ally! It was So refreshing to get so excited and lost in the movie.Routing for the tough guy with the huge heart, now that kicked A!

I haven't seen such an exciting movie in SO LONG! I was on the edge of my seat, cheering, routing. You name it! Seann William Scott was PERFECT in this role.

First off, my personal opinion, I like to see a good fight and hockey today has tamed down so much..well it takes the "fun" out of it for me..I do route for my home team still.

BUT..This is the Hockey I WANNA See!

EVERYONE in this movie was Great.

I think the little "love thing" going on was good, it played a major role in his characters personal life.

A gentleman and a Brute! Gotta Love It! That's a man I'd want in my corner for sure!

Does anyone remember those days back in the late 70's early 80's when people actually applauded? I saw Rocky as a little kid and people were out of the seats in the theater. It Rocked!

Yeah I know, "they" can't see or hear you, but when did it become "taboo" with a bunch of "tight..A's w/sticks up their butts" that wouldn't dare applaud. OOH the humanity!

Going to the movies has changed so much over the years. Too expensive and not much originality out there. That used to be the only thing to do when I was growing up and now kids can't afford it. Sad.

Anyhow...

If you're ever in Philly, PA and you hear a nutty woman cheering and applauding..it will most likely be me. :-) I do respect others and wouldn't get in anyone's way. Like some...mostly cell phone people now.

SEE this movie if you love Hard Core Hockey, Reality of the Athletes behind the scenes and a guy who just loves the game, who just happens to have a big heart. He is grateful for the chance to play and BEAT UP people for disrespecting others, when it's well deserved! In no way does "his big heart" distract you from the excitement..you get drawn into his character.

I LOVED IT!

All the making of a good film, and executes it almost to perfection.

Author: zanegoldy from United States
8 April 2012

Goon has a certain uniqueness to it, it has all the aspects of a good film and it is a good film. It is fun, and very heartfelt. I love this character, and actually felt for him. Maybe sometimes Sean William Scott occasionally put to much out there, reinforces that you are supposed to like this character maybe too much, but still he does it well. Me personally I know hockey, I watch it and know the rules. Near the end especially they there are things that you just don't believe would happen, but then again it is a comedy and no one said it had to be realistic. I also have to comment on how brutal the fights were for a comedy. I mean Jesus they were intense, harsh fights. All around good comedy got all that it could out of it, and that was a lot. Good main character, supporting cast, and directing. 9.5/10

Funnily. Enough.I.Was.Kept.Entertained.

Author: ravensteals from Mountains in Spain
24 March 2012

I know this movie looks terrible, and in a way it is terrible but it is also good at the same time. I really thought I would have to suffer through it - but found I really enjoyed it. The dialog is quirky and of course Seann William Scott is very funny. He has changed rather a lot since ' Welcome to the Jungle' thou .... much bigger built now... not so high school skinny... This movie is not the best movie out there but its far from the worst. I was kept very entertained and even laughed aloud with some parts... It was different. It was Funny. It wasn't the big disaster I thought it would be. So am quite pleased with the efforts made on this... and through the violence it was sweet and cuddly! Remarkable piece of well made nonsense! Gotta give this high points for effort and scrip-writing and of course casting. I think they should give Oscars out to the people who *cast the actors! I think that would make more sense, if they hadn't casted that exact person - the movie probably would not be as *good as good movies are..... and probably would not be up for Oscar anyway... Give credit to those 'casters' they are amazing (some of them).......... !!! Watch GOON and be entertained! :)

A few things wrong, but a solid movie.

Author: blacky55 from United States
23 March 2012

Just watched this last night. I can say that it wasn't a great movie but I wasn't mad I watched it. I am not going to run through the entire plot just mention some things, positive and negative, that stood out to me.

Positives:

I really like Liev Schreiber's character. The movie didn't fall into the cliché of making him the asshole antagonist. The movie played its card early letting us guess that an eventual clash would occur between Glatt (Sean William Scott) and Rhea(Liev Schreiber). It did a good job with their path's to the final confrontation. I found it more believable than most movies.

It used a lot of the typical sport movie clichés, but handled them well. The team had to win the final game to make it to the playoffs, and the team broken in the beginning but coming together in the end. It did them well by underselling these and making them almost minor subplots. I was worried the culmination of the film would be Glatt scoring the winning goal like a typical sports movie, but I was impressed that the climax was the one-on-one duel between Glatt and Rhea. The team winning became somewhat of a loose end they tied up in last few seconds, which I thought was refreshing.

