IMDb > "Modern Family" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Modern Family"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Modern Family" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 16: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Absolutely Delightful. Will put a smile on your face!

Author: Teriz Jatik
30 April 2012

Not since FRIENDS, have I seen a show which involves the viewers so much in the magic on screen. The vibe which friends had is a very rare product, and Modern Family has that! Recent Sitcoms have lacked that but Modern Family certainly doesn't. The closeness of the characters puts a smile on my face.

Although this is a happy ending sitcom, it must have a brilliant team of writers (along with the actors) because this show has some great story lines. A special feature is that the show has a documentary style format (loosely speaking), and the characters actually sit down and talk directly to the camera which adds a very smart dimension to the stories. They can make the stories more complex with thoughts/psyche of the characters and make the jokes funnier with the misunderstandings and anecdotes.

I haven't touched the most important part yet, the humor. The show is absolutely hilarious! There are many LOL moments along with the subtle humor and funny story lines.

Ty Burrel (dorky sweet father) and Nolan Gould (dim son) are brilliant. Rico And Sofia are great too.

We have a typical family with 3 kids, a gay couple, and a couple with an age (and cultural) difference. The kids are pleasant to watch (unlike in some shows where they sort of become annoying). I like how no one is broke, even though that rules out a particular parameter of humor (jokes about being broke and cheap) it's a nice change of pace and actually an opportunity for the stories to explore even more territories.

Frankly, i can't think of a reason to cut one star from the rating, but I guess i would like it better if they didn't need the dim kid character, especially since Luke actually oscillates between dim and witty. Another complain I have with this show is that all the episodes don't add up to anything. There isn't a common storyline for the whole series. The episodes aren't really interconnected.

This is not just one of the best shows on TV right now, I would count it in one of the best shows ever aired!

Overrated

Author: glen hanley from Clare, Ireland
30 June 2011

I just didn't think it was that funny. i mean i also didn't like arrested development(that's a piece of sh*t) and i don't want they're to be any more sitcoms like this or arrested development(by the way arrested development is rebooting in the UK on fx and it's even worse.)modern family just doesn't give you the feel that you're watching something very funny like with only fools and horses or friends.i also enjoy watching how i met your mother because it's very funny and part of the reason that it's very funny is that they're are more frequent jokes and they have a laugh track. a lot of people think that's cheesy but i think it helps you feel like you're watching something funny otherwise you're just laughing on your own. i do like 30 rock which just doesn't suit a laugh track but is still very funny.all in all i think modern family is an overrated piece of sh*t that has a joke every like 10 minutes

Gag

Author: PartialMovieViewer from United States
21 November 2013

I do not like too many of the newer 'comedies' (Well "Big Bang" is a fantastic show). This show just seems like everything is contrived and forced. I did try to watch 'Family' but kept vomiting - you all know how that is. With that in mind, questions do pop in my mind, like: Why all the awards? Good question. And Why all the hype? Another good question. People do like the show - that is obvious, so maybe I am just missing something. Wait while I ponder in deep ponderance mode. Hmmmmm, what would I do to this show to make me a fan? Let me see - a-HA! Maybe if the cast boarded a charter boat, and went on a short trip and ended up on an uncharted island. That is brilliant. Would I watch it then? Would I? Ah - nope. It is not what I am looking for and I just do not find it entertaining. Show stinks

The best sitcom ever !:)

Author: Aman Syed
4 October 2015

I love Modern Family. At first, I was a bit reluctant to watch it. But I saw the entire season 1. And mind you, I LOVED IT ! Slowly by Slowly , I started watching Season 2,3,4,5,6 . And it's still amazing ! The character development is great. Actors are just too good. Characters like Phil ( portrayed by Ty Burrel ) , Gloria ( portrayed by Sofia Vergera ) ,etc. will make you laugh till you die. xD Morever, this show is appropriate for all age groups. And now Season 7 has premiered. And mind you, I love it. So I recommend you to watch this sitcom. You will not regret watching it. Watch it with your friends, family, colleagues, etc. :) :)

Good humor, too many stereotypes

Author: beppo_leitl from Austria
31 May 2012

I have to admit that this show has grown on me, I watch it regularly and the humor seems to have improved later on. I also watch it out of nostalgic Bundy sentiments... However, I still don't see why it is supposed to be the best show in the comedy lineup. And here are the reasons why:

- They just went berserk with stereotypes. I mean come on, here are the "gays", there the "dorks", there the high school sweetheart. This is overused to the extreme! Is it so difficult to produce an American series without clichés?

