IMDb > "Accidentally on Purpose" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Accidentally on Purpose"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Accidentally on Purpose" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

I can't believe it's NOT butter

Author: (throckmorton@walla.com) from United States
15 February 2010

This is almost the worst show I have ever seen, and I watch LOTS of television and have since the early 1960s. Gilligan's Island is deeper than this show, but without the almost non-stop sexual cliché' bad joke innuendos. Holy Crapfest Batman! Are these really good actors delivering unbelievably bad performances or really BAD Actors delivering really bad performances. It's just too hard to tell! I know the writers are Drunk on Boons Farm Apple wine because the jokes are old and stale like that stuff was back during the Nixon Presidency. What a waste of time, money and laugh track. I mean only a Laugh Track laughs at this , ahhh thing.

I am sorry to everyone for going so easy on this disaster of a show, but I guess I am in a relatively good mood in spite of having just watched the 15th episode which brings me to another, ahhh thing. Isn't 15 the cutoff for garbage in the TV sitcom World? I thought that after 15 shows you pull crap like this out by it's roots so it will never grow again.

I hope you guys at CBS find something decent like a Cop Show or Lawyer or Doctor Show to take it's place. There aren't enough CSI type shows on the air you know. Why not CSI, Lance Link style? You know, with Chimps doing all the acting and voice-over artists getting all the money. That would be a hoot! Actually that's a pretty good idea! Anywho, I really can't believe it's NOT butter because it's still on for some reason. Somehow I can envision everyone connected with this show pushing a shopping cart filled with empty Cans and Bottles to the local Grocery store for the deposit money because that's their only source of income in the future unless they learn and write something funny real soon!

The spoiler is that I mention this as a CBS Show. That sure spoiled it for me anyways!

Who gives shows like these 10 stars?

Author: merv-albert from United States
15 February 2010

Really? I just sat through CBS' Monday lineup and did not laugh once. I've peeked in on a few of these shows and have never been able to make it through any of them. Including the "#1" Two and a Half Men (don't get me started). This Show Accidentally on Purpose is terrible. The writing is awful. Listen people, plugging in a laugh track every 4 seconds does not mean it is funny. That is the main reason why laugh tracks are used, for the people that watch this garbage know when they are supposed to laugh. Awful. A half hour I will never get back. These actors may be good comedic actors, but nothing can make this material funny. This is common denominator comedy for mass consumption. It amazes me that these shows get so many viewers. Maybe it shouldn't.

Accidentally funny

Author: vivatonal from United States
28 February 2010

I watched the first 5 minutes of the first show and was immediately turned off, which I literally did to the channel. I changed it! This show appears to be vaguely modeled on Dharma and Greg, which was funny, until the producers added a baby to the plot and ruined that show.

The acting is TERRIBLE. The writing is plain stupid, and the characters' delivery of the dialog is strained. I hear the actors' minds saying, "I'm trying so hard to be funny. I hope the audience thinks I am." I have forced myself to watch the show a couple more times. Was just a stupid as the first. The lady with the fake accent is retarded. The roommates are a waste of space and should be blacklisted, so they don't act on any other shows.

It appears my suffering will be over soon. I've seen ads for "Rules of Engagement" (which IS funny) in the same time slot as this idiotic "sitcom." I thought "What about Joan" was a bad as a sitcom can get. Congratulations for the producers of Accidentally on Purpose to prove me wrong!

It hurts to write this. It hurts worse to watch this show.

Author: tmcdaniel1 from United States
19 October 2009

If some of the other reviewers are like me they did not relish giving this show such poor reviews. I think most of us know Jenna Elfman is capable (when in the right circumstances) of being a fine comic actor.

However, this thing is just ugly. These are the kind of people in town that I struggle to keep away from. Not that all my friend are perfect (or me) but, these people seem to lack redeeming qualities. If we see their good side, it is only for a moment before they lapse back into behavior that swerves between the pathetic and the vile.

