IMDb > Monsters University (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monsters University

Monsters University More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 28: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Entertainment on Monsters

Author: Joseph Conrad from Indonesia
11 July 2013

This is an unique idea to transform monsters to be something educated. How human can be their objective of learning and the biggest dream to award the scariest monster ever. Viewers perhaps find the different filming between Monsters University and Monsters Inc. Monsters University is more dramatic. Kids can lost the original story because of boring conversations on the middle, but the colorful screen and the humorous quotations help kids to imagine what coming next and what is the ending becoming to. The ending is simply mysterious, because some characters are mentally developed, not only Mike (the one eye). Mike is the trigger to present the genuine of each characters beside him. The good characters become vanished and the evil characters replace the main roles. The ideology that cartoon is always happy-ending perhaps can't stand in Monsters University because Monsters University delivers the new pop ideology. Kids, you should learn from the Monsters! :)

Back To The Past

Author: Mek Torres from Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines
2 July 2013

Unlike most Pixar films, Monsters Inc. is never really famous by its idea. Everyone mostly recalls the film by the love of the characters. They are the biggest deal of the story, and for that this prequel, Monsters University, keeps them the same perfectly. Although it didn't go with the same heights of its predecessor, the film gets it right for laying low from today's excessive gimmickry and simply tells the story by getting to know more of the characters and what's going on. The basic charm and heart remains, thus Monsters University is one of those prequels that will be appreciated by its fans.

This might be the second Disney animated film that depicts college life. How the film portrays it is quite sugarcoated, since this is definitely a family movie. There are still some amusing mockeries to be felt in the exteriors. Though, the whole movie is just a typical fight between a band of misfits versus a too competent group. The thing is the titular university is barely fascinating, compared to the incorporated. But the best feat lies on the characters. Since they are always the heart of the pictures, they serve better effect to this story. Mike and Sully's friendship is the idea here, and it could have been a clichéd growth of friendship, but the film surprisingly gives it an unpredictable fate which leads to a better message in the end.

John Goodman and Billy Crystal once again brought Mike and Sulley to life and the charm they gave to them stays intact, while the new cast also made their characters quite memorable. The direction is remarkably basic to this era of animation. As you would notice, our most recent ones are too busy on trying to make bigger animation tricks and endless swift action, Monsters University just stays simple. Not saying creating groundbreaking visuals is bad, but we just hardly see any absorbing storytelling nowadays. We still get to see something wonderful here, like how everything looks colorfully eye candy without adding any exaggerated whimsiness. Randy Newman returns at the score which brings some nostalgia from the original.

Based on the themes, Monsters University is pretty much like An Extremely Goofy Movie. It's never really into portraying the means of college life, but it instead aims to developing the central relationship and heart. The overall film is thankfully more than a joke filled, nonstop set pieced, mainstream blockbuster gimmickry. It has the elements which made the first film so good. We can live without the satires or pros and cons about college, but the university could have been as intriguing as the world we saw twelve years ago, but again, it's all about characters, because the studio truly understands that they are one of the best developed characters of this genre. Monsters University is not yet the superior mode of Pixar, but it's not their mediocre mode either. All in all, it's undeniably good.

What a disappointment

Author: declankearns-24728 from Northampon, England
2 December 2016

Some of you people are going to hate me on this one.But its just my silly personal opinion.During the summer of 2013 I was over excited to see the long awaited (twelve years) prequel to Monsters Inc.However it was as soon as I watched it.

First off, the plot is just one big cliché of other colleague films, like Revenge of the Nerds.

Secondly the characters,they transformed Sulley from a kind and care loving monster into a stereotypical dumb jock and Mike into a stereotypical smart ass.

Third the jokes,most of the jokes in this film just fall flat.

At least if it was released in 2003,it would have gotten more likes.

Monsters University

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
11 November 2013

The boys are back in town only its not a sequel but a prequel and we gonna see how Mike and Sulley became friends. Yep its back to school for this next adventure into the world of scaring.

