IMDb > StreetDance 3D (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
StreetDance 3D

StreetDance 3D More at IMDbPro »

A good example of dance movies, which are not real movies.

Author: Mario from Milano, Italy
8 June 2010

Let's be honest, here. Nobody expects any real movie quality from a dance movie, except for beautiful and entertaining dance moves and a director who's skilled enough to shoot them adequately. Anybody complaining about the cheesiness of dialog or the non-existent plot is missing the point. Dance movies are cheesy by definition ("Dirty Dancing", anyone?), so the viewers must adopt a kind of "suspension of belief" and embrace what is being offered. Does anybody enjoy ballet or operas for their plot? Compared to an opera libretto, an episode of "Gossip Girl" is "Citizen Kane". "Streetdance" has the merit of presenting nice choreographies (especially the very interesting finale) accompanied by an enjoyable soundtrack, with also a bit of professional acting courtesy of Charlotte Rampling. The 3D effects offer a pleasant support to the dancers' efforts. It's an honest movie. It doesn't promise anything more than what it is.

A Nutshell Review: StreetDance 3D

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
23 July 2010

For a minute this looks like another American film that just can't wait to jump onto the 3D bandwagon, and taking along the teenage dance film fan demographic with them. But surprise, it's a British film, and the Brits can street dance just as well, going heads up with yet another upcoming American dance film continuing the Step Up franchise, also presented in 3D.

So is this new three dimensional format any good for this genre? There are a few moments and scenes here specifically crafted with 3D in mind, such as the tossing of items toward the screen, from hats to a busy food fight in a school canteen. There's also some jarringly added bullet-time choreography during one of the street dance battles in a club, but the real treat here is for that depth of field when we sit around and admire the precision-timed and energetic dance choreography from procedural balletic moves to raw, improvisational street dancing.

But this film does go the distance to explain and show the basics 101 of street dance, since it has characters from different camps put together to try and influence one another, and from their initial adversity come craft something unique from its diversity. All these thanks to Charlotte Rampling's Helena, a ballet teacher looking to infuse some spunk, energy and drive into her lethargic ballet students who are looking to impress some judges for entry into the prestigious Royal Academy of Dance.

At the opposite corner, we have a crew looking forward to their participation in the UL Street Dance Competition finals, only for their leader Jay (Ukwell Roach) handover the reins to his girlfriend Carly (Nichola Burley) who has to step up to the plate and assert her own leadership style in the crew's final lap to glory. To make matters worse, she has a lack of EQ with her teammates save for a few core supporters, and has to gather logistics from scratch, hence a marriage of strange bedfellows when she takes up Helena's offer.

Simply put, the story's very typical of dance films, with the usual themes of clashing of cultures, and to learn from each other's differences. Much like a Zero to Hero story with the usual cliché trappings involving romance, betrayal and friendship, with that dash of comedy, eye candy cast and of course, authentic street dancing moves unseen (at least to me) put on the big screen, made to come alive through 3D technology properly done. You'll come to expect that usual big bang finale where the fruits of the characters labour become the money making showpiece that the teenage crowd will line up for, and probably emulate, and it's not hard to see how this cannot go down that path of glory.

It's something that street dance enthusiasts, and they're growing by the numbers everyday, will embrace and flock to the cinemas for, and hey, the fusion of ballet and street dancing elements does pose an intriguing proposition. But after all, it's not about the techniques and styles used, but that of the human spirit of expression and perseverance, practice and camaraderie that ultimately soars above all. Recommended!

Ballet + Streetdance = Breaking Point

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
3 November 2010

'StreetDance 3D' is pretty much another dance movie of the current crop of recently released dance films such as 'Step Up'. Now, if one likes dance and energy, such as myself, they can enjoy this one. The story is easily predictable and it doesn't have anything new to offer but I felt that it was well told and the viewer does care for the characters. There's plenty of energy, drama and lightness to entertain. The acting of Nichola Burley and co is very good. Charlotte Rampling also does a fine job as the encouraging kind-hearted teacher. However, the highlights of 'StreetDance 3D' are the dance sequences. Each of the actors/ dancers give their all to the performances exuding energy, passion and love for music and dance. The refreshing and innovative combination of ballet and streetdance is wonderful to watch. I didn't see the 3D version but I doubt that it would effect my liking.

