IMDb > Battleship (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Battleship

Battleship More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 77: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Comedy of the year

Author: Christian Heynk from Germany
15 April 2012

I went to see this movie at a late night screening on Saturday with a buddy. Unfortunately, the movie was being shown in a theater with comfortable lounge seats, so we had to pay extra. We both more or less knew what we were in for: A Transformers spin-off with great looking but mediocre actors, plot holes in abundance and the usual cheesy and temporarily corny American patriotism. But we thought: What the heck, if the action is spectacular, we might be able to forget about all that.

Ten minutes into the movie, we realized that we wouldn't. Taylor Kitsch playing Alex Hopper is so over the top the protagonist that has character flaws at the beginning and turns out to be the good, noble soldier at the end, that it hurts. The whole movie smells of NAVY propaganda from the start, with the proud but honestly strange looking veterans, the blatant display of battleships, clean white uniforms and blonde babes that fall for all that.

When the Taylor Kitsch character turns from former felon to highly respected naval officer, we knew we had to do something. In tacit agreement, we changed our perspective and started to think of this movie as a comedy and not an action movie. And, quite frankly, that did the trick for us.

We laughed, chuckled, giggled and kept rolling our eyes for the rest of the film. We laughed at the fact that technologically developed aliens could be annihilated by simply dazzling them with sunlight (if only they had worn better shades, strange that RAY BAN missed out on such a great product placement opportunity). We laughed when we saw Peter MacNicol (as Secretary of Defense) asking stupid questions about the nature of the attack so that the dumb viewers get what 's going on. We chuckled when we learned that the USS Missouri, a museum battleship, is still equipped with all its explosive weaponry. We giggled when the veterans came out of nowhere to go on their last mission (as if they had been living and waiting on the USS Missouri for 50 years) and we had to roll our eyes when Liam Neeson, whom I admired in Schindler's List and found great in Taken, lowered himself by acting out some dreadful scenes in a horribly flaccid film.

We left the movie theater laughing and waited to see if the movie goers who had obviously liked the film went to the cloakroom to pick up not only their jackets but their brains, too.

Bottom line: If you want to enjoy this movie, think of it as a comedy.

Escapism At Its Best

Author: nebk
31 July 2013

Usually I would run away rather than watch a blockbuster such as Battleships. Most of the time those that are supposedly based on historic events are completely distorted (e.g. Pearl Harbor and King Arthur) and those that are not are just plain bad (Indiana Jones 4 and Transformers amongst others). In my opinion Battleship is somewhat of an exception. I really expected this movie to be full of implausibility and cliché upon cliché. And in a way it was, but it was still enjoyable and entertaining.

Whilst most other reviews seem to be very negative concerning the story in this movie, we need to face the fact that this movie is based on a game. So if you don't expect an award winning screenplay you might enjoy this rather clichéd movie. The effects are great and the acting is decent given the formulaic plot (Humans send signal into space; Aliens invade; Aliens seem to be winning; Aliens get beaten by a ragtag group of misfits) Some people seem to have a problem with leap forging alien ships and the fact that they destroy certain targets but not others. As for reviews that state that the movie doesn't make sense because of this, all I can say is if they destroyed everything that they should then we wouldn't have a movie to watch. And it becomes plain in the movie that the aliens destroy what they perceive to be a threat to them. Someone wrote that the aliens destroy a freeway and grounded choppers and that this makes no sense, but wouldn't it make sense to destroy the perceived enemies armaments and lanes of transport? I also have to admit that I liked the fact that the aliens in the movie are portrayed as bipeds that are physiologically very similar to human beings.

I agree that there are a lot of problems in the story like poorly armed alien troops, the fact that the alien commander gets sniped, or that the invaders (rather conveniently) forget to blow up the battleship manned by retired veteran troops. But then again if you were a head of the invading alien army would you really bother with an out-dated battleship manned by retired sailors? So, whilst I generally agree that there are problems with the story, I still think that this movie is very entertaining especially if one wants to relax for 2+ hours and not have to ponder all the intricacies of the plot. So I agree with one of the other reviewers who called this movie a guilty pleasure. Normally I would run from this kind of movie but I found myself enjoying it. Maybe I was just in the right frame of mind to watch a movie that I didn't have to think about and analyze. Pure escapism.