Mike is off to Monsters University to become a scarer, only problem is he's not very scary, but he's book smart, so he learns all he can on the art of scaring. Sulley is a bit of a jock and thanks to his privileged family background he has a good reputation and following. He's a good scarer and indeed scary but not so book smart, so in essence these guys need each other. Even more so after getting kicked off the scaring programme they must both work together with a team of nerds to win the scare games and get back into the scare programme (the word 'scare' is used by the bucket load in this).

My initial thoughts on this were sceptical I admit, another prequel which seems to be the trend these days, why not a straight forward sequel. These thoughts were virtually obliterated as Mike jumps off the bus and enters into the Uni. Do I really need to talk about visuals here? one word...awesome! these animated films just get better and better. Everything just looks so damn real! the slimy monsters look slimy, the furry ones look perfectly furry, everything has such a solid realistic sense and weight about them its fantastic. The colours are bright, bold, vivid and gosh darn beautiful.

On top of that the detail here is astounding, everywhere you look in each frame or scene there is something going on. Of course being set within a school there is plenty to create, plenty of visual gags, homages, in-jokes, parodies etc...the possibilities are pretty endless and sure enough its all covered here. Yeah sure a lot of it is cheesy and clichéd, we've seen many of these high school-like pranks and party scenarios with jocks and dweebs before, its an old concept, but it all looks good enough to eat.

Its actually pretty cool to see a very young Mike Wazowski, he looks so adorable, I really felt sorry for the little guy when he gets pushed around. Once he's grown up a bit and voiced by Crystal that cuteness falls by the wayside but never mind. I really liked all the other characters in the school, it must have been hard to create so many unique looking creatures, there are some that look a bit lame, a bit similar, a bit Dino-esque but in general a nice selection. The middle aged textile salesman monster Don Carlton was a great little creation although he does look somewhat like Mario.

I really did like some of the fraternity monsters especially, the monster that looked like an eagle with horns and his mohawk/mullet- like hair. I also liked how they came up with stereotypical types of monsters which parody reality...the goth/emo kids, the girly cheerleader types, the porky kids, the poindexters etc...I REALLY liked the brief appearance of the scream can design teacher, like an overly hairy Muppet. It was also cool to see 'Randall' back as for some reason I didn't expect to see this guy. So not only do we get to see how Mike and Sulley become friends we also see how Randall comes to hate Sulley.

The scare games predictably do go the way you know they're gonna go, but the finale scaredown is cool and fun to watch. What I liked is the actual ending to the film doesn't play out as you'd expect, there is a little twist and the good guys don't totally win in every way you'd expect them too...which is cool.

There are absolutely tonnes of good morals, good values and good lessons to be learnt in this film, a great motivational spirit lifter for all ages (especially the younger gen of course). Maybe a little bit more for the kids this time but still thoroughly entertaining, the perfect underdog story, or should that be undermonster? zing!

An excellent prequel to a memorable original

Author: webberrules from Canberra, Australia
23 October 2013

I remember the first time I have seen Monsters University and by far it was Pixar's best animated film since Toy Story 3.

Dan Scanlon has done an excellent job directing Monsters University, a huge step up on his works on direct to video sequels to Disney classics, as a storyboard artist for The Little Mermaid II:Return to the Sea and 101 Dalmatians II:Patch's London Adventure, which is a huge step-up to the big league animators. Well done, Mr Scanlon. The story was an excellent story that preceded the original film. The characters from the original Monsters Inc., Mike Wazowski, James P. Sullivan and Randall Boggs which made the film memorable. The new characters were really good also. The voice acting was top-notch. Billy Crystal, John Goodman and Steve Buscemi as the voices of Mike Wazowski, James P. Sullivan and Randall Boggs have also returned. The new voice cast including Sean Hayes, Helen Mirren, Dave Foley, Joel Murray, et cetera were also excellent. The music by Randy Newman was also excellent as he continues to do memorable film scores to Pixar animated films.

