IMDb > "Rookie Blue" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A day in the life

Author: (Silver_Spiral) from Toronto, Canada
3 August 2010

With all of the reality shows polluting television stations everywhere these days, shows like this are what keep me from turning off my TV permanently.

Rookie blue is exactly what you think it is: a cop show. It's got action, drama, and even has it's comedic moments. It has a variety of characters, the main ones being the five rookies, and chronicles the goings-on in and around the team.

The main characters are Andy, the good cop who rarely lets anyone in, Epstein, the smart dork from a broken family (that he never really talks about), Peck, the mean girl whose mother was a well-known and well-respected cop on the force, Diaz, the good Catholic boy who seems to want to break free of that image, and Nash, the single mother who's been trying to balance work and motherhood without anyone's help. They're all, at times, naive and still have so much to learn but isn't that what being a rookie is all about? You're trained according to what might happen but that almost never completely prepares you for the real world.

I think the problem many viewers have with this show is that it's been done before but, like I said , this is a cop show and that's what it's promised to be. If you know you don't like the genre, that's fine, but it isn't the show's fault. I'm venting a bit, but it's just frustrating when the advice being given is to not give the show a chance because there have been similar shows before. If you're looking for something completely different from anything you've ever seen before, you'll be looking for quite some time so, in the meantime, give this show a chance. It has real characters: ones everyone can relate to in some way or another, and the stories continue to unravel every week. Each episode has stories of their own, but there are also overarching story lines that regular viewers can become attached to.

It recently got renewed for a second season (Congratulations!), so it'll be around for a while. It really is a good show. The kind that I, personally, have been wanting to see but didn't expect in the summer (how often do good summer shows come on?). So, if you can, check it out. The episodes also get posted on Global TV and ABC's sites, so if you can't see it when it airs, it'll also be there. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!

potential galore

Author: someofusarebrave from United States
19 July 2010

I want to take a moment to defend this show, and I will defend it mightily. Yes, there are some unresolved issues that the creators would benefit from paying some attention to. Yes, the show can be much better than it is. Yet, that in itself is kind of inspiring, and certainly enough to keep this show around for more than one season. I would be willing to see a LOT more of it, in fact. It has so much opportunity to address so many issues with its fantastic premise. If it bobbles every once in a while like with the third, so what? It's only four episodes in. Every show's team makes mistakes sometimes. The point is whether or not they learn from their mistakes. The episode that came on after the third was infinitely better than the previous one. The lead characters seem to be having a BALL, always an important aspect of what makes a show watchable. There are a myriad of possibilities left to explore. The lead actors and actresses are excellent and perfectly cast, Mr. Sam whatchamacallit is an excellent handsome lead I promised myself I would not fawn, and Andie is a very compelling character in herself. I would prefer a voice over from her so that her behavior made more sense why be so mean to Sam because of rules that are not under his control? Why can't she just TALK to him about it? Is she actually not interested?. I would also prefer that she be a bit more approachable, and please God, better at her job. Right now she SEEMS every bit the bumbling intern, and is clearly not doing as well as everyone else. Yet that gives her the opportunity to redeem herself. Many shows begin with a much less interesting premise and get less interesting as they go along. This show is better than at least half the shows on television, including those that have somehow like a certain criminal investigation show, anyone? persisted for a good three years longer than they should have with critics' inexplicable approval. This show is fun, it is real, it is a look at a world we have only seen from the rosy point of view of the very best. We have never seen the criminal justice system deeply challenged from the inside, which Andie seems poised to do. We have never seen the rules of engagement actively challenged, which Sam seems poised to do. We have never had any writers tackle the very real problem of special treatment in selecting new candidates for the force and offering promotions. We have never seen people of different races work together and address misunderstandings, like Andie's best friend and her paramour. This is very good television, AND it is very female-friendly television. Men, shut up. This show is not for you. This time, it is not ABOUT you!

it'll grow on you if you let it

Author: nikolai_goustoff
29 December 2010

New cop dramas come out every year or two and most are hit or miss, but there is something to this show that leaves me hoping it gets picked up again for another season. The show follows a group of fresh rookies trying to find their way on the force through mistakes and errors in judgement. It's filmed and set in Toronto, with its share of Canadian actors so that hit home with me. I read a review of this show that was very harsh and was disappointed that the show wasn't accurate in terms of what actual police work is like for rookies in terms of the amount of freedom they have in this show and the ability to make decisions. TV is meant for entertainment so I'm glad they don't have it accurate to a tee. But the emotions, fears, camaraderie, and pain these characters go through while trying to find their bearings in a new career are very real I think and contributes to the strength of the show.

