IMDb > The Help (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Help

The Help More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 40: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A wonderful movie - don't miss it!

Author: esther-hartwig from Stuttgart, Germany
7 October 2012

I loved this one. It has everything a great movie needs.

First of all, a good storyline, supported by all those little subplots about humans and human tragedy, about suffering and excelling oneself. Despite the tough subject on the background of legalized racism this film managed to make me laugh again and again.

It's heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. It's about courage and cowardice, about all kinds of love and hatred, about values and standards, and you never get the feeling of being told what to think.

Strictly everybody in this movie, even if they are horrible people, is a human being. I loved how the characters were developed. I loved pretty much all of them, even the despicable ones for being so outstanding in their role.

Just on the side, without even thinking about it, the audience gets a history lesson as well and a peek into the lives of women in the 1960s.

I think this is a fantastic feminist movie - and I mean that in the best sense possible.

Excellent Movie

Author: mogansage
1 February 2012

This is the most wonderful movie. I enjoyed everything about it. I adore the characters and the story line. Excellent movie!!!!! I think it is well told and it is a very moving story. It is a slow paced movie but I found myself intrigued by each moment. The only thing I found myself wanting at the end of the movie was more story line. This is a touching endearing movie, I cried and laughed. I haven't seen a good movie like this in awhile. Though most will consider this a "chick flick", I think men could enjoy it just as much. A must see! I would compare this movie to "Life as a House" and "Evening Star". A story that just captures you heart and you don't want it to end.

The Help is the movie of the year...!!!!

Author: anudeepraju from India
28 December 2011

In 2008,I had a chance to watch a movie that stood on it's strong performances and an excellent adaptation from a Tony Award winning play...........I'm talking of the movie 'Doubt'.The movie had nearly the entire cast nominated for the Oscars that year.One performer was Voila Davis,who had strongly caught my attention for her class performance.She had a screen space of hardly a couple of minutes .....but she exploited those moments completely to show us an authentic portrayal of a concerned mother. This year in The Help,she again manages to move us with her acting potentials.She does the role of a black maid who raises white children.The movie is set against the backdrop of racism, wherein the maids (all colored women) from Jackson come forward to give in their experiences in the houses of the whites where they are employed.And each ones experiences comes together to take in the shape of a book by Anonymous, thanks to Skeeter(Emma Stone.... another notable character in the movie),which turns out to be popular but also a threat to some of the white women who have to face the consequences of their mindset(one hilarious moment being when Mrs.Hilly eats the pie made by Minny........an incredible revenge I say)...oh yeah .........Minny....Octavia Spencer,I should mention has done an outstanding work....one class apart performance......and even Jessica Chastain manages to grab your attention as a dumb white mistress(Ms.Celia Foote) to Minny but she is extremely good at heart(which I believe is more important to call yourself a human being). Viola Davis as Aibileen is not only just impressive but is the real show stealer.The performances of the women are so brilliant that the viewer tends to overlook everything else about the film. But what makes the performances so strong is beautiful adaptation of the screenplay and a good job from the director ........Tate Taylor.....he surely does deserve kudos.What I loved about his work was that he could purely read my mind....I gave it a thought .......is the movie about racism?.......NO..........it is only about the maids who are doing an incredible favor to their mistress.......raising their children.........and in return these women get treated like shits.I adore the way he made this point clear across the film. The movie on a whole has been brilliant.....after a long time I got to see a movie that made me laugh,cry,thrill.......and most importantly made me feel humbled...It is surely one of the best movies of the year!!!!

Help Yourself to a Great Story

Author: thesar-2 from United States
27 December 2011

Even though the movie The Help is a work of fiction, here's a true story: I offended someone today when I proclaimed at work: "I finally saw the first 5-star movie of 2011: 'The Help'!"

Of course, with a touchy subject such as this, it's a 50/50 chance you'll offend with someone with this movie and subject-matter. Granted, I thought I would be in good graces since the person I upset was black and I only briefly mentioned it where she could overhear it.

