IMDb > "Human Target" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Human Target"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Human Target" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Most enjoyable Movie-like Show on TV

Author: redcatbmw
29 December 2010

Every episode of Human Target is like a fun-filled mini-action flick. The acting is excellent with Mark Valley playing the redemption seeking Christopher Chance, Chi McBride playing the responsible manager and friend of Chance and Jackie Earle Haley playing the "immoral good guy", Guerrero who is extremely resourceful.

The first season was very entertaining and the second one continues the trend with the introduction of two new characters who have added a new dimension to the show.

The show is full of great action sequences interspersed with comedy and generally good plots.

I wish more TV shows were based On Comic Books like Human Target. The show can be enjoyed by both kids and adults as it is pure, unadulterated fun.

"my name is christopher chance"

Author: edwbur from United States
27 December 2010

i had pretty good hopes to this show. i expected a show that would be OK but a one season runner. boy was i wrong. i got way more than what i was expecting. this show is amazing. in this show they have great mysterious characters. and you keep watching this show not just for the action and entertainment, but the answers to the questions you have. you have 3 characters (chance the bodyguard), (Winston the business man), and (Guerrero the best of them all). the most interesting character of the show is Guerrero. Guerrero is a loyal friend to both Winston and chance, and working with them to help chance and Winston any way he can. but you don't really know what side he is on. because he says he does side jobs for other clients. you don't find out if there good or bad. also he has different methods to getting the job done. like not being afraid to kill unlike chance and Winston. chance kills but that would be hi last resort basically. there was this one episode where Guerrero was working for another client and they black mailed Guerrero to get dirt on Winston and chance. when he found out he went back to the client and wanted to know who they are working for. he didn't tell him and as he walked to his car Guerrero shot him in the back and head and killed him. that shows he is trying to protect chance from his horrible past ( you'll find out his past in the last episode of season 1) and protecting Winston from getting in the middle. watch this show season 2 is going on now and season 1 is out on DVD.

Great TV Series

Author: Jo-adams59 from United States
4 May 2014

Loved the TV show. Wish they did not cancel. It is action packed. Mark Valley and all the other characters are great. You can buy season 1, but season 2 is not available. Season 2 is outstanding with the introduction of Indira's character. Season 3 gets even better. Do not understand why this TV show was canceled. But making it available on DVD provides the fans the ability to purchase and watch. Season 1 was available for purchase. But seasons 2 and 3 are not available. Do not understand why other seasons are not available. Fans Would buy season 2 and 3 in a heartbeat. They are missing on sales if they do not provide seasons 2 and 3.

Amazing show! A MUST SEE!

Author: John Green from Phoenix
13 September 2011

This is one of the best shows Fox has put on the air in a long time! I would love to see this show for years to come, but unfortunately I understand FOX axed it. Very unfortunate, since this show is interesting, entertaining, and great fun for everyone! Mark Valley truly fills the role of Christopher Chance in every way. Kind of an American James Bond. Also seeing Lee Majors in the series was icing on the cake as his part reveals part of the legacy of Chance. If the show is truly gone, I think the networks made a HUGE mistake! Anyone I know that has seen this show thoroughly enjoys it! I would hope the networks will see how great this show really is and perhaps it will appear on one other than FOX.

It is exactly what it is !!!

Author: ian_smith73-7-475431 from United States
21 March 2011

No doubt you will get all the pompous clowns on here reviewing this title and pointing out all thats wrong with it..Well my advice would be not to listen to them. This show doesn't proclaim to be anything its not ! This show is a bloody good action / adventure show and its the best of its genre. Think James Bond, Think Die Hard and roll it into a weekly episode and that is exactly what you have here. The show is well written and well casted and every episode is a joy to watch. You get exactly what you expect from this show , Fun, action, excitement and adventure. The casting is superb and the story lines are varied enough to keep one watching , I doubt it has many seasons /if any ahead of it, But for what it is its griping and exciting.

I say thee, shenanigans.

Author: alanrayford from Detroit, Michigan
14 February 2011

"Human Target" (HT) is damned good television. When an episode is lacking, it still manages to be an above average action romp with slight comedic elements. But when it's working, the show isn't like anything else on television. In all honesty, it's more like a big budget, action film on the tube. Yet, this isn't getting good ratings, which puzzles me. But before I cover this, I just want to acknowledge what makes HT so great.

The first season worked primarily due to charisma and interaction of the three leads. All of the primary actors nailed their roles. Christopher Chance (Mark Valley) is the headliner with a shady past. A pretty boy/face breaker, he's an expert on keeping people alive due to him formerly being an expert on taking people out of the equation. Guerrero (Jackie Earle Haley) is a walking oxymoron. He looks like a nerd, but has a real mean streak and the skills to back it up. Winston (Chi McBride) is more or less the straight man. Large and in charge, he's the rational one who points out just how ludicrous some of the circumstances they find themselves in are. Season two saw the addition of Ames and Ilsa Pucci. Ames (Janet Montgomery) is a thief and serves as the rookie of the team. Even though she's just starting out, she has enough moments to let you see she can pull her weight. Ilsa Pucci (Indira Varma) is the moneybags who enables all the fancy equipment and air travel. She's also an absolute stranger to the world she's entered and serves as a reason for most of the craziness to be explained for the audience.