What is wrong with people ? A movie that delivers on what it promises . .

Author: Drumpot from Ireland
13 October 2012

I went into the theatre expecting very little and found the movie altogether very enter entertaining. I can enjoy all kinds of movies and generally these kind of popcorn flicks let me down, but I honestly think this has been harshly judged.

I don't understand some people or their reviews, I genuinely think they don't have realistic expectations going into some movies. This is not a masterpiece like the godfather but is a 9 out of 10 on the guilty pleasure list. Its not short on action and is comparable to transformers, if not more focused on the action as opposed to the annoying teen love story.

If you expected shawshank redemption, pulp fiction or something with substance, you deserved to have your money taken and deserve to be disappointed. I am not American, but could still enjoy the usual over the top "Go U.S.A." save the world storyline because its a simple action flick. This did exactly what it said on the tin and for me was a superbly enjoyable action flick.

Plastic board game gone boom... with the addition of a few aliens.

Author: richy1024 from United Kingdom
27 September 2012

As soon as the trailers for this film were released it wasn't too long before audiences began to recollect the days of coordinates and plastic ships. Placing a white tag for a miss and a red for a direct hit on your battleship. The producers of the Transformers trilogy have rewarded board game lovers with a visually stunning version, and I doubt the toy house package never comprised of combat alien spacecrafts capable of pulling its weight on the water better than your battleships themselves? Communication and world dominance seem to be the recurring drive behind alien invasion and we rely heavily on the lethargic combatant to serve his country proud and save the world, whilst charming the ladies or attempting to impress the majority, including his dedicated brother and his girlfriend's father who ironically so happens to be chief commander of this operation. The story certainly places us in a world of sophistication and glamour. These aliens are big, bold and meaningful, but one cannot ignore the suffering it undergoes due to Hollywood's incapacity to tell a first-rate tale whilst being accompanied by the impressive images. Study the latest Transformers film (Dark of the Moon) and you'll understand this problematic concept. Liam Neeson is always convincing and it was always going to be appealing to see how pop sensation Rihanna would adapt to movie life. To her credit she performs rather emphatically considering the disappointment of most singers on the big screen.

Although the film reminds us of the basic but dazzling board game and it temptingly worth the watch, regrettably it fails to live up to the intensity of eyeing up your adversary on the other side of the board, anticipating their every move without the advancement of radar innovation and pretty faced marines.

I was so not looking forward to this.

Author: c-conley90 from United States
19 September 2012

This movie looked like a Transformers rip-off that wasn't very interesting and even worse was based off of Battleship. You know Battleship the board game, you played with red and white pegs in a board. Well, I watched it and for the first part, yeah the characters were OK, but then the aliens came and the movie suddenly picked up. And these are some weird aliens, they look like they come from planet who-ville with their little beards underneath their helmets. Kitsch makes for a great action hero when the moment comes for him to step up to the plate. Liam Neeson has a good walk on role as the father of his girlfriend he's trying to get him to let him marry. Rhianna, is OK, and so is some of the side characters, some of it can be accepted due to some of them not being actual actors for instance the legless soldier who was an actual soldier. Now, is it better than anything in the Transformers series, well, if you liked the Transformers series despite their flaws, you'd probably like this one just as well. The people who hate this will probably associate it with Transformers and Michael Bay. Because you know always,to some people Michael Bay is the source of evil in cinema and is the antichrist or the devil. Trust me they've had it out for the man since Armageddon. But that's a moot point because Bay has nothing to do with this movie, he didn't even produce it, neither did Steven Spielberg. Now, Steve Jablonsky who did the score does a somewhat similar score here. Though, I admit I like the AC/DC better than the Linkin Park. And yes, some people balked at the usage of Fortunate Son at the end of the movie, since it's technically a anti-war song. But nitpickers will be nitpickers. I enjoyed it, was it better than the Avengers, no. But, don't understand why it couldn't have made more than 65 million at the box office. I liked it despite knowing how much yes, it rips-off a lot, predator, Independence Day, Transformers.