Forget step up, it's over!

Author: Tamara Page from United Kingdom
30 June 2010

I don't really like dance movies. Dirty dancing has its brilliant moments, but that's generally my limit. So when was forced to see street dance 3d I was very depressed. But surprisingly i loved it! It was very enjoyable with brilliant dance, storyline, tension and romance. You don't get much better than that! It isn't as good as the great dance movie, dirty dancing, but it's better than all the other mediocre dance movies, like step up, you got served and honey all put together. Girls, drag your boy friends to see this film- he'll hate it with a vengeance, but if you like dance, tension and romance, you'll love it!

Mediocre Story garnished with breathtaking moves

Author: beyer-sebastian from Germany
4 May 2010

I am not a big dance movie fan, but I have to admit this mix of the somewhat raw energy of streetdance and the controlled grace of ballet is enjoyable.

First and foremost the brilliant streetdance choreographies are what make the movie worth seeing. The story on the other hand is mostly very predictable and does not offer anything new. I also have to say, that I think you can just as well see this film in the normal version as there were only two scenes with motion directly towards the camera. To me that is the only big difference the relatively new 3D technology makes. I always enjoy when objects or people seem to leave the screen and fly directly towards me.

In a movie where most of the time a lot of people are in motion, I would have expected more of that and think it could have been achieved easily by using more different camera positions. Of course that is much easier in the animated movies, such as Avatar or How to train your dragon. A few mouse clicks did the trick in those cases. But I guess as filmmakers are learning to adjusts to this, we might see more true 3D shots in the sequel.

Streetdance

Author: jonathanruano from Canada
27 September 2011

"Streetdance," to an extent, shares the same problem as other movies about dance. When the first dance movie (which was probably "Save the Last Dance) appeared, it seemed fresh and original not least of all because of the choreographed dance routines. But now the genre of dance films can do little more than repeat the same formula and the result is a bit tedious. Incidentally I had a similar reaction to the martial arts films. The first Karate Kid was great from beginning to end. But the spectacle and energy of these martial arts film soon faded and even the attempts to spice up the genre with explosions and shoot outs did not quite work.

So does "Streetdance" suffer from this trend? Yes. But does "Streetdance" also make up for this fact? To a surprising degree, it does. There is not too much to be said for the plot which is riddled with so many clichés, including the climatic little dance battle at the end, that it appeared to be recycled from the "Step Up" genre. Yet it is fresh in some respects. Nichola Burley, for example, brought something new to her performance as the head of the streetdance group Carly who also has to help ballet dancers bring some fire to their performances. Nichola is genuinely likable, sweet and fun all at the same time and these traitsallow her to get away with saying some very ridiculous grandstanding speeches like (I'm paraphrasing) we are going to combine ballet and street dance and "create something beautiful." If a lesser actor, like Amanda Seyfried, Megan Fox or even Kat Dennings, spoke like that, it would never seem believable. But Nichola miraculously makes scenes like that work. Nichola is also aided along the way by other likable characters like the implied love interest Tomas (Richard Winsor). Charlotte Rampling, who played one of the heads of ballet school Helena Fitzgerald, delivers the kind of great performance one would expect from someone with her calibre, even though she is unfortunately not given much to say or do. "Streetdance" also has some memorable scenes, such as the one where two street dancers pretending to be manniquins communicate with a little boy, who is also a great street dancer, through the medium of dance. Another memorable scene has Carly and her co-worker turning their mundane job of making sandwiches into a dance routine, which was kind of neat.

6.3/10

Enthralling Moves in Spotlight

Author: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com from Indonesia
5 October 2010