Hope it's renewed

Author: mjorgensen62 from United States
9 September 2010

I've watched every episode. I judge a movie or TV show by how much I care about what happens to the character. Andy has grown in so many ways as a cop since the series began. Of course, this is the writing. Unlike so much crap on TV today, the writing and character development has been excellent. These guys really have matured from rookies to (at least) sophomores. What's great is that they haven't been written as knowing it all -- yet. But, am I the only one who sees -- and feels -- that the entire 15th has become a big family, all having each others' backs? I care about these people, and I hope ABC sees fit to renew it to fill in for the soon-to-be-history fall show that fails first.

Pleasant Enough

Author: JDoe40 from Ireland
10 February 2011

OK the main reason I even gave this show a go was the 2 women from the ad, Missy Peregrym and Charlotte Sullivan. With that admission, the show was actually still watchable.

All of the characters are at least tolerable, there is not too much angst and relationship drama, there is action and most of the plots were at least enough to hold the viewers interest. Sure some of the situations portrayed were over the top, with the mistakes the rookies made, but it also gave the characters a chance to learn from them and progress. As for the people who complained about such minor issues as belts etc, well who cares tbh! I for one never noticed them, and couldn't care less.

The show is basically a good way to spend an hour, it won't change your life, but on the other hand you won't think it was a total waste. The show is not a serious gritty ultra realistic drama, it's light entertainment, and that's what it does. As Swarek says: "It is what it is".

It's Great Entertainment

Author: larsonszoo from United States
20 August 2010

Come on, people. It's entertainment, it's a story, it's neither a police procedural manual nor a 'reality' show (as if those are 'real'). I know firsthand that the courtroom drama shows are also very unrealistic, but most trials actually get very boring, and who wants to watch that? For those who are carping about the acting, I wonder which shows you usually watch. With a heck of lot of training and performing under my belt, I'm very impatient with poor acting, but I find these characters very engaging, which is a good sign that the acting chops are there. My suggestion: Either don't watch it, or relax and enjoy it for what it is. I, for one, hope it stays on the air.

It won't be for everyone, but it's entertaining!

Author: soroyama from Canada
27 August 2010

Frankly, I agree with some of the reviewers from the US. After all, I'm a superhero and I have yet to see a show or movie that I felt properly demonstrated what the life of a superhero is like, I mean a 3 year old evil genius could invent better gadgets than what the movies or shows give Batman. ;) Seriously though, I've never seen any promotional material stating that this show was supposed to be real...but it is really entertaining. Yes, there are moments when I'm yelling at the screen because one of the "rookies" completely disregarded all common sense, never mind their training. Truthfully though, these characters are all young (well, compared to me) and I'm perfectly willing to admit that I didn't always show the most common sense when I was that age, so these blunders don't bother me. I'm not expecting a perfect recreation of life on the force, I'm just expecting some entertaining stories that are well delivered and that's what I'm getting.

As for my fellow Canadians, the best praise I can give this show, is that I didn't realize it WAS Canadian until some Canadian cities were mentioned in the show. Let's face it, our comedies are generally very good, but our dramas have some times been rather lacking. This one isn't.

Rookie Blue (Season 1 + 2) Review: A Tribute to my fellow Torontonians

Author: TheTVSamurai from Toronto, Canada
25 January 2012

This was a little gem I found in the beginning of summer. Despite being aired on Showcase, Global and ABC, I didn't really hear too much about this show until the first season was done. With the series being filmed and set in Toronto, I was surprised it took me so long to watch it. This show might be old news to a lot of people but personally, I only know a handful of people who have seen this. So let me give a brief synopsis before getting into the review.

On the surface, Rookie Blue looks nothing more than a typical police drama with hardly any big name actors (No offence to Missy Peregrym and Gregory Smith) but it is so much more than that. Perhaps it holds a special place in my heart because of its Toronto and Canadian connections. The best way to describe this show is Grey's Anatomy with cops instead of surgeons. Replace the interns with rookies and Seattle Grace with 15 Division and you got yourself, Rookie Blue. The story is focused on 5 rookies (All Canadian actors btw) that just graduated from the academy, and follows their young careers as they experience the hardships of being a police officer both, on and off duty. Each rookie is assigned with a training officer and its a treat to watch the different dynamics of each pair, as well as the dynamics among the rookies as a group - learning together yet competing with one another to gain attention from the top dogs.

