IMDb > The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (2010) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Howling nice, actually

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
1 December 2010

Having sat through this movie, as an adult, I have to say that "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf" is actually quite surprisingly good. I had expected it to be more of a sassy family movie.

First of all, though being a Nickelodeon movie, the story was rather interesting, with just enough action and suspense to keep it all going. Sure, the movie borrows heavily on the old classic werewolf movies, but it does so in a good manner. And it is a good way for younger viewers to get introduced to the werewolves in movies.

And the cast was superb, especially Brooke Shields. She was really good in the role of Madame V, and it was actually sort of refreshing in a way to see her in a role as bizarre as this one was. Victoria Justice, in the role of Jordan Sands, was the one carrying the movie though, being the central character and all, and she did so nicely. But also hats off to Chase Ellison, playing Hunter Sands, he came off very energetic and believable in the role he was given.

The effects in the movie were actually quite good, especially for a movie of this caliber, being Nickelodeon and all. But I suspect it is because the legendary Greg Nicotero had a finger to play here. Whenever he is part of some production, it always turns out great.

Oh, and before I forget. The sets and backgrounds were awesome. There were so many small and fantastic details to everything. From the town square, to the castle, and such. I love small details in movies, and the ones in "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf" actually showed there had been put a lot of effort into the production.

I think "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf" actually is quite suitable for young and mature audiences alike. For the youngsters, there is a lot of action and thrills going on, and the mood is kind of brooding and dark. And for us adults, well, I thought this movie brought a light-hearted and fun take on the werewolf genre, bringing the genre out to a new audience. The story was fast paced, predictable of course, but still it kept a good pace.

I was thoroughly amused throughout the entire movie, and I am sure that it will be a hit with many younger viewers.

Solid and enjoyable teeny-bopper horror effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
4 November 2013

After inheriting a family castle in Romania, a family discovers the dark secret behind the local legend of a vicious beast roaming the city as they race to stop a horde of vampires from taking control of the castle.

This here turned out to be quite an enjoyable and entertaining kiddie-centered horror-comedy. There's a lot of good in this about making an even mix between tween-inspired parts and more normal horror motifs, and there's plenty to both sides in here. The tween backbone here is all well-handled with the different attitudes toward the single father dating, the romance for once isn't obtrusive to the story in detriment for the actual horror, and the beginning where they explore the castle is just filled with some quality gags that really showcase the goofier humor present that really appeals to kids. From the gags trying to scare the sister to the constant sibling-like digs on each other and the side-splitting recurring gag with a character's name, there's some really funny stuff in here and it gets better once the transformation occurs. The antics that depict the transformation, from the heightened sense and reactions to the lessening of objection towards previously-objectionable attitudes and how their date goes which is constantly threatened by her burgeoning abilities for some nice laughs but knows to transition into horror territory nicely as once those abilities creep in, the explanation and back-story about the creature amongst the town's history is wonderfully handled. It makes for a pretty enjoyable time by creating a pretty strong connection through the twisted mythology with the action in the last half which is just non-stop brawling between the two werewolves and the vampire clan through the catacombs under the castle, through the cemetery and finally into the neighboring warehouse providing plenty of fun times as the fight progresses, and overall this is mixed quite nicely with the humorous aspects of the story. The fact that the creatures are done with practical make-up effects that look rather impressive for the realism and great they look in design and movement is another key factor here, and the only real flaws come from the beginnings of their life. The trouble it goes to set her up as a goofy klutz only to be saved by the werewolf curse is way too clichéd and feels too overwrought to be of much originality. As well, the whole thing is dropped once they get to the castle anyway, leaving the inclusion rather curious. Otherwise, there's not much to dislike here.

Rated Unrated/PG: Violence.

GREAT movie!

Author: shacklefordruss from United States
23 October 2010

So I just finished watching "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf", a movie on Nickelodeon. It's about a family in California who is surprised to find out that an Uncle has died and left them a castle in Romania. This is especially exciting to the son, who is obsessed with monsters. The movie takes place mostly on the family's trip to Romania, where they travel to presumably to sell the castle. Upon arrival they meet an interesting cast of characters, including a creepy castle caretaker and an enthusiastic real estate agent who makes cookies with her face on them. Well, the kids soon discover some secrets in the castle, involving the family history. You can probably guess what happens next, you'll have to watch the movie. This movie MIGHT be a little bit scary for very young kids, considering there are monsters involved, with very well done special effects.

This is top notch made for TV movie. It's exciting, funny, and well written. All the acting is great, especially the kids and Madame V. I would say it is better than most Disney Channel Originals (which I love, usually).

I hope to see more movies from Nickelodeon- this one shows they definitely have some real acting talent on the network. Victoria Justice especially, super talented. Congrats to everyone involved with this movie!

OK for Nickelodeon

Author: SnoopyStyle
18 October 2015

Jordan Sands (Victoria Justice) is a dorky teen who became the lady of the home after her mother's death. She's awkward, accident-prone (especially near hunky boys) and picked on by the mean girls. Her father David is struggling as her little brother Hunter gets into trouble for his grotesque pranks. They find that they inherited their Great Uncle Dragomir Ducovic's castle in Wolfsberg, Romania. The California family travel to Romania. Jordan is taken with local boy Goran. Madame Varcolac (Brooke Shields) is the creepy housekeeper. Sketchy real estate agent Paulina Von Eckberg (Brooke D'Orsay) entices David. The kids discover a secret lab and Jordan steps on a broken vial. She becomes meat-loving, athletic and more powerful. Her senses improve and she stops needing glasses. However her transformation doesn't end there.

