IMDb > "Flashforward" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Flashforward"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Flashforward" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

FastForward!

Author: jo_g84 from Sweden
16 October 2009

I really looked forward to this show but man I got so disappointed. It started out good but went worse and worse. I started to feel that they were just filling out the episodes with nonsense. At one point it was not interesting anymore.

What was the show called? Flashforward... They should change it to FastForward! Because that's what I want to do when I watch it. The characters are boring and the episodes are boring. The only thing you want to know is why and what caused the black out!

And for that I can wait until the episode that gives the answer. The way there doesn't really interest me.

I think I will just FastForward!

Not As Good As It Could Be

Author: wrbones from Australia
22 October 2009

Having read the novel about a year ago, I was quite excited by the prospect of it's transfer to the small screen. Sadly, it only took the opening 2 minutes for disappointment to set in. Where the novel is centred around the scientists whose experiment seems to be the cause of the flash-forward, the TV show makes no secret of the fact it is just going to be another cop show from the outset.

At least the TV writers pay some lip-service to the novel, running with one of the main themes, that of the protagonist's side-kick being dead in the future. Elsewhere though, it has little in common, with the focus being on characters who were never in the novel at all, and that is largely to it's detriment.

I would have thought shows like CSI would have paved the way for scientists solving mysteries on TV but it seems we are still stuck in the 70s, where only cops and shoot-outs make for decent ratings. They have also tampered with the time-line, bringing the flash-forward down from 2 years to 6 months, which makes it harder to believe that so many people's lives will be so fundamentally different. Of course, it fits in much better with the length of the TV season, so it's understandable, and I imagine there will be new flash-forwards to fuel subsequent seasons.

Where the show really falls down is in it's prime driving force - Agent Benford's (a nod to the scientist/novelist Gregory Benford, perhaps?) flash-forward of his investigation board. All the supporting characters question his single-minded pursuit of his memories of the board's contents, yet no-one comes up with the obvious possibility - maybe the board has those things on it purely because that's what he saw in his flash-forward, not because they have any relevance in the real world. i.e. It is an obvious self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course, the whole story would fall apart if that strong possibility emerged, but it is a fatal flaw for me and after 5 episodes my suspension of disbelief has evaporated because of it. I'm still enjoying Lost, at least it doesn't pretend to have any basis in reality, but I think I'm done with this show now.

FailForward

Author: Emm Rise from Romania
29 March 2010

I was really excited watching the first two episodes and I thought this was gonna turn out to be an action packed driven series involving the usual intricate conspiracies, betrayals and maybe a touch of paranormal stuff to spice it up. Big fcking disappointment I tell you. They got from the really excellent premise of a whole world collapsing and having memories of future events to a boring soap opera so poorly written that you see a big fake sign no matter how good acting is performed, except maybe for Sonya Walger, the main character's wife. Everything stinks and gets so boring that is painful to watch. You get so many unrelated details about characters' personal problems in a failed attempt to make them believable and probably to carry over the blank in the writers' imagination, to such extent that you don't even care anymore of the action itself. Moreover the plot is revealed pretty straightforward: two physicists who made the experiment and a bunch of mercs bent on ruling the world. Oh, and they have some mysterious rings and a three star tattoo. Other retarded plot related stuff: the FBI chief who's a close friend of the president, but blackmails him, the gay chick who has a vision and wants a child, but then she gets shot in the uterus, the nazi guy who gets freed by telling them crows fainted as well, four stories high installations that nobody previously detected, the black guy that kills himself just to prove he's right, the whole suicidal blue hand organisation, bazooka blown car with characters inside, but they emerge triggerhappy 10 feet away and the list can go on. I only give it a 5 for the original idea it started with.

A Good Show, To Say The Least

Author: luiscotovio from Portugal
24 April 2010

FlashForward first caught my attention with a teaser. A Stadium in which everyone was passed out, the noise of explosions and crashing cars, plumes of smoke rising in the horizon. And then a title, FlashForward. That was it. Simple and effective. I immediately started searching the web and found brief synopses. Being a sci-fi fan, the concept was appealing so i decided to give it a chance when it first aired in AXN. And since then i stuck with it, even through the "slow" episodes, even through the 3 month break. And i'm glad i did. Since it's return FlashForward has given more thrills than anything else out there. (I'm not following LOST since i lost track of it around season 2, gonna watch that all in a row). Like most shows that deal with such a wide canvas, it has it's faults and plot-holes but if you focus on the story being told and the characters and don't think too much about all that, FlashForward is what is supposed to be. Downright entertaining. Hopefully a second season will come.

Shame there's not a 2nd season

Author: Aw1989 from United Kingdom
1 July 2012

Positively gripping from the start. Great storyline, likable characters, and just the right amount of sci-fi (enough to be somewhat believable).

