IMDb > "Modern Family" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Modern Family"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Modern Family" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Entertaining and Funny, But Seriously Flawed, Satire

Author: D.L. Polonsky from United States
5 May 2012

Scripted shows that employ a documentary format often use the P.O.V. talking-head shot as a gimmick to put more visual variety into the show, and to create a style of story-telling that they hope will keep your attention without having to improve the plot or characterizations. You can tell because they often go back to the interview at the most weakly-written moments. This is one problem, but not the major one, with Modern Family. The aspects that disturb me the most are these: they're supposed to be modern families and there are no working mothers (do the writers misunderstand the term "post-feminist era"?) except for a few temporary jobs in single eps. Also there are no poor or even lower-middle-class characters. Actually, I do remember one character who was poor, but of course he was a one-time character on a Christmas episode. I'm sick of the characters whining about first-world problems like not being able to buy the "perfect gift" for their spouse on their birthday. What's so tragic about buying the iPad the day before or after their birthday? I realize this is a satire, but the writers don't seem to have that much contempt for the people they're satirizing. They don't seem to be TRYING to show how spoiled and self-centered many upper-middle-class are (it just comes out that way). That's not part of the satire, except maybe with the character of Haley (Sarah Hyland). Another thing that bothers me is that Claire (Julie Bowen) comes off as a lot crazier than the writers seem to intend. She's ALWAYS breathlessly freaking out, and it's more irritating than funny. In real life she's be at least an OUTpatient in some psychiatric facility. The gay couple (Eric Stonestreet and Jesse Tyler Ferguson) are gay stereotypes, especially Cameron, but since I hate political correctness and they're actually funny it doesn't bother me much. It would be nice, however, if the show did what it could to improve America's perception of gay people. Since Camoron is a prissy, whining, crying drama queen, the other character, Mitchell, could be the antithesis of a gay stereotype. The comedy could come from people thinking the character is straight. Manny's (Rico Rodriguez's) character doesn't resemble any human being on the planet. He's too cartoonish (sitcoms have always had kids who act like adults and adults who act like kids) and neither funny nor well-acted. On the positive side, Ed O'Neill is amazing as Jay Pritchett. As he was in "Married, With Children", he's like a comedy machine, delivering every line perfectly. To sum up, Modern Family is funny and entertaining but not particularly witty and intelligent, and uses a kind of soft-edged, sentimental satire that flatters, but doesn't challenge, the audience's ability to laugh at itself.

This show sucks.

Author: mfsucks
9 September 2010

I really don't know how people say this show is good. Believe me, it's not. I wanted to see this show because of the positive reviews it has received, so I watched the pilot first. It was boring, clichéd, and annoying. Even Ed O'Neill is bland and boring, that made me sad. The normal family (Phil Dunphy) is dumb and uninspired. The gay couple is stupid and annoying. I don't have anything against gay people, but the fat one is nothing less than annoying and disgusting. The other gay is OK, but he doesn't make me laugh at all. Sofia Vergara looks too much excited, like she's hyperventilating....it's really creepy. The kids are bland or clichéd at best. After the pilot, i though "Well, it's the pilot...maybe the second one is better...." Well, that's not true. Everything is bland and boring at best, or annoying and unbearable at worst. The characters, the story, the comic parts. Believe me, I tried to laugh with this...I couldn't. Now for the big picture.....there is no music whatsoever. It makes you feel like you're watching a home video, maybe that's why the series is boring. And finally the worst part.....the camera....it goes up, down, left, down, up, right.....so, who gave the camera to a 15 year old drunken kid? It makes me dizzy to watch this show, and with the story and characters, it makes me sick. I can't stand watching more than 5 minutes of this "thing" now. So, to summarize, DO NOT watch this series, there are better things out there...in fact, almost everything could be better than THIS!

Really Bad Writing... intended for weak minded sycophants

Author: canadaiscold from Nuvinland, Canada
26 April 2011

This show is the worst. The writing is, as if someone took cliché and patronizing story lines and ideas, pasted them to a dartboard, lobotomized a chimp and let her go nuts with fecal matter. The best part is the flung excrement, has more substance than the show itself. Did no one notice the desperation of of the casting, and ensemble of washed up untalented, familiar faces to play into the insecurities and dullness of the American viewer. This work of unintelligible garbage should to laid to rest, to make room for anything else. P.S. Anyone who compares this piece of self-indulgent, dimwitted, cliché, exploited deleted, sycophantic waste of space to "Arrested Development" should seek a psychological exam, because you are probably entitled to Mental Disability benefits. This show should be cancelled immediately before American Families become any stupider.

Hardly any laughs

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 February 2012

Not funny at all! I gave this a chance and tried a few episodes but gave up. It's the opposite of laugh out loud funny! Why do so many people like this and why does it win so many awards? The situations are so contrived and exaggerated. People just stand around looking daft and some supposed joke takes place. Hate the camera work too.

Sofia Vergara is quite a natural comic but the rest just look ill at ease and unpleasant.

This is the most overrated comedy in years. How can this compare with Big Bang Theory?

I can't be the only one who doesn't think this is funny.

Really good!

