IMDb > My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Girlfriend's Boyfriend

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend More at IMDbPro »

A love story with a twist.

Author: MissAngelCakes from United Kingdom
3 October 2010

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend stars Alyssa Milano (Charmed) as Jesse, an unlucky-in-love woman who recently gave up on finding the right guy, all until two perfect men walk into her life. Jesse must try hard to keep it a secret from her two suitors, while attempting to find out which one will have her heart.

- I was watching this movie with little expectations, All rom-coms seem the exact same to me, the same cliché's and obvious plots. But I can gladly say I was very surprised by this unique rom-com. Alyssa Milano still looks as youthful as ever and her acting is good. Christopher Gorham plays one of the love-interests and shines throughout the movie, the chemistry was great between them. Tom Lenk plays Jesse's brother, who provides a comedy side-plot that definitely made me laugh.

- The only problem I had with this movie was that it got a little boring at times and scenes were dragged out longer than they could have been.

- During the end of the movie, there is an interesting twist in the tale, one that did indeed catch me by surprise and was something I'd never seen in a rom-com before.

A pleasant surprise

Author: Cory Myer
15 February 2011

Wife and I picked this movie at random to watch on Valentines Day, never having heard of it. We were pleasantly surprised, in more than one way.

I wouldn't say it was perfect, it was a tad cheesy in parts. But overall it was charming, funny, and refreshingly very clean...nobody sleeping around or bad language that I can remember. And Alyssa Milano is easy on the eyes.

And the twist at the end was very creative...as surprising as anything M. Night Shyamalan ever did. My wife can usually see movie plots miles away, but was totally blindsided by this one.

Cute, unpredictable, and funny!

Author: beckybeanne-1 from United States
17 December 2010

"My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" is just what a romantic comedy should be: cute, romantic, and funny. It's also incredibly clean. The writer/director didn't rely on any gross-out or sex humor; instead, the story was filled with genuinely funny moments. Especially watch for the gum commercial--I laughed out loud repeatedly (and am chuckling again as I think about it)! The leads do a great job, and Tom Lenk nearly steals the show as the main character's brother. This isn't your predictable chick flick; sure, you can probably guess who will end up together, but the route the movie took from point A to point B wasn't at all what I expected. I'm always on the lookout for movies I can recommend without reservation, and this is definitely one. Highly recommended!

Clever and different!

Author: Muldernscully from Roy, Utah
30 June 2011

I absolutely loved this movie. Daryn Tufts writes an excellent script that is different than the majority of the romantic comedies these days. I am always on the lookout for romantic comedies that aren't cookie-cutter predictable. Yes, you can almost always tell the two main leads are going to end up together, but this movie takes such an unexpected path, it's quite refreshing. Don't be dissuaded by the low score here on IMDb. The majority of the user reviews for this movie are very positive. I am quite surprised that this wasn't picked up by a major distributor like Napoleon Dynamite was by Fox Searchlight. It deserved to be. Finally, it was refreshing to see a cute and clever romantic comedy without the vulgar language and sexual situations. It hearkens back to Sleepless in Seattle in that manner. Give 'My Girlfriend's Boyfriend' a chance and let it touch your heart.

Recommended, surprisingly entertaining. Love, humor, drama, all in one.

Author: dan_duranjr
14 July 2011

I was bored and found this movie, so decided to watch it with my girlfriend. The movie started feeling like a low budget movie, but who cares about that? I think that we should at least acknowledge producers and directors who are trying to become big. This producer made a fantastic low budget movie.

The actors did fantastic and the movie was very clean. No nasty scenes, no cursing, nothing offensive. Such an inspiring movie with HUGE jaw-dropping twist at the end that will leave you shocked. Recommending this movie, to some friends. In my opinion, I think they did a very great job with this movie.

Young and cheery rom com

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
18 February 2011

It's amazing what you will find on Netflix: Watch Instant. I occasionally surf the Instant Queue section using my Xbox 360 to find some TV show I can never keep up with, a short film, or even a full length film I've heard nothing about. When I saw the title, it got my attention. When I saw Michael Landes in the cast, I pressed play. Ever since seeing Final Destination 2 in 2003 I've had a man crush on Landes. Not much has changed about his persona, or way of acting since 2003. That's a good thing.

The film, to my knowledge, was in very limited release. It had almost ZERO marketing at all, and very few critics had reviewed it. It's a damn shame too, because I wasted time seeing Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Grown Ups, when I could've been seeing this feel good, cleverly made rom-com.

Ethan (Gorman) is a stressed out, hopeless writer who after his recent publishing rejection, is now thinks of giving up writing. As he sits alone and stressed at a coffee shop he runs into a young divorced girl named Jesse (Milano). Jesse and Ethan get to talking and socializing, and it ends with Jesse giving Ethan her phone number.