I highly recommend this film to every Monsters, Inc. and Pixar fan that showed the excellence of Dan Scanlon in his directorial debut. You will never regret it. 10/10

All visuals and no story makes MU a dull movie!

Author: me_theuninvited from London
18 October 2013

I am definitely not the type of person would bug without any reason.In fact i'm pretty kind-hearted when it comes to rating movies.I absolutely loved Cars 2.Much more then Cars.Brave was amazing as well.I didn't hate it.But unfortunately,i can't do that with MU.Now it feels like Pixar lost it's magic.The movie was very simple.I do like simple things but not in animated movies.The whole movie was spent on just a stupid game.Pixar's movies had something we could learn,something we could talk.There was a scene always,where it felt like everything's going to fall apart,and then there would be that motivational scene,where the main leads would muster up the courage and do once again.Obviously i missed Boo.Another thing what i think is necessary,that there should be a female lead along with the male in every animation.Don't get me wrong but almost every movie with both leads have been very successful.Among their group,not a single was a woman.A woman character definitely add up excitement to a movie.Sorry folks,but this didn't work for me.

Monsters University Delivers

Author: jon.h.ochiai (jochiai@socal.rr.com) from Los Angeles, CA
18 July 2013

Pixar's "Monsters University" is hysterical and unexpectedly touching. Finally, saw it a couple weeks ago. MU is predictable, given that it is a prequel to Pixar's animated classic "Monsters Inc." Billy Crystal and John Goodman wonderfully return as the voices of Mike, basically a walking eyeball, and Sulley, the towering blue and purple hairy monster. I saw "Monsters University" in 2D not 3D, and still the picture had amazing visual depth. First time Director Dan Scanlon creates a natural warmth and testiness among this ensemble mash-up. He along with writers Daniel Greson and Robert L. Baird upholds the lineage of all the great Pixar movies: they have amazing stories. Randy Newman's score is on point with whimsy and wacky sentimentality. Yes, the animation is robust and vibrant down to the detail of Sulley's shedding hair.

"Monsters University" is almost as good as "Monsters Inc.", though what it loses in originality is balanced by Mike and Sulley's transformed friendship. The polarized future buddies meet in the Scare Program at MU. Mike (Billy Crystal) is the text book scare nerd. Sulley (John Goodman) is the Big Monster on Campus knowing he can get by on the Sullivan name. The rivals meet their true nemesis and mentor in Dean Hardscrabble (Helen Mirren), the staid multi-legged insect-like creature. The almost indistinguishable Mirren has an omniscient presence that gravitates. She eloquently states the obvious to Mike, "You are just not scary." She knows that Sulley is skating on raw talent without character. Consequently, Mike and Sulley are forced into alliance with not so scary Oozma Kappa Fraternity, one of whose members is Squishy—very telling. They must overcome implausible odds and win the MU Scare Games, their last gasp at redemption.

At the story arc during the Scare Games, in Rocky-like fashion Sulley tells Mike, "You can't change who you are!" Rather you have to get who you are. Crystal and Goodman are brilliant as Mike and Sulley discover that their partnership is way greater than its individual parts. That may be the beauty of "Monsters University". Friendship, respect and love foster greatness in Monsters… and people. Director Scanlon refreshingly and wryly reminds us of this in "Monsters University".

Not among Pixar's greatest animations

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
30 June 2013

"You don't study scaring, you just do it."