Apparently, her beef was mainly for the fact that the prejudice portrayed still runs true today – don't I know that! Anyways, like I always say about most work places: "Why even install carpet in the office, when the floor is covered with eggshells?"

This movie was moving, brilliant, wonderfully written, emotional, well-acted and stirs up enough emotions to make us all think twice on how we treat each other. I know I stood back and was actually ashamed of being white during this viewing.

Rebel Skeeter (the always wonderful Emma Stone) is wanting to write a book against her (ENORMOUSLY) racist bridge-playing peers and in the POV of "the help," i.e. black maids when "the deep south" still treated non-whites as inhumanly as possible. It's not easy for a VERY hard working servant to give their story, but with great courage it happens. And then it happens…it hits the fan.

Loved this movie. The performances all around, whether you love the individual or HATE HATE HATE the character, were pitch-perfect. The dialogue had be both rolling and angry (in a good way) at the same time. And the pacing, despite the more-than-2-hours running time was completely well used.

I also love the fact that it was…fiction. Some people are claiming this as heavy-handed. Bah. This was a perfect summarization of the travesty that happened back in the 1950s/1960s and like my fellow peer realizes, still today. SEE THIS MOVIE…and then look at ourselves.

quiet tome

Author: toast-15 from United States
2 September 2011

I wish I could say that all racism is in the past but I think we all know that is not true. However, we can appreciate a film that brings this particular injustice to the forefront. This movie brings everyone to the table in that respect. Many would rather not be there and many more will simply not see this film but perhaps however slowly, we may all eventually come to recognize racism when we see it. Maybe someday we can rise above the amount of melanin in a person's skin, but coming in a year when our (first black) President was forced to prove he is a citizen of the United States by showing his birth certificate in a press conference for the first time ever (even though 3 years prior he had already shown the legal form for his state), and coming in a year when the debt ceiling was held hostage for the first time ever, and coming in a year when the Speaker of the House for the first time ever, publicly rebuffed a sitting president's date request to give a speech to both the House and Senate, it is clear that day is not today.

This film is not perfect but it is necessary even so many years after the civil rights act became law. I can't think of a sadder statement.

This best-selling novel adaptation is a light, silly, poo based Hollywood drama.

Author: tombrookes2007 (tombrookes2007@hotmail.co.uk) from Warwick, England (UK)
9 January 2012

I was disappointed by this light Movie version of a great book, which it is not 100% true to. The light, fluffy, glossy look and woeful acting (from a good female ensemble cast) strips away the suffering and hardship reducing the feeling for the characters (which should be it's focus). Instead of staying truly serious to the subject matter this is flipped into an ugly light-hearted entertainment journey (trying to create the Helps versus the nasty white housewives).

The film was interesting but limited, with most of the second half giggling and obsessed with a 'poo pie' and failed to show the 'Help's' as anything other than minimally reluctant nannies (not slaves).

I would wash away my small memories of this film, in a way that would sum up this forgettable, washy, disappointment of a film. I think too much fun was had, and ultimately was the focus, of a Mississippi history lesson that never took off. 'To Kill A Mocking bird' this most definitely isn't!

This Should Receive Oscar Nominations, And It Deserves Them

Author: Troye Dchgl from Hong Kong
12 December 2011

Watching "The Help" is like living the days of black women back in the days and witnessing the struggle and hardship in almost every aspect of their lives. This is easily one of the best of the year, or at least one of the most touching movies of the year for me.

I should have seen this back in the summer but I ended up with other choices. 2011 has been a good year for movies, especially with a number of blockbusters that are not at all bad (No, I am not talking about Transformers and Green Lantern). Although, there may be some competition at the Academy Awards this year, I still believe that "The Help" will get away with some wins which it deserves.

To start with, it is the stunning performances.

Emma Stone, taking the leading role of Skeeter, has shown the audience that her acting can be much more than "Easy A". It is a big step forward and she has definitely given a Oscar-worthy performance. Indeed, she is also essential for the story development because it is basically her concern and passion that drive the later events and keep the surprises coming.