This is a barely passable tween horror which means that it's not really scary. Victoria Justice has the love of the tween audience. The production is limited TV level. The Vancouver sets don't have the right Gothic look. Brooke Shields is overacting. The werewolf looks like a Halloween costume. The final battle has low grade special effects and some stunts. It doesn't have any fun or horror to interest anyone older than a young tween.

Fun Movie

Author: utgard14 from USA
24 February 2014

An American family inherits a castle in Romania and go there to check it out. The daughter (Victoria Justice) accidentally becomes infected with werewolf blood and soon becomes a werewolf herself. She has to find a cure before the full moon ends or she will be a werewolf forever. There's also some stuff about a family legacy and a funny group of vampires out to get the castle.

Nice family movie with a good cast. Being outside of the target demographic here, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy this as much as I did. Victoria Justice is a likable young actress. I am not familiar with her work on TV but she seems to have a lot of potential. I'll be surprised if she doesn't go on to bigger things. Brooke Shields is really good. I haven't seen her in forever. Long way from Blue Lagoon, I guess. Chase Ellison seems to be having a great time with his part. Every kid dreams of being in a werewolf movie, I think. If they don't, they should. Brooke D'Orsay is a lot of fun here too. The whole cast seems to be having a good time. I always like to see that.

I thought the werewolf effects were amazing for a movie produced for Nickelodeon. I was happy that they actually went the route of using a werewolf costume, as opposed to crappy CGI or the even crappier cheat of having the person turn into an actual wolf or dog so they can save money on effects like so many shows (Vampire Diaries, I'm looking at you).

This is a cute, enjoyable, fun movie with good special effects and an immensely likable cast. That it can be this good while being made for television impresses me a lot. To the reviewer from Romania who was offended at how his country is portrayed in movies like this: lighten up, buddy. If the worst your country has to worry about is that its public image is that of being home to werewolves and vampires, you're doing pretty good compared to the rest of the world.

Racism! Terrible film!

Author: Andrew Masala from Ploiesti
6 March 2014

I do not know where to begin with this extremely horrible movie. I as a Romanian believe that most of North America knows Romania as a country of vampires, and all they heard of is Transylvania. If an American hears a Romania speaking (and I know this from experience), they ask them, are you speaking Polish, Russian? No, we are speaking Romanian, a mixture of Dacian and the Latin language. So it offends me highly that they made all Romanians on the streets yelling like idiots with a Russian accent (not to say that they actually should be speaking Romanian, because not many Romanians know English, especially in Transylvania. You used names completely non-Romanian, such as Goran, 100% Yugoslav. Mme. Varcolac acts extremely retarded, yelling insanely- this does not represent a regular Romanian human being. Ct, Dracula, as you name it, was actually Vlad Tepes, or Vlad III, an important Romanian ruler. This film is as well an embarrassment to my country. It is junk, and I sincerely HATE it when we are called vampires. This film is useless, 1 star, I would give it less if possible.

Absolutely first-class

Author: ToledoTrumpton from Canada
23 September 2015

If there is a genre "Teen Movie" this has to be absolutely the apex of that craft.

I had to stop the movie three times because I was laughing so much I was crying. It may have been the three glasses of wine I had drunk, but I really think it would have been just as good sober.

The cast nail there cheesy lines every single time. The script is spot on and I was entertained from the very beginning to the very end.

For the record the three moments I had to stop the movie were.

1) How do you think she feels. 2) He invented Karaoke. 3) I brake for werewolves. (ok I was three sheets to the wind by this point)

If you don't enjoy this you have no soul - highly recommended.

Great to watch with your kids

Author: lietchfamily from United States
5 January 2013

Now I am a hard core horror fan and that's pretty much all I watch. Well, my kids want to watch a lot of it and of course what I like us not kid friendly. This is actually a movie the kids loved, and I could sit through! The werewolves are actually pretty good looking and I applaud them on that. Not scary at all. Now also we first heard and saw this movie on Nickelodeon. This was made to be for kids. Keep that in mind. My 4 year old loved it. I love that it introduced them to these monsters in a fun entertaining way. Do not watch this movie expecting a new amazing werewolf movie. Go into open minded and watch with the family. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Enjoyable throughout family movie

Author: Tina_V from United Kingdom
16 December 2012

The Boy who Cried werewolf is a very enjoyable movie -- for adults and children alike. Proof to that is both my daughter and I were very entertained throughout the whole movie.

There are plenty of very funny sequences, definitely an uplifting spirits plot.

It has all the predictable pieces, being based on the Aesop's fable "The Shepherd Boy Who Cried Wolf", but was done in an unexpected way for the ending, which makes it not only very watchable, but pleasant and satisfying.

Despite accent problems, and invented locations, to which most audiences may be oblivious, the entire production works well, and my daughter and I definitely recommend it!

a light movie

Author: cain497 from Berlin
2 August 2011

Well as a werewolf fan (almost maniac) i have to say i wasn't expecting much from this movie. I wanted a light watch, with a simple story, werewolves and a good laugh, I think I got everything i desired. Yes, the actors aren't top notch, yes the story is cliché, but it's still a fun watch. The werewolf costumes aren't THAT bad, and, well as a werewolf fan i have to admit i envy the guy who got to be a werewolf from birthright ^_^ And the cute main actress is quite aluring both as a "invisible" girl at school and as the hootie at the end. In my opinion u should not cross out this movie just because it's not top notch, if you like werewolves, a good laugh, i think you'll be satisfied.