I wasn't a huge fan of the original animated film, but I still enjoyed it enough to want to go check out this prequel, Monsters University. I have to admit that Pixar rarely makes a bad film (with the exception of Cars 2) so obviously expectations are always really high for these kind of films. I wasn't blown away by their latest effort, Brave, and I kind of felt the same way about Monsters University. It was a charming film with some funny moments and some heart, but it wasn't up to par with Pixar's greatest films. It had a pretty simple message for kids: fight for your dreams and even if you don't accomplish them you will still find what you are good at along the way and everything will work out. Billy Crystal and John Goodman do some great voice work once again here for their memorable characters, Sullivan and Mike. The animation was also excellent, and Pixar is probably the best at this department with some great art work. I had a fun time at the theaters, but wasn't blown away this time and felt a bit disappointed. It was very formulaic and the character development was pretty weak for a Pixar film, but I still laughed during several scenes so I still have to give this film a passing grade.

The story works as a sequel as it focuses on Mike's (Billy Crystal) early years. In a school visit to Monsters Inc. Mike discovers he wants to become a scarer and so the film jumps in time to when he enrolls at Monsters University and begins to major as a scarer. Here he meets Sully (John Goodman) who he really dislikes. They seem to always be competing with each other until a series of unfortunate events makes the pair team up with each other to overcome their odds. Mike and Sully cause a disturbance and Dean Hardscrabble (Helen Mirren) expels them from the program. This forces Mike and Sully to team together for the school's scare games once the Dean acknowledges the possibility of them reentering the program if they win. The problem is that they have some fierce competition and they have to team up with the sorority group of Oozma Kappa, a bunch of outcasts who have no experience at being scarers. Thus the film turns into a classic underdog competition (Revenge of the nerds style). Randy (Steve Buscemi) is also in this prequel, who surprisingly was Mike's friendly roommate. Something happens during the film which will make him turn into the classic villain we saw in Monster Inc.

The film is pretty formulaic, but I found it entertaining to see how the friendship between Mike and Sully began after being such fierce rivals. I also was surprised to discover Randy wasn't your typical villain, he was friendly once and something happens to him that causes him to change his behavior. Overall this is probably one of Pixar's weakest efforts, but it is still a charming fun film and one kids will enjoy. These are all likable characters and the only person who he really miss from Monsters Inc. is the lovable Boo. Despite not being a great film, I still would recommend it for kids, and I think adults will have a lot of fun if they don't go see it with high expectations.

Good, but not pixar material

Author: ammarjamal from Oman
30 June 2013

Monsters university was a good film, just not as good as expected, after seeing how pixar has made it's other movies (monsters inc, toy story 1,2 and 3, up) you would expect to see something much better than what monsters university is. Monsters university was entertaining, just not as entertaining as expected, you can feel that this movie was made purely for kids 12 and under, unlike pixar's previous films which adults will also enjoy. Monsters university carried two great messages "I can" and the classic "we must work as a team message" they delivered these messages successfully. Boo really made a difference I noticed something missing in monsters university and that was definitely Boo, we couldn't see any of her "cute humor" :( As I said earlier this movie was targeted for kids 12 and under so... it's jokes were funny but not as funny as the jokes in Monsters inc, I mean I just chuckled once or twice in this film. However comparing it to pixar's work from the last two years this was the best (out of brave and cars 2) The film had a great story, but it just seemed rushed, and we have seen that story before, (cool guys get stuck with a group of losers but the losers learn a lot and become cool in their own way) I wish the film showed us more of monsters inc (it only does that towards the end) but that's OK because it wouldn't have fit in the story anyways. Overall this film was good, just not as good as pixar's previous films, I enjoyed it but I missed Boo :( I give it a 6/10

Pretty entertaining...if you don't think about it too hard.

Author: thisglimpse-1 from United States
29 June 2013

Monsters University is an enjoyable film, a riff on the college comedy, borrowing liberally from "Revenge of the Nerds."   But the more I think about it, the more problems I detect with its execution.  Which is maybe further proof that it's better just to watch movies (especially summer-release movies) and not think about them.

