IMDb > The Help (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Help

The Help More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

what a mess

Author: gruener from United States
12 January 2012

What a horrible movie. Everything so new and clean. Mississippi and the south and the north weren't that clean. Freshly painted buses for the maids to be taken to the white folks? Cars with no dirt on them? Dresses of the rich folk and the po' with no wrinkles? Oh, come on.

What is it with Skeeter's hair? It appears to be curly from the 2000's...not realistic....when was that curly hideous hairstyle popular? We had no maids in the 50's and 60's, so I can't comment on their treatment by the white folk. I'm sure they must have put them down.

A job is a job, unfortunately, whether it is working as a maid for a white family or a slob in a factory. You suck up to the bossman or bosslady. Of course it is demeaning, but it is that for everyone.

A very hard movie to make it through...just too fake.

Slave Tired Of These Images

Author: Jean-Phillipe from United States
31 December 2011

I hate this movie. I hate everything about it. As a college educated, married, faithful Black Man in America I am here to say I'm slave tired of these "step n' fetch it" roles. These are the kind of depictions that Hollywood and white America seems to LOVE to see my sons and daughters emulate. But a film like The Great Debaters gets virtually ignored. Oh I get it... I'm just tired of it.

The FACT that Black people are - mired in the abyss - of abject poverty, disproportionate incarceration and homicide rates, drug addiction, lack of education and inadequate housing is not fictional entertainment - but REALITY. I understand Black America is not a monolith, but the socioeconomic and sociocultural status of the Black America I speak of is in real trouble. Viola Davis is a fantastic actor but her talent is wasted in The Help. Black Americans need STRONGER and MORE POWERFUL and PROGRESSIVE IMAGES IN FILM!! Hello... The Mammy character is dead. The Uncle Tom character is dead... or should be. Let's move forward.

I'm not sure what Black America you THINK you know, but the Black America I know is one of profound sadness. This is 2012! Not 1960! Have you ever spent anytime at all in an inner city ghetto? Have you ever seen project tenements in Kansas City, MO, Memphis, TN or Atlanta, GA? You've been BAMBOOZLED (a movie that should have won an Oscar) into thinking that all Black Americans are well educated and financially secure. Most Black people aren't lawyers, musicians, rappers or professional athletes. Black men are in fact more likely to be in prison than in college. Why is that?

One of my greatest wishes is for gifted and talented Black actors, directors and producers to pool their intellectual and financial resources, devising ways to create better images and stories for the Black community instead of feeding into a racist Hollywood that does not (and has NEVER) had our best interests at heart.

Be honest with yourself... Hollywood and their corporate sponsors could give a rats ass about the Black community, but they don't mind striping our daughters naked.

Doesn't anyone else see a problem when the only way Black Actors can become so-called "successful" - is when they either sell out in an interracial relationship, have sex with Billy Bob Thornton on screen or sell degrading images of their people as being pimps, drug dealers, whores, gangsters, buffoons and ...maids?

If you have any shred of self-respect you will stay away from not only this movie The Help, but every movie like it. Rent and/or buy Bamboozled and The Great Debaters instead. You'll feel better.

Exploits real suffering, and panders for sympathy without doing anything genuine

Author: bopdog from Was UK Now US
11 August 2011

This is a hard film to adequately review, because so much is right with it, yet at the same time so much is wrong. Or if not "wrong," at least there are some major tones that simply did not work for me.

The cast is spectacular. Emma Stone is not just adorable, but a skilled and marvelous actor. You don't need me to remark that she has a stellar career ahead of her. The rest of the cast includes some of those great character actors you see in the better films, but can't quite remember where you've seen them before. but that's a plus for a character actor, as their appearances, therefore, always seems fresh.

It feels very awkward for me to mention the tone that felt wrong. The abuse and inhumane treatment endured by black people 50 years ago is hard to watch today. The pain inflicted, and the behavior of the oppressors can only be called an "evil" situation. One hopes that evolution has done its work, and social justice prevails today. If not perfectly, then at least to a tolerable degree.

