IMDb > Monsters University (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monsters University

Monsters University More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 28: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

That's a brilliant old memory about Mike and Sulley

Author: Catwings from U.S.A.
14 November 2015

I love Monsters, Inc. (2001). I think that's a great entertaining film where monsters supply energy from children's scream, and two funny and lovable monsters (Sulley and Mike) meet a two-year-old baby, Boo, and spend invaluable time with her while hiding her from villainous monsters who try to capture her. I liked the story and characters which not only children but adults can enjoy, so when I heard a news about Monster University coming out, I was wondering how the story goes. It's a little bit negative way, because the time will be backward when they are students. I assume that that would be just a university life that can be seen in other universities.

I have to say, half of the story would not be far from your imagination; various kinds of monster students, delighted and dedicated students at the majestic monster university and terrifying teachers, study hard, parties, etc. That's kind of an image of university life. Yet, the visual effect is fantastic. You won't get bored seeing those scenes.

If you watched Monsters, Inc., you remember that Mike, as an assistant of Sulley at Monsters, Inc., is a hard-working and marketing guy, and Sulley is a big and sport oriented guy. Two guys make a good team, achieving a revolution in the monster's world. You will see where their personality and their teamwork come from.

One of the intriguing things in the story is that Sulley suffers setbacks as a monster even though his father is a magnificent monster and holds promise for the future, and Mike doesn't seem to be promised because he is small and not scary. The two opposite monsters happened to work together and struggling to achieve a goal. And Pixar isn't just producing a straightforward story; they trick you to turn out to be a brilliant ending.

A really funny prequel...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
20 August 2015

I really like this movie. I actually like it better than Monsters, Inc., although that is a good movie. I love prequels, most of the time, and I really think they went in a great direction for this movie.

This movie takes us back before Sulley and Mike worked at Monsters, Inc., scaring little kids. Before they were best friends. Back to a time when they went to train to become Scarers at Monsters University. They get paired up as roommates, and they don't get along, at all. Sulley does the least work he can, and Mike always puts his heart and soul into everything he does. But Sulley always seems to get by better than Mike, which of course is very irritating. Eventually, Mike and Sulley have to team up and work together, otherwise, they'll both be expelled from the Scaring Program.

Recommended for: Anyone who liked Monsters, Inc., anyone child, or even child at heart.

Overall, I give this movie an 8 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Awesome.

A Decent effort but not up to the level that Pixar has done before!!

Author: vishaal811 from India
4 August 2015

Monsters University is the prequel to the 2001 movie Monsters, Inc. This is the first instance of a prequel being made in Pixar history. Even though the quality of movies has dropped in recent years, Monsters University has done enough to satisfy its core audience of kids.

The animation as well as the voice acting is done superbly. All the surroundings are well detailed and are comparable to the work done by Miyazaki.

Most of the animated movies follow a formula and this movie is no exception. It describes how Mike and Sullivan team up to be scare partners. Mike has always been an odd monster who has been constantly disparaged by his peers as well as his teachers. On the other hand, Sullivan comes from a reputed family and is widely admired by everyone even if his technique is one-dimensional.

Over the course of the story, both of them manage to get expelled. To make up for this disappointment, Mike decides to form a team which includes amongst others Sullivan as well. Despite being the most mediocre team, they manage to overcome the odds and prove the others wrong.

Monsters University is a feel-good movie that must be seen at face value. The story is not an entirely original one but the movie is good enough for a one-time watch.

It is hard to live up to the rep of the first movie

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
10 June 2015

In this prequel to Monsters inc, we get to see how Mike and Sulley become friends and a team of sorts at the end, because in the beginning they are not exactly that.

This film has much to offer and as many other animation films it has a lot for both kids and grownups, We get to meet a whole bunch of new characters and some of the "old" ones but in their youth. It was very entertaining for the entire family and filled with joy and pranks and much more, a very nice film and a very good introduction to the monsters world and their way of education :)

It is hard to live up to the rep of the first movie and in general my expectations are very high for films from Pixar and Disney, so it gets a little lower rating then the first one.

