IMDb > The Help (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Help

The Help More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Brilliant !

Author: hermeoine12 from India
19 June 2014

This movie will hold a special glue to anyone who has been a Gone With The Wind fan , for the rest it just might simulate them to revisit those history lessons . The film is brilliantly cast , there being not a single dull moment. The film revolves around three very different women who form an unlikely friendship in their quest for a common goal. It is much more then just being about the state of events in the 1950s at the South .Its a portrayal of a waning tradition that still grips the peninsula even after a century of the Civil War which was fought to abolish the exact same custom. It raises serious issues - demarcation of people based on skin color , making another human being walk in incessant rain rather than allowing her(it?) to use one's own bathroom , makes us reflect that we still aren't very far along the vicious prejudice. The movie also touches upon how the untarnished mind of a child is capable to love the same person he would grow up to walk all over on, of how society can be a venomous influence in conditioning the brain on so much discrimination. In the end it also hints that even after being subjected to centuries of venom , the heart still has the capability to love, that there is still hope for all of us.

Film Journal Review

Author: Danil Beekman from Manchester
17 June 2014

Perfect. A movie about the civil rights movement in the 1960's responds with a light hearted approach to the chaos whilst conjunctively addressing the hardship of 'The Help'. Whilst the in-story author requires help from the help, to right about the Help may seem disorienting, Tate Taylor (Director) does this in a way that no other Director seems to be able to do correctly. Great camera work located at about 30 minutes, where the camera spirals upwards, following Emma Stone up the spiral staircase is a shot that has been remembered by myself and is something I look for within movies today. However, this shot and the shot at the end credits place it comfortably - in my books, as the shot which is on par with final shot from 'The Passenger'. The end credits in particular allow the actors the right of recognition which they all deserve. Keeping to the underlying message right down to the point. A film which is undeniably rare for our time, a perfect 10 out of 10, 5 out of 5, masterpiece.

MY REVIEW: Help Yourself, Watch This Good One!!

Author: Sandeep Gupta from Jaipur, India
2 March 2014

The Help. An aspiring author played by pretty Emma Stone during the civil rights movement of the 1960s decides to write a book detailing the African-American maids' point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis. Subject is sensitive but treatment is not. In fact most of the time it is balanced, comical take on the racism that makes it an easy watch rather a shocking watch. If we talk about performances, Octavia Spencer treats big time with her delightful portrayal of Minny Jackson for which she was awarded an Oscar. Viola Davis also stands tall with her sincere portrayal of Aibileen Clark. Whole movie is crafted like a girl's movie so there is very less for male actors to show-off here. Movie makes its point but never hits you hard so you may not think much about what you experienced after end credits have gone down. Nevertheless, it's nicely crafted easy watch.

A great mosaic of well-developed characters and good performances

Author: jackasstrange from United States
18 February 2014

I wasn't expecting too much from 'The Help', 'cause I dislike most of the Oscars Best Picture nominees from 2011, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finished to watch The Help. It isn't s film with great depth, and it really isn't an accurate depiction of a gritty ambient full of racial tensions; but the story itself has good intentions and succeeds in developing so many characters that it alone makes it deserving of my praise. And the acting was very good, I mean, everyone did a good job. Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas-Howard and in a high level Viola Davis and Jessica Chainstain. I consider Spencer performance to be a bit overrated since she wasn't even the best supporting actress on the film. Davis was great,forced but she showed great range.

I liked the art direction too, very pleasant and eye-candy. And while I disliked the exaggerated vilification of Howard's character, the film showed a somewhat Spielberg-esque style:A drama that never takes itself too seriously. Sometimes it works , and that was the case of The Help. Maybe because the story is very sad and dark after all, so the moments more 'up' are needed to not scare the 'mainstrean' audience. I think if the film had used the real ambient whose the book it was based on was set, the critics would probably love it and admire it's guts and the realism. But since it choose to be a 'lighter' version of the events, it wasn't well received. Well, I personally liked it for what it is. A great mosaic of well developed characters whose connections are the friendship and the racism. A harsh time. Being said, I recommend this film. 7.5/10

Eat My S**t!

