IMDb > Restitution (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Restitution More at IMDbPro »

An utter waste of time

Author: HueMann from United States
27 November 2011

Like another reviewer, I would have rated this movie with a negative number if that were available. Never, never, never again will I watch a movie where the "executive producer," writer and star are the same guy who you never heard of before. This movie is an example of what somebody with too much money and absolutely no acting talent what so ever can do. The professional actors all dealt in a professional manner with the crappy dialog they were given, but Mark Bierlein has no business being involved with show business as an actor or writer. His only other movie, "Street Boss," rated 3.1 on IMDb, was another one where he was the executive producer, writer, and star (what a surprise!)probably because nobody else would risk funding the drivel that he writes.

I got the movie because of William Sadler and Mena Suvari, both fine actors, and because C. Thomas Howell and even Tom Arnold are OK to good actors, but I didn't know who Mark Bierlein was. Now that I do, I'll be on the look out to avoid anything involving this guy in ANY capacity.

Ummm...wow?

Author: innocuous from Raleigh, NC, USA
22 March 2012

I never thought I'd be saying this, but Tom Arnold completely out-acts everybody else in this movie. This includes Sadler and Suvari, who are simply outclassed.

But I'm willing to accept that all the B-list actors just needed a paycheck, and that Bierlin needed a vanity project. What I can't handle is that, like many of the scripts nowadays, this is just so poorly and incomprehensibly written. Bierlin continuously paints himself into corners and then introduces some ridiculous plot turn or event to get his characters free.

Not recommended.

How dare you, sir......

Author: lautanner from U.S.
15 April 2012

The man who produced and starred in this film is a joke. He took decent actors (Et Tu, Bill Sadler?) and gave them some terrible lines to read. Then he had the audacity to put himself in the lead when he has no talent. There are PLENTY of better actors in Michigan than him. But instead of caring about the CRAFT of film-making, he just wanted to fulfill his fantasy of having Mena Suvari play his girlfriend. Mark, when Tom Arnold out-acts you, you need to WISE UP. I am begging you to stop making films. Seriously, your money could be spent on something so much better. Everything about this film is horrible: the special effects, the "action," the cinematography, and the music. The best you can hope for is that the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 crew will get a hold of this and give it the thrashing that it deserves.

Please... Make it stop....

Author: dudemark from United States
25 September 2012

So this movie was really not too bad... And by that I mean that as I watched it, I kept having to wipe the bile away as it dripped down my chin, while simultaneously pinching myself to make sure that I hadn't died and gone to hell.

So wow. Really just mind blown. So we've got this guy, this supposed ex- womanizer (a point that was as un-believable as it was useless... We're talking serious beer gut with a kind of serial killery look) who apparently takes his job as a insurance fraud investigator very seriously, to the point of breaking and entering and lying to old women.

Then this guy, this fellah', if you will: he hooks up with Mena Suvari using his culture as a lure. Lucky guy I guess.

After his dry and slow relationship had sufficiently bored me to death, this fellah' is tricked by his employers and then drugged, brought to a bridge and finally dropped in the water with some chains on his wrists, and apparently a paperclip or key in his pocket. All this to leave him framed for some murders that they - his employers - had to commit to silence people for asking questions about the massive quantities of bath salts that they were shipping through the town in broad daylight (we're talking van loads).

Fast forward one year and we have an equally unattractive, boring and useless character as the investigator, but this one is a writer who is investigating the murders of the town's people. This writer pays $10,000 a month for his condo, and ends up getting pretty deep into the investigation, finding out some pretty dark secrets and all until finally he has to save the girl (Mena Suvari), kill the 5 or 6 thugs, and is finally saved himself by Tom Arnold in a helicopter with a sniper rifle.

Then, in an M. Night Shyamalan styled twist we find out that he was dead the whole time! No.... No... That wasn't it... It turned out that the writer guy WAS the investigator from the beginning. But he's spent a year training and getting money from somewhere. Its like the Count of Monte Cristo if it was written by a greeter from Wal Mart, which I think is actually the case after finding out that our lead actor who's name is Average McAverageson, was not only the writer, but also produced the movie himself! Bravo sir. You get one star because IMDb is kind enough to have that be the minimum.