new and known stuff

Author: Brandon Mullins from Alvin Tx
29 May 2015

The new stuff contains: New soundtracks New setting New characters New villain Known stuff from monsters inc: Same actors for Mike and sully Few known characters Most known soundtracks Now for the review: Story: the movie was about Mike went to monster university to become the most feared monster of all the monsters. But there's one big furry monster trying to beat him out. Sully got jealous of Mike because Mike has a better less violent roar then sully and mike has learn different types of roars. Because of that, Mike passed all the lessons taught to him. Mike is also jealous of sully because sully is more scarier then mike but only knows 1 type of roar. But they soon become best friends. Now is the story any good? Pretty much. Cast: pretty well matched with the characters. Graphics: Same as monsters inc. But improved. Villain: unlike the sequel where the manager was the villain, hard scrabble the headmaster of monster university is not a villain. She acts like one. But isn't. Who's the villain? The leader of ror team. The team that bullies oozma kappa team. Characters: oozma kappa team seems goofy and weak as a scare team. But Mike and sully helps them. And there's one guy with many eyes( I don't know his name) that's act like a kid. Even so this is a family film. Film for all ages. Not just for kids. How old are the characters? Pretty much over 18. Because if they are under 18, they can't be in the university. So yeah. It's college. And they cut out one scene that was from the trailer. Why they do that? That scene was funny.

Pixar shines again in the end.

Author: lhrlinha from Brazil
29 March 2015

Monsters University builds on the world first introduced to us in Monsters Inc. and brings to us the story of how Mike and Sully first met. Nice to see you again guys.

I was a little bit unsure about how good this movie would be like as one of the reasons I love Pixar is their ability to create original stories. Sequels or prequels kind of feel like they are trying to squeeze the most out of a known lucrative fountain, even if they don't have the story to justify it. The completely forgettable Cars 2 is an example of it. But as I also felt that way about Toy Story 3 before seeing it and I HAD NEVER BEEN MORE WRONG in my life.

And so we have this movie. I have to say, it was very fun seeing young Mike and Sully. The production and attention to detail in a Pixar movie is staggering, specially in the way they create their worlds. We see them as teenagers. We feel they are actually in a college and how they deal with their problems.

My only problem with the script is that it feels a bit cliché. The college underdogs, the problems with the dean, and everything else felt like we had seen it before. True, it was well done, but apart from the fact that they are monsters, it is not different from what we had already seen in other movies. We even have a bit of a back story for Randy that feels unnecessary. When the shenanigans wrap up, I thought that would be the end of the movie. Had it ended there it would still be an enjoyable animation movie, albeit a generic and forgettable one, not in par with what Pixar can do.

But it goes on. The last scenes, right up to the climax, are the best part. We can finally see what this movie is about and the magic of Pixar storytelling. The final act has a maturity, a bittersweet taste that is characteristic of Pixar stories that show the world can be a harsh place, but you shouldn't give up.

Not when you have friends like Mike and Sully.

"Monsters University" earns high marks

Author: CleveMan66 from United States
6 February 2015

If you don't have kids or your kids are no longer young children, you are spared having to sit through an endless parade of animated entertainment with varying degrees of actual entertainment value. But sometimes, there's a so-called "kids' movie" that you want to see just for yourself.

"Monsters University", is a prequel to the 2001 hit "Monsters Inc." and shows us how Mike and Sully first met and takes us down the long and winding path to them truly becoming friends. In the original, it's immediately clear how different Mike and Sully are, but meeting them as college students accentuates those differences. In this film, Mike is studious and determined, while Sully is content to rely on his natural scariness and his family legacy to get through the training to become the scarers that we know they eventually become.

Since we know how the story turns out, keeping us interested along the way is a challenge…. but it's a challenge well met. As the future best friends each struggle to overcome their limitations and get through their university program, we see a fun and funny portrayal of college life, monster-style. The movie ends up becoming an animated version of "Revenge of the Nerds", but the climactic scene is especially well done. Add to all that the superior animation (which is enhanced by a pair of 3-D glasses) and the excellent voice work led by returning stars Billy Crystal and John Goodman and "Monsters University" graduates with honors. I give it an "A-".