I always love musical movies, but what I never realized before is that there is one other category that I may love it as well as musical movies, it is dance movies! "StreetDance" is a perfect example of today's dance movie. The story just seems to be another repetition from other similar movies. It's all about rebellion against establishment of formal institutions and it's also about how to express yourself. It's the whole elements that have been occurring since "Footloose" (1984) to the modern breathtaking flick like "Step Up 2: The Streets" (2008), in which I think that it is still the best presentation of our time. The modern dance movie is also always about traditional art-school dancer Vs. freestyle street dancer, where on thiz movie is street dancers vs. ballet dancers. It is about Carly (Nichola Burley) and her dance crew which later named "Breaking Point". They have to mix together with several ballet dancers from The Royal Dance School in exchange for rehearsal place. Nichola Burley can deliver her character smooth enough to take us into energizing mood with her unique British accent and some enthralling dancing moves as well. Thiz movie really put Burley into the spotlight since last time I saw her in psychological thriller "Donkey Punch" in 2008. Other Cast members are Charlotte Rampling, Richard Winsor and real life professional dancer like George Sampson. Thiz movie is also featuring "Britain's Got Talent" stars, Diversity and Flawless. It is very exciting to observe how the recent street dance style has evolved outside of dance studios. The movie is surprisingly directed by first time Directors, Max Giwa and Dania Pasquini. It is delightful and enjoyable movie. It's filled with fascinating choreography and heart-throbbing hip hop music. The pop group N-Dubz said, "We Dance On".

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com

Has a thumping soundtrack and a range of enthralling dance sequences.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
4 June 2010

This could very well be the easiest review I've had to write. Do you like dancing? More particularly, do you like street dancing? However you answer this will determine if StreetDance 3D is for you. There's not much more to it really.

Those who enjoy eclectic, off-the-wall break-dancing will have great fun with the plethora of set pieces on offer here, especially the routines performed by previous Street Dance Championship winners The Surge (clearly a real-life dance group) who were engrossing to say the least. On the flipside, if you replied no to my previous question then perhaps you should steer clear. You won't be able to look past the atrocious acting – everyone from b-girl wannabe Burly to the sincerely out of place Rampling to the total cheeseball Winsor are on extremely poor form – the wafer-thin plot or the laughably rubbish dialogue all for the sake of some killer moves.

Strangely enough this is the first British 3D film to be produced. Thankfully it wasn't just tacked on at the end similar to what we saw in Clash of the Titans or The Final Destination, but the movie was actually filmed in digital 3D, thus utilising the feature to decent effect. It's arguable that a flick like this overly benefits from the extra dimension, however the additional depth is definitely noticed in a few of the dance segments.

With a thumping soundtrack and a range of enthralling dance sequences, StreetDance 3D could be the perfect no-brainer movie for you.

3 out of 5 (1 - Rubbish, 2 - Ordinary, 3 - Good, 4 - Excellent, 5 - Classic)

Clash of the Dances

Author: kosmasp
19 October 2010

I was really entertained when I watched this in the cinema. The story is nice enough (yes clichés ahead, but it's a picture about dancing, about overcoming odds, you expect it to have a few), with obstacles build in the way, that you will expect and predict, but all told nicely. And it did not originate from the US, which came as a surprise to me (since almost every dance movie minus the Bollywood fare, seems to be made in the US)!

I liked the acting (for the movie that it is) and the dance scenes were good enough, to be told in 3-D. Though I have to admit, that there are a few sequences in the new Step up, that easily put anything to shame that is shown here. But in contrast to that, the story here is more solid, more believable (in my eyes). Nice entertainment and unfortunately overseen at the Box office (at least that's what I heard)

Great moves, and some subtle messages

Author: quillbase-lit
16 July 2013

The dance routines are great - of course. This is a dance movie, after all. The ballet and street dance are given equal treatment in terms of respect and quality. The overt messages are all good, if a bit unoriginal: "Don't chase success, make success", "Never give up on your dreams", "Loyalty comes before personal gain", and "Respect differences". This last, however, comes with an interesting, unspoken lesson.

All through the film, we see how street dance is more "accepting" than ballet. In ballet, you must move in set ways, be of a certain age and body-type, and follow the traditions. In street dance, everyone is welcome, and pretty much anything goes. This is said, both in the dialogue and in the characters' actions. So, ballet-dancers are snobs, and street dancers are cool, right?

Except, when Breaking Point begin their competition performance, they open with classical music. The entire crowd starts to boo, without even waiting for the dance to begin. The booing and jeering doesn't stop until the music changes to something that they approve. This is the "cool", "anything goes" street dance scene, but they are just as prejudiced as anyone else.

A balanced message, and all the better for being unacknowledged in the film. No scene is perfect, but within any and every genre you will find tolerant, open-minded and friendly individuals.