Author: makri97 (makri97@gmail.com) from Stord Island, Hordaland, Norway
10 January 2014

Let me start with the actors. The cast in "The Help" is chosen perfectly. Emma Stone fits excellent as the main character (a white girl with a strong hart that wants change in the racist society). Octavia Spencer won an Oscar, a golden globe, a BAFTA and many other awards for best performance by an actress in a supporting role as Minny Jackson. Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain are also actors that were perfectly casted in this movie. I cannot think of anybody else that could fit their roles better. Kerry Barden and Paul Schnee did a very good job as casting directors.

During the civil rights movements of the 1960s in Mississippi, the young author, Skeeter Phelan (Emma Stone) decides to write a book. The book is about the life of an African-American maid that works for white families. She interviews a collard housemaid in secret and writes her point of view of how the white family treats her. While all Skeeters white friends expects her to marry a white man and have kids, she cares more about writing the book that no one of them knows anything about.

It is not a comedy, but there are some scenes in the movie that will make you laugh out loud. The movie shows how the society was in the 60s in a realistic way. Back in the 1950-60s, black people was looked at, as they were worth nothing, they could not even sit were they wanted on the buss.

The reason I didn't like this movie as much as the average, may be because I am not a fan of the genre "drama". The Help was Oscar nominated for best picture in 2011. I will recommend this movie for people that are interested in how the society was at the 60s and if you like drama, this is definitely a movie for you.

inspiration 9 - entertainment 7 Great movie

Author: ramdi from cosmic grain
22 November 2013

Wow! I thought this was just another family or personal race based drama the likest of George Wallace. Boy was I in for a surprise. This film grips you all the way from the start with great acting by brilliantly cast actresses that are sure to surprise you with their performance. A blend of down-to-earth super realistic scenes and funny to hilarious ones, daily and social situational and emotionally engaging, strike that, moving! moments that are as good as they are motivational and inspirational. This is no chic flick, This is a well rounded drama that will restore your faith in the good in people and make you want to be a better human being-to your fellow man.

If You Ask Me, I'll Vote For The Book.... ♦ 69%

Author: Tejas Nair from Economic Capital Of India
17 November 2013

...and work to make the movie non-existent. That is the degree of justice it does to the book and not speaking about the minor changes the film has done in the plot. But that's not the point and if I had to rate this idiosyncratically, it is a good film.

The cast is outstanding... I mean this could just be the film with the cast who are totally into their respective characters of the book. I loved Bryce Dallas Howard & Octavia Specner, but who really stood out with her portrayal is Jessica Chasatin (I have watched Mama & ZD30, but this is just too impressive of her). Fantastic! And the music is great, too. What troubled me is the screenplay and when it skipped elements like it had a time constraint it felt bad. But I understand how the editor might have had terrible nights editing it into reason. The costumes are fine and my appreciation to the art crew.

Tate Tylor had no reason to adapt the sensational book, but since it has been I'd give it a one-time watch. And the minor changes I mentioned before actually work for the movie. And let me take this opportunity to ask all the people to read the book so that you LOL & produce ire at the same time about the much-discussed topic. It is one of the most enjoyable books I've read.

BOTTOM LINE: It was real treat to watch the words of the book go real on reel and I am happy the cast was able. Recommended for people who haven't read the book. For others, read it first and skip the film.

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? YES

profanity/Vulgarity: Mild | Sex/Nudity/Foreplay: No | Mouth-Kiss: Mild | Violence/Gore: No | Smoking/Alcohol: Strong

Maid to order

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
10 October 2013

The Help is a film about Black maids in a small Mississippi town set in the early 1960s. You gather that as the news covers the funeral of JFK at one point.

The film is set on the eve of the civil rights era then but such things move slowly in the Southern states and here we have black women who practically raise the white kids from infants onwards and as they grow up they become like their parents including the prejudice and the cycle starts again as the maid raise their kids.

Even though the discriminatory behaviour has been toned down for the film, part of it still feels very uneasy although in reality things were probably a lot worse for real life maids.

Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer stand out from the cast as two of the maids. Also good performances from Jessica Chastain, Bryce Dallas Howard and Emma Stone.

