IMDb > The Help (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Help

The Help More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The Help What A Fabulous Film

Author: magical-kingdom from United States
28 June 2015

This film is phenomenal. Truly one of the best I've seen in a long time and I attend movies weekly. It's an inspirational, courageous and empowering story about very different extraordinary women in the 1960s South who build an unlikely friendship around a secret writing project that breaks society's rules and puts them at risk.

The movie is filled with poignancy, humor and hope. Also brings forward messages that all audiences should take heed of, regarding who we are as people,skin color is not a factor.

All performances were outstanding,deserving of even more public recognition, awards and credits received. Should have won the Academy Award for sure.

I saw this movie a few years ago but can still convey to friends and acquaintances my favorite scenes that made such a lasting impression on me. Mostly those with a comedic flair that packed such a powerful statement.

Help Yourselves to This Rousing Tale!

Author: sandnair87 from India
25 March 2015

An inspirational drama, The Help (a deft adaptation of Kathryn Stockett's best-selling novel) is a rousing film with an endearing heart and subtle poignancy that is sometimes overlooked, but once discovered is a certain crowd-pleaser.

Set in Jackson, Mississippi at the dawn of the Civil Rights movement, Emma Stone plays the plucky, fresh-out-of-college Skeeter, who is just plain enough to stand out in her clique of well-to-do white housewives who, beneath their frivolous goings on, treat their black house- helps like slaves. Aggrieved at the racial bigotry she witnesses, and determined to break into the New York literary world, she resolves to write a book that will allow the town's black maids to give a voice to their experiences. Her idea is met with lucrative publishing prospects, but finding any maid willing to give her the real story is a problem. Viola Davis plays Aibileen Clark, who carries a sorrow that is only partly built from a lifetime of servitude. She has lost her own child to racial prejudice and is faced with the growing horrors of racism every single day at work. Then there is her feisty, too-sassy-to-suffer-forever friend Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer) who undergoes similar humiliation at the hands of the meticulously- coiffed society princess Miss Hilly (Bryce Dallas Howard). Although with some trepidation, the two finally open up to Skeeter and once they do, the other maids join in and stories begin flowing. Soon, through clandestine meetings, they manage to start something that becomes a force of real change!

The Help paints its characters, black and white alike, with a very broad bush that adroitly pushes the audience's buttons to elicit laughter and tears. On the surface, The Help might seem like another discourse on the evils of racism. But look closer and you will find that it is a much more complex tale. While the story takes place at a time of seismic social upheaval, racism is just a sidelight in a story that centers on the commonalities that the women faced in the repressive air that filled the early 1960s. In Tate Taylor's hands, a storyline that could have been mushy and preachy becomes genuinely stirring. He succeeds in creating characters you really care about and delivers its message without resorting to sickly sweet sentimentality or becoming too self-congratulatory.

And then there are the charming performances that give the story such heart. Taylor expertly juggles all the characters and their stories, providing each actress a chance to stand out in a flock of fascinating women. Stone has an innate likability and is sparkling as Skeeter. Howard embodies the hissable Hilly with a vibrant panache. Jessica Chastain delivers the wonderfully tacky, white- trash Celia with flair, giving her pathos and earnestness. Both Allison Janney and Sissy Spacek are faultless in their maternal turns. But it's Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer who breathe life into the movie in their career defining performances. Davis gives Aibileen an elusive truth that jumps off the screen and delivers a perfectly nuanced performance (her hypnotic gaze alone could carry a film). Spencer plays a wonderfully cheeky Minny, offering plenty of comic relief, and a respectable honesty to her sass.

The Help picks its audience up and carries it along in its engrossing, affecting wake: and then, like the best nursemaids, it calms us down with a large spoonful of healing syrup. The Help not only has its 'pie' but eats it too (Pun intended. Be assured, you'll never look at chocolate pie the same way again)!

Disappointing after listening to the audio book

Author: stazie-979-658836
30 January 2015

The audio book version of the novel "The Help" is award-winning, done by 4 (3 main) different actresses that really bring it to life.

I wasn't quite ready to let go of the characters and watched this movie, hoping to prolong the experience. Unfortunately, it's a much over-simplified version of the story and the people involved. The adaptation to be a much shorter on-screen story is not bad - facts and events are shifted around to basically tell the same essential plot.

Overall, I found it kind of cheesy, especially coming from the *excellent* read version, which goes much deeper.

If you're coming to the film without reading/listening to the novel, it's probably more enjoyable.

Author: battleroyalewithcheese from United Kingdom
1 January 2015

Never heard of the novel of the same name before, but it's one I will look at. The Help is about Aibileen a hardworking housekeeper in 1960′s Mississipi, who with the help of local white writer Skeeter Phelan talks about her life as a black servant in a time of extreme racism.

I really liked it. Some parts moving, some insightful, it's a beautiful looking (and sounding – the score is lush throughout) film cinematography to a beautifully serene score. It has the right combination of tear-jerking moments, pathos and humour. A tear in my eye was found.

The female cast are amazing. Bryce Dallas Howard and Sissy Spacek especially, And check out Jessica Chastain who plays Celia Foote – she is BEAUTIFUL and going to be a star.

