IMDb > The Help (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Help

The Help More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 45: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Not Believable

Author: augurar from United States
18 November 2011

I thought that this movie was supposed to be set in the American South in the 1960s. But really it seems to be set in an alternate universe where nothing makes any sense. How is it that the protagonist has grown up in the same society as all the other (racist) women, yet has a completely modern, 21st century viewpoint? Things just don't work that way.

Racism in the movie was portrayed as a pervasive but ultimately trivial issue. The movie reduced racism to the petty meanness of society ladies, largely skirting issues such as sexual harassment and mob violence. We have one scene of police brutality and another scene with a vague reference to a shooting, but these events seem to come out of nowhere and vanish without a trace afterward. What happens to the woman who is arrested, after the arrest? We never find out.

Another thing that bothered me about this movie was how the black women are portrayed as largely feeble and helpless until the white women ("Skeeter" and Celia, in particular) teach them to stand up for themselves. This was partly due to the fact that the movie was, first and foremost, about Eugenia's coming-of-age experience and not about "the help" at all. But still, it was dissatisfying.

In addition to these issues, the characterization was rather poor and the cinematography was nothing special.

I wish I were more well-versed in history, so I really lay into this movie properly. But even as my uninformed self, I could tell that there were many things wrong with this movie. Not recommended.

The Help

Author: lynnrosas from United States
12 August 2011

Absolutely the best movie of the last few years. Loved it. Laughed, cried, related, remembered, and remember Martin Luther King's speech I have a dream. This is an awesome movie everyone should see. Racism is disgusting and should never be. This movie was so good and had such a great message I didn't want it to end. I grew up with racist parents and grandparents and I can tell you I could very well have ended up prejudice but I hated it then and I hate it now. We make choices in life if we are going to do right or wrong and we all bleed red. If people can't get along on earth what makes anyone think God wants them in heaven? This was wonderful how they presented what was still going on in the 60s. I saw the racism and hatred with the watts riots, the tension in Long Beach, and the hatred from both sides. This movie was presented so good and had such great aspects to it that it was the one movie in hundreds I have seen that I would even want to give a review on. Acting great, story great, and even if it was just a presentation of what things went on and might not have been about a particular family...this was pretty darn accurate by what I lived through in the 60s. Thanks for the movie. It was a delight to watch and I give it a triple A rating. All families should watch this together and discuss it after because it truly should win every award out there.

Cute but forgettable

Author: CineCritic2517 from The Netherlands
17 October 2011

The Help, based on the novel of the same title, deals with the rise of the black help in the 60's in the overall quest for equality between the races and more specifically the equality of civil liberties. The film plays out as a neat 3-acter with barely any surprises along the way. For a film dealing with these sorts of issues it is surprisingly black and white and straightforward. The soundtrack is nothing more than sugarcoating for the overly pretty sceneries and often annoys. Some roughness to the film seems sorely lacking, it almost plays out like a cartoon. Fans of the film should also want to check out the 2007 film 'The Great Debaters' (Denzel Washington, Forrest Whitaker) with a comparable premise which suffers from the same, in my opinion, weaknesses.

Totally worth your time!

Author: Hanna Bekkevold from Oslo, Norway
24 November 2015

What I really like about this movie, is the portrayal. It's not just the beautiful dresses they use in that era. It's the point of view we see all this. This movie give us all a little more understanding about the apartheid. We meet this young girl, Skeeter who's brave enough to listen to a voice who's not normally heard. It meant much at that time to not being friends with the "blacks" and Skeeter is then interviewing them anonymously. The movie shows us also the heartbreaking relationship Skeeter have to her "house-helper". She comes to a shock in the movie where she finally gets the explanation why she left. The movie shows some clips about their relationship and it's so heartwarming and so kind. What I also liked about the movie, was that you learn you have to stand up for those who don't have a voice, and how important it is to make a difference, no matter how small or big. What I missed was that some of Skeeter white friends should have stand up and join her in some way. There's much portrayal of what is fair and about consequences. I wished Skeeter's mom would have had a bigger development during the movie. We see that she's all about other opinions about her, and I wished she just gave that up and supported Skeeter in the end. If you see the movie, you will understand all this.

Worth watching and reflect

Author: Geremias Correa from Brazil
23 November 2015

A film with a sensational idea and a good direction. His two and a half hours pass extremely fast, the film holds and excites you to see the whole course of history and consequently the end.

I would say that he sins in places, such as at Skeeter's relationship with Stuart, as well as other things that should not be counted. Common sins in large parts of the movies and that at no time compromises the film.

The performances are very good, especially Emma Stone, Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas and Jessica Chastain, doing striking scenes. The Help is very clever, funny, and yet, extremely critical and sensitizing.

Worth watching and reflect!

A Must Watch Film

Author: Manya086 from United States
17 October 2015

Adapted from Kathryn Stockett's 2009 novel of the same name, The Help is the perfect adaptation. The story is powerful and inspiring, the the cast is simply perfect, and though there are some differences between the film and the book (as there always are with adaptations), The Help is the perfect example on how to adapt a book into a film.

