IMDb > "Accidentally on Purpose" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Accidentally on Purpose"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Accidentally on Purpose" More at IMDbPro »

Pretty good and getting better

Author: Carlos Figuera from United States
12 November 2009

The writing was a bit weak at first, but it's getting much better. As for the actors, Jenna Elfman is an amazing comedic actress. She could read from the phone book or dictionary and make it sound funny. Jon Foster is also pretty darn good, his character is more quiet and laid back than Jenna's, which makes a great contrast. And the chemistry between them is terrific. Honestly, I enjoyed Jenna Elfman's other TV show, "Dharma and Greg," but there just weren't any sparks between her character and the guy who played her husband. But on "Accidentally on Purpose," you can almost feel the heat between Jenna Elfman and Jon Foster. The supporting characters can be a bit cartoon-like but maybe the writers will figure out what works for them. There is really some funny stuff going on here and I hope the show lasts. I don't want to see it replaced in the spring by yet another season of "Rules of Engagement." Please, NO!!

Witty and funny romantic comedy that's sexy, and it's nice to see the bright and attractive Jenna Elfman return to TV!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
20 October 2009

So far this new comedy "Accidentally on Purpose" is witty and funny and also it's nicely blended with romance and sexy appeal. Most of all it's nice to see the return of the cute and attractive Jenna Elfman to a TV series. I always liked Elfman from her "Dharma and Greg" days plus I've admired her sex appeal from certain film roles. Jenna plays Billie a mid to late 30's single woman who lives in the city by the bay San Francisco, CA. And Billie is a successful film movie review critic for a local newspaper however she's just broken up from her older and happens to be boss boyfriend James("Melrose Place's " Grant Show). So then Billie fishes the waters and she hooks with a young and hot boy toy Zack(Jon Foster) who's somewhat of a young slacker type she certainly robbed the cradle, however her pleasing night of unprotected passion leads to an unplanned pregnancy and strange roommate relationship with Zack. Along the way this relationship is challenging and trying as each are friends, yet they are exploring the fields with other people the jokes and one liners of this show may seem repetitive yet I find them witty and crude with sexual humor. As clearly the angles of sexual frustration is felt in Zack and Billie's relationship. And good supporting turns are given from Ashley Jensen as Billie's elegant and sexy female friend Oliva and it's funny and somewhat of a pain to watch Lennon Parham as Billie's comical and mentally challenged lonely sister Abby. Overall this show may not be a mainstay, still I like it as it's blended with enough sexy humor and wit to make any comedy fan watch. And it's a real treat for any Jenna fans to watch as it's nice to see the cute and attractive Elfman back working on TV.

Love it!

Author: ams1984 from Netherlands
30 September 2009

This show is funny. It has (until now) a pretty straight forward plot, but that doesn't mean it's bad. The actors, especially Jenna Elfman is delivering a great performance just as we all know and love about her. I hadn't seen much of her since Dharma & Greg, but it's like she never left.

The supporting actors are a well balanced add to the show. The Scottish lady (Ashley Jensen) is hilarious and the loser friends of the guy fit this show like a glove. I first had my doubts about the guy (Jon Foster), especially considering Jenna Elfman, but after the second episode I think he has what it takes to make it work.

I do wonder if the show can grow into a regular, seeing the plot doesn't offer us much to go on at this time, but it definitely has great potential!

Might be too early for that, but so far it's great

Author: audrulyte from Lithuania
29 September 2009

Well, it might be a little bit too early to say that as all I've seen was pilot plus next episode, but I really loved the show. It's really a good comedy and delivers some pretty good jokes as well as I do love the main plot. Kind of usually we get this plot on how a girl meets a boy or vice versa and how they start moving towards some kind of relationship. And in this show we get a one night stand which leaves a much elder woman pregnant and a guy ready to step in for the role of father. So how does a relationship built on that works? So far it's been funny and really entertaining to watch. Hopefully the script will continue to deliver a good laugh and funny situations. So as so far it was a really good entertainment 10 out of 10.

It isn't so bad!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
22 September 2009

Jenna Elfman can make this sitcom work if she has a great supporting cast. She plays an older woman about 37 who gets pregnant from a one night stand with a guy that she just met. She expects that he would go away but she was wrong. The father of her baby grew up without a father and doesn't want the same for the baby. Jenna's character has him move in with her platonic. We'll see what happens in the future with this show as it progresses. It's not as bad as it looks but Jenna Elfman is a great comedienne and she could pull this off. Her supporting cast isn't as memorable but they'll grow in time. I thought the show was okay for a pilot episode. It's not as bad as a lot of other sitcoms on the air. I am glad that CBS maintains the traditional sitcom with an audience and a set.

Reasons why I liked the show

Author: danad92 from Bulgaria
28 December 2009

Amazingly even for me, I pretty much liked the show. It is really funny, due to the extraordinary plot and the starring actors. Jennna Elfman is wonderful as always and the supporting actors make a good play. Being in the role of a single 37-years old woman, pregnant with a much younger guy's child points out even more evidently Jenna's comic talent and makes her look glamorous on screen again.

Important to mention are the funny jokes and hilarious situations mixed with some real, serious occurrences like pregnancy, marriage and relationships. The show could easily relax everyone and remind him to always look on the bright side of life :)

Love it, probably a little ahead of it's time!

Author: Samantha Cham from New York
9 December 2013

Billie is so Cute & real! Zack is so Hot! I love the show, but I've just watched them now. I think the material was probably too ahead of it's time in 2009. If this show was made this year. People in general will understand them more. The last few years TV have changed a lot. The plot is sweet the jokes are very funny. Sometimes little dark for general Mid Americans. I'm from New York, I love it! Too bad they only made 18 episodes. I do find the taste of TV or movies are not the same across USA. Which make sense when we all have different ways and standards of living! But I also find most shows are too dump for me to watch. LOL Especially reality shows.

Decent show

Author: MatthewLong23 from Toronto
28 November 2010

I recently bought this show on DVD because I heard good things and I heard there was somewhat of a conclusion when it was cancelled. It's the story about Billie who is a 37 year old movie critic at a newspaper. She used to go out with her boss but left him, when he wouldn't propose to her. On a random night she meets Zack who is only 22 years old. They hook up several times and she finds out she is pregnant. Zack wants to be involved but she finds her lifestyle and his is extremely different. They somewhat like each other but she has a rule to not hook up with him. This show is kind of like the movie Knocked up in that 2 people who don't know each other well find themselves pregnant and try to make it work. It has some good laughs in it but I wouldn't call it a great show by any standard.

Very good comedy

Author: Stacey Ingram from United Kingdom
15 November 2011

I loved this series and I was so disappointed that it was cancelled. The bounce between Jenna Elfman and Jon Foster is pure magic, not to mention what the supporting cast brings. All in all this is a wonderful watch and you are likely to be disappointed when you reach the end of the series, the connection that is felt between the characters is very rare and few shows manage to acquire this. Practically everyone will enjoy this as the humour involved contains different aspects therefore everyone will fall in love with at least one if not all of the characters. I've watched the series over and over again and I'm still not bored, definitely worth the watch.

everybody nice but not enough laughs

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 August 2013

Jenna Elfman is an older professional woman who accidentally gets pregnant from a one night stand with Jon Foster. After finding out, he then insists on being involved. This also starred Ashley Jensen and Lennon Parham. All of whom are funny likable pretty people. The situation in this sitcom is a little awkward but still workable. However the writing is just not funny enough no matter how hard the actors try. I guess the sit is OK, but not enough com. Maybe they just need more slapstick.

This got canceled after 1 season. It's probably as much as can be expected.