IMDb > "Cougar Town" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Cougar Town"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Cougar Town" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Love it!

Author: blondesweetie0027 from United States
5 October 2009

Well, I see no one else likes it. Oh well. I think its hilarious. Maybe a little much for basic television, but on cable it would be awesome. I think it's really funny. I don't think it's offensive at all. Just because we don't feel like we relate to a character doesn't mean that they are offensive. I'm from Texas. Have you ever seen how they portray us on television. They act like we are all how do I put this, "Big ol' country bumpkins that say ya'll every other word and wear cowboy hats and belt buckles as large as our state, and that every word we say has to have some southern twang to it". It's a television show. It's funny. For once can we just let one show survive at least one season. I've already lost Lipstick Jungle and Samantha Who.

Not what you think (And a good thing, too)

Author: somniumergosum from United States
31 March 2010

Cougartown is a brand new show starring Courtney Cox as a newly-single over-40 mom ready to start dating a bunch of young guys!! ... fast forward a few episodes Here's the deal. The whole "cougar" idea really didn't work for this show. They wanted a show about a hot 40-something dating young guys, and stumbled upon some genuinely likable characters ready for a sitcom. So while the title remains, the show is actually about the life and friends of Courtney's character, Jules, as she struggles to rediscover herself when she thought she was past the age of new discoveries.

Just when you think the show is getting predictable, it pokes fun at itself. Once you get tired of Jules chugging wine every single episode, there's a show about her trying to quit drinking. As soon as you get tired of her meddling in the affairs of her friends, there's a show to see if she can go a day without prying. The show is very self-aware and unpretentious.

The characters are hilarious. Andy has the guy-love obsession with Jules' ex husband. Grayson was a superficial jerk until we found out he worked better as a damaged, but ultimately likable guy with intimacy issues. Jules' two best friends couldn't be more different, and the conflict stays refreshing. The son is hilarious, and provides some great sarcasm and a constant reminder that this nut-case main character is still a mom who is trying to raise a teenage son.

The bottom line is this: The show is no longer about it's title. I don't care what you decide to call it, Cougar Town is relaxing, funny, and a flat out easy watch.

Favorite new show of the season

Author: marypfra from United States
29 October 2009

Cougartown, as a whole, is my favorite new show this season.

Jules (Cox) is a divorced mom who lives next door to her best friend (Krista Miller), and sells real estate with her other best friend (Busy Phillips). She married young, so is just now testing her wings in the dating world and it happens to be with a younger man. Her best friends can't stand each other, but love her and are a good support system in helping her navigate this strange new world. The dialogue between the best friends is snarkiness at it's best.

Courtney Cox is brilliantly funny - I always thought she did comedy better than drama and this is a much better vehicle for her than Dirt, IMO.

In addition to our star, the show has an excellent supporting cast - Krista Miller rocks, as usual, Busy Phillips is a hoot - loved her in Freaks and Geeks, Dan Byrd (her son) is a breath of fresh air, and the rest of the men are not only hilarious, but delicious eye candy.

The writers are genius and I just hope that they can continue with this high level of hilarity through-out the season.

I can't imagine any woman 30+ who isn't going to identify with Jules & her friends.

If you haven't given it a shot, yet, I hope you make the time to do so.

love it.

Author: lovenaty from Romania
1 August 2009

Can a woman of a certain age be a mom, a successful career woman and still be on the prowl? Jules Cobb (Courteney Cox) is about to give it a try.

In a small Florida town, the center of high society is the Cougars high school football team... which is wildly appropriate since this town is the natural habitat for over-tanned, under-dressed divorcées prowling for younger men. Jules desperately doesn't want to be one of them, but with an ugly divorce behind her and 40 staring right back at her, she's longing for a little more action in her life. The available men her own age, like her silver fox of a neighbor, Grayson Ellis, only seem interested in dating barely legal hotties -- which is awkward considering he's also her teenage son Tad's therapist. Egged on by her very married and very irreverent best friend Elle and her determined assistant Laurie, Jules reluctantly dips her toe back into the dating pool. To her surprise, she hits it off with a nice young guy named Bobby -- emphasis on the young -- and discovers this gal still has the goods.

I didn't expect to, but I really loved this show !!!

Author: brenee24 from United States
5 March 2010

Hearing the name Cougar Town and thinking of Courtney Cox Arquette's recent plastic surgery, I didn't expect much from this show. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. I was driven to write a review (my first one after being a member for many years) because I really enjoy this little gem of a show and I wouldn't want to see it go off the air after only one season.

The characters work beautifully well together. There is a nice chemistry to the cast, but their rivalries and grudges are also appealing. Cox plays a great neurotic divorcée, but the character is quite different from her portrayal of Monica on Friends. Her son does a superb job as a deadpan role, probably the most down to earth of the entire cast of characters, he is great for one liners and comments on the awkwardness of his familial situation. The strangely devoted relationship between her ex-husband, Bobby and her best friend Ellie's husband Andy is hilarious and over the top but still believable. Meanwhile Ellie (Christa Miller a.k.a. Jordan from Scrubs a.k.a. Kate from Drew Carey) plays a slightly nicer version of her Scrubs character and does so with panache. It's actually nice to see her tone down the meanness and be more human, but still with the wittiness and bossiness of Jordan.