Right after a happy Ethan leaves the shop, an older confident advertising executive comes in the shop and starts to socialize with Jesse as well. Jesse now finds herself in the mix of two different guys, and she is torn on which one she will pick. This is where Jesse's life begins to hit a point of confusion and stress over Mr. Right.

The best part about the film is the ending. I will not spoil anything, but it's one of the most unexpected endings I've seen in recent years. There is not a whole lot to say about My Girlfriend's Boyfriend other than that it's a very humble yet interesting film. It's got easy romantic dialog that flows nicely, as well as three young and vibrant cast members I look forward to seeing more of.

Especially Alyssa Milano as I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Hall Pass.

Starring: Alyssa Milano, Beau Bridges, Michael Landes, and Christopher Gorham. Directed by: Daryn Tufts.

An Unpretentious But Memorable Look at Love

Author: tabuno from utah
29 April 2012

Rarely does a romance movie stand out and if it does, it usually has some really weird or unusual premise that literally carries the movie:

Time After Time (1979). Time Travel and H.G. Wells. Simply Irresistible (1999). The literal magic of food preparation. Dave (1993). The office of the President of the United States. Working Girl (1988). Rich executive and a prostitute. Bewitched (2005). A witch. Roman Holiday (1953). A princess. City of Angels (1998). A supernatural being. Mannequin (1987). Pretty self-explanatory. Groundhog Day (1993). Time repeating itself. Notting Hill (1999). Famous actress. Charade (1963). Mystery and murder. Sweet November (2001). About dying and love. Love Story (1970). About love and dying. West Side Story (1961). Gangs and Shakespearean ideal love and tragedy.

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, besides being shot in Salt Lake City where this commentary was born, avoids any and all pretense to being anything other than a story about real love that could involve anybody without any special circumstance or position in life. There isn't any fancy artistic or cinematic endeavor for special awards. There are no the gritty harsh dramatic and poignant in your face scenes. What the audience is presented with is a mass audience version of Lost in Translation (2003) of real romance without the photographic and authentic realism. Instead this movie presents itself as a movie that depicts simple acts of "lovingness" that most of us have forgotten in our run of the mill lives.

Perhaps the closest movie that captures a similar but more polished and mystical flavor to My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is Sliding Doors (1998) that captures two parallel love stories with the same female character. My Girlfriend's Boyfriend offers the audience a simple, well edited story about everyday love and with it a twist about what is real and what is fiction and is there really a difference? Like The Cooler (2003), this movie provides a look at love without all the frills and in doing so presents its story in a way that is authentic by its very nature of avoiding all the fantastic decorative and in the end superficial adornments.

Same old story, with a little twist

Author: catincentreville from United States
1 November 2010

First off, let me clarify that I LOVE Alyssa Milano and the genre of romantic comedies in general. I am a huge sap when it comes to these types of movies, even if they are all about the same thing. My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is no exception. It has the formulaic boy meets girl and they fall in love. However, this story has a few twists along the way.

As one user already pointed out, the advertising is a little false. It DOES accurately portray the movie in one sense (the first hour or so is the movie advertised), because in the end the truth is revealed. That bugged me a little and is probably the reason I gave it 9 out of 10 stars instead of the 10 I wanted to give it. But I am jumping ahead. On with the review! Plot: A down-on-his-luck writer, Ethan, meets the girl of his dreams, Jesse, in a café where she works. They hit it off. After he leaves, with her number, in walks the stereotypical perfect guy, Troy (a hotshot in the advertising business). Troy also walks out of the café with Jesse's number. Obviously, shenanigans ensue. Jesse is dating two men, at the same time, without the other one knowing. Of course at this point, the viewer assumes that eventually the two boyfriends will meet or some such thing. However, what really happens is strangely more interesting.

**Spoiler** While Jesse is dating both Ethan and Troy, the viewer gets a sense that the two relationships parallel each other. Maybe 30 or so minutes in, give or take, I got the sense that maybe, just maybe one of the boyfriends was like a fake...it was all made up...just like the scene at the beginning. Then I was like, "Nah, that can't be it. This is a story about a woman who dates to guys. One of them can't be fake." So I watched the movie with that mindset. Sure, some scenes did drag on a little too long. And, I for one, found the side-story with Jesse's brother a little irritating. Yes, it was funny...at first, but then it became a little overdone.

Anyway, at the end of the movie, Jesse is supposedly leaving with Troy, after dumping Ethan. Ethan then runs to go find Jesse at the airport, mirroring the first scene of the movie. THEN it is revealed that my original assumption was correct. However, it's not as neat as that. Jesse has been keeping a secret...

Overall, I thought it was an enjoyable movie, and I feel that my love for Alyssa doesn't even factor into that. It was a wonderful flick to just sit back and watch. It was cliché, but it was also witty. It was cute and funny. It was a happy story, and I loved watching it.

Well, that was a waste.