- Name just one character that has not gone on your nerves at some point! I can't. They are not unlovable, but why do they always have to behave in the same, shrill way?

- The main issue bothering me: It is not believable for any of the pairs that at one point they have met and liked each other for long enough to still be together. I just can't see this realistically - or even unrealistically in a sitcom world. Also, how come at least half of the characters are not dead yet? Judging by the idiocy going on every week, which is funny in the situation - but all in all, who could always dodge bullets for a longer period?

On one hand this is cartoon slapstick humor, on the other hand the show has set itself the semi-realistic challenge to portrait a modern family suited to current society. Somehow it does neither to a full extent.

Flawless show

Author: josephshamiltons from Baton Rouge, LA
1 October 2013

There is nothing wrong with this show ever always.

It is perfection incarnate.

My toes literally curl when I watch this show. I've been known to shout instead of laughing because laughing isn't forceful enough.

Also, anyone that doesn't like this show has an empty brain.

The first time I watched it my laugh muscles were sore for a week, but I didn't stop. I eventually pull a smile muscle and had to go to the chiropractor. Then my stomach muscles contracted so hard from laughing that I had a hernia. Then, I did a cartwheel and transitioned into a bowl of popcorn. That sprained my ankle which I repaired with some of the humor from Modern Family.

LOVE MODERN FAMILY!!

The best show currently on television...

Author: Clayton Davis (Claytondavis@awardscircuit.com) from New Jersey
10 July 2012

In the vapid, nearly transparent mess that television sitcoms have become, one show that has stood above the rest as the freshest and most endearing comedy in quite some time is ABC's "Modern Family." In the 30-minute uproar of laughs sitcom, we follow three non-traditional families through their everyday antics and how they deal with them by just being…themselves. The series stars a wonderful ensemble of authentic, genuine characters: "Married with Children" star Ed O'Neill is Jay Pritchett, the patriarch of the family who is married to Gloria, (played beautifully by the even more beautiful Sofia Vergara) who is very much younger than Jay and just as high-tempered. Gloria has a son, 11-year old Manny (Rico Rodriguez), from a previous marriage. But don't let the number 11 fool you, Manny is wise beyond his years and effectively just as funny as the next adult. Jay has two children from his ex-wife (played occasionally by the delightful Shelly Long), Claire and Mitchell. Claire (Julie Bowen) is married to Phil (Ty Burrell), a zany real estate agent who sees himself as a "cool dad." More than not, the "cool dad" persona gives not only Phil some issues but drives Claire up a wall. They have three children; Haley (Sarah Hyland), a 16 year old stereotypical teenager who dates her on-again-off-again boyfriend Dylan, who's pretty looks don't often match her brains. Alex (Ariel Winter), a 14 year old wise cracking over achiever who loves tormenting her siblings in between her cello and lacrosse practices. And the youngest is the adorable Luke (Nolan Gould), the often times simple minded 11 year old who highly admires his dad and seems to be more distracted then he's aware. Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) has been involved with his partner of five years Cameron (Eric Stonestreet), a more than over the top personality that acts as the matriarch to their2 year old adopted daughter from Vietnam Lily. Mitchell is an attorney that usually makes him super organized and very paranoid to Cameron's antics whether it's his moonlighting as the clown "Fizbo" or wanting to dance at Lily's parent's day at school. What has made "Modern Family" so successful, especially in the past second season is the incredible scripting. The writing staff knows these characters inside and out, knows what they're capable of, and never takes themselves too seriously. They utilize all their talents in building some hilarious and nearly tear jerking moments all throughout the series. The series, which has gone on to earn a groundbreaking seventeen Emmy nominations including Best Comedy along with acting nominations for every adult major character in the show is staggering. In this past season we saw the family do a lot of maturing both on the adult and child side. Jay has become more sensitive to his family and seems to be growing a very tender love and admiration for his stepson Manny. Gloria has finally settled into the family and even though she still gets picked on for her mispronunciation of the English language or dressing far sexier for inappropriate events, she's officially a part of their family. Claire and Phil, as dysfunctional or annoyed as they may seem, it's evident to the viewer they have love at the center of their marriage. They continuously keep finding ways to spice up their love life which often brings them into a mess of trouble (See Episode: "Bixby's Back" when they bring back 'Clive' and 'Julianna'). Haley and Alex, whom in the first season seem to have been always been at each other's throats have seem to have taken a strong liking to each other and at Alex's graduation you see the true test of their sister relationship blossom as Haley reveals her insecurities about being less intelligent and compliments Alex on her addictive and wonderful personality. Luke…well, Luke is kind of the same but just getting older and even funnier. In the season finale, we see Cameron's genuine yearn to help all the kids and takes a great presence for Manny in his girl problems. Mitchell seems to share the same feelings without ever revealing it to Cameron. In the final moments of the show, Mitchell reveals to Cameron that he wants another baby and Cameron agrees but wants a boy. The performances of each of players are one of a kind, authentic and I dare you to find better on any comedy show on television today. The standouts always seem to be Eric Stonestreet, who won the Emmy for the first season, and Ty Burrell. Though hardly ever interacting with each other on screen, they seem to steal every scene they're in. Jesse Tyler Ferguson is endearing throughout the season. Sofia Vergara is electrifying, sexy, and uproariously funny. Ed O'Neill recaptures his magic we loved about him back in the 90's. Julie Bowen is magnificent and elevates the typical mother role into an accessible and triumphant comedic turn. The entire ensemble breathes new life into my television and shows the elevation of our comedy sitcom. It can still reign supreme.