It may not be as powerful as you think it would be. Given that it seems to be aimed at a female audience you get the feeling the director did not want to cross a certain line and make it more hard hitting.

Its funny as well as emotional and an interesting tale.

Powerful Acting!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
11 March 2013

In order for a movie to be good, there has to be some good acting. I'm glad to say that this film, The Help has exceptional acting and that is why it's such a great movie. At first, I was skeptical of seeing this but after the great word-of-mouth this film has been spreading, I thought it was time for me to check it out. As a movie that deals with racism, it's dialed down a notch but it's still powerful nonetheless.

This film is about a 23-year-old, white Mississippi girl who wanted to change the lives of black people for the better. She decides to interview some maids, Abileen and Minny so she can tell the world their lives from their points of view.

The acting is just beyond belief. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer led this movie with their powerful performances as the slaves. Jessica Chastain is certainly making a name for herself. I can say the same for Emma Stone as well. I also loved the evilness by Bryce Dallas Howard as Hilly because I just loathed the character in the movie.

Overall, this is a great, powerful film that will have you cheering at some moments and in tears in other moments. I won't give anything away, but I loved that one scene that involved a funny confrontation between Hilly and Minny. I think that also made this movie great because of some unexpected humor. I rate this film 9/10.

Heartful Story With Oscars Coming Its Way

Author: eric262003 from Canada
3 September 2012

I guess it came at no surprise that "The Help" was going to garner some awards during Oscar time. But the big winners went to those who brought their tickets to see this brilliant movie. The riveting performances by Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer will make your melt faster than a snowball in a microwave with their scintillating performances. I was a bit disappointed with the DVD because there was a lackluster of bonus material. In addition to that over four minutes of scenes were deleted. All we get is a five minute music video, which makes me cringe because I felt cheated when I purchased the DVD. If that's the case then I advise everyone who missed the movie I'd say skip the DVD and watch the movie on your local movie stations. It's still a quintessential movie that's rich in story and detail and something you shouldn't miss.

I had the honour to see the opening matinée last year and I saw it a few more times after that. It really is that special. It's doubtful if there is any accuracy behind this movie based on the epicenter era of the civil rights movement came into fruition. The script compliments Kathryn Stockett's best selling novel and if you liked the movie, you will absolutely enjoy. The story of three dynamic women in Mississippi is likely to keep readers and viewers intrigued. The central plot of writing a book that exploits the dark truth about the racial intentions in the city of Jackson upper class Caucasian's and their subservient black helpers by keeping it low-profile so that retribution does not come towards them.

The humor was customized in the way the upper-class socialites from Jackson behaved and their initial reaction once this novel has been published. Bryce Dallas Howard was the perfect choice for the leading antagonist Hilly. Sure she was not sore on the eyes, Hilly was still the definitive character you just purely love to despise. Jessica Chastain was amazing in her scene stealing performance as Celia as she successfully tries to keep it real. Viola Davis was drop-dead gorgeous and shapely figured as Aibileen even though from the book I was given the impression of her being frumpy and out of shape, but I'm not complaining. Octavia Spencer was right on the Minny...I mean money as she just nails her role and the interviews she gives is very captivating. The hidden secrets behind Skeeter's (Emma Stone) childhood maid was a more integral part of the the plot from the novel. The casting was really sublime and it was great to see small roles from veteran performers like Sissy Spacek, Cecily Tyson and Mary Steenburgen.

From reading the book to watching the movie there is one thing a did on both occasions. I rooted for this dynamic triad an hoped that they all have a happy ending and overcoming all obstacles that get in their way. The movie and the performances look and feel so believable you never ponder for a minute that it is a work of fiction But for those who want 100% accuracy, i suggest you watch a documentary of the South during the Civil Rights Movements or to spend time and speak to someone who lived in that era.

If you're looking for that one movie that will truly move you, then "The Help" should really fit that bill. This film is as equally intriguing with a script that's equally as poignant as the book and the performers played out their respected roles subliminally. it doesn't matter if you read the book or seen the movie first on both accounts you are in for a real treat.