Author: foksiegrrl from London, England
1 November 2010

I was disappointed to say the least. This movie has me torn. While its execution was fairly precise, I felt cheated. The 'twist' at the end pretty much negates the entire movie, tag-line, poster and advertising and is basically telling you that the movie you came in expecting to see does not exist. In fact the actual story is a good deal shorter and simpler and really not much of a movie at all as it could be told in about twenty minutes.

This is what the films website says it's about:

'Jesse (Alyssa Milano,) is a sassy, intelligent woman who has yet to find "Mr. Right"—until she bumps into Ethan (Christopher Gorham), a writer pushed to the edge of despair after having another novel rejected by publishers. For Jesse, the encounter offers more than a chance to inspire the artist in Ethan again. It also opens a new, romantic chapter in her life... with one huge complication. Moments after meeting the perfect guy for her, Jesse meets Mr. Perfect— Troy (Michael Landes) a confident and successful advertising executive who makes almost every moment elegant and romantic. Soon Jesse is in over her head and grappling with the ultimate romantic paradox: what does a girl do when she meets "Mr. Right"… after already meeting the right guy?'

Except that its not.

From the get go the film gives you a GIANT clue as to what is going on, and if you get it, well then you spend pretty much the entire movie bored, as you know that half of what you're watching is not real and thus there is no conflict at all except the one the love interest Jesse (Alyssa Milano) creates for herself. Now let me explain why I called Jesse the love interest. The film is not about her, contrary to all the posters and the trailer and the tag-line the film is about a writer who keeps inserting himself into his stories, which makes them unappealing because no one wants to read about a normal guy struggling for his art. With no belief in himself he is on the cusp of giving up and selling out when he meets a girl who so wholeheartedly believes in him and his talent it makes him believe in himself. He is so inspired by her that he inserts her into his story instead, this proves more popular and lo and behold he garners success and belief in himself and his writing. He also has to rescue the girl from her own personal demons and show her that his love for her will overcome anything. That's the movie I saw. To be honest that movie is not bad. I don't understand why it had to be squashed by this silly made up 'Girl can't choose between two guys' nonsense which isn't the movie, the movie even tells you itself that it isn't the movie, it never really tries that hard to convince you that you're watching a girl torn between two guys. I mean if you're trying to convince me that this girl is dating two great guys then maybe make the other guy less of a cardboard cut-out. Maybe give their relationship some personality, maybe have him interact with at least one other person in Jesse's life. Now this is all excusable if you take it from the point of view that he isn't real. But if he isn't real then why bother? The misdirection feels pathetic , unconvincing and pointless. Hey Daryn Tufts, why are you trying to convince I'm watching a different movie than I am actually watching? It feels like a someone was trying (and failing) to trick me, that just makes the actual story, the one that was trying to be told, redundant, because now none of it means anything and I just wasted an hour and twenty minutes rolling my eyes.

I gave the film a four because despite the terrible script and story the performances weren't bad given what they had to work with. Christopher Gorham is charming as hell and Alyssa Milano brings a sweetness to Jesse, though I find her performance a little flat. Tom Lenk's little storyline is actually quite funny and he is amusing in it. Everybody else is kinda nondescript and their roles really could have been played by anybody, such is their lack of anything resembling character or personality. I feel the most sorry for Michael Landes but eh, never rated him much anyway.

Novel rom-com, we enjoyed in on Netflix streaming.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
20 February 2011

This is a strange title for a movie and I was curious to see where it would take us. Milano stars and is also the producer, so somewhat a vanity project but she is very good in it.

Alyssa Milano is Jesse Young, working as a waitress at a small café in Utah. She is bright and friendly, and enters into small-talk banter easily with the customers.

Christopher Gorham is Ethan Reed, "writer", but having trouble getting published. We see a meeting with his publisher and she tells him he needs to come up with better ideas.

When Ethan is in Jesse's café she notices him writing in a journal, they strike up a conversation, he goes away with her phone number and permission to call it.

But just after he leaves Michael Landes as Troy Parker comes into the café and also strikes up a conversation with Jesse, and also leaves with her number. Troy is more handsome, wealthier, and seemingly more attractive in all areas than is Ethan.

So much of the running time of the movie is witnessing Jesse dating and starting to fall in love with two men, Ethan and Troy, and she seems to like them equally. Quite a quandary which is worked out very well in the final scenes. My wife and I enjoyed this movie, a bit better than its IMDb rating would suggest.

MAJOR SPOILERS: In fact Troy did not exist at all. Ethan was the only one dating Jesse. After Ethan's meeting with his publisher (Carol Kane) he decided to use his own experiences but write in a more interesting character, and he came up with Troy. So as Ethan and Jesse go about, doing things, and deepening their relationship, we see that played out as Troy and Jesse, the story of his new book which, when he is finished, becomes his first published work. Jesse however was reluctant to commit to Ethan, a great guy, because she knew he wanted a family but she cannot have children, a fact that broke up her first marriage. But Ethan assures her adopting children will be fine, he is committed to her. They end up happily ever after.