The cast as a whole is amazing. It's great to see Emma Stone show a dramatic side apart for her usual comedic roles. Octavia Spencer is perfect as Minnie Jackson, a role she was born to play; a well deserved Oscar on her part. The rest of the cast played off each other wonderfully. I was entertained throughout the film, there was not a dull moment. I laughed and laughed, and felt sympathetic for some of the characters. I read the book after I watched the film, and it was just as entertaining (with few minor differences). Usually when I read a book that was adapted into a film, the book is better. The Help is the exception, as both are enjoyable.

Overall, The Help is one of those films everyone should watch. It's a part of American history in the 1960s, between white and black. This is a problem we still face today, though we have made some improvement. What makes this film so compelling is that it tells the story from the perspective of the colored maids and the struggles they dealt with. Great storytelling, amazing cast!

Very successful and captivating, but something's missing

Author: Thomas ( from Berlin, Germany
15 September 2015

"The Help" is an American 2.5-hour film from 4 years ago written and directed by Tate Taylor. He did not get that much awards attention, but still this film was one of the big players during awards season 2015, especially for Jessica Chastain, Octavia Spencer, who won an Oscar for it, and Viola Davis who came very close as well. The core topic here is racial equality in the years and decades where it was the biggest issue in America. We follow the lives of a couple Black housemaids from the perspective of Emma Stone's character, who writes a bock on the women's lives. There is one main antagonist played by Bryce Dallas Howard, a racist young woman, and it's a bit of shame that she did not receive real awards attention just like Stone, whose own family and relationship with men plays a crucial role in here as well.

Tate Taylor did a fine job here in letting this not become too serious of a film, but include a couple funny parts as well, such as the famous pie scene of course, or Sissy Spacek's hilarious character or Emma Stone's constant struggles with men. This kept the movie from being just much full of itself and taking itself too seriously. Still, during many parts, it does of course. Spencer, Davis and Chastain all played their parts well, but I am not so sure if they really deserved all the honors they got. To me, it was a good watch and almost never dragged despite the massive runtime, but I felt that in terms of greatness something was missing here and I enjoyed Taylor's next film, the James Brown biopic "Get on Up" at least as much as this one here, even if it did not have the deep political and racial references of "The Help". Still, I would call "The Help" a good watch, even if I do not consider it one of the finest films of 2011.

The voice of black maids in the early 60s

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
12 September 2015

That pretty much sums up 2011's heralded "The Help," which stars Emma Stone as an aspiring journalist who encourages black maids (Viola Davis & Octavia Spencer) to chronicle their experiences for an article as the Civil Rights Movement kicks into full gear in 1963 Jackson, Mississippi. Bryce Dallas Howard is on hand as the uppity biyatch and Jessica Chastain plays an amiable Marilyn Monroe-ish housewife.

I like films that involve rural blacks, like "Mississippi Burning" (1988) and "Waterproof" (2000), and "The Help" falls into this category. The movie provides a window into early 60's Southern culture and the plight of black women. Despite being snooty, Bryce looks great and Jessica looks even better, nice and curvy (she reportedly gained 15 lbs. for the role, which I wish she'd keep). Emma is effective as the protagonist, but she's too good-looking to for the role since it calls for an early 20s woman who's never been asked out on a date. Why sure! Nevertheless, this is a solid period drama with authentic Mississippian locations.

The movie runs 146 minutes and was shot in Clarksdale, Greenwood and Jackson, Mississippi.

We all need each other.

Author: Filipe Neto from Portugal
11 September 2015

This film tells Skeeter Phelan's efforts to write a book based on interviews and testimonies of black servants serving in the homes of wealthy white families of Mississippi. Directed by Tate Taylor (who is also responsible for screenplay, based on the Kathryn Stockett's novel), the film has the participation of Emma Stone (Skeeter), Viola Davis (the servant Aibileen), Octavia Spencer (the servant Minny) and a number of talented actresses.

This film deals with interesting questions, starting with the race issue, which is still a ghost hovering over the US, and the issue of civil rights and the rights of employer over the employee. From there, the film gives us to know moments in the life of these servants and we see that, in spite of their humility, they're essential for those families, where women have the appearance of not even knowing fry an egg. The cast fulfills its mission very well but without surprise us with supreme interpretations. The only exception is Octavia Spencer, who touches us and moves us in the role of Minny, justly deserving the single Oscar that the film won: Best Supporting Actress.

Our society often doesn't hear the voices of most humble. However, without them, society would fall like a house of cards. We all need each other. This film is about this: humble people in search of a voice, trying to tell their testimony, having right to speak, feel and live.

I loved it.

Author: Nick Dees from Canada
6 September 2015

I watched this movie after seeing it on a list of top movies to watch. And I have to say it is indeed a must watch movie. The story was well written, acting was on point and it had high points as well as sad points.

I like to judge a movie by how many emotions I feel while watching it and how quickly it can make me shift between those emotions. This movie did just that and it was on the ball every time.

Emma Watson was great in her role as was everybody else. Her supporting cast was excellent. If you want to see a movie about the civil right movement that gives you a good perspective of what people on the front lines felt,but that isn't that offensive, this is the one to see. Being from Canada I do not have a lot of first hand knowledge of what took place during that time, but travelling to the South frequently I would like to have a better understanding. This movie let me see the things I already knew but from a different point of view, the human one. I give this film two thumbs up and highly suggest that you watch it to see for yourselves why I am giving it such high praises.