IMDb > "Mercy" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mercy"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mercy" More at IMDbPro »

Right Actors

Author: killer1h from United States
8 October 2009

This is one of the few shows where the cast of people who aren't quite as well known as the mega-stars in all the other shows still work fantastic. Here's the breakdown, this cast has feel, dynamic, and most of all they play off one another perfectly, between spunk and genuine feel the rhythm of this show is authentic.

Now as for the actual plot, its more of less the same as every other medical drama, yada yada yada people in medical crisis, yada yada, people needing a doctor, yada yada relationships, not really far from the norm. At least the interactions between all of the cast is worth watching. I give it a solid 8/10.

New year...new review

Author: Ruth Dossett from United States
3 January 2010

A few weeks ago, under my former name of Ruth Ann Renaud, I wrote a review stating that Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan wouldn't have taken five minutes of any of this. Now that I've gotten to see some more episodes and I've gotten more adjusted to the characters, it's good to see that everybody SEEMS to be getting along. The plot line about the father having Alzheimer's disease/senile dementia hits home-my mom and at least two uncles died from it. James LeGros' doctor (who I called "oily") deserves some sympathy having lost a wife. At least he's on a first name basis with the nurses. The young nurse (Michelle Trachtenberg's character) seems to be developing some armor-the way she stood down the wife of her boyfriend was good to watch. Veronica also was good as a surrogate older sister playing "crazy war veteran" with the wife. The usual subplots that are in other medical dramas are here, but putting the emphasis on the nurses gives the show a new perspective. It just gets better every week!

the ending of a show

Author: angym
3 January 2011

I loved the show and want it back. The network cant leave a cliffhanger like that then choose to end the show. We should have a petition. I never heard of this show till I was on netflix not too many watch TV now a days and when you find a good show and watch the whole thing and at the end your looking for the second season and it says there isn't one. Thats heart breaking. They said they canceled the show because on average only 3.6 million people watched it, then they just disappointed 3.6 million people. Thats a lot of people to me. I think if a show is going to end then they should at least take the time for a last show to give us closure. I cant stop thinking about the last episode.

a good show that died before its time

Author: mckenzie2467-908-385498 from United States
27 January 2012

Mercy was a very good show that for some reason was canceled at the end of season one. Granted, it had some parts that stretched the reality level a bit, but isn't that what TV is for? The nurses appear to have more knowledge and abilities than even the doctors around them at times, but their own stories are so captivating that it doesn't really matter. Usually there is more than one writer on a show, and from the way the characters talk (they all sound the same), it seems like there was only one here, but that was OK. The interaction with patients is a bit more relaxed than you find in real life, but honestly, wouldn't you rather go to that hospital than any other one anywhere? DEFINITELY YES! I watched it for Michelle because I have adored her ever since I saw her on Buffy. Jaime Lee was awesome too, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Miss G-I Jane was good too, staggering from one disaster to another. Although Veronica seemed to be the lead focus of the show, I put her in third place and followed the other girls. It started out good, but then somehow began to get seriously better and better in every episode. They thought they were writing a season cliff hanger, but as it turns out, it became a series finale that would leave you screaming for more.

There are a lot of idiot shows out there that should be canceled but they persist. This was a very nice show that should have lived a bit longer. I thought it was great.

refreshing and touching

Author: renlovesjesus from United States
22 March 2010

Okay, so there have been other hospital shows before. Given that many of those (E.R. for instance) were on such a long time that followers considered the cast like family;to compare them to this new show is unfair.

This show is funny, insightful, and at times moving. At my house, we jokingly call it "one of 'those' shows because we often need a tissue sometime during each episode. While we tend to enjoy shows for entertainment and to elicit topics of conversations with our teenager, and not for cinematic artistry, I still feel this is a worthy show. There is the stubbornly cranky doctor with the soft spot created by his previously unknown marriage with a tragic story. The timid newbie nurse who has a wild tiger hidden inside her. The conflict felt by the Iraqi veterans dealing with the post-traumatic symptoms and life on the outside. There are many other story lines that serve to enrich our viewing pleasure. Give it a chance. I think you'll enjoy it--bring tissues, just in case. :0)

I like Mercy

Author: tekteam26 from United States
10 December 2009

I happen to like watching Mercy. I am an Iraq war vet myself so it is interesting to see how the producers might portray them. Certainly enough married soldiers had affairs while out in the desert then had to deal with the consequences after their return to the states. I also find it interesting to see Kate Milgrew as Veronica's chain-smoking, alcoholic mom. Although he is not in the credits yet, Jason Ritter (Joan of Arcadia) played the musician with CF. I don't know if this would be considered as a spoiler since the episode has already been broadcast though. I look forward to seeing a lot more of Mercy. Fortunately, it is not running across any of the other shows that I like to watch.

Give Me Mercy

Author: itgirlx from United States
23 August 2012

Compelling, well-developed characters, great writing, interesting premise, great dialogue, good production values--why was this show canceled? I honestly don't understand NBC's claim of "under-performance." According to the American viewing public and its 3.6 million viewers, this show was worth renewing but NBC found this project apparently not worth the effort.

Returning GWOT veterans, especially those in the medical field, do a great service that few realize can and does lead to PTSD. The themes brought to the fore in this drama are done in such a palatable way, it makes the topics easier to swallow for the non-military public.

Taylor Schilling is radiant as Veronica and I hope to see her in many other projects.

This show is great!

Author: marihkarla from United States
14 May 2010

Now I have never seen any other nurse shows so I can't really compare but all I can say this show is so beautifully made. Although I don't watch it when it first premieres instead I opt for on demand I find this show to be really great and refreshing. I love the three main nurses, they are very likable and each of them has their own unique story. There is a lot of dramatization but I guess everyday is a new thing in the ER. Nonetheless , this show should not be missed, as I said before I can't compare it to any other since I haven't seen any of them but this show tops. I am really hoping and crossing my fingers that there will be a second season, although it seems unlikely, because that season finale was just too much to not want to continue watching this!

Margo Martindale is truly under-rated and under-used!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
25 February 2010

The show, Mercy, is not brilliant nor awful. It's somewhat mediocre. Except for Margo Martindale and Michelle Trachtenberg, I never saw any of these actors or actresses before. It's nice to have a show that is set in New Jersey which is also actually filmed here that isn't the Sopranos well except for Teresa Giudice's appearance in one episode. She was the NJ housewife who flipped the table at her dinner party and claimed to be classy. Anyway, Mercy is about an Iraqi veteran nurse who returns home to face her relationships and her life after war. I never heard of the actress but she's okay in the role as Veronica. To me, Margo Martindale is a scene stealer and a veteran character actress who should be in every episode. She's wonderful and deserves to have her name in the first credits like everybody else. She has had a respectable career and given good scripts that she could possibly be Emmy worthy. Well, maybe the writers and producers are reading this. I sure hope so.

Wow, those nurses sure have a lot of power. Get me outta here!

Author: tct25
29 March 2010

Look, the other reviewers have covered a lot of points -- acting is pretty good, story lines are engaging. My beef is with how the writers play up the nursing and downplay the "doctoring". Since when is a newbie nurse going to go from general admissions to the ER to a surgical suite, all in the span of a few episodes?

The nurses also tend to diagnose at the patient's bedside, where in reality they have zero training or right to do so. I'm not looking for 100% realism (remember ER?) but it's laughable how much leeway the writers give nursing in this show, distracting from what little suspension of disbelief viewers may have.