The Jenna character seems entirely out of place as someone who is old enough to know better than to give the advice she does. Yet, she seems to delight in playing to the weaakest and most immature sides of her "friends" personalities. When she does this with her baby, he will likely grow up to be Andy Dick. Not the Funny Andy but the Creepy Andy.

This is an entirely different setting than D&G where everyone's flaws were drawn clearly yet, (nearly)everyone had something admirable about them (even if was by accident). Most of the people in AOP strike me as younger, slacker (and even more immature) versions of the D&G characters: Jane and Pete Cavanaugh. If they were your absolute favorites, maybe AOP is for you.

Have only been able to stand watching most of two episodes. The thing too often veers into creepiness due to the repellent characters and the howling bad writing. Painful.

I tried. Can't watch anymore.

Author: motorhead85021 from United States
29 September 2009

I had high hopes for this show.

Jenna Elfman was great in Darma & Greg. She was even great in her two-parter 2 1/2 men.

This show is not funny. 95% of the time, this show is not funny. Not even close. It's like they thought all they had to do was plop down a Scottish accented-woman next to Jenna, and watch the highjinks unfurl.

I've watched 1 1/4 episodes. I won't be watching again.

BTW, The only saving grace to this show is Nicolas Wright as Davis. The guy was really funny in the 1st episode, fairly funny in the next. And that's the problem with "Accidentally on Purpose". he's the only person who says anything FUNNY. (And he's the only reason I gave this show 4 stars).

I think the entire show was an accident

Author: thenar from United States
27 September 2009

I love Jenna and I had great hopes for this show, but it was tedious rather than funny. Jenna is a great talent and took the show "Because I wanted to make people laugh again." Unfortunately she got stupid material rather than clever humor, which she's so good at. The supporting actors seemed okay too. It was just bad material and the premise is a little thin to make an entire series about. Sure you could develop the human relationships, but I didn't really care about any of the characters...why would I go through the pain of getting to know them?

I blame first the network executives who seem to have not a clue with some of their choices. Then, the producers for poor decisions along the line. The problem is THEY thought this was funny. Figure that one one out! Ether that or they think we'd think it funny which is pure disrespect for the viewer...they must think were all idiots. I quickly removed it from my Tivo list.

Accidentally bad, or bad on purpose?

Author: sixstring-1 (kulturmix@gmail.com) from Budapest EU/Hungary
23 September 2009

Oh dear... I've had so high expectations, and after having watched the pilot episode, I was so disappointed.

Not just because Jenna Elfman is not that fresh, bright, brilliant actress I fell in love with instantly after one episode of "Dharma And Greg"... but because the show brings absolutely nothing new, nothing fresh, nothing original.

Too bad, because this could be funny actually, if we would see it for the first time... But after about five hundred repetitions of the same situation, same joke, same phrases, seen hundreds of times in different sitcoms and movies in the past 10 or 20 years... it's just dull, boring and annoying.

Jenna Elfman - of course - is immensely charming and cute and still beautiful, but it's simply not enough. It's actually almost painful to watch her trying her best to save this sinking boat of a script, and she's not doing a bad job with it either, but she is simply unable to carry the show on her shoulders. The rest of the cast is not even worth mentioning, including Doug Savant, unfortunately.

All in all, less than mediocre script, unimaginative execution overall, very disappointing. I'm surprised if this show is going to live to see the end of the '09-'10 season.

boring

Author: royaabdoly from Canada
18 January 2010

one of worst i have ever seen. if it was not for its time slot it would have been cancelled long time ago. it is not funny and they are forcing the issue with corny laugh tracks. stop the show and let the poor woman have her baby may be she do a better job.the character have no feelings or funny things about them maybe for the boyfriends friend. the secretary is not funny and what is it now with all the shows that there must be somebody with British accent in them? and i this show the secretary is from Scotland, ha ha ha funny. most of the actings are bad except for miss elfman which i can say is the only good point in this sitcom.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]