The action is better than what's found in most summer movie fare. There are car chases. There are really cool shootouts. Blow-up-able objects have a tendency to fulfill their purpose. There was even a passenger jet flying upside down, all to put out an onboard fire. But hand to hand is the soup du jour, and HT delivers with bone-crunching satisfaction. All I can say is Valley really knows how to sell a punch. He also really knows how to sell a kick, an elbow, a knee, a headbutt and any combination/variation of the basics.

The writing on HT makes each episode into a fully developed story and not just a juxtaposition of loosely related scenes. Characterization is tight, consistent and never betrayed for the sake of the plot. The threats are almost always interesting and well balanced against the good guys. The structure of an episode can't be taken for granted. Sometimes an episode starts well into the storyline, and we have to catch up via flashbacks—as in season one's "Baptiste". Other times an episode is more chronological in nature, but throws a seriously wicked curveball—just like in season two's "Kill Bob". Through it all is a very wicked and subversive humor that permeates every line of dialogue and every punch thrown. For the most laughs, however, you can never go wrong with Winston and Guerrero. The two are extraordinarily mismatched. This leads to any number of insults, threats and snide remarks that feel like two stand-up comedians sniping away at each other.

Yet, despite all of this, HT doesn't get the ratings. And, this is what puzzles me. I hear the most coveted demographic for advertising dollars are adult males, age 18-34. Yet, this show, which is tailor made for us, is struggling? I was talking to someone about this, and she brought up a valid point.

In the box office, the proof is in ticket sales. This is why the biggest blockbusters of a year are always action oriented. Check out the haul of 2008's "Dark Knight" vs. "Mamma Mia". Bruce Wayne stomped Abba's arse. But on television, success isn't determined by cold, hard cash. It's determined by ratings.

Isn't it odd that in the theaters, properties like "The Bourne Identity", "Spiderman", "RED" and "Inception" rule the roost? Yet, on TV, shows like "Human Target", "Detroit 187", and "Chase" struggle, while "Glee", "The Good Wife", and "Grey's Anatomy" rock out. So the same people who pay to see movies, don't watch television? It seems rather incongruous.

Maybe the television execs are wrong about the strength of their preferred demo. Maybe we don't watch TV, even though the Superbowl is the biggest programming event of the year. It's entirely possible guys really could be immersing themselves in overly dramatic, masculinity challenged narratives. Who the hell am I to judge? On the other hand, there could be another reason for the discrepancy between the big and small screen.

You can't give the over 100 million dollars generated by the "Dark Knight" to "Mamma Mia" or "Sex & the City". A ticket sale is a cash medium that involves thousands of people. However, in this digital age you could probably skew TV ratings like no one's business. Like all data, it can be interpreted, misinterpreted or even faked any which way but lose. Anyone who's taken basic statistics knows this.

Does anyone know of any males, age 18-34, that regularly watch "Glee", what with the singing and dancing? If not, then how could it be a success without us? So is it then possible the failing of action driven shows like HT and the success of menial fare like "Glee" could be due, in no small part, to fraud in both how the ratings are collected and construed.

I'm really pulling for "Human Target" to be renewed. It's one of those rare shows that actually delivers in a way standard TV generally doesn't. It's always a blast checking in on Chance and company, and a third season can deliver the success this property deserves. However, if this second season is the last one, it's been a swell ride and I've said my piece.

Great show! **A few potential spoilers.**

Author: prtfvr from York, PA
8 January 2011

I didn't think that I'd like the addition of two new characters although it makes sense because it might have been too male-centric. I was hopeful however when I saw that one of the new cast members was Indira Varma. She was terrific when she was a constable on Bones. She was tougher then though and she's a little wishy washy here. I'm hoping she toughens up.

As far as Ames goes. I was prepared to dislike her however, once they set up that she wasn't a love interest for Guerro and in fact made a point of noting the difference between their ages (ok, pops) then I could sit back and enjoy her. She adds a nice touch of light hearted comedy to the show.

The action is still fantastic. And even though I've read a lot of negative reviews about the episode with the "amazing assassin" I loved the over the top action that happened. Jumping between the garage floors, landing gracefully. They didn't cheapen it with horrible special effects and it was fun.

How many shows are there where the hero is always just chasing the bad guy? Or is able to put the cuffs on someone after a cursory scuffle? These fights are well choreographed, particularly the last episode and it's like watching a mini action movie every week.