Not As Good As Monsters, Inc, But Still Enjoyable

Author: David Arnold from United States
15 January 2015

In Monsters University, we join Mike & Sully again but this time it's before their Monsters, Inc days as this is a prequel that takes us through their school days and how they met. Young Mike Wazowski has a dream of becoming a Scarer at Monsters, Inc so he works his way through school to get to Monsters University and it's there he meets James P. Sullivan. Unfortunately they get along together like Tom & Jerry, but after making a deal with Dean Hardscrabble that he and his fraternity of loser friends can win the university's Scare Games he's forced to work alongside Sully when his group is short by one member. Will it be a continuance of butting heads, or Mike & Sully manage to put their differences aside to work together? This is yet another good Disney/Pixar animation, but unfortunately it's nowhere near one of the funniest. While there are slightly amusing parts dotted throughout the movie and it does have it's certain moments, there is a definite lack in the hilarity department. The animation, however, is top notch as always (and as we have come to expect), especially on Blu-ray, with the visuals being crystal clear and really well done.

The voice casting is good as well with the return of John Goodman as Sully and Billy Crystal as Mike and even though I'm not a big fan of Billy Crystal as I think he's about as funny as a funeral, him and Goodman do work well together as the main characters. Steve Buscemi makes a return as Randall Boggs, and Helen Mirren is good as the hard, steely faced, and serious Dean Hardscrabble.

As with Disney/Pixar as well, this movie is good for kids and adults of all ages and even though it has a G rating, there may possibly be two or three scenes that might just be a wee bit scary for the really younger children of the 4 or 5 age group, but overall it's a movie made to be enjoyed by everyone, young and old.

Monsters University may not be as good as the slightly better Monsters, Inc but it's still a decent family movie to watch.

A Charming College Comedy for the Kiddie Set

Author: William Samuel from United States
7 January 2015

Ten years ago Pixar's Monster's Inc introduced us to James P. Sullivan and Mike Wazowski, the top scaring team at the titular corporation. Now Monster's University takes us back to their college days to see how it all started. And surprise of surprises, they weren't always best buddies. Mike is the determined, hardworking underdog; Sully the gifted slacker who counts on family name and natural talent to carry him through as he parties the semester away. They're natural rivals from the moment they meet, but when their respective shortcomings threaten to derail their academic careers, their one chance to get back in the prestigious scaring program is to work together and shape up an unlikely band of misfits into the best scarers on campus.

If any of that sounds familiar it should. It's the basic plot of every college slapstick and buddy comedy ever made, from the Marx Brothers to Animal House to the Simpsons. There's even the requisite rich boy frat house and the strict dean of students, though oddly enough no romantic interest for either star. Owing to its highly formulaic nature Monster's U is fairly predictable, with very little that will surprise experienced viewers. But the funny thing is that for the most part that really doesn't matter. Because while it may use a generations old formula, it uses it very well.

And it's not like the target audience will have seen many college movies before, because this is a children's movie after all, and on that level it works quite well. There are plenty of likable oddball characters and a good number of hilarious hi-jinks. I particularly the delightfully hokey secret initiation and the other awkward situations that arise from the fraternity's unique housing conditions. And I challenge any viewer not to crack up at the sight of Mr. Waternoose in an afro.

I also appreciated the ending, which forgoes the obvious and easy conclusion to create a more powerful crisis and show us what real scaring looks like. Monster's University may not be as grand, as deep, or as original as Pixar's best films, but it's still fun and funny, and a delight for the kids.

Not Pixar's Best, But Surprisingly Great

Author: dmcarefuldriver from United States
29 December 2014

I had pretty low expectations for Monsters University. This is the third sequel Pixar's made out of their last four films, and after seeing the terrible reviews for Cars 2, I assumed this would be another safe way to cash in on old characters and rake in the merchandising money for Disney. Thankfully, this movie isn't just an easy cash grab – there is a solid story here, and while this isn't as amazing as Monsters Inc. or Pixar's other masterpieces, it's undeniably Pixar. The first half is a lot of light action and typical kids-movie goofiness – you'll become acquainted with many new monsters, none of which I found particularly interesting or funny. But after the silliness of the "Scare Games" are over, the movie takes a dramatic shift and delves into the motivations of Mike and Sulley along with their interesting, turbulent relationship. The final third of the movie features multiple surprising plot twists, and since most movies seem to get worse as they progress, I must applaud this one for doing the opposite. Throw in quite a few funny and interesting references/connections to Monsters Inc. and a strong ending that connects the two stories very nicely, and you have a very solid movie.

Not all sequels/prequels are amazing as Toy Story 2. If you're something of that caliber, you're going to be disappointed. But if you'll be satisfied with yet another funny, clever, and engaging Pixar film, I highly recommend Monsters U. It's great to see that Pixar still knows how to make a great movie.