Great special effects - Bad storyline

Author: Rskou from Denmark
10 September 2012

To help him correct his life, Commander Stone Hopper (Skarsgård) drafts his little brother Alex Hopper (Kitsch) to the Navy. Soon after they find themselves on the deck of a battleship defending themselves, their crew, their ship and the faith of mankind against an invading alien foe.

The storyline of the film is as to be expected. Like in Independence Day (1996) we find ourselves in an seemingly impossible fight vs. an superior adversary and only the cunning of a few men and women can alter the faith of mankind.

The special effects in the film are somewhat the best I've ever seen and make it a wonderful experience, but the rather thin storyline disappoints me.

But still, do I want to see the film again? I have to say 'Yes'. This is a great "cure-my-Sunday-morning-hangovers-film". You can sleep through most of the film and still not miss out on anything.

7/10 – On account of the great special effects.

More like Battlesh*t. This movie sunk.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
19 April 2015

I can't stand this film. Very loosely based off, the guessing game, Battleship from Milton Bradley. Battleship, the movie takes the concept of the game, where players smartly against each other in a classic contest that pits mind against mind, requiring logic, intuition and carefully considered strategy and turns into a dumb rip-off of a Michael Bay's explosion style film. Honestly, the movie would have work better, if the movie was just about the RIMPAC event that the writers put into the film. The Rim of the Pacific War-Exercise make sense, because it puts international ships against each other, in war games simulations. Unfortunately, director Peter Berg thinks the best way for him, to get viewers was to make it, into another generic Alien invasion movie. This isn't the way to make a movie based off a board game, at all. The alien concept has nothing to do with the source material. I really had high hopes for this film. After all, previous board games movies like 1985's Clue & 1995's Jumanji weren't so bad. Instead, the movie focus on really bad characters to carry out, this ill-advised plot. The convoluted story revolves around Alex Hopper (Taylor Kitsch), a reckless and irresponsible young man whose wild ways consistently disappoint his brother Stone, (Alexander Skarsgård), a respected commander in the U.S. Navy. To avoid prison, for a burrito-stealing related felony, Alex joins the Navy, in hope to turn his life around, impress a girl, Sam (Brooklyn Decker) and his superior, Admiral Shane (Liam Neeson). If this sounds, very familiar, it's basically a badly written first half- version of 2009's Star Trek, taking place on earth. I have nothing against Taylor Kitsch's acting chops, but his character is just annoying and too unlikeable. The whole burrito stealing scene is just thoughtless. I really didn't get it. Was the movie trying really hard to parody, truTV Presents: World's Dumbest Criminals!? I really doubt, that Alex would became a Lt. in the Navy in four years with a criminal record like his. Everything, that Alex was saying, was just too arrogant. Don't get me wrong, I love cocky characters, but there wasn't anything smart with his character being the hero. He's so utterly imbecilic that his character is more like an insult to all the brave Navy men out there, serving our nation. Another insulting character is Petty Officer, Cora 'Weps' Rikes played by singer, Rihanna. Don't get me wrong, Rihanna is a great singer, but I really couldn't get behind, Rihanna's film debut as a hard-as-nails weapons specialist. The reasons why is because how jarring, it was, for me to see her, portray a strong independent badass woman, when in real-life, she's not even close. Not only would she would allow men to beat her up, senseless in real life, but she end up return back to that abusive person, after this film. Rihanna's character also had some really terrible dialogue. Mahalo, motherf*** was a horrible one-liner. The way, it got censor for the PG-13 rating, makes it, even more ear-bleeding. At the same time, I'm really disappointed, by how lackluster, Liam Neeson's role in the film. He's perfect as a Navy Officer, and somebody that the Navy would be prove to have, represented them. Yet the filmmakers doesn't give his character anything badass to do in this film. He's just there to be the angry father character. His daughter, Sam played by swimsuit model, Brooklyn Decker has more to do in this movie, than him. Still, I couldn't really didn't care much of the sub-story of her and the injury Army serviceman, Lieutenant Colonel Mick Canales played by real-life Army veteran, Gregory D. Gadson, going up on the mountain to take out the alien's communication towers. I didn't find it, inspiring. I love, that the movie use real-life veterans, and active-service people as cast extras, but I just wish, they were given, better roles. Sure, the human characters are paper-thin, but I found the aliens to be the worse off. The aliens have the power to create a force-field that's two nautical miles wide and rises more than 300,000 feet in the air to encircle the Navy, but they can't protect their own ships with it against the Navy, nor could have protect their communication spaceship from a harmless satellite. Wow- these aliens are lame and not combat functionality. Not only that, but their weakness is the sunlight. Oh come on! Are they goths? They come from a planet, very similar to ours. The action is disappointing and surprisingly dull. Lots of over-used CGI effects, fake looking flare shots, and quick cuts, make this film not good. For a movie call 'Battleships', technically, there is only one Battleship, use in this film, and that's the USS Missouri. The others, were, technically, 'Destroyers'. I really didn't mind, the USS Missouri, got used, but I really doubt, it will be combat-action. It went to the bounds of unrealistic, right there. The film is such po-faced stoicism and flag-waving jingoism silly, that it impossible to emotionally connect with this film, beyond, laughing at how dumb, it is. The post-credit scene makes it, seem like a sequel will come out, but I really doubt it, due to how badly this movie, score in the box office. It did so bad that Hasbro, the toy company that fund it, nearly went out of business. Overall: the film feels half-baked and barely developed, making for a frustrating film that fails to ever fully engage, and ultimately lacks the brilliant simplicity of the game on which it was based. It's not good. Don't recommended.

