IMDb > "Life Unexpected" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Life Unexpected"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Life Unexpected" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Life UneXpected is unexpectedly good and heart warming

Author: brusimm from United States
13 December 2009

Life UneXpected from The CW is about a 15-year-old girl trying to get herself emancipated to get away from the foster care system.

Lux, played by Brittany Robertson (Swingtown) has been put through the ringer with with the foster care system and needs to get away. She needs to become emancipated.

Her biological dad, Nate "Baze" Bazile is played by Kristoffer Polaha (ad Men, Valentine, North Shore) and her mom, Cate Cassidy is played by Shiri Appleby (ER, Six Degrees, Roswell).

Through one turn or another Lux is put in the temporary custody of her biological parents (Don't worry, you'll see why).

~ Life UneXpected is written by Liz Tigelaar (Brothers & Sisters, What About Brian) and directed by Gary Fleder (Life on Mars, October Road).

These two have teamed up to bring quite the heart warming tale of a wayward like teen who rediscovers her biological parents. Neither live with each other and this tale of two different people, three counting Lux, hits nerves in a good way with this journey they are embarking on.

The plot pulls you in from the start and keeps you hooked. It has great interaction between characters. Nothing feels forced, everything flows.

The caveat: You need to like shows like this to appreciate it. That being said, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Emotional and Fulfilling

Author: gazzalere from United Kingdom
19 January 2010

Life Unexpected from CBS & Warner Bros channel The CW is about a 15-year-old girl trying to get herself emancipated to get away from the foster care system. Before I heard about this show I was hooked on another CW show One Tree Hill but then "Life Unexpected" popped up and I just thought "I have to watch this" because not only does it look different but from previews it looks exciting.

From the opening of the first scene right up to that finale of the first episode you can really feel the emotion that our main character Lux, played by Brittany Robertson is putting out to the audience followed closely behind her co-characters Cate Cassidy, played by Shiri Appleby and Nate, played by Kristoffer Polaha. By the way let's not forget the amazing Karr Smith who plays a love interest Ryan Thomas who ultimately gets caught up in the deep history as it unfolds.

At the end of the day without saying to much on the story of a young girl whose been thrown around the foster system for way too long before wanting to become emancipated I'm just going to leave you with one final thing… Whenever possible try and catch the first episode of this truly emotional and fulfilling new show, then you'll just want more and more episodes as the story unfolds, I honestly think there's a bright future for "Life Unexpected" catch it Monday's 9/8c on The CW.

A lot of heart with some sweet humor

Author: onetallfoo from United States
2 February 2010

This show may not be completely realistic, but it isn't real to begin with, so that's not a problem. You have to go into this as you would any other TV show or movie, with a willing suspension of disbelief, meaning you buy into the story and characters. If you're willing to believe, you are in for a treat. The show is light hearted, even though it deals with some dramatic issues. It sprinkles humor in with serious plots, making for a charming mix.

I really like the characters, and feel they have a great connection with each other. Lux is a streetwise kid who can handle herself, but is totally sweet. Baze is far from an ideal father, but he's completely hilarious and tries hard. Cate wouldn't seem it, but has a very maternal side, and is getting the hang of parenthood and she goes.

The show is all about learning who you really are, and who you need to become. In a small way, it actual has me looking at myself, which I think is amazing from such a young show. It's still getting its legs, but with a bit more time, this show could be something great. I think it's a nice change from other shows on CW, because it deals with an older age group, and feels less like high school.

Watch the Life Unexpected for yourself, and don't compare it to other shows, just judge it as its own show. Remember to go in willing to belief, and you might just get sucked in by its charm.

Brilliant!

Author: indiacarless
22 March 2010

Love this show!

Watched Shiri in 'Roswell', Kerr in 'Dawson's Creek' and wondered if they could pull it off as a couple. They do.

Shiri's character Kate is forced to face the child she gave up almost 16 years ago. Lux (Brittany) has spent those years bouncing through the foster home system and she's excellent as a young woman who struggles to fit into this new family.

Rafi is perfect as Bug, Lux's boyfriend who struggles with many issues himself.

I've not seen Kristoffer's previous work but he's great as Lux's father who's struggling to be a father as he grows up himself.

Each week's episode brings me to tears, sometimes of joy and sometimes of sadness - then I have to wait another week for the next episode!

