IMDb > Winnie the Pooh (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Perfectly gentle movie for children

Author: derelict87 from United States
16 July 2011

My little girl is 5 years old. I was afraid this would be an update of Pooh, an attempt to make him and his world more contemporary...try to compete with Transformers and Harry Potter.

To my delight this is not the case. If you let your youngster watch this movie they are in for a gentle play date with old friends. Perfectly pitched silliness for my young one, she literally belly laughed twice. Never once trying to cross that line with "risque humor for adults".

I was so happy they avoided the intensity of Toy Story 3. Winnie the Pooh is a small, quiet and perfect, like my little girl.

Simply brilliant. If you have a heart, you'll love this

Author: tony-peacham from United States
9 June 2011

I was waiting to see this for my 3 year old first visit to a cinema and I have to say that although I wasn't brought up on Winnie myself, my Daughter loved it and I have to say I was nothing but impressed with this wonderful piece of simplicity, light humor and pure joy of the film and it's characters.

If you want to spend an hour or so just seeing life in it's simplest childhood joy as it should be for all children, then see this.

My Daughter loved it and all she said at the end was " again, again! " while attempting to finish off all her popcorn!

One of the best films of the year and in some time to boot.

Back to the childhood innocence I know and love...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
16 April 2011

I have always been a fan of AA Milne's charming and whimsical stories since an early age. The 1977 movie The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh epitomised the childhood innocence that made the stories so wonderful, as did the TV series The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I also liked a vast majority of the various film and TV incarnations that were made between then and now.

Ever since hearing of this movie I knew I wanted to see it. Part of me knew it would work, and for me when I saw it last night it did. My only complaint of Winnie the Pooh is the length, at barely an hour(exluding the credits and the short) the film is too short. Otherwise it is a wonderful movie that like the 1977 movie and TV series captures perfectly the childhood innocence that I know and love. Not only that, it is also a welcome return to the traditional animation style as seen with the original movie.

Speaking of the animation it is great. I always felt The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh along with The Rescuers was the best looking of the 1970s Disney movies, it had an elegant and warm feeling to it. Winnie the Pooh maintains that elegant and warm feeling with colourful backgrounds, cutely drawn characters and ravishing colours. The songs and music heard in the movie aren't quite classic status perhaps, but they are very memorable in the melodies and sweet in the lyrics.

The dialogue is delightfully droll, with a lot for children and adults to enjoy. The story is structurally thin somewhat, but it is never dull thanks to the bright and breezy pace and the familiar yet absolutely delightful story lines including Pooh hunting for honey, Eeyore hunting for his tail and the search for the creature that Owl thinks has carried off Christopher Robin. The characters are engaging and wonderfully whimsical, Pooh is still endearing, Tigger is very funny and Piglet is cute.

The voice acting is terrific really. These are not the original voice actors, and most of the voice actors(excepting Jim Cummings) in the likes of Tigger Movie, Pooh's Heffalump Movie and Piglet's Big Movie don't return, but the new voice actors do make an effort to not sound too different. Jim Cummings still does a wonderful job as Pooh and Tigger, and John Cleese for me is the most thoughtful narrator of any Winnie the Pooh film since Sebastian Cabot. I wasn't so sure though about Tom Kenny at first as Rabbit, but he being a very talented voice actor is also good.

Overall, delightful, charming and a lovely nostalgic trip down memory lane, if only it wasn't so short. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Winnie the Pooh is great fun

Author: vincent coia (mcoia) from United States
25 June 2011

I was able to see a special screening of this movie at the L.A. Film Festival and I was very excited for it. For starters, I'm a huge Winnie the Pooh fan and the 1977 animated movie is one of my favorites. However, even though I was very excited to see it I was a bit worried that this might be a disappointment because I heard the running time for the film was less than an hour. Well, while watching this movie my worries were pushed to the side. I loved everything about this movie and in the end I was quite pleased with the length of the film and when I thought about it I'm not sure why that was a worry for me. Winnie the Pooh isn't not something that can be stretched to 90 minutes without having some major filling and this movie had none.