To begin with, what age group is this made for?  Tonally, it's definitely pitched at kids - it lacks the kind of deeper resonance that has made Pixar films favorites among adults for the last decade.  And I'm okay with that, these days I'm feeling like we need to let Pixar off the hook a little, and let them just make decent kids' movies.  But does "Monsters U" work as a kid's movie? The premise of "Monsters, Inc." felt a little difficult for children to grasp, and it's even more so here.  You need to understand that in the monster world, children's screams are a valuable source of energy, and the monsters evoking those screams are just doing their job.  But what does a first grader understand about energy production and usage? Do they really get that the TV and dishwasher and nightlight all work because of the coal plant?  I doubt it.  The first movie hedged this bet effectively, both by explaining it to death, and by forging a paternal bond between Sully and Boo.  When watching "Monsters, Inc.," a five year old doesn't need to understand the dynamics of energy production in the monster world to understand who the good guys are; they see Sully cuddling Boo, and they get it.  But in "Monsters University,"  there's no Boo.  There's no explanation either.  The children are scarce, and when they appear, are a source of energy, and nothing else.  How does that play for a five-year-old, especially one who hasn't seen the first movie?

Serving as a prequel to "Monsters, Inc," we get to know one-eyed, walking ping-pong ball Mike Wazowsky and intimidating-except-for-the-purple-polka-dots Jimmy Sullivan (Sully) as polar opposite students.  Mike is all book knowledge and technique; he can ace a pop quiz and demonstrate zombie drooling with proficiency, but can't spook a tabby cat to save his life. Sully comes from a family of prestigious scarers, and skates on his reputation; he's got a mighty roar and intimidating physique, but not much else.

The two are rivals until they get kicked out of scare school (for the dumbest of reasons) and must find a way to prove to the dean (Helen Mirren, on screen as a creepy cross between a dragon and a centipede) that they have what it takes to be truly scary.  The path to victory has them enlisting a fraternity of lovable losers and competing in the scare games, which bear more than a slight resemblance to the Triwizard Tournament in Harry Potter.

Surprisingly, "Monsters University" never deals with its biggest plot point: Mike loves scaring but just isn't scary.  Where does he fit?  Everyone around him says "nowhere," including the dean of the school, who relegates him to classes on can manufacturing.  Anyone who's seen (and remembers) the first film knows that Mike never manages to become scary. In "Monsters, Inc.," He's basically Sulley's handler, but in the timeline of "Monsters U," that job doesn't exist. (Until the montage at the very end, when suddenly it does.)

What changed? Since Pixar movies generally try to play by the same rules as the real world, you would assume that the change didn't happen easily.  No corporation is going to employ two people to do the same job they used to get done with just one person. Mike and Sully would have had to fight hard, and demonstrate compellingly, that the handler position was necessary.  There would have to be some kind of sea change in the scaring industry.  This is a movie I'd like to see; it'd be a creative take on the "workplace crusader" genre.  Granted, it would be hard to make it kid-friendly, but Pixar has never before shied away from a challenge (for heaven's sake, "Wall-E" was about a lone robot stranded on a garbage suffocated planet, but they made THAT kid-friendly) but that's not the movie that got made.

But I'll confess, willingly, that this is just me grousing, because that's what I do - I think, and I grouse. There's a lot to like about "Monsters University," but none of it is all that interesting to write about.  The animation is beautiful, as it always is.  There's a lot of fun attention to detail on the college campus.  The voice work is very good, and I'll give a special shout-out to Helen Mirren, who makes Dean Hardscrabble quietly scary.  The supporting characters are fun variations on old stereotypes. It's well-paced, and never feels like it's trying too hard.  And so forth.

A lot of ink (or… pixels?  what-have-you) about the decline of Pixar, and "Monsters University" does nothing to reverse that trend. It's about on-par with "Brave," (not the adherence to formula in both) better than "Cars 2," and not even approaching the four films before that.  I'd say that at this point, Pixar has settled in to making perfectly adequate kids' entertainment, similar in quality and style to DreamWorks.  They're not annoying, and they're better crafted than most. They're not the uncontested champs in the animation world anymore, but they're still top tier. What's so wrong with that?