But that is part of the problem, to me. This film seems to merely recycle old tropes of injustice. It seems to be, as one of my professors used to call it, a "pot stirrer." Lots of agitation and angst and shame and sympathy just for the sake of chaos--- but here it doesn't seem to be authentic. It certainly doesn't seem to go anywhere. It's almost as if the writer has taken an easy issue guaranteed to provoke outrage and anger, rather than doing the authentic, and difficult, artistic work necessary to invoke compassion and healing. This film might be, to be blunt, merely counterfeit social justice. It might be a brazen attempt to "push buttons" for undeserved sympathy. I sincerely hope I am mistaken, and overly unkind.

Granted, that's a subtle point. But that's also why I found the theme of the film a bit objectionable- it seemed as if the filmmakers were taking advantage of most people's natural and gut-level decency to elicit an audience response on a tabloid level.

Further, who would DARE to criticize this film? It's almost as if it were "criticism proof." Therefore unsound dramatic treatments will go by without comment. Given that I think that was done deliberately, even if somewhat unconsciously, this movie takes an honorable and lofty struggle for which many people suffered and even died, and shamelessly exploits that to make a few bucks at the box office. Think about it- what insights or "new" themes were introduced here? I'd say none. It may be an example of what Plato called "pandering," going for the cheap points via a stimulus-response fest.

I hope I am wrong- I hope it is really just a matter of me not responding to this particular cinematic venture. If I am even partly right, however, it bodes ill for our modern shallow and thoughtless "junk media" environment.

A Nutshell Review: The Help

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
23 October 2011

The Help is one of the many films that's set in the 60s that deals with themes like prejudice and racism involving segregation amongst the Whites and the African Americans in Jackson, Mississippi, but having the very same themes also being relevant in society today even here in Singapore especially, with recent talk and focus on the issue of domestic help and our attitudes toward household maids that many employ for various reasons, who assist in looking after the children and the elderly, as well as to keep home while the rest of the adults are neck deep in economic pursuits. While racism is generally kept under control here, there are niggling incidents that pop up every now and then, so clearly we're not off the hook and there will always be individuals who choose intolerance.

Granted that racism back then was more pronounced especially during that era put on film, the story's based on an international bestseller written by Kathryn Stockett, and over here we're bound to identify with the issues highlighted especially in the horror stories you'd hear with regards to the treatment of domestic help, with abuse cases that make you sit up and wonder why we are capable of such inhumane acts. And the worst of all involves being hypocritical, putting on a false front for society, while clearly behaving like the devil when behind closed doors. The bottom line is, we're all humans and we share similar hopes and dreams whatever our skin colour, language and where we're from, in desiring a comfortable life filled with love, with a roof over our heads, food and community, friends and family we can turn to in times of need.

Which is why this film has themes and a poignant, thought provoking narrative that screams relevance, especially for those closeted intolerant few who must watch this, and reflect. Emma Stone stars as Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, an aspiring journalist who has returned home only to find out that the group of peers she had grown up with, are leading a lifestyle of superficial leisure, saying a lot of things, but meaning nothing. And for all their cliquish behaviour in cruelly treating one of their own as a social outcast (Jessica Chastain from The Tree of Life), for an ulterior reason only Hilly (Bryce Dallas Howard) knows, what more their household maids who have to slog with the chores, be that surrogate mother to their kids, be at their beck and call, and being given attitude, stick, and threats of the sack?

Given the tension all round during the time, it's no wonder that Skeeter's plans to want to highlight The Help's predicament and provide them with a voice, no doubt also serving as a ticket for her journalistic ambitions to embark on a career in New York, all met with stone walled silence, until Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) decided that enough is enough, and begin opening up to Skeeter as research material, becoming her insights and perspective on how the African American help get treated in White households. And besides Aibileen's point of view, her friend Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer) also chipped in, and both represent the broad spectrum of heartfelt accounts both good and bad, though largely negative, with the tacit understanding with Skeeter that they are not to be referred to directly.

It's one of those powerful films that takes the ugly side of humanity and presents it to us face on, to confront how cruel some of us can be, and what the strong amongst us must do to act and help those who are weak or bullied. Director Tate Taylor, who also wrote the screenplay, focuses on the tales crafted around the households both Aibileen and Minny serve, from being treated like dirt to forming firm friendships with some of the people they know and serve, such as Celia Foote (Jessica Chastain), as a reminder on how we should never judge a book by its cover, being obviously relevant when one gets handed one's fate for being of a certain skin colour. You may think that this may be a heavy film with all its seriousness, but trust me there is enough light hearted, even heart warming moments scattered throughout, though counter-balanced with moments of fear that will make you worry for the characters since mob mentality can lead to anything.