There have also been some talks about the animation and how it's in 2d and that is one of the reasons I was excited. Winnie the Pooh wouldn't work in any other type of animation and so Disney made the right choice in returning to the 2d for this movie. The characters all look great, especially Eeyore and Christopher Robin. Another thing that surprised me about the movie was how every character was well represented. I was worried that the story might not focus on all the characters and that some would be left out. However, that was not the case. Every character has their fair of great moments, from Eeyore's tail contest to Rabbit's silly antics later in the movie.

I think another reason why this film succeeds is because of the story line. There is plenty of going on, but it doesn't get overstuffed and it doesn't drag. The movie starts off on the characters looking for a new tail for Eeyore and smoothly transitions into the characters trying to rescue Christopher Robin because they miss read the letter he left at his house. The voices for all the characters are great and it's another reason this film succeeds. Everyone involved adds something to each character and truly makes it their own, something a lot of other animated movies fail at.

Lastly, the score for the movie was great and really added something special to the scenes that carried the movie and hearing Zooey Deschanel sing the Winnie the Pooh theme song was terrific. When I think back on it there was nothing that disappointed me in this movie and it was everything I could ever want from a Disney movie

The Most Adorable Movie

Author: mary716 from United States
15 July 2011

I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I was to see this movie. Winnie the Pooh has by far been the most important animated character in my whole life. As a kid, I had a Winnie the Pooh chair that I would sit in and I've had countless Winnie the Pooh pajamas and stuffed animals. I saw the preview and started tearing up because it looked so cute and it reminded me that I'm growing up.

The movie was incredible. The animation, the voices, the story, and the good old Winnie the Pooh feeling, all mixed with the great songs and hilarious dialogue made this movie truly special. I walked out of the theater feeling sticky sweet like the "huny" Pooh loves so dearly. Truly my favorite Pooh movie.

MUST SEE!!!!

The side of Disney not seen in years

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
16 July 2011

Winnie the Pooh is a marvelous and innocent adventure that has been anticipated by me since its trailer debut. Every time I see the trailer, equipped with the wonderful song "Somewhere Only We Know," I break down. There is not a thing sad in the trailer, but just the soft melody of the song, combined with warm and vibrant characters from my younger years just puts me in tears. It's cute, innocent, and just the way I wanted it.

I am beyond grateful that this didn't support the 3D epidemic sweeping our nation these past years. Winnie the Pooh is made up of hand-drawn animation that gives itself a water-color sort of look. It's truly a throwback, and is a nice break from all the CGI animation that, while nice to look at, can't match the feel of classic animation. I couldn't imagine Winnie the Pooh in CGI anyway.

Before the movie, we get a short called The Ballad of Nessie, a kind and gentle Loch Ness Monster who lives with her rubber-ducky. Her pond gets taken over by a golf company and she is forced to move out and find a way home. The short is sad, and well crafted simultaneously. Combined with gentle narration.

On with the film, the story starts out as Pooh (Cummings) trying to find some "hunny." Then, much to the surprise of everyone, Eeyore's (Luckey) tale has gone missing. Christopher Robin (Boulter) holds a contest with all his friends to find a new tale for Eeyore. Whoever finds a good enough tale will win a jar of honey.

The next day, the gang still tries to find the tale when they find a note from Christopher Robin saying "Gon out back soon C.R." Owl (Ferguson) convinces the gang that the "back soon" means "The Backson," a vicious monster who does so many unexplainable things which they make up on their own. So now it's up to everyone to go into the woods and find The Backson and get their friend back.

There is a lot of singing in the film. Lots of well composed songs are in here, my favorite being "The Backson Song." I wasn't under the impression this was a musical, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. The target audience for this is most likely between 4-8. So to put in a lot of soft and melodic songs in it was a good idea.

Winnie the Pooh is perhaps the most gentle film I can remember. Even the "scariest" scenes won't freak out the little ones, and everything is so calm, so tender, and so unobtrusive it's wonderful. Growing up with Winnie the Pooh, this film was everything I wanted it to be. I wanted it to be nostalgic, warm, and inspiring.