Author: farismahmood-16130
21 May 2017

Like Friends, this show is another favourite of mine. It is well- written, there are different situations the families face. The show overcomes themes such as family bonding, love, gender, etc. It shows a lot of realistic situations and that is nice to see. It is well-acted, all the actors have done an amazing job especially Sofia Vergara as Gloria. All characters are interconnected with each other, no character is just left out. Manny was a very cute, chirpy and happy child but now they have just ruined his character, he is too stubborn, dull and not interesting, this is why I gave the show 9/10.

Surprisingly original

Author: Masa Knezevic from Serbia
12 May 2017

For a long time before I decided to start watching 'Modern Family' I've been having doubts about quality and originality of the show. Now I'm in season 7 and I can not get enough of it. The story is easy to follow so you can just sit back and enjoy. When I'm having a break doing work I just put on an episode and it takes my mind off.

The thing I was most surprised about after seeing it was the variety of characters. There's a conventional family with three kids. The wife Claire Dunphy is a control and organization freak but she has hers funny outbursts. Husband Phil comes off a bit childlike, always trying to be 'the cool dad', but he also brings the family together and shares valuable life lessons. The oldest daughter Haley is a popular, party girl and her younger sister Alex is very competitive, nerdy girl. Their youngest child Luke is a lot like his dad and they always do funny, odd stuff together.

Claire's father Jay Pritchett makes another family in the show. He remarried a Colombian wife Gloria and took her and her son Manny in. She is very beautiful and also younger than his daughter so people always assume she married him out of interest, but we are soon proved wrong.

Jay's second child, Claire's brother Mitchell, is gay and in a long relationship with his partner Cameron with whom he adopted a Vietnamese baby girl Lily.

When the whole family gets together, there's no way escaping drama and that's the case in almost every episode. It's a great comedy source but it can get a little too familiar from time to time, so that's why I rated it 8 out of 10.

With everything in count, it's still one of the best shows in its genre and I would definitely recommend it.

Great show but some characters need tweaking

Author: Annette Padussis (amp416@mac.com) from san diego
14 June 2016

I love this show but if they don't tone down Clairs character I will have to stop watching. She is ALWAYS so over the top neurotic now I cant stand her character anymore. Just take it back a few notches!!!!! I get nervous just watching her. Her actions are illogical . The other characters are true to the original characters, they have developed normally over the years and are still believable. Lilly is a great character and her lines always make me laugh, I love her attitude and Joe is a cute little boy. Manny and Luke aren't as entertaining now that they are older, Luke doesn't seem to really know how to actually act, they are going to have to address this. Mannys eccentricities were cute in a little boy but as a teenager they are annoying. If they could rework him a little it would be more believable and likable. If they could address these issues it would be the "10" show it used to be

Doesn't live up to the Hype

Author: franko_grzic123 from Bosnia and Herzegovina
26 October 2014

This isn't a bad show by no means, but its not great either. Its more of a time killer than anything else. I can't really explain what's wrong with it, maybe its the whole principle. Yes its modern family so everything has to be modern but i for one don't like that. Everything is modern just like in any other home and all of the kids are "modern" as well, just like in any other home. To me its more of a really show than a sitcom. Most of the stuff they do i do too, and the stuff that's supposed to be funny isn't, for me. There is something missing and i just don't know what that is but the atmosphere of the whole show just don't feel right, it doesn't feel like a loving family that cares about each other they all seem fake. Just like in real life. So basically i find this more of a meta show than a sitcom, making fun of the entire world basically. But this is my opinion and opinions are subjective

Thrird season so so

Author: ron-fernandez-pittsburgh from United States
12 October 2012

While I enjoyed the first two seasons of MODERN FAMILY, the third is a bit tired. Very few funny lines and situations. They should have stopped while ahead. Two season would have been great. The acting is over board, even for a sit-com. The two gay characters are horrible...both the writing and the acting. Can't gay characters act like 'normal' human beigns???? They always bicker and how they've stayed together this long is beyond belief. And these guys were actually nominated for an Emmy. Who do they sleep with? Also annoying is Ty Burrel. Lousy actor in an inane role. He too was nominated?? Give me a break. Even for a sit-com, the situations for the most part are unreal. The camera work is also horrible. Trying to be like an art movie with all that hand held camera movement and zooming. Besides re-casting, they should stop with the 'fancy' camera work. After all I've said, I do enjoy the little girl who plays Lily. She's be best thing on it. Ed O'Neil also deserves some credit as he's the only one who acts with authority and humane qualities. As for Sophia, well, she's still great to look at and at times she comes through well, but stop with the screaming. As far as the kids are concerned...again, RE-CAST.

Forgettable & Soon Forgotten

Author: amexspam from United States
15 May 2013

Imitator Family steals everything bad from the last 60 years of television. From "The Office" it steals hurky-jerky rapid camera shifts to try to show it is "new"; from "I Love Lucy: it steals contrived plots that are completely unrealistic. From "Steinfeld" it tries to pretend it is a "real-life" show and thus about nothing, even though most sit-coms are about "nothing" and their attempt to turn them into something. And by taking plot devices from everything from "Father Knows Best" to "Roseanne" it tries to create laughs where there are none. While Ty Burrell and Eric Stonestreet play horrible stereotypes poorly, Ed O'Neill is good and Sofia Vergara is very good. However, in 10 years this series won't even be seen at 2 AM in syndication.