I've heard that Cougar Town has been garnishing some pretty scathing reviews and I can't really understand why. Not an episode has gone by where I didn't Laugh Out Loud several times. Honestly, I think it might be the second best show to debut in 2009- right behind Community, which would be extremely tough to beat.

Anyway, my overall grade ? A+ Very well done.

Wickedly funny sitcom, played to the hilt by Cox & Friends

Author: Dan Navarro (daneldorado93@yahoo.com) from United States
14 January 2010

When I heard that Courteney Cox, the comely Monica from NBC's megahit "Friends", was launching a new show this year in which she plays a 40ish divorcée on the prowl for young men, I thought: Wow! Little Monica as a midlife hellcat! This has got to be either the best show ever, or the worst show ever!

Fortunately, Ms. Cox and the writers of "Cougar Town" know how to be funny and edgy at the same time. Courteney's new show, set in a south Florida beach town, features her as the newly divorced Jules Cobb, who's trying desperately to be sexy and win over a new generation of boys... er, men.

Mrs. Robinson she ain't. Jules is not a predator so much as she is a wishful thinker. The men she attracts -- all of them good-looking, hunky Florida guys -- are usually dimmer than a 25-watt bulb, but still she keeps on trying.

Her two best friends, Ellie (Christa Miller) and Laurie (Busy Phillips), align with Jules to help her score with the guys. Ellie is married to a faithful guy whom she tries to humiliate at every chance, while Laurie is a younger (and blonder) version of Jules, hoping to meet Mr. Right... but not before she has bedded a lot of Mr. Wrongs.

The dialogue is sharp, and crackles with 21st century wit. One example shows us Jules, sitting in an outdoor restaurant with her current lover, with whom she is having a mild dispute. Her friendly rival, Barbara (played bitingly by Carolyn Hennesy) sits at the next table, a few feet away. Barbara leans towards Jules and says:

"If you're not going to eat that, can I have it?"

Jules, startled, says: "My omelet?"

Barbara: "No. HIM!"

Yes, it's that kind of a show. But it's all light-hearted and joyous. Let the good times roll.

Cheers, Dan

great show

Author: lspin337 from United States
17 February 2010

This show has a brilliantly funny writing staff, employs a fantastically talented cast and is an all around entertaining show. The characters all compliment each other so well that the jokes and transitions look seamless.

The dynamic between Courtney Cox's show-centric Jules and everyone else in the cast is so perfectly executed. Busy Phillips' Lori, is one of the funniest relevant characters seen on TV today. Christa Miller adds as much to this show as she did and continues to do on Scrubs. As Ellie, she is cross between her character on Scrubs and June Cleaver.

Although the formula is very similar to Scrubs, there is no reason why that should be a bad thing. Scrubs was a very innovative show when it began and now Cougar Town is following in its hilarious footsteps.

The men in the Cougar Town cast are also so strong. Brian Van Holt's comedic timing, Josh Hopkin's character complexities, Dan Byrd's wide eyed innocence and Ian Gomez's slapstick all work so well with the rest of the cast's abilities.

The only negative in my eyes is the shows title-only because it throws the men off with thoughts of a Sex in the City, Desperate Housewives, Lipstick Jungle hybrid. Men need to have an open mind and not judge a show by its title. They will end up realizing that this show is just plain funny, regardless of gender. Men will definitely enjoy this show on the same level or even more than woman.

10 Stars!!!

Author: Kenneth Edwards from United States
26 November 2010

I cant say anything bad about this show. Its like they have worked together forever. Being able to see Busy Phillips in HD on a weekly basis ain't to shabby either but she also earns her comedy chops along side Courtney Cox who is HIGHlarious. Its like Monica Geller, divorced and on the prowl. Im not mad at that. And Christa Miller entertains on any show she is on. It seems as if every person playing on it and everyone behind the scenes working on this show fits perfectly within it. From the jokes to the actors and actresses to the writers directors camera guys editors anybody that works on the show works well in the best oiled sitcom machine since My Name is Earl. Watch it and be entertained.

A suburb version of Scrubs

Author: mikeyswood from United States
29 September 2009

A HUGE hit potential.

This show has the writers and the cast to carry on the intelligent and witty comedy that Scrubs mastered.Unfortunately it is being panned by the same people that were not smart enough to get Scrubs.

Courtney Cox is great as a cougar

Dan Byrd is perfect for the role of the son

Kevin Biegel brings a direct link to the fast comedy that Scrubs had back on the NBC days.

Christa Miller will evolve into a great sarcastic counter to Cox

Overall very good start and continued success!

If you're 14, you'll love this show

Author: robotjock from Brazil
15 February 2010

I'm an American living in Brazil and I've been catching up on TV shows. I thought Cougar Town looked interesting enough and took a chance on getting all the episodes. I made it through about 5 of them (hoping it would get better) but finally gave up and deleted the entire season. I found it totally boring, stupid, and insulting to anyone with any intelligence. The characters and situations are shallow and their jokes are just not funny. I tired of the sarcasm between the 3 main female characters, totally disliked the wimpy neighbor who couldn't stand up to his wife, and the ex-husband who drives around a golf cart and lives on a boat in a yard is just plain silly. I decided not to waste my time on the show any more.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]