IMDb > Battleship (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Battleship

Battleship More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 77: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

What is wrong with people ? A movie that delivers on what it promises . .

Author: Drumpot from Ireland
13 October 2012

I went into the theatre expecting very little and found the movie altogether very enter entertaining. I can enjoy all kinds of movies and generally these kind of popcorn flicks let me down, but I honestly think this has been harshly judged.

I don't understand some people or their reviews, I genuinely think they don't have realistic expectations going into some movies. This is not a masterpiece like the godfather but is a 9 out of 10 on the guilty pleasure list. Its not short on action and is comparable to transformers, if not more focused on the action as opposed to the annoying teen love story.

If you expected shawshank redemption, pulp fiction or something with substance, you deserved to have your money taken and deserve to be disappointed. I am not American, but could still enjoy the usual over the top "Go U.S.A." save the world storyline because its a simple action flick. This did exactly what it said on the tin and for me was a superbly enjoyable action flick.

Plastic board game gone boom... with the addition of a few aliens.

Author: richy1024 from United Kingdom
27 September 2012

As soon as the trailers for this film were released it wasn't too long before audiences began to recollect the days of coordinates and plastic ships. Placing a white tag for a miss and a red for a direct hit on your battleship. The producers of the Transformers trilogy have rewarded board game lovers with a visually stunning version, and I doubt the toy house package never comprised of combat alien spacecrafts capable of pulling its weight on the water better than your battleships themselves? Communication and world dominance seem to be the recurring drive behind alien invasion and we rely heavily on the lethargic combatant to serve his country proud and save the world, whilst charming the ladies or attempting to impress the majority, including his dedicated brother and his girlfriend's father who ironically so happens to be chief commander of this operation. The story certainly places us in a world of sophistication and glamour. These aliens are big, bold and meaningful, but one cannot ignore the suffering it undergoes due to Hollywood's incapacity to tell a first-rate tale whilst being accompanied by the impressive images. Study the latest Transformers film (Dark of the Moon) and you'll understand this problematic concept. Liam Neeson is always convincing and it was always going to be appealing to see how pop sensation Rihanna would adapt to movie life. To her credit she performs rather emphatically considering the disappointment of most singers on the big screen.

Although the film reminds us of the basic but dazzling board game and it temptingly worth the watch, regrettably it fails to live up to the intensity of eyeing up your adversary on the other side of the board, anticipating their every move without the advancement of radar innovation and pretty faced marines.

I was so not looking forward to this.

Author: c-conley90 from United States
19 September 2012

This movie looked like a Transformers rip-off that wasn't very interesting and even worse was based off of Battleship. You know Battleship the board game, you played with red and white pegs in a board. Well, I watched it and for the first part, yeah the characters were OK, but then the aliens came and the movie suddenly picked up. And these are some weird aliens, they look like they come from planet who-ville with their little beards underneath their helmets. Kitsch makes for a great action hero when the moment comes for him to step up to the plate. Liam Neeson has a good walk on role as the father of his girlfriend he's trying to get him to let him marry. Rhianna, is OK, and so is some of the side characters, some of it can be accepted due to some of them not being actual actors for instance the legless soldier who was an actual soldier. Now, is it better than anything in the Transformers series, well, if you liked the Transformers series despite their flaws, you'd probably like this one just as well. The people who hate this will probably associate it with Transformers and Michael Bay. Because you know always,to some people Michael Bay is the source of evil in cinema and is the antichrist or the devil. Trust me they've had it out for the man since Armageddon. But that's a moot point because Bay has nothing to do with this movie, he didn't even produce it, neither did Steven Spielberg. Now, Steve Jablonsky who did the score does a somewhat similar score here. Though, I admit I like the AC/DC better than the Linkin Park. And yes, some people balked at the usage of Fortunate Son at the end of the movie, since it's technically a anti-war song. But nitpickers will be nitpickers. I enjoyed it, was it better than the Avengers, no. But, don't understand why it couldn't have made more than 65 million at the box office. I liked it despite knowing how much yes, it rips-off a lot, predator, Independence Day, Transformers.