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
18 November 2014

I finally caught this on TV the other night and stayed up very late because I couldn't shut it off. What a great movie. It definitely lives up to all the hype I remember from award season a couple years ago.

Set in Mississippi during the 1960s, a southern society girl returns from college determined to become a writer and proceeds to turn her friends lives and a Mississippi town upside down when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent southern families.

The entire cast is so flippin' fantastic; (Allison Janney, Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, Nelsan Ellis, Sissy Spacek, Viola Davis.) And while I can't remember who won the academy award(s?) I will tell you who surprised me was Bryce Dallas Howard as the bitchy society girl. I just didn't expect that sort of range from her, what an evil woman but again everyone involved was great. I'll admit to being uncomfortable and angry with certain scenes (as I was meant to be) but also proud because the world is a changing. 01.07.14

An Absolute Favorite

Author: awsomedustin from United States
1 November 2014

I love this movie for it's message. It's also a great way to remind people what America was like in that time period. I feel as if this movie extends further from segregation and more towards the fact that we are all created equally. The story is wonderful. The comedy was genius. I love everything about this movie. One person wanted to stick up for those that weren't being treated fairly and so she did. It was a brave thing to do. Especially when it turned her into an outcast. But did that bother her? Of course not. She set her own personal values aside in order to make a difference. This movie had me laughing. It had me crying. It had my heart breaking. Then it had me leaping for joy. I think everyone should at least give this movie a chance. It could change your entire perspective on life.

You is Kind. You is Smart. You is Important.

Passionate and Impacting

Author: Melissa Del Cid from United States
8 September 2014

I absolutely and wholeheartedly loved this film. To start, any film starring Emma Stone is my favorite. I believe that the directors created this film with so much respect to all races. No matter what race you are, so much can be learned from the story line of this film. Although this film was based on times that we no longer live in, it did an excellent job portraying it in a way where viewers could relate, understand, and be entertained. This film is not just to bring awareness to past history, but it is also a film that contains different scenes that will make you laugh so hard, scenes that will make you fall in love, and scenes that will make you cry of both sorrow and joy. It is unbelievable that such a great, appropriate, and family friendly movie, can contain all the factors that us as viewers enjoy to sit back and watch. I definitely recommend this film to everyone! It is a film that will open your eyes, and also bring unity within different races, and appreciation for bold people who one day took a stand for freedom and equality.

Author: Mohd Elayan (mselayan) from United Arab Emirates
30 August 2014

I have just finished watching The Help and I'm deeply touched. I remember not caring to watch it at the theater as I thought it could be "slow and boring" and I have been proved completely wrong.

The Help is one great stirring story that easily captures you and gets you choked up several times during the playtime. It is supported by stunning performances by all the actresses who portrayed their respective characters in the best way there is, not to mention the superb direction and other technical aspects.

This is the kind of movie that is intended to resonate across the world. It enormously transcends the theme it portrays and highlights a serious issue that doesn't belong only to the past. I believe that this movie should be watched by everyone who has the slightest interest in movies and not only avid drama movies fans.

One last issue I want to point out that might have been missed by some people despite being implied several times during the movie, most prominently in the last scene. This movie does not only pose the question of whether you treat your maid gently and respectfully, and what they would say about you if they get the chance to do so. It also addresses a very important and significant issue (in my community at least)of how close you are to your children, who has the most profound and significant impact on them, and where the maid's job should end and yours,the parent, should start.

I sincerely look forward to watching more of these masterpieces.

Best Film or what?

Author: Reyna_30 from United Kingdom
4 July 2014

Words cannot express how excited and anxious I was while watching this film. With mysteries lurking in ever corner, the audience just didn't know what to expect, except the unexpected! Emma Stone's role was played extremely well; the writer who's trying to do her research by interviewing the black servants in America during the 70's. Octavia Spencer, who played the role of "Minny Jackson" did a smashing job of serving a plate of well… do I really have to say? Anyway, the antagonist, Jessica Chastain who played Celia Foote was most definitely asking for it! In fact, everyone who were following the path of Apartheid were! I must say, I normally read the books before the films but 'The Help' seemed to funny judging by the trailer to postpone watching it! Fantastic, filled with fun and enigmatic encounters, this is a definite must watch! Everyone will definitely enjoy it, without a doubt!!! Watch the film and make up your own mind!!!

What a great film 'The help' was...

Author: Chundria Stanback ( from United States
2 July 2014

I saw "The Help" at the movies with a group of female friends. The character development in this film is really a great match for the story line. I have a list of my favorite characters which you likely agree that they are all an enterprising bunch. The storyline is in a remarkable setting brought to life from a time of racism. I love that the movie presents the perspective of a number of the characters instead of just being from the perspective of just one character. It definitely has some hilarious moments and even some tear-jerking moments. Its definitely not just a film for women or women of a particular race. It's a film that all can enjoy. They couldn't have picked a better cast to play these characters. They really sold the story line to the viewers leaving us wanting to know more as it was served. It's a fan favorite movie that I can definitely watch again and again.