There were a few solid moments of comedy and not just poor slapstick jokes or dirty humor as you would expect from a Sean William Scott movie. The part that comes to mind is the teams captain (Richard Clarkin) trying to motivate the team by relating the impending match and the other team to his divorce.

The movie is short and moves at a great pace. Running time 92 minutes and though I wasn't always laughing, I was never bored.

Negatives:

Sean William Scott and Jay Baruchel. In the movie, Scott plays the unintelligent Glatt. He came off as unbelievably dumb. I think the writers (Baruchel is one of them) wanted to go for a likable simple minded man, trying for a Forest Gump type character. The problem is they made the dialog too dumb and it was grating.

It was nowhere close to the horribleness of Baruchel's character. Ryan is the foul mouthed blogger and possibly TV host. The movie doesn't explain much about Ryan, he is just in the movie to record a video of Glatt that lands him a tryout. Baruchel has a horrible Boston accent and has the worst foul jokes. Thankfully it would seem that he only plays a small part in the beginning, but of course returns for the final act.

I am curious to the handling of Glatt's family played by Eugene Levy (dad), Ellen David (mom), and David Paetkau (homosexual brother). The start of the movie seems to allude that the relationship between Glatt, his father, and his brother will play a major role in the plot, yet it is only addressed in a few very short scenes with not resolution.

Glatt and his father have the typical, "I disapprove of your career" relationship. It comes up once at a dinner after Glatt has established himself as somewhat of a star for the team, where his father demonstrates his disgust by leaving dinner abruptly. This is I suppose resolved by his dad showing up to the final game and cheering. I am being a bit of a hypocrite in complaining about this, yet applauding the movie for not traveling to far down the typical sports movie clichés. The fact that the movie took the time to establish the family, but never really used them bothered me a bit.

The brother being homosexual seemed to be another plot piece that was established early, but really only served to be motivation for Glatt to fight in the beginning of the movie, as a result of a hockey player making a general comment about homosexuality. There was a funny moment at the start of the movie of the family coming out of the synagogue where Eugene Levy is trying to explain to a friend that Paetkau is only friends with a random guy, until they hug and kiss.

I also didn't care about the relationship between Glatt and Eva (Alison Pill). It was neither good or bad, it was forgettable. I didn't think it added to the movie.

Conclusion:

Don't take the 6/10 as a poor review. The movie was average because of some poor dialog, characters, and general mistakes. I am not mad I took the time to watch it though. It is short, well paced, and I was able to overlook all the mistakes and still pull for the hero. The final fight was very well done. It had a great lead-up and made for a solid ending. It just had a few many flaws to push it too a great movie.

For a huge hockey fan like me this is an instant classic. Funnier then "Slap Shot". Watch this, very very funny. I give it a B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
22 March 2012

"You're not here to play hockey, you're here to fight." Doug Glatt's(Scott) life is going nowhere. His parents are not proud of him and he doesn't like his bouncing job. When him and his friend Ryan (Baruchel) go to a local hockey game to relax Doug gets into a fight with a player. After the coach sees the fight he signs Doug to the team. He has now found a purpose in life...a hockey goon. I have to admit that I am a huge hockey fan. Growing up in Detroit and having half my family from Montreal you could say it's in my blood. I really liked the movie "Slap Shot" but until now there has never really been a great hockey comedy. This ranks up with "Major League" in terms of great sports comedies. Not only does this movie have great quotable lines and great fight scenes it also has heart. I don't know if it was the hockey fan in me but I really liked this movie and laughed all the way through, plus it's a true story which makes it that much better. Overall, if you liked "Slap Shot" you will love this movie. To me it's an instant classic sports comedy. Very funny. I give it a B+

One of the best comedies I've seen in the past 5 years.

Author: Amanda Mellott from London, Ontario
18 March 2012

I laughed almost non-stop through this movie. It was exciting, fun, hilarious, and the characters were well written. Sound track was pretty decent too.

The only thing I would have changed was not made Doug so dumb, he was painfully, hard to watch, dumb. But... bad ass!

The theater was roaring with laughter. I can't be sure that I would have liked it as much if I wasn't Canadian, but I didn't think I'd like it at all considering I don't like hockey. I know nothing of Hockey and it didn't stop me from loving this movie. So perhaps me being Canadian has nothing to do with it either.

