IMDb > The Help (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Help

The Help More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 48: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Cute but forgettable

Author: CineCritic2517 from The Netherlands
17 October 2011

The Help, based on the novel of the same title, deals with the rise of the black help in the 60's in the overall quest for equality between the races and more specifically the equality of civil liberties. The film plays out as a neat 3-acter with barely any surprises along the way. For a film dealing with these sorts of issues it is surprisingly black and white and straightforward. The soundtrack is nothing more than sugarcoating for the overly pretty sceneries and often annoys. Some roughness to the film seems sorely lacking, it almost plays out like a cartoon. Fans of the film should also want to check out the 2007 film 'The Great Debaters' (Denzel Washington, Forrest Whitaker) with a comparable premise which suffers from the same, in my opinion, weaknesses.

wow!!

Author: angeliki markaki (daughterof_forest88) from Greece
26 April 2017

I wanted to see this film earlier,but the length of it made me postpone it.I was wrong.It was so good.It shows how black people are treated by the white and it is so sincere.I wish people weren't so racists.Although we live in the 21st century,nothing has changed since the ages of caves.Women,black people and weak people are treated really bad.I liked that the author was white but in reality no white would lose his/her friends to defend black people.I liked the cake Bryce Dallas Howard ate.It was so funny.Unfortunately,injustice will always prevail.

A beautiful, tear-jerking film

Author: hashbrown
23 April 2017

The Help is an incredibly beautiful film that focuses on the racial injustice of the 60s. The good characters are very likable and the audience can empathize with them very easily as they can connect with the story's emotional impacts. The overall film is one that I cry at every time I watch it. I would definitely recommend this film that has Oscar-worthy acting.

Fantastic Movie that Really Looks at Our Society

Author: creddick-95744
15 April 2017

This movie was fantastic! It was so critical of the 1960s while remaining funny and entertaining. The relationship between Eugenia, Minny, and Aibileen is so heartwarming and beautiful. They lived in a time that discriminated against blacks and women. To be women who took a stand against the injustice they saw and expressed is an example to all. I loved the movie and it's message and will be watching it again.

Eye opening moving film

Author: Davis P from United States
31 March 2017

This film will open your eyes and move you in deep ways. The fantastic acting and writing lifts the whole thing up. The casting is near perfect. Viola Davis is a great actress and she NAILS this role! Octavia Spencer is the best out of all the actors, she's just so intense and you never want to look away whenever she's in a scene, you better believe she's a force to be reckoned with. WELL deserved academy award win! Emma Stone is great here too, very believable performance. And then there's Allison Janney and Sissy Spacek, who both really impressed me with their portrayals of their characters. And Bryce Dallas Howard was incredible in her sinister nasty role of Hilly Hollbrook. Oh and you cannot forget about Jessica chastain! Her portrayal of Celia Foote is near perfection, so down to earth and kind, a true lamb among wolves. The movie does a masterful job at telling these African American maids stories and seeing how the disgraceful conditions that were present in those times really affected people. The writing and the acting combines in an effective way, the two things are just so great here that when you put them together it almost knocks you back lol. The scenes are wonderfully directed and have perfect timing. The character depth is ever deep and you are left very satisfied. Each character's story gets resolved in some way and you are left also feeling refreshed and renewed when this film comes to an end. 10/10 for The Help!! If you haven't seen this moving powerful movie, then what the hell are you waiting for?!! Afterwards have yourself some freshly fried chicken with some chocolate pie for desert ;)

That you now this things happened

Author: flensje from Leeuwarden, Netherlanda
17 March 2017

An Movie that told a Story about black women who stood up for themselves. I think the team shows on a good and impressive way how the black people make true, even in the 60's and in some places even now. The choice for the actors was a good choice. It look like they live in that time en they came of the screen with a lot of confidence. They give you a good feeling so you understand where the movie is about. Even with a bit of humor.

I Couldn't Stop Crying

Author: girlfriendshour from Cleveland
16 March 2017

This was so wonderful showing both side black and white, I couldn't stop crying. Viola is my hero and love all her work. She takes you with her in whatever part she plays. The whole cast was awesome. I couldn't believe there are people still living like this. I would recommend this movie to see.

Watch First, Judge Later

Author: zkonedog from United States
10 March 2017

Despite "The Help" being nominated for many Academy Awards, it took me a long time to pop it into my Blu-Ray player. Why? Because I was worried that the racial message would be too preachy or political, and I cannot stand those types of films. When I finally did view the picture, however, I was pleasantly surprised by its straightforward nature.

For a basic plot summary, this story takes place in the 1960s deep South (Jackson, Mississippi, to be exact), where Southern Belles like Hilly Holbrook (Bryce Dallas Howard) hire black maids to do their housework and raise their children. The maids are treated with little respect and given no rights whatsoever. When young Skeeter (Emma Stone), an aspiring journalist, comes home to Jackson after graduating college, she begins to see how wrongly the maids are being treated. In secret, she begins collaborating with Aibileen (Viola Davis) & Minnie (Octavia Spencer) to write a book espousing "their side of the story".

There are two primary reasons why this movie is so gripping and enjoyable:

First, of course, is the heartfelt story. I honestly do not know how close to reality the stories fall, but even if a sliver of them are true it is still a story that needs to be told. Racially-themed films can be a touchy subject, but "The Help" doesn't get too preachy or overly political. Instead, it focuses squarely on the players at hand, the right move for this type of film.

Secondly, this is a period piece almost unlike any other. Thanks to the incredible acting and period music/clothing/sets, you will feel transported into that time period for the duration of viewing. Combine the racial aspects of Denzel Washington's "The Great Debaters" with the Southern feel of "Walk The Line" and one would be close to describing the overall ambiance of "The Help".

On a quick note, I don't quite understand why Emma Stone was not given more "Academy love" for her performance. Though the two primary maids (Spencer & Davis) are spot-on as well, it truly is Stone who carries the movie along. She is one of the best actresses in Hollywood today and her performance alone in "The Help" is reason enough to give it a try.

Thus, I really don't have too much bad to say about "The Help". It made me think, transported me to another era, and got me emotionally invested in the characters. With the possible grey area of being "based on true events", what more can a film accomplish?

:-)

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
1 March 2017

This was a brilliant film about life in the segregated 1960s America. A lady in Mississippi named Skeeter decided to write a book about the "Help" given by black servants, and, boy, does she get enough help! The movie is dedicated to her character, the black ladies in the film, and all the perspective she gains from them while writing it. She also interacts well from the other people in it.

This has an an impressive cast with Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis, and others. I loved the final scene and the s*** pie scene. This is a must-view for anyone and very realistic. I loved it and so will you.

*** 1/2 out of ****

No summary

Author: kaponikolou from Athens
28 February 2017

A very well developed story. It is definitely bound to move you and it puts across beautiful messages that defy any racist stereotype about colored people. I recommend it to anyone who is fond of social movies and want a happy, funny and cozy film with tremendous meaning behind it though.