IMDb > "Human Target" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Human Target"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Human Target" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

007's Much Cooler Brother

Author: billseper from United States
18 January 2010

Honestly, I had no idea this was coming and know very little about the show's star, Mark Valley. While I'm a little old to care about TV shows that fit the "action" genre, I have to admit this was quite a thrill ride and a fun one at that.

Valley stars as Christopher Chance, a sort of private eye with a penchant for taking chances (living up to his name). Actually, if there's one thing this pilot lacked it was background info. I'm assuming we'll be filled in a little at a time as the show progresses throughout the season. For now, we'll have to be content to know very little and discern the rest about Chance's firm.

There's a wise cracking, tough guy element to Chris Chance, but not in an adolescent way. It's more of a "I'm smarter than you, but I won't hold it against ya", approach not unlike the role Robert Conrad played in The Wild Wild West. In fact Valley reminds me very much of Conrad. Neither are terribly big guys, but their tougher than nails attitude combined with real life experience (Conrad was an able boxer, and Valley was a West Point grad with martial arts training) allows them to play these kinds of roles with great aplomb and relative ease. It takes a man with a certain swagger in his step to capture the attention of viewers in an action show, and Valley has it in spades.

Despite the show's uninventive title, it has the kind of punch that combines the wit and wisdom of The Wild Wild West with action writing comparable to Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne novels. Throw in a bit of 007 and a couple of Macgyver moments (ala the rigged parachute scene) and you've got at least a small bit of what this show has to offer. I haven't been this excited about an action show since Tales of the Gold Monkey. Let's hope it doesn't suffer the same fate.

Catch a great action flick every week - this is not your average TV show

Author: Cinemik from United States
3 February 2010

Human Target is a creative action adventure with quick wit and intelligence. Whether you're into the hard-hitting, fast pace of a big screen action flick, the complex intrigue of a spy novel, or the kind of wry humor that makes you feel like you're sharing an inside joke, this show is for you.

Each episode is an action-packed adventure capable of standing on it's own, out of sequence and separate from the others. Yet, there are deeper layers to be explored, with hints of sub-plots intertwining though each installment, piquing your curiosity and leaving you wanting more.

Human Target is one of the best new shows in years. It even raises the bar with a great opening sequence created in a more cinematic style, invoking images of Bond, Bourne, and others like them.

Spread the word. Don't let this one get away.

My action fix

Author: Anionic Surfactant from Iceland
5 March 2010

I get the sense this show is made by smart people. It's not an intellectual show but it doesn't insult my intelligence like so many action movies. It is as advertised and as expected and as is made clear from the first ten seconds of every episode. The last one I watched had Mark Valley diving through the air within the first ten seconds of the show.

This show certainly doesn't leave me thinking about it afterwards. I watch it, it makes me feel good and I go do something else. It has a certain cheeseless charm. I feel when I start watching the show gives me a promise of giving me some good action, a little bit of information on the protagonist's past, some fun interaction between the three main characters and a few new characters. This never feels forced, it's the nature of the show. When I watch a Michael Bay movie I expect some romance, a kissing scene, some sexy scantily clad ladies, some car chase scenes and a lot of explosions but he's putting it in there because he feels like it. We expect it but we expect it because we know he's gonna force it in there regardless of the story.

I remember how people used to talk about every episode of The West Wing being like a small movie. The Human Target is the same but in the action genre. They came up with a good formula for a show, they had a great concept, they hired likable and talented stars, the direction is straightforward, the production values are extraordinarily high. Why even mention the flaws? A show is supposed to make you feel a certain way and give you a certain something. The Human Target delivers.

I imagine The Human Target's episode formula is gonna start to bore me eventually but I have trust in the people running this thing for some reason. I get a strong feeling watching it that the people in charge of this know what they're doing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Watchable.

Author: sagei
27 January 2010

Not something you can say about most things on TV. Valley, mcbride and haley get along well together. Can't believe the idiot they had valley playing in boston legal.

He's cool yet tough. Smart but soft spoken. None of that abrasively obvious tough guy crap. Am fed up of "gritty". This guy is good natured and doesn't even abuse his enemies, just eliminates them when necessary. He's smoother than bourne but not as oily as bond.

In short he feels real despite the larger than life antics which are on par with the aforementioned two. The cgi is OK, action is good. The stories are coherent. Credibility is stretched with the manner in which he accepts payment but it's forgivable.

3 episodes in still find it worth watching. Do worry about it's longevity because the action could get old really quickly. Still, wish valley and this show the best.

Excellent "Bodyguard with a mysterious past" Series

Author: Swapnil Kumar (raju2k84@gmail.com) from India
9 February 2010

this is a truly excellent show. although a single episode appearance on fringe, mark valley leaves a strong impression here with his witty, strong, intelligent, suave , and, for a change, a non-horny American spy-cum-bodyguard. each episode takes a lethal premise, and spins a charming spell on it, where action and humor go hand in hand. chi McBride and watchmen's Rorschach share a hilarious laurel-hardy relation, and u cant help but smile wen McBride has to accompany valley in the "field"... i just love this show... each episode has an attractive woman which doesn't gets screwed by our hero, and for American shows, that's truly a rarity. i've read it's based on a comic, and i hope it gets a wee bit darker... 2 thumbs up...

action, heart and sentimental

Author: idleprimate from Canada
15 April 2010

this show is a distilled Indiana Jones kind of adventure, except where indie has a dark past. I've been watching all season, and from the first, it was fun and easy to watch--light fluff that does the trick when you need down time. But as the season progressed and you got a better feel for the characters, you got drawn into the old school adventure romance of it--transient heroes for those in need. redemption of the irredeemable. the scalawags you root for. there is a very archetypal sense to our cavalier protagonists, and it hearkens back to the kind of heroes i remember growing up, who were themselves retrofits of 30's heroes. I think this was very intended, even down to the motifs in the scoring. It's interesting to reject the modern sense of antihero, by mythologizing people who should be antiheroes but are not--its a classic idea that never gets tired--the noble person born out of sin. or maybe its just manipulative pablum. hey, if you're gonna watch television. . .