Viola Davis from "Doubt" is also one of the protagonists. Playing one of the black maids named Aibileen, she portrays the emotions of fear and hope. From a passive character to an active help to Stone (Skeeter), her performance is incredible and totally realistic. And of course, having been a Oscar nominee once, this time her even better performance absolutely deserves recognition from the Academy once again.

Then we have Octavia Spencer who has the role of Minny, also a maid. The performance is again Oscar-worthy. Her "tougher" appearance and personality are what make her stand out and have a different attitude. But indeed, the bottom line is Minny and Aibileen are united by an opportunity to change, to let their voices be heard.

Last but not least, we have Howard. I would be surprised if she is not nominated at Oscars this year, after her amazing performances in "The Tree of Life", this, and "Take Shelter". As a housewife who has Octavia (Minny) as her maid, her character is the "boss" of the housewives. The scenes when she bursts into rage are superb.

Other performances are also good in "The Help", but I guess the above four are the ones that I find outstanding. If the Academy recognizes this film, I believe there is a high chance that at least two nominations of Supporting Actress will be from this, and it will be hard to pick one for sure.

"Change begins with a whisper". That is the kind of story "The Help" wants to tell. As the movie approaches the end, there is a great number of touching scenes that can make you cry. And throughout the movie, there are scenes that can make you laugh, hard.

"The Living Proof", as a soundtrack played at the end of the movie when the closing credits roll in, is an extraordinary song. It is beautiful music, and its lyrics and meanings fit the theme of the movie perfectly. There are also other great songs played, also near the finish of the movie. Again, "The Help" should also be a great competitor in the category of Best Original Song at Oscars.

"The Help" is a combination of astonishing performances by a number of great actresses and a well-written story which I guess most viewers and the Academy will like.

Good but the book was way better

Author: evancyl
7 May 2014

The book was a fantastic read and I think the movie did a decent job of bringing it to life. Set in 1960s Mississippi, The Help is about a white girl, Skeeter Phelan, who collaborates with black maids to tell their stories of what it's like to work in a white household. They hope to narrow the racial divide and improve conditions for blacks. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer put up excellent performances as the maids, Aibileen and Minny. As president of the county's Ladies' League and leader of the racist campaign to build separate toilets for blacks in every household (not to mention Skeeter's friend), Hilly was also just as smooth and poisonous as I had imagined her to be. Emma Stone was alright as Skeeter, but a lot of her inner struggles in the book didn't really come out, so I found it kind of hard to connect with her.

While I think the movie was pretty good, its inability to make us think about our behaviour in the present-day context stopped it from being great. I also didn't like how some of the characters' reactions to Skeeter writing the book (Stuart and Skeeter's mother) were made more extreme, as it led to an oversimplification of the situation in that era.

A good movie

Author: flodecros from France
23 April 2014

This movie is good but not great. The actress are good, the story is good but there's some things that I don't like : - Some moments are silly - The film isn't enough dramatic But the rest is pretty good. There's some funny momens, some more sad but the saddest ones sounds too fakes. But the film worth the watching. It's still a good movie. The book is maybe better the movie, but it's subjective. Watch it and you will like it. It's pretty surprising that the movie doesn't win one Academy Award. But watch it. Watch it and Read it and you will appreciate the film totally. So buy the book and the DVD for have a good cinema night.

MY REVIEW: Help Yourself, Watch This Good One!!

Author: Sandeep Gupta from Jaipur, India
2 March 2014

The Help. An aspiring author played by pretty Emma Stone during the civil rights movement of the 1960s decides to write a book detailing the African-American maids' point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis. Subject is sensitive but treatment is not. In fact most of the time it is balanced, comical take on the racism that makes it an easy watch rather a shocking watch. If we talk about performances, Octavia Spencer treats big time with her delightful portrayal of Minny Jackson for which she was awarded an Oscar. Viola Davis also stands tall with her sincere portrayal of Aibileen Clark. Whole movie is crafted like a girl's movie so there is very less for male actors to show-off here. Movie makes its point but never hits you hard so you may not think much about what you experienced after end credits have gone down. Nevertheless, it's nicely crafted easy watch.