My husband, liked that it showed the small Canadian cities but that meant nothing to me. Although I did have to laugh at the accents.

Paul Newman would be proud.

Author: mattwilkins1 from Calgary, AB
15 March 2012

This is the Slapshot of this decade. Indeed, many of its aspects could almost be seen as an homage to the Newman classic. We see neurotic Goaltenders, strange foreign players, and the off-ice boozing and womanizing. that were the hallmark of Slapshot. Gritty, witty and full of inside jokes for Hockey aficionados. The film neatly coalesces the many stereotypes people have of various types of hockey player, without pigeon-holing the characters into a purely caricature environment.

Seann William Scott is utterly believable in the role inspired by Doug "The Hammer" Smith. His slow-witted but earnest and intensely loyal character is played with conviction, humour and sensitivity without becoming a parody of itself. A fine balance that Scott maintains throughout the film. Liev Schreiber is likable and fearsome at the same time as the hero's fist-wielding nemesis.

A good knowledge of hockey rituals, traditions, famous anecdotes and the unwritten rules the players have for policing each other on the ice will add to the enjoyment, but there's plenty of entertainment for those who aren't students of the sport, as well.

Cameos by a couple of NHL players - most notably Georges Laraque - add a nice finishing touch to a fun and engrossing classic sports underdog flick.

It's unfortunate that filmmakers are often unwilling to license real team and league names for their films. The made-up NHL teams and phoney Eastern league name tend to jar one out of the film and into reality at unfortunate moments. Also, people really need to step away from using Eugene Levy as the dyed-in-the-wool nerdy Jewish father. Typecasting is fine for teen road trip comedies, but more dramatic efforts need a more dramatic actor.

Aside from these distractions, though, the movie comes together solidly.

Slap Shot meets Youngblood

Author: midgetalan from United Kingdom
13 March 2012

As my title states I think this movie does a pretty good job of bringing 70's & 80's hockey passion into the Millennium.

Never been much of a Sean William Scott fan but he's passable as Doug "The Thug" Glatt. Liev Scrieber's character of Ross "The Boss" Rhea is more palatable and if your a hockey player or enthusiast then you'll relate to his role a lot more.

For me Slap Shot was and always will be the #1 hockey movie ever, but this won't be out of place as my #2, just pipping Youngblood.

Would've liked to have seen a bit more involvement from Eugene Levy as Doug's Dad, didn't really see what point he played in the film to be honest. Also Doug's "love interest" wasn't much cop either. If they'd steered away from the silly sub-plots of hometown bot does good or nice guys CAN finish first etc then you'd have more of a "balls to the wall" hockey flick for the hardcore viewer. That said, 7/10 for a subject that will always struggle to get bums on seats, whether it's the comedy of the year or a docu-drama that pulls on the heart strings.

I'd personally like to see the equivalent of Any Given Sunday (NFL Football) with an NHL hockey theme, making use of a high profile cast also.

just above average

Author: deatman9 from Canada
30 May 2012

This movie is not bad at all but it is definitely nothing special. It has some pretty good acting by all the cast and some good scenes but it has a lack of a good plot and script.

This movie is about under achieveing bouncer doug who finds out he is a great hockey fighter. So a hockey team takes him on as their "goon" someone who just fights. As he plays he continues to get better and becomes a real hockey player.

This movie is not bad but its not really funny. There is a couple chuckles here and there but the script in my opinion is poor. Gratuitous laungage and not many jokes make it poor in my mind.

Over all not bad movie worth watching if you like hockey and are Canadian otherwise i wouldn't recommend it.

A nice easy hockey movie :)

Author: Adam Dolezalek from Canada
27 February 2012

Having grown up with Slapshot (1) as probably the only hockey movie that ever really depicted what goes on behind the curtains in semi-pro hockey, I was a bit hesitant as to what to expect here especially considering who the main protagonist is and his recent track record.

To keep a long story short, I enjoyed it! It's a nice & simple movie about a "loser" that gets a chance to play hockey and how everything plays out for him. I definitely recommend it for anyone who loves hockey and for anyone who wants to enjoy a few mindless chuckles at home with popcorn, or while prepping your hockey equipment for the next game :D

PS - Kinda surprised at a few of the rants here against this movie... It's not entirely a fictional account and the hockey basis of the movie is very much about Doug Smith and his rise to the NHL back in the 80's.

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]