Hidiously bad...

Author: dcobbimdb
23 December 2013

How Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgård ever let themselves be dragged down with this waste of film real I'll never know. That said they are little more than extras in this movie, both in it for a meager 15 minutes at most. It's astonishing really. It's not that often that you see a movie with a decent budget blow chunks so high but this one did it. Funny enough I knew ahead of time, I read the pour reviews, stayed away and finally watched it when it was free and I had nothing else better to do (or so I thought), and still I feel cheated...

What's really sad is I knew 5 minutes into it, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 40 minutes, heck the whole time I knew I was watching a crappy movie that dare I say I probably could have done a better job directing, and or acting in for that matter. It's really an awful feeling to be watching a movie and usually where there's that slightest bit of hopeful feeling that things will get better, but in this movie I had none of that and merely watched it to it's end as if to watch a ship sink into the ocean.

I'm never this negative about movies far as reviews go but I have to say this movie flunked on all levels, boring story, bad directing, bad action, bad acting. The special effects weren't bad but that doesn't score you any points these days unless it's something marvel, which this was not. I mean at one point we're actually playing "battleship" like the age old game, as if just because the sun went down we cannot detect the aliens ships and just because they are "sun challenged" they despite being able to travel faster than the speed of light across millions of light miles to get here can't seem to pick our ships out of water at night without line of sight? Oh and when the sun comes up it actually blinds them? I mean really??? And we as a semi intelligent audience are actually supposed to buy all this? I literally wasted two hours of my life, plus more to write this review which I hope will save someone some time.

Loads of fun!!!

Author: barendbkj
3 August 2013

I don't know why the bad reviews, this movie was awesome. The setting was perfect, the actors were great and the plot was spot-on. Don't go and watch this movie if your expecting a thing like Star Trek. This is much more easy to follow and to enjoy.

I saw now fault in any of the scenes and to me it was just a fun movie to watch, it has no reason too call for you to focus, so if you want to relax, the Battleship is the way too go.

Everything was great, the aliens, the action, the music, and the actors. Rihanna was surprisingly good, and the rest of the cast was a power-house!!

BATTLESHIP ROCKS!!!!!!

9.5/10 You people are crazy this movie was the 2nd best action packed movie I've ever seen next to transformers Dark of the Moon

Author: Christopher-lakits from United States
19 November 2012

I just don't understand how so many people hated this movie. Me, my wife, my dad, my brothers and father in law all thought it was great. The story was not the greatest but still it was good, the alien ships were awesome the special effects were amazing, the cast was great especially considering only one was actually a famous actor and Rhianna did great for her first time acting in a blockbuster movie. It's so good I will be buying it on blu-ray. It was great how they couldn't use radar and used the tsunami bouies and made it look like the battleship board game. The end was awesome what they did with the USS Missouri perfection. I'd give it a ten but it wasn't quit as good as transformers so I gave it a 9 wish there was a 9.5 option.