Emma Stone normally plays kooky characters of late, so this was perfect opportunity for her to shine in more serious drama which she does adequately. But she got upstaged by both Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer, the former who brought a certain quiet dignity to her role which just calls for respect, and the latter being the comic relief as a really straight-talker, and whose story was probably the most touching in the film, with one of the funniest, running gag in the later half. Bryce Dallas Howard also owned her role as the antagonist Hilly in the film, and if you'd think she's only capable of goody two shoes roles, think again as she can convincingly play back-stabbers, with Sissy Spacek in a supporting role as Hilly's mom.

The Help reminds us of how one has to have Fear and Courage to addresses changes in community or the larger society we serve in, without which we would all be poorer for it. It may be almost 2 1/2 hours long, but it's every minute worth it just watching how an uphill battle was fought, and baby steps being taken each time to overcome obstacles placed in the characters' way. It's guaranteed that you'll laugh and you'll cry in the film thanks to its material, and it's firmly one of the contenders to be amongst my favourite films of this year. Highly recommended!

(The white girl who cares about) The Help

Author: Katarina Hedrén
2 November 2011

"You is kind. You is smart. You is important" is the mantra that "You is kind. You is smart. You is important" is the mantra that Abileen Clark (Viola Davis), a domestic worker in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960ies, uses to comfort and empower her employer's daughter. Neglected by a mother who finds her too chubby and cumbersome, and a constantly absent father, Abileen is the only caring adult in the girl's life, the one who's there for her through real and metaphorical storms.

Based on the bestseller by the same name written by Kathryn Stocket in 2009, the movie version of The Help, directed by Tate Taylor, tells the story of the young aspiring writer Eugenia (nicknamed Skeeter and played by Emma Stone). Skeeter is different from Elizabeth (Ahna O'Reilly), Hilly (Bryce Dallas Howard) and her other friends who spend their time playing bridge, organising charity events and being snooty. Instead of trying to find a husband, Skeeter's focusing on her career. She also believes that black domestic workers shouldn't be treated as subhumans; a radical view stemming from her relationship with her old nanny Constantine (Cicely Tyson), who raised Skeeter before disappearing without a trace.

After landing a job answering housekeeping questions for a newspaper column, Skeeter, who knows nothing about housework, asks Elizabeth to let her domestic worker Abileen help her. After a short time in Abileen's company, Skeeter realises that life as a black domestic worker isn't all rosy, and the idea is born to collect the stories of all the invisible hardworking black women surrounding her and her friends and write a book. Initially reluctant Abileen eventually succumbs and convinces her friend Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer), an outspoken lady who has just been fired by Hilly to help Skeeter realize her dream. As the film progresses the audience is treated to various displays of racist stuck up behaviour, bad parenting, loyalty and silent resistance. "This isn't about me. It doesn't matter what I feel", Skeeter promises early in the film which turns out to be mainly about her, Elizabeth, Hilly and the ostracized housewife Celia (Jessica Chastain).

As New York Press' reviewer Armond White points out the main aim of the film is to entertain, which might explain the lack of engagement with the subject matter at a level that considers the changes that have influenced discussions about race, gender and power in America since the sixties. The approach makes for a dated film that requires the audience to ignore the most important change; that black American women no longer rely on white spokespersons to voice their concerns. Abileen's, Minny's and Constantin's primary function in The Help, a film that does little to challenge traditional racial power dynamics, and translates black agency into steeling and black pride into frying chicken, is simply to help us distinguish good whites from bad, coward and victim whites. The Help is a film that suffers badly from a shallow treatment of a complex subject matter and blatant slapsticky stereotyping (incl. Minny delivering one Chappellesque line about chicken after the other, among them "Frying chicken just makes me feel better about life. I just love me some fried chicken").