My theory: The guy who wrote and acted in this movie really liked Mena Suvari (and I mean, who doesn't. She's absolutely gorgeous), and spent 2.5 million dollars so that he could spend four hours filming a scene with her in a bra.

Negative One

Author: westsideschl from United States
14 November 2011

Reasons to not waste one's time: (1.) This Kiosk rental rating is less than one because it's not worth the dollar it cost to rent. (2.) IMDb rating was 2.3 out of 10. (3.) Most of the actors, writer and director have to their filmography credits either movies no one's ever heard of or lots of TV videos and shorts you've never heard of. (4.) First 20 minutes consisted of some guy driving around and then getting out to then walk around with a cheap camera and take pictures. That's it. (5.) The editing and cinematography were so bad I thought a high school student was practicing on creating a collage for art class. Poor editing, very choppy, no flow and when it did have flow it would barely beat out molasses flowing across a winter Canadian prairie. (6.) Acting, was this artificial, e.g. stare at the person in front of you and read a line then camera pans to that person who reads their line, and back and forth ad nauseam. You would have sworn their was a teleprompter off screen. Also seeing that Tom Arnold was a main character, poor soul, didn't help. (7.) Most parts of the story were just not believable: e.g. recently dug grave doesn't have grass above it that looks like the decades old surrounding grass; some guy is tossed into the ocean feet and hands bound with chains, head in a hood while his captors are above him in a boat yet he still manages to escape from them. Must be those fish gills we didn't see. Then for revenge he spends a year getting in shape, practicing martial arts and pistol range shooting to come back and kill dozen or so highly trained killers. Unfortunately he looked like the same skinny, beer belly non- athletic person that he was before the training. The worst part was seeing an equally middle aged out of shape Tom Arnold act like a Marine sharp shooter and nail three bad kills perfectly from a mile away. For his most remarkable shot he, for some unexplained reason, is in a bumpy rent-a-copter with a very shaky rifle. Just laughable. (8.) Overloaded with uncreative stereotypes such as inept police; crooked police; business that does some drug dealing on the side which supports the mansion of the son who wants to take over dad's business; cute blond girlfriend who works in the local pub; a few innocent people die as appetizers.

Hilariously bad, but I can't hate it.

Author: Matt Kracht (krachtm@yahoo.com) from New York
2 March 2013

The plot: A stoic writer investigates the mysterious death of his former partner, an immature private eye who was investigating insurance fraud.

This is a hilariously inept movie, full of cringe-inducing writing, bad acting, and bad directing. I don't know what WHAT they were thinking, except that someone somehow got enough money together to tempt some B movie actors into making a vanity project. Unsurprisingly, it was terrible. Surprisingly, I still liked it. For me, this is one of those "so bad it's good" movies. I don't know. I can't really validate my rating, except to say that Tom Arnold was actually pretty good in this movie.

Restitution is a little bit boring at the beginning, but it starts to get more interesting later on. It never really gets any better, but, if you're like me, that's not really a big issue. I'm willing to watch anything, as long it's not boring... even clichéd, derivative junk like this.

If you enjoy bad movies, check this out. It's got some gloriously bad dialogue, plus it sometimes seems a little, tiny bit self-aware, with an ironic or cheesy scene. It's not much, but it does soften the blow of all that non-ironic ineptitude. If you're looking for something legitimately good, avoid. Avoid like the plague. Do not watch. You will only be disappointed. This movie is only for Tom Arnold fans (do these exist -- if so, I may hesitantly consider myself one), bad movie fans, and people who are very bored.

It's sooooo bad it is fun to watch for about 15 minutes

Author: Sean D from United States
26 January 2013

I was ready to enjoy a bad movie, but honestly It bogs my mind this even got made. Thanks Bierlein & Kawas

I especially love the scene where the rich boss is coming out of his office building where the poster of your previous "movie" is on the side of the wall and oh wait the dude is getting into his limo from a theater where he saw your last home project.

And gotta lova the stolen scenes from godfather and casino. Did you guys lift those scenes all by yourselves or did someone help you copy them down?

It is hilarious indeed. The only thing not funny is money being wasted on this crap.