The main star of the show is rookie Andy McNally portrayed by the Montreal beauty, Missy Peregrym (Stick It), she's a cop that has a lot to prove because she carries the baggage of her father, a worn out, burnt out homicide detective. Other rookies include, over achiever, Dov Epstein (Gregory Smith, Everwood), nice-by-the-book-guy, Chris Diaz (Travis Mine), tough girl with an attitude, Gail Peck (Charlotte Sullivan), and the responsible single mother, Traci Nash (Enuka Okuma). Some of the veteran cops include, McNally's training officer, Sam Swarek (Ben Bass) - who's the direct opposite of her, goes by instinct and tends to break the rules to get the job done, homicide detective, Luke Callaghan (Eric Johnson) and Nash's training officer, Noelle Wlliams (Melanie Nicholls-King). With such a big ensemble cast of interesting characters, I need to cut myself short, or I'd be typing forever.

Please continue reading the full review at: http://goo.gl/3VH68

Rookie Light Blue

Author: killer1h from United States
19 August 2010

I tend to disagree with everyone saying this show is bad, there seems to be a lack of knowledge from the rookies but thats part of the appeal. I think the writers were really trying to humanize the characters and show that cops don't just pop up being all bad ass and knowing all the stuff they know. This is really more of a training camp for cops from the very start, clearly they know the very basic but the instincts it takes to solid interrogation or street smarts while on the job are just not there so I'm gonna chalk that up to realism of the first few weeks of being on the job.

The second part that comes to mind is the cast, OK there's a massive fluctuation in dynamics here they need to really break down a few characters instead of just doing a scatter shot and hoping you like 1 main and 1 of the 50 other people they toss at you, I mean diversity is one thing but having so many people clumped up into 1 show is just a complete loss on the focus of the show, it makes everything seem incomplete because of constantly breaking away from one pair and moving on to the next.

Final review 7/10 too much stuff going on at once, simplify a bit and you'll have a solid show.

Rookie Blue - A 'fresh' insight into police life

Author: papy_dulce from Romania
2 November 2010

After watching season 1, all I can I say is that I enjoyed the show a lot. It's fun and interesting without being shallow. The focus is on the characters themselves and the personal relationships between them rather than on the events taking place. This probably makes it refreshing and exciting compared to the multitude of impersonal police and investigation drama series where viewers are only presented with the events as such and are not allowed enough access into the personal dimension of the characters. Each character is unique in their own way although they do share a common trait: humor, whether it is voluntary or not. It seems to be in their nature to treat the 'drama' in the show and in their lives with the necessary, required amount of irony and sarcasm, a fact which makes them funny and pleasant. As policemen, they do their job well, but at the end of the day they prove they are still human by going out for a drink with their friends, thinking about and analyzing the events they have just been a part of and drawing certain conclusions about themselves and life in general. Most of the times they don't allow themselves to take complex situations or difficulties too seriously although they are aware of them and the consequences these have on their lives. The characters are all 'fighters' and no matter the hardships they are faced with, they don't give into them and are prepared to start again the next day. The overall tone of the show is light-hearted but it is welcomed considering the police drama series genre. There is chemistry between the major characters and compatibility between all the characters. I do have to confess that, although at the beginning of the show I thought Andy and Luke would form a better couple than Andy and Sam, my opinion has changed since then. For me it is obvious, at the end of season 1, that Andy and Sam would form a better couple because they share a deeper level of understanding and communication. Sam is closer to Andy than Luke is and the first relates to her better than the last. I think that Andy simply needs more time to understand both of them and accept that Sam is the better option. Maybe as a viewer I would need to know more about Luke's character and to see more of his personal side and history to be able to still support his relationship with Andy. At the same time maybe we, as viewers, aren't really supposed to get a better look at Luke's character precisely because there is nothing more of interest other than the passion for his job. Either way, the fun of it all is also added by the fact that the five major characters are all rookies not only in their profession but also in their personal lives. They don't only need to 'discover' themselves but also those around them. It's going to be interesting to watch the transformations they undergo and the way they 'grow'. I'm anxiously waiting for season 2 to start - whenever that may be ,though I hope it is sooner than later-, and I hope the show not only 'lives up' to season 1 but also surpasses it and my expectations.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]