I will be buying this on DVD - love this show!

Fun and heartwarming

Author: Anjali Dhir from United Kingdom
5 February 2010

Love the show. At the moment, there aren't many other shows like this on TV. Mainly crime, or shows like gossip girl, and although they are good in their own right, this adds something different to the mix. It is comparable to Gilmore girls, in my opinion. The acting is good and the script is fantastic. It is a family friendly show, early teens and adults alike can enjoy it.There have only been a few episodes of the show released, but I look forward to the next one each week. It's rare for me to anticipate the next episode for shows, as many of the better ones get cancelled so here's to hoping there are many more seasons to come.

Worth your time

Author: superaudreysaves from United States
24 February 2010

When I first heard this show being compared to Juno and Gilmore Girls, I had to give it a chance. I was kind of expecting it to be a show TRYING to be like Juno and Gilmore Girls, and that was going to be obvious in the worst possible way, but I couldn't resist watching it.

And now I'm hooked. In the best possible way. Life Unexpected has succeeded in being it's own show, although I do think the comparisons are appropriate. Despite the plot being the main selling point in the commercials, it is a very character-driven show (which is good, because how slowly can you burn out the "just met my daughter" thing? Not very slowly...) One complaint I did have, though, is that it cheeses out at the end of almost every episode. This can be looked at two ways. One being that it's cheesy, and the other being that each episode is like it's own little movie, and while connected to the whole series, independent. I love movies. So I chose the second way and now I love that, too.

All in all, Life Unexpected is a really good show. It's been a while since I've seen one of those and I'm so excited to get a new hour of it every week.

Charming and sweet TV show

Author: Ana Moreira from Portugal
10 May 2010

I started watching this TV show and I just couldn't stop till episode 12. It's the most promising show I've seen since "Gilmore girls". The plot is about a girl, Lux, who at 15 years old found her biological parents (who conceived her at the age of 16 and gave her for adoption) and starts a relationship with them. The actors are wonderful and the characters are great. I can't say who is the more interesting one. They are sweet, funny and it's amazing to watch the development of the connection between the three of them. I just hope that this show continues for many seasons. It's a mixing of drama and comedy in its best shape and it's rare to watch such a moving story on TV.

Best TV show ever.

Author: carnes87 from Norway
14 May 2010

i think this is the best TV show i have ever seen. And i look at many. Love the story, it feels real. They have problems, many people have, and the show takes up an impotent problem. And i think theirs a good way to show people that there is kids out there ho need a home and a family. Im hope that this shoe will start up at season 2. I have shown this show to 10 of my friend, and they all love it. Sow this TV series is worth watching. If you like to watch one tree hill, or parenthood, you will love this seri to. You fall in love whit the actors, lucks plays an amazing part same dos kate and baze. You feel whit them when you are watching the TV series,,

Great show, liked it the first time I seen it

Author: rockon1990 from Canada
11 September 2010

Well I seen it on TV yesterday, I was just looking through channels and came across this......actually I think I watch something before it and seen come on. Anyways caught my attention when I first seen it, seemed really good. And it didn't disappoint me at all, loved it. Just going to have to catch the time when it comes on cause I would love to see this great heart warming show again. Well I caught the first the one, it starts with this 15 old girl who lives in foster care and when she turns 16 she is able to go on her own. But she needs her real parents to sign papers. That is when she meets the two parents, who 15 years ago got together in high school. With 15 years gone by, both have lived their own life and stuff. So Im sure it would be pretty shocking out of the boom to find out that they have a daughter. Well like I said very good show, I can't wait to see the next one, I think its refreshing,all the roles were picked perfectly. I highly recommend anyone to check out this heart warming show.

The script prevented me from liking the story

Author: GeeaC
24 May 2011

I liked the idea of the dysfunctional family trying to fix itself along the way, with family members trying to grow and to better themselves.

However, the writers failed to live up to the story's potential. It's very hard to like the characters and to root for them when all they do - episode after episode - is lie to each other, engage in passive-aggressive behavior and endless rantings, then get depressed and complain about how miserable they are and how everybody is against them.

And the characters who should be raising our sympathy, the mother-daughter duo, are actually the most obnoxious ones, while the men in their lives seem to have resigned themselves with the role of "the whipped".

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]