The ethos of the film is that of Skeeter; quite radical in the 1960s, less so in 2011. Black underprivileged women playing second fiddle to their white counterparts isn't the problem. It's just a pity that the white women, having forgotten how much they loved their black nannies as children, let the black help raise their children but not use their bathrooms. For someone in tune with this ethos it makes sense that Skeeter is the one who contributes with ambition and skills, and her informants (even if they, like Abileen, also are aspiring writers) with sensational stories about daily humiliation to be turned into literature by Skeeter. To assume, as Skeeter does when finding out what happened to her nanny, that the old woman, who at least until the day she disappeared had a brave and caring daughter by her side (LaChanze), wouldn't survive another minute without Skeeter isn't outrageous given the logical framework of the film, and similarly there's nothing strange about Skeeter's narcissistic reluctance to leave the thirty something informants in the racist town for an attractive job in New York. A concern that reminds me of a that of the man who approaches a group of girlfriends in a bar, asking them what they're doing there all alone.

Different approaches at different times; that's how to make any story relevant at any time. Nothing illustrates this better than the example of The Stepford Wives, the 1974 novel by Ira Levin which was adapted to the big screen in 1975 and 2004, and to TV in 1980, 1987 and 1996. Also dealing with oppressive and reactionary ideals, each version of the original story reflects the time in which it was made, with hypnosis being the tool of domination in the 1980 version, role reversal in 1996, and a woman being the master brain running the show in the 2004 version in which the women have become sex- and cash machines. In response to Taylor's dealing with The Help, nothing feels more appropriate than to conclude in the same non-innovative and slightly offensive manner that characterizes his take on the story:

You is patronising. You is irrelevant. You is out of touch. (This and other movie reviews to be found on the blog "In the Words of Katarina")

Unforgettable Movie about a Forgettable Time

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 April 2013

In Jackson, Mississippi, in the 60's, the aspirant writer Skeeter Phelan (Emma Stone) has just graduated and returns home after finding a job writing in a futile newspaper column in the local newspaper. When she arrives home, she finds that her nanny and family's maid Constantine Jefferson (Cicely Tyson) is gone.

Skeeter sees the chance of writing a book about the relationship of the black maids with the Southern society for an editor from New York. First she convinces Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) to open her heart to her; then Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer) is unfairly fired by the arrogant Hilly Holbrook (Bryce Dallas Howard), who is a leader in the racist high society, and Minny decides to tell her stories after finding a job with the outcast Celia Foote (Jessica Chastain). Soon eleven other maids accept to be interviewed by Skeeter that also tells the truth about Constantine. When the book "The Help" is released, Jackson's high society will never be the same.

"The Help" is an unforgettable movie about a forgettable time in the history of the United States of America. The engaging story is supported by magnificent performances and the viewer does not feel the 146 minutes running time. The performances of Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard, Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain are top-notch and all of them deserved at least nomination to the Oscar and major film festivals. The direction is tight and art direction is very realistic. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Histórias Cruzadas" ("Entwined Stories")

outstanding performances but the movie could have been better.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
26 October 2011

Read my full review on my blog, IMDb has a word limit and this is not a complete review.

now i thought this movie had some occasional moments that will make you laugh and others that will make your eyes wet and break your heart, it does but overall does not succeeds in making an emotional connection between you and the movie which i guess is important. i have seen many dramatic or semi dramatic movies about certain issues that you end up thinking and feeling for it and while watching, you have this connection with it. but The Help lacks it. also i think it even wasn't very well adapted. i haven't read the book but you well feel it once the movie ends that this is not a perfect adaptation of a book that i suppose is great. on the whole you will end up praising movie for its dramatic scenes and situations and will do pull the strings your heart but you will not be fully satisfied or at least i wasn't and it feels weird to be a minority since i am not usually the one.

OK enough about the movie now about the best thing of this movie which is the performances by the cast. first of all, this movie belongs to the immensely talented and brilliant performer Viola Davis and the perfectly outstanding scene stellar Octavia Spencer. these two performances are the one that everyone is talking about but there is so more, i need a separate article just to write about the performances, characters and different shades of them. diverse cast. i was so touched by the performance and character of Cecile played by the breakthrough actress of the year Jessica Chastain. Emma Stone outdone herself giving the best performance of her career. Bryce Dallas Howard as this Villain of the movie gives a good performance as this evil, racist and annoying housewife. Viola Davis is brilliant i think she deserves a Best actress nomination. her emotions and her presence is so great. she is the star the best thing about this movie. Octavia Spencer gives a lovable and likable performance her character is like not scare of anyone or anything to say. she steals the show. i will like to see her in Supporting actress category. Now Jessica Chastain was someone i thought will have a minor role since i haven't heard much about her from anyone but boy her performance was so good. she is this immature pure hearted woman, her innocent nature is something everyone and by that i mean Hilly stays away from her. in a scene where she comes to meet the women at their daily house meetings, she brings a pie with her too. she knocks on the door but they pretend that no one os at home, Cecile spots them and realizes everything, she walks away in a very sad face. that was the scene that just broke my heart and made me realized that her character and her performance is very special and something to appreciate. also her relation with Minny in the movie is so inspiring and something that made me cry. Jessica Chastain deserves a nomination for this movie so much. so these three performances are Oscar worthy according to me.