Great special effects - Bad storyline

Author: Rskou from Denmark
10 September 2012

To help him correct his life, Commander Stone Hopper (Skarsgård) drafts his little brother Alex Hopper (Kitsch) to the Navy. Soon after they find themselves on the deck of a battleship defending themselves, their crew, their ship and the faith of mankind against an invading alien foe.

The storyline of the film is as to be expected. Like in Independence Day (1996) we find ourselves in an seemingly impossible fight vs. an superior adversary and only the cunning of a few men and women can alter the faith of mankind.

The special effects in the film are somewhat the best I've ever seen and make it a wonderful experience, but the rather thin storyline disappoints me.

But still, do I want to see the film again? I have to say 'Yes'. This is a great "cure-my-Sunday-morning-hangovers-film". You can sleep through most of the film and still not miss out on anything.

7/10 – On account of the great special effects.

More like Battlesh*t. This movie sunk.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
19 April 2015

I can't stand this film. Very loosely based off, the guessing game, Battleship from Milton Bradley. Battleship, the movie takes the concept of the game, where players smartly against each other in a classic contest that pits mind against mind, requiring logic, intuition and carefully considered strategy and turns into a dumb rip-off of a Michael Bay's explosion style film. Honestly, the movie would have work better, if the movie was just about the RIMPAC event that the writers put into the film. The Rim of the Pacific War-Exercise make sense, because it puts international ships against each other, in war games simulations. Unfortunately, director Peter Berg thinks the best way for him, to get viewers was to make it, into another generic Alien invasion movie. This isn't the way to make a movie based off a board game, at all. The alien concept has nothing to do with the source material. I really had high hopes for this film. After all, previous board games movies like 1985's Clue & 1995's Jumanji weren't so bad. Instead, the movie focus on really bad characters to carry out, this ill-advised plot. The convoluted story revolves around Alex Hopper (Taylor Kitsch), a reckless and irresponsible young man whose wild ways consistently disappoint his brother Stone, (Alexander Skarsgård), a respected commander in the U.S. Navy. To avoid prison, for a burrito-stealing related felony, Alex joins the Navy, in hope to turn his life around, impress a girl, Sam (Brooklyn Decker) and his superior, Admiral Shane (Liam Neeson). If this sounds, very familiar, it's basically a badly written first half- version of 2009's Star Trek, taking place on earth. I have nothing against Taylor Kitsch's acting chops, but his character is just annoying and too unlikeable. The whole burrito stealing scene is just thoughtless. I really didn't get it. Was the movie trying really hard to parody, truTV Presents: World's Dumbest Criminals!? I really doubt, that Alex would became a Lt. in the Navy in four years with a criminal record like his. Everything, that Alex was saying, was just too arrogant. Don't get me wrong, I love cocky characters, but there wasn't anything smart with his character being the hero. He's so utterly imbecilic that his character is more like an insult to all the brave Navy men out there, serving our nation. Another insulting character is Petty Officer, Cora 'Weps' Rikes played by singer, Rihanna. Don't get me wrong, Rihanna is a great singer, but I really couldn't get behind, Rihanna's film debut as a hard-as-nails weapons specialist. The reasons why is because how jarring, it was, for me to see her, portray a strong independent badass woman, when in real-life, she's not even close. Not only would she would allow men to beat her up, senseless in real life, but she end up return back to that abusive person, after this film. Rihanna's character also had some really terrible dialogue. Mahalo, motherf*** was a horrible one-liner. The way, it got censor for the PG-13 rating, makes it, even more ear-bleeding. At the same time, I'm really disappointed, by how lackluster, Liam Neeson's role in the film. He's perfect as a Navy Officer, and somebody that the Navy would be prove to have, represented them. Yet the filmmakers doesn't give his character anything badass to do in this film. He's just there to be the angry father character. His daughter, Sam played by swimsuit model, Brooklyn Decker has more to do in this movie, than him. Still, I couldn't really didn't care much of the sub-story of her and the injury Army serviceman, Lieutenant Colonel Mick Canales played by real-life Army veteran, Gregory D. Gadson, going up on the mountain to take out the alien's communication towers. I didn't find it, inspiring. I love, that the movie use real-life veterans, and active-service people as cast extras, but I just wish, they were given, better roles. Sure, the human characters are paper-thin, but I found the aliens to be the worse off. The aliens have the power to create a force-field that's two nautical miles wide and rises more than 300,000 feet in the air to encircle the Navy, but they can't protect their own ships with it against the Navy, nor could have protect their communication spaceship from a harmless satellite. Wow- these aliens are lame and not combat functionality. Not only that, but their weakness is the sunlight. Oh come on! Are they goths? They come from a planet, very similar to ours. The action is disappointing and surprisingly dull. Lots of over-used CGI effects, fake looking flare shots, and quick cuts, make this film not good. For a movie call 'Battleships', technically, there is only one Battleship, use in this film, and that's the USS Missouri. The others, were, technically, 'Destroyers'. I really didn't mind, the USS Missouri, got used, but I really doubt, it will be combat-action. It went to the bounds of unrealistic, right there. The film is such po-faced stoicism and flag-waving jingoism silly, that it impossible to emotionally connect with this film, beyond, laughing at how dumb, it is. The post-credit scene makes it, seem like a sequel will come out, but I really doubt it, due to how badly this movie, score in the box office. It did so bad that Hasbro, the toy company that fund it, nearly went out of business. Overall: the film feels half-baked and barely developed, making for a frustrating film that fails to ever fully engage, and ultimately lacks the brilliant simplicity of the game on which it was based. It's not good. Don't recommended.