Not a sitcom but a thousand times more hilarious!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
11 July 2012

Modern Family is a mockumentary about a big joint family further consisting of three families. Recently divorced Jay Pritchett(Ed O'Neill), his second wife Gloria Delgado-Pritchett(Sofia Vergara) & her son Manny Delgado(Rico Rodriguez) is the first family. Jay's daughter Claire Dunphy(Julie Bowen), her husband Phil Dunphy(Ty Burrell) & their kids Haley(Sarah Hyland), Alex(Ariel Winter) & Luke Dunphy(Nolan Gould) is the second family. Jay's son Mitchell Pritchett(Jesse Tyler Ferguson), his partner Cameron Tucker(Eric Stonestreet) & their adopted daughter Lily Tucker-Pritchett(1st & 2nd season twins Ella & Jaden Hiller, 3rd season Audrey Anderson-Emmons) is the third family.

This is the most unique comedy I've watched in recent times. It's not a traditional sitcom with a laugh reel. However, it's freaking hilarious! All the members of this quirky family are funny in their own way. Each character cracks you up at some point of time or the other. This show wouldn't be the same even if one character didn't exist. All the characters share great chemistry with each other. In fact, you don't even realize that's it's just a TV show. You really believe that they are a real family. I love all the characters. However, if I had to pick just two, then, Phil & Gloria are my most favorite characters on the show. Ed O'Neill has done a brilliant job as the patriarch, Jay. Sofia Vergara has done a mind blowing job as the nagging Colombian wife, Gloria. Julie Bowen has done an awesome job as the strict wife & mom, Claire. Ty Burrell has done a bang up job as the loving but clumsy husband & dad, Phil. Jesse Tyler Ferguson is impressive as Mitchell. Eric Stonestreet has done an outstanding job as Cameron. The kids, Sarah Hyland, Ariel Winter, Nolan Gould & Rico Rodriguez are spectacular as Haley, Alex, Luke & Manny respectively. The supporting characters like Dylan(Reid Ewing) are superb as well. All in all, Modern Family is a must watch. So, sit with your family, switch on the TV & watch a show that the young, middle aged & old can relate to.

I would never miss even one episode!

Author: matrioshka (matrioshka@aol.com) from Toronto
28 January 2011

Modern Family is simply addictive it's so good. The writers have explored a multitude of topics related to the titular "modern family" with amazing success. Gay couple, foreign born wife, three completely different kids. Every episode manages to touch our lives through their lives and make us laugh, cry, and tune in again and again. There are fights, misunderstandings, love, devotion, mishaps, and triumphs. Sometimes (rarely) it is not as "comedic" as one would expect, but it is never boring. The entire cast has amazing skills and I can't single any one in particular that is better than the other. Each character is played superbly and works in tandem with others. This show receives many praises and deservedly so. Keep it up!

Felony Five

Author: jacob-mccandless from USA
20 July 2015

Albeit most TV families have no relation in real life but this show grotesquely flaunts interracial "adoption" which actually tend to be illegal kidnappings.

The thought of a TV series with a title "Modern Family" (which is a cool idea) promoting illegal adoption and such -- you have no idea what you are doing, put it that way. Keep it a clean family and I can go for it. Trust me, it's not funny.

I do support the gay couple having a family. There are options today that you should defend -- idiots like to steal babies, your babies. Because you are gay or something. You should make them your babies. Our society doesn't actually let people walk around with someone else's kids and you should be so lucky.