There is however, one criticism. Half way through the season, they introduced too many 'Baddies' (none of whom knew who they were working for and why) which can become slightly off putting as the story can seem repetitive. For example, Alda Hertzog, who seemed to be a key suspect, flitted in and out of just 5 episodes. Hellinger, who seemed to be accountable for the blackout, also appeared quite briefly in five episodes. Hellinger didn't feature enough times in the season for us to create any emotion involving his character. I also think Frost deserved a better developed character background.

So was the blackout just an experiment to prove that no matter how you try and change your course in life, you will still always return to your designated path? Or was it something greater than that…

It's still, overall a very good show. I did think half way through, how could they possibly create a second series from this? But after seeing the ending, I am truly disappointed that there isn't a second season to look forward to.

It's a recommended watch!

Shouldn't have been canceled

Author: Luiz Muraca from brasil
29 August 2012

This is an excellent show. Probably one of the best science-fiction ever. However it was probably too intelligent for the American middle audience and, since it was not understood, was canceled.I came to this understanding since ABC preferred to maintain the awful "V" remake instead of keeping "FF", based on America's view review. Too bad................ We lost a amazing series.............. And V proved to be worthless of a 2nd season............ Try to get a FF copy........... Totally worth it................. This is an excellent show. Probably one of the best science-fiction ever............ However it was probably too intelligent for the American middle audience and, since it was not understood, was canceled.................... I came to this understanding since ABC preferred to maintain the awful "V" remake instead of keeping "FF", based on America's view review. Too bad................ We lost a amazing series.............. And V proved to be worthless of a 2nd season............ Try to get a FF copy........... Totally worth it.................

Pondering the same issue over and over again

Author: Olaf Weyer (olafreinhardweyer@googlemail.com) from Germany
5 April 2010

This series started out good, but it's all gone wrong now. I am a big fan of melodrama and always thought a show couldn't have enough of it, well i've been proved wrong. This series is in dire need of dropping the pondering of the flashforwards effects on society as a whole and the characters personal lifes and better get into action, conspiracy and investigating soon (like the pilot and second episode promised) or it will be soon as dead as it already feels. Melodrama, in this case, should be a bonus, like it is in the X-files and 24, not the main focus.

Here is your problem, writers: The Experience of the flashforward was a single event now in the past and as a single event it is just to static to hold any prolonged intereset. You can't make a single starting point into a whole series. You couldn't have Lost ponder the plane crash all the time and how it feels so bad if there is a whole island full of weirdos to explore. You don't use your cast of characters to show how bad they feel about having crashed and how that crash ONLY effects there life from now on, while there a whole bunch of other things that will effect them because AND AFTER they crashed. Your problem is, that the flashworwads doesn't hold anything interisting. Whats to come is less dramatic then what has happened. We already had the cities on fire all over the world, but no such thing seems to be happening on the day the flashforward depicts. It just seems to be a normal day. Where is the adventure in that? No wonder, your characters are more interested in their perosnal lifes and their emotional make up.

Writers, there is a solution: Peoples flashforward are getting more refined. Not all was revealed about the future occurrence, when they them. Flashforward Day will be global hell, slaughter, death, disturbing new images overhelm our people. Now that should help them do something about it, huh?

Great show!

Author: mambx from United Kingdom, Brighton
5 March 2012

Even though this show only last one season, it was a great show, and I used to look forward to watching it.

It really annoys me to why companies cancel really good shows and then start up really horrible ones, this one could have been a replacement for a major show but they cancelled it off like they cancelled 'V 2009'. Really disappointed, but nevertheless it happens too much these days.

Plot was solid, the characters tied it all together exceptionally well and I really really loved how the show progressed. I even read the whole book after the series ended, that's how good I thought it was.

The whole perception part of the show was epic, and i'll probably get round to watching this show again just for a recap.

If you haven't seen this yet, then you have to, it's one of those shows you cannot miss.

This was the best show ever

Author: Gibah Joseph (talk2joegibson@yahoo.com) from Nigeria
11 February 2012

This show was the best after Lost. it was full of mystery and science fiction. Even though i knew the show was going to be canceled, i kept on watching, thats how compelling it was.Why the show was canceled, i have no idea. ABC if you are reading this, you guys really messed up.Canceling a show like this was a very dumb move. It had everything everyone wants in a series (mystery,sci-fi). I know its been almost two years but i want this show again, thats how much i love it. The pilot left me wandering what was happening and another thing i love about the show is its straight forwardness and proper co-ordination of time travel. PLS bring FLASHFORWARD back... its not too late

Amazingly intense. I WANT MORE

Author: Jennifer Hutchinson from United States
22 February 2011

Bought the series and I love it. Too bad it was canceled. I would love to see more. The twist and turns of this show are great and keep you on the edge of your seat. It is well cast and very well thought out. Some of the scenes are a bit unrealistic but it's a made for TV show and I would really like to spend my Thursday nights watching FF again. BRING IT BACK!! From my understanding the show doesn't really have an ending (I still have 2 episodes left to watch) so I know that it is possible to keep this thing going. I would absolutely buy the next series if it ever put back on air. I am going to write to ABC telling them I want my show back.

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]