Now at the end just to some up everything i would say that this movie definitely has emotional and dramatic moments that touches your heart and some comedy scenes but the movie never fully reaches the point where you want to call it an excellently made movie. it lacks certain things that takes everything away from what could have been, one of the best movies of the year. however the performances in this movie are the heart and soul of the movie. they saves the movie from going down to a place where it just seems like another cheesy and wanna be Oscar bait. the characters are so great like diverse and very relatable and understandable, you will find (specially if you are a woman or a housewife) characters like these all around you. also i thought or just felt that the material from the books weren't fully used, it seems like certain things were shown a lot while completely avoiding or suprressing others. it does gloss very much on racism which is not bad but the way this movie have been done, i don't know i have mix feelings about it. still it is a movie worth a watch. and i have doubts for it getting Best Picture Oscar nomination and if it does, than that will just be another smart and outrageous move by Academy to attract the audience since this movie officially is the MOST AUDIENCE FAVORITE MOVIE OF THE YEAR.

Follow My Blog: Hollywoodandme.blogspot.com

A Story About Black People to Make White People Feel Better

Author: richard-hodges from Auckland, New Zealand
29 September 2011

Oddly, I enjoyed the help. it's a strong story well told, beautifully photographed with exceptional period feel, and is sincerely and expertly performed.

Despite is weighty veneer, it's also patronising and manipulative. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing this movie is made by white folk, with the usual feel-better gloss about a terrible subject.

Leonard Maltin wrote that this film's lone failing was its stereotypes. Certainly Bryce Dallas Howard's Hilly is he most obvious example but really the movie is peppered with stereotypes: the shallow housewife; the modern go-girl (who just happens to be an diamond in the rough, just to emphasise that its what's inside that counts, and that white people have real problems too); the bimbo with a heart; the mother who wishes she had the strength; the oppressed but wise housemaid; the bread-winning husbands that look the other way, and so on and so on.

It might be cathartic for white Americans to make and see films like The Help but really they're not fooling anyone. The Help is shiny and clever, but to me and surely many other non-Americans, its shallow, narcissistic and and unfairly self-congratulatory.

Somewhere there must be a filmmaker and studio that has the balls to tell modern audiences the stories of the real struggle of African Americans against their white oppressors; something that contains a stronger resolution that a swell of pride and a cold sore. I'll take that over this sugar coated Oscar bait thanks.

Superb portrayal of race and friendship.

Author: Nathan L from United Kingdom
30 August 2011

This stunning film incorporates history, friendship, hate and humour in a way never done before. Believable characters compliment the strong, gripping story, and all are played well, demonstrating skilled acting.

The relationships between characters are amazing, and you find yourself relating with the characters as you experience the ones in the film.

You can sit in a cinema watching this film and all at once, laugh, cry and smile, as you stare in awe at this cinematic genius.

I look forward to reading the book in the near future, as I am sure it will be just as good.

Best Picture, here we come!

Powerful movie

Author: muyoyeta from Sydney, Australia
3 September 2011

Look folks, I'm not the one to go watch a movie and then come and write a review. This is very rare, in fact this is the first time. First of all, I'm a black middle-aged male living in Australia. I'm not into that black-white-red-yellow affirmative action, divide or whatever you call it and I have not experienced that American slavery or racism history except seeing it presented one-sided or biased on TV.

Now having proclaimed my neutrality above, I will tell you this: this is one powerful movie that will sure touch and move you in one way or another whatever your political lining. The casting, directing and acting are top-of-the-shelf superb A+++. When my wife first told me about it, I said OK whatever. Man was I wrong! I cried and laughed at the same throughout the movie, and I'm a dude and where I come from men are not supposed to show their soft side. All I can say is go see the movie and it will be worth it.