During moments of this film, my eyes watered. I can't answer if someone asked me "Why?" I think it was because the film was so joyful and very sweet. Plus, these are characters that I've known since my childhood. I was grateful they didn't play the song "Somewhere Only We Know" from the trailer. I would've broke down in front of everyone.

The voice acting is beautiful. The film doesn't market its actors either. There is no grade-A "Brad Pitt," "Ellen DeGeneres," "Johnny Depp" marketing scheme here. The actors who voice the characters were chosen because they were fit to voice whoever they were able to. They weren't picked because their names look good on a poster.

This is probably the best Disney film in years. It goes back to everything that made Disney so great when they started off. Hand-drawn animation, a lovely story line, and a positive feel. Even at an incredibly short sixty-nine minutes, (minus, maybe, five from the beginning short) Winnie the Pooh is lovely, crafty, and limitless.

Voiced by: Jim Cummings, Tom Kenny, Craig Ferguson, Travis Oates, Bud Luckey, and Jack Boulter. Narrated by: John Cleese. Directed by: Stephen Anderson and Don Hall.

Who Thought Disney Could Make Another Masterpiece?

Author: patrickwigington from United States
17 July 2011

Deep in the Hundred-Acre Wood lives an eclectic assortment of cuddly creatures. They've lived there for as long as any of us can remember— first coming to the big screen with The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Although Disney's later attempts to give A. A. Milne's characters more movies have been somewhat successful, they never matched the original. However, the new Winnie the Pooh is just as funny, hypnotic, and wonderful as the original.

The film begins with Pooh finding himself in a familiar predicament; he's run out of honey. As he sets out to find some, he gets involved in all sorts of predicaments with his friends. From trying to find a replacement tail for Eeyore to setting traps for the "Backson" monster, Pooh's adventures are all at once familiar and refreshingly new.

The new characters for the voices are all wonderful, sounding enough like the originals that the difference is barely noticeable. Tom Kenny as Rabbit and Craig Ferguson as Owl are both highlights. But it's Bud Luckey as the perpetually melancholic Eeyore that is the most fun to listen to. The characters themselves are, of course, as lovable as ever; Pooh being "a bear of very little brain" and Owl always rambling on incoherently. John Cleese (of Monty Python fame) is wonderful as the narrator, and the characters interact with him and the letters of the book just as they did in the original; only this time they weave it seamlessly into the plot.

Winnie the Pooh is a beautiful movie. For the most part it was drawn by hand, which is something that doesn't happen too often these days. The colors are vibrant, the backgrounds moody, and Pooh's honey dream- sequence ranks up there with his heffalumps and woozles dream.

The movie is short, clocking in at only a little over an hour, but it is perfect. Whimsical, and gently beautiful, Winnie the Pooh is a masterful Disney animated film, ranking with the likes of Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Bambi. No matter how old you are, this movie gives off enough warmth to fill anyone's heart with joy.

That Warm Fuzzy Feeling

Author: Tom Orrow from United Kingdom
25 April 2011

Going to see this movie was like stepping back into childhood. I had the 1977 movie on VHS when I was young and I wore that tape out with countless viewings. I was also a big fan of the cartoon show than ran during the nineties and the many direct-to-video films that came out around that time too. So I already walk into this movie with nostalgia on my mind - knowing roughly what to expect, and the film delivers pretty much what you've seen before.

It follows the structure of the 1977 movie mostly, telling three different stories over the length of the film. Which may have worked in 1977, but today if you cut the film apart into these three sections you could just release them as specials on the Disney channel.

The voice work is as good as it needs to be. Jim Cummings is enigmatic as always and Bud Luckey is a nice addition as Eeyore. It's not Disney's best dubbing job but far from their worst.

The film is far too short, there was definitely time for another story should there have been one. 70 minutes shouldn't really be acceptable for a cinema release, under any circumstances.