Love that there's more Guerrero now. I'm glad that Jackie Earl Haley is back on the scene. He has so much presence, even when he was a little kid in Bad News Bears but he really left an impression. Good to see him featured more. And I like that he's a take no prisoners, do whatever it takes to get the bad guy, character because I'm so sick of everyone doing "the right thing" all the time. He's unrepentant and maybe not someone you'd want to hang around with but you know he'd always have your back. And thank god someone finally asked him why his last name was Guerrero but he didn't seem Spanish! Chi McBride. He's terrific as the world weary boss who complains about everything but will jump in and assist in the missions even though he might protest all the way. I also like that they make sure that the audience is aware that Winston is a bit over weight and running full tilt isn't his best asset.

Mark Valley! Perfectly cast. Found him on Keen Eddie, really enjoyed him (briefly) on Fringe. He's mature but not too old for the action scenes. They don't give away his demons even though he had a chance to during the end of the Christmas show. I like that we're slowly being doled out the story of how he became what he was. I was a little disappointed that one episode that showed in his past that he had killed a seemingly innocent man who turned out to be a bad guy because that takes away from what he's working on: redemption.

I hope that the ratings get better or that they at least give the show another year to gel. And, yeah, Ames shouldn't have taken that kid to the party but she's not a professional and she's young. I can see her thinking there wouldn't be a problem.

That is after all why she was given him as an assignment: seemingly low risk. If they'd made her this amazingly perfect spy right away, well...she needs to learn and she's very reckless. I think that what happened fit perfectly in with her inexperienced character. She's a pick pocket without any idea what she's gotten herself into. You can say that the other characters should have known that and acted accordingly but people make mistakes. Things don't always go according to plan.

Here's the main problem: Fox doesn't promote the show enough. Not really. I have friends who haven't even heard of it. They might consider advertising the show on other channels, like Spike, where they'd surely pick up an audience.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I like this show. Look forward to it every week. The action, the fight scenes, the characters, the writing. They're just a little different from what's out there right now.

Give it a chance. They're only in their sophomore year and last year wasn't even a full season.

prtfvr

Writer Steinberg takes this one up a notch

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
17 February 2014

While you may never expect to see beefcake Mark Valley (playing "Chance" in this series) accepting an Oscar, he is perfectly cast for the role of the sassy and wisecracking hero of this short lived but entertaining actioner. Another reviewer compared his character to 007s younger brother. Not so much. But go for Bruce Willis' younger brother and we could have a deal. The casting is universally strong but I confess it was a delight to see Jackie Earle Haley back in harness. His work in Watchmen was stellar and he deserves more screen time. The deal closer is writer Jonathan Steinberg who does not merely "try" to take the dialog up a notch (as is the case with many series today, including current ones) but actually succeeds.

Good show ruined by the network

Author: Alpha_PL from Bardo, Poland
12 February 2011

Human Target was a good show. It had, and for the most part still has, a good cast. Chance perfectly plays a laid-back hero-for hire, same for McBride who plays Winston, Chance's voice of reason, and Haley, the wild card of the group. Each episode of season 1 was like a mini James Bond movie. Everything was pretty predictable, but the clever writing, great acting of both main players and guest stars and extremely bad-ass stunts and action sequences made it and enjoyable TV show to watch.

Then season 2 came around and everything collapsed like a house of cards. FOX was not satisfied with the ratings and the fact that the male oriented cast didn't appeal to women, so they had the show retooled. The two new additions to the cast were horrendous, both characters served as nothing more than road blocks in the story lines, one in a typical TV show fashion was always screwing up the assignments and the other (the boss of the whole Human Target detective agency) was always complaining about how Chance does his business. Not to mention that the love-interest storyline for the nagging boss and Chance was completely unnecessary for the show. The biggest blow for me was the fact that the awesome cliffhanger from the season 1 finale was wrapped up in about five second and completely forgotten for the remainder of the season 2. The fact that there were maybe three episodes in season 2 that weren't completely cliché-ridden and badly written didn't help either.

As I'm writing this review FOX hasn't yet announced if 'Human Target' returns for the third season or not, but if the show remains in Matt Miller's hands, I say put it out of it's misery.

One of the best series on the air

Author: mommabearvicky51 from United States
14 January 2011

This is one of the best series of 2010. The story lines are great, lots of action, use of up-to-date technology, and a fantastic cast puts it on my personal top ten list. I loved Chi McBride in Boston Public and Pushing Daisies, along with many other appearances. Jackie Earle Haley, who appeared in both Watchmen and Nightmare on Elm Street 2010, among numerous other show and movies, is another fine actor who I've always enjoyed watching. Mark Valley, has appeared on another one of my top ten favorites, Fringe, along with Anna Torv. His good looks, physical appearance, voice, and those thoughtful eyes makes him easy to look at and trust. By-the-way, it was sad to hear that Valley and Torv were among celebrity couples who parted ways during 2010.

The casting of Indira Varma (Kuma Sutra, Bride & Prejudice), to the series has really spiced up the show, and although, I've only seen her on Bones, another top ten), I am looking forward to watching her work on Kuma Sutra and Bride.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]