Hidiously bad...

Author: dcobbimdb
23 December 2013

How Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgård ever let themselves be dragged down with this waste of film real I'll never know. That said they are little more than extras in this movie, both in it for a meager 15 minutes at most. It's astonishing really. It's not that often that you see a movie with a decent budget blow chunks so high but this one did it. Funny enough I knew ahead of time, I read the pour reviews, stayed away and finally watched it when it was free and I had nothing else better to do (or so I thought), and still I feel cheated...

What's really sad is I knew 5 minutes into it, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 40 minutes, heck the whole time I knew I was watching a crappy movie that dare I say I probably could have done a better job directing, and or acting in for that matter. It's really an awful feeling to be watching a movie and usually where there's that slightest bit of hopeful feeling that things will get better, but in this movie I had none of that and merely watched it to it's end as if to watch a ship sink into the ocean.

I'm never this negative about movies far as reviews go but I have to say this movie flunked on all levels, boring story, bad directing, bad action, bad acting. The special effects weren't bad but that doesn't score you any points these days unless it's something marvel, which this was not. I mean at one point we're actually playing "battleship" like the age old game, as if just because the sun went down we cannot detect the aliens ships and just because they are "sun challenged" they despite being able to travel faster than the speed of light across millions of light miles to get here can't seem to pick our ships out of water at night without line of sight? Oh and when the sun comes up it actually blinds them? I mean really??? And we as a semi intelligent audience are actually supposed to buy all this? I literally wasted two hours of my life, plus more to write this review which I hope will save someone some time.

Loads of fun!!!

Author: barendbkj
3 August 2013

I don't know why the bad reviews, this movie was awesome. The setting was perfect, the actors were great and the plot was spot-on. Don't go and watch this movie if your expecting a thing like Star Trek. This is much more easy to follow and to enjoy.

I saw now fault in any of the scenes and to me it was just a fun movie to watch, it has no reason too call for you to focus, so if you want to relax, the Battleship is the way too go.

Everything was great, the aliens, the action, the music, and the actors. Rihanna was surprisingly good, and the rest of the cast was a power-house!!

BATTLESHIP ROCKS!!!!!!

9.5/10 You people are crazy this movie was the 2nd best action packed movie I've ever seen next to transformers Dark of the Moon

Author: Christopher-lakits from United States
19 November 2012

I just don't understand how so many people hated this movie. Me, my wife, my dad, my brothers and father in law all thought it was great. The story was not the greatest but still it was good, the alien ships were awesome the special effects were amazing, the cast was great especially considering only one was actually a famous actor and Rhianna did great for her first time acting in a blockbuster movie. It's so good I will be buying it on blu-ray. It was great how they couldn't use radar and used the tsunami bouies and made it look like the battleship board game. The end was awesome what they did with the USS Missouri perfection. I'd give it a ten but it wasn't quit as good as transformers so I gave it a 9 wish there was a 9.5 option.