What did you have on Mena Suvari to get her involved? :)

Anyway all jokes aside I had to stop after 35 40 minutes as much as I had decided to go with the flow and be a part of the joke to enjoy the movie for how bad it was I just could not bear it. So no spoilers here if you but the dude that got killed with the fake nose and the toupee looked a lot like the writer I was itching to laugh some

This may be more fun for a MST3000 type screening with a few drunk friends to watch and joke over.

A very average action movie with very average acting. Tom Arnold and Mena Suvari are best actors in movie..so yeah...I say C-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
8 November 2011

"I liked him, I just can't believe he killed those people." After an insurance investigator is killed and blamed for a string of murders a writer comes into town to write a book on the events. Talking to his girlfriend and his new neighbor he begins to uncover secrets that may lead to his innocence. This movie seems better then it is. The acting is passable...but with Tom Arnold giving the best performance that should help you with the quality involved. Besides the performances the editing was very strange and seemed very choppy. But all that aside this movie was very ordinary and kinda boring. For an action movie this was not full of action and was rough to get through. All that being said I have seen worse. Overall, worth watching only if you love action movies more then any other genre. I give it a C-.

*Also try - Blood Out

Low Rent x10

Author: Marc Davis from Texas
2 January 2014

I don't think I've ever seen choreography of action sequences this sloppy or acting this horrible. Talk about low rent! (Starting off a review like this, you know what's coming is bad. But read on!) By the way, has Tom Arnold fallen this far from A-List? Come to think of it, was he ever really A-List?

Anyway, Restitution is a film directed and co-written by Lance Kawas. If you've never heard of him, don't beat yourself up too badly. Nobody has... (Moving on!)

The film follows the actions of a rookie author, Alex Forrester, as he lands in a sleepy town on Lake Michigan trying to uncover the truth behind a pair of odd killings committed by a highly intrusive, but otherwise decent, insurance investigator. The insurance investigator then ends up dead, himself. Forrester intends to write a book on his findings, but if he digs too deep, he might end up dead just like the insurance investigator.

There are a few plot twists along the way as we build up to the climax and then there's a final plot twist at the very end that puts everything that precedes it into perspective. Some savvy viewers might call the big plot twist way before the ending. If you do call it, then get up and pop in another movie right away! If others are still watching, quickly leave the room and find something else better to do. Like watching a cup of ice melt. Why? Because despite the horrible directing, acting, dialog, cinematography, and everything else, the plot was the only thing remotely interesting Restitution had going for it. So, if you figure it out before the ending, you'll be really angry because nothing else is worth the wait. Furthermore, I don't even think the ending was a big enough payout for the prolonged suspense the writers created to get to the end result.

Another major problem is Kawas' inability to commit to a specific genre, especially early on. At times I didn't know if I was watching a comedy, a mystery, a lost footage film, or even a spoof flick. Directing 101: it's hard for an audience to take a film seriously if they're too confused about what direction the "director" is taking them.

I think if this film had been given a larger budget and great writers that would have tweaked the ending and delivered decent dialog, it could have been a hit. The plot had plenty of potential. However, suspense and a decent plot aside, everything else about this film screams "low rent" to the 10th power. It stinks!

mysteriously shadowy

Author: wwwkeh from Manitowoc Wisconsin
1 January 2014

My wife and I watched this movie New Year's Eve day. This action movie seems to start slowly. Mark Bierleim portrays Bryan, an average Joe who muddles along as an insurance fraud investigator. Mena Suvari plays bartender, Heather, whom Bryan charms after playing the incredible piano music of Chopin. After being yelled at, chased, and later shot at, Bryan decides to quit the insurance fraud business. His boss drugs him and he finds himself chained on a pier with some bad guys who toss him into Lake Michigan. A year passes in which the people Bryan had investigated are killed and he is implicated in their deaths.

Crime novelist, Alex Forester, shows up researching the book he is writing on Bryan's murdering these people. Everyone he talks to ends up mysteriously dying and the film quickly becomes fast-paced and interesting. Tom Arnold plays Alex's neighbor, a sweet, nervous, too-talkative retired marine who is always in the way. The movie ends with an unforeseen twist. While researching this movie online, I discovered it cost only $2.5 million to make. The cinematography was a little shadowy, but my wife liked it and the Midwestern setting lent it familiarity. All-in-all, we enjoyed this fast-paced (after a slow start) movie.