All qualms I have with the movie are overshadowed by its innocence and joy. Children who go to see this movie may love it, but adults may love it more.

a Disney masterpiece

Author: naturalborndirector from asteroid B-612
21 April 2011

I was 8 when I first read Winnie Pooh, I had the book until recently I gave it to now 8 year old child. I would get into a fight with anyone who offends Winnie. I don't even think I will see Cars 2. I can't enjoy 3D computer animation. It feels so dead and distant, especially compared to cel animation which in contrast feels so alive and immersive. There simply can be no comparison. 3D computer animation ends with your popcorn, sweet, xxl, extra butter, ewwww. Hand drawn animation stays with you. Computer animation can amuse you, while hand drawn animation has ability to enchant you, mesmerize you, transform you to another world where extraordinary things happen. I don't mind employing Toon Boom as long as it doesn't overshadow the magic touch between the artist's crayola and the paper. What is done on this cartoon is pretty amazing. They capture the sense of Milne's original and translate it into array of frames brilliantly. It is an outstanding experience. I still remember the immaculate excitement I would get from reading the book, and this cartoon has brought me that feeling, it made me feel like I am 8 again and I take in the adventures of Winnie Pooh like oxygen. Disney has done a terrific job, I am so glad they still put out traditional animation to the big screens, nothing can substitute the feeling of a drawing come alive. If you still have that 8 year old kid in you, if you still remember that feeling of ultimate innocence, then go see this one and get the shot of the childhood serum, trust me, you won't get this kind at any other screening.

"Short and Sweet: A Bear's Snippet of Flawless Storytelling"

Author: jonnyhavey from United States
18 July 2011

"Winnie the Pooh" is not just another classic animated book transformed into a live action movie. Pooh and crew know exactly where they belong; in classic 2D animation leading to a flawless transcription of these characters to contemporary times. "Pooh" does not trying to impress anybody and avoids falling into modern day pop culture stereotypes, instead it is simpler than ever making no better way to spend an hour of authentic entertainment for all ages. The story follows the ideals of the original 1926 book by A.A. Milne originally made into animated productions starting in 1966 told in the definitive page by page storybook form. Narrated by John Cleese ("Monty Python"), Pooh (Jim Cummings, "Princess and the Frog") begins his day like any other. After sleeping in, he wakes up to an empty honey jar inevitably initiating a quest for honey. On the way he runs into Eeyore (Bud Luckey, "Toy Story 3") who is still as downtrodden as ever and misplaced his tail giving Pooh another task to complete. The issue is brought up with the rest of the gang; Tigger (Also Jim Cummings), Rabbit (Tom Kenny, "Meet the Robinsons"), Owl (Craig Ferguson, "How to Train Your Dragon"), Kanga (Kristen Anderson-Lopez), Roo (Wyatt Hall) and Christopher Robin (Jack Boulter). They decide to make it a contest to find Eeyore a replacement tail. After their creativity runs out, Christopher Robin goes missing sending the bunch into song as they find their friend, Eeyore's tail and "huny" for Pooh.

Anyone who grew up with "Pooh" will be instantly transported back to a humbler time through this short and sweet snippet of flawless storytelling. The most important accomplishment of the film is staying true to its routes because of its ability to create context. What do I mean by context? Its simple; from its primary coloring, delicate characterization, stark banter, and tranquil plot, everything is coherently joint together. It is a franchise true to itself and is the best movie parents have had in years to take their little ones to. Its just plain old' harmless, straightforward fun without any unnecessary forced plot conflicts or hang-ups on contemporary spectacle.

Many people may feel short-changed because of the hour runtime, even though this is part of what makes it what it is. This is not a monumental life changing film by any means; therefore, if you are expecting a film synonymous with "Toy Story 3" you will be very disappointed. In the contemporary eye of animated cinema "Winnie the Pooh" does not stand a chance at making money.

A perfect little tale everyone young and old should see at some point because while "Pooh" will not make history, it is a historical flashback to the early days of cinema.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]