Alien invasion toy based movie.

Author: markalugo from United States
3 October 2012

OK everybody blasting this movie needs to stop for a second and think who made this movie and for who. It was made by Hasbro a toy company and for young kids. This was not meant for Oscar consideration. It was meant to entertain while teaching lessons. Even a loser can turn his life around to become a hero. Even rivals/enemies can come together to accomplish a common goal. For those complaining about "the old guys" running a ship, well those "old guys" were in the movie to honor the WWII and Korean Vets who might not be as familiar to the young target audience. Having met some of these real life old vets let me tell you something those were some of the toughest SOB's ever. They were boys asked to be men at a time that their country needed them and they answered the call. Pretty soon there won't be any left so I thought that was very cool move by the maker's of the movie to honor them in this way and another lesson taught that no matter how young or old, handicapped or whatever else anybody can make a difference. If you look at the movie in this way. I think you'll appreciate it more. You have to take things for what they are.

Prepare to be blown out of the water...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
4 August 2012

I initially feared that "Battleship" would turn out the way that "Skyline" did, being an empty, shallow husk of a movie with no story and was just pure CGI eye candy. Luckily, it turned out not to be. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, because it was both a good story and eye candy CGI combined into one.

The story in "Battleship" is that Earth have discovered a planet much like our own somewhere far away in the galaxy, and with amplified equipment mankind transmits a message far into deep-space. Something picks up on our signal and heads for Earth. The alien ships contact with Earth, literally, somewhere in the ocean near Hawaii. But are the visitors friendly?...

Sure, this storyline has been seen before in other movies. Worn thin? Well, not particularly, because it make for good entertainment, despite having been used countless times already.

As for the acting in the movie, well I think that people did good jobs with their given roles and I was most impressed with Taylor Kitsch (playing Alex Hopper), he was the one doing the most outstanding job. And it was a shame that Liam Neeson (playing admiral Shane) only had a supporting role, would have liked to see him more in the movie. And as for Rihanna (playing Cora Reikes), well personally I didn't recognize that it was her as I don't listen to her music and much less watch her videos, but I did remember her face, just couldn't place where I had seen it. I will say that despite her music being what it is, then her performance in "Battleship" was actually alright, nothing memorable, but alright.

Then comes the CGI effects. WOW! That was just beyond amazing. Everything looked so realistic and awesome. Lots of great details in everything, and the ship design for the alien spacecrafts was quite good, though I didn't fully understand the leaping abound on water, why not just hover, float or fly? And their weapons were quite good as well, though instead of exploding, it would have been cool if they caused implosions. Perhaps most impressive, to me at least, was the design of the body armor that the visitor were using. I loved those, and it was like something straight out of the "Unreal Tournament" games. They looked cool and awesome and also had lots of nice details. And as for the aliens themselves, well you don't get to see all that much of them, but they were also nicely made, man-like yet alien in a way.

There was a good amount of destruction in the movie, a lot of naval ships getting blown up and sinking, and that was looking quite good. But what really had be worked up was the destruction scene in Hong Kong. Oh wow, that looked awesome, just a shame it was so short and centered to mostly a single building. But wow, that looked so great that I actually had to watch it twice.

The downside of "Battleship" is that it is so amazingly predictable, even before you put the disc into the player you know exactly how this movie will end. And also it was just a little tad too much pro-American with the way they turned a naval museum, the Missouri battleship, into a fully functioning vessel and with the help of retired naval veterans managed to best the visitors. Sure it was entertaining, but come on, it was just a tad red, white and blue.

If you like Sci-Fi movies, then you definitely should check out "Battleship", if for nothing else, then for the CGI effects alone, it will blow you out of the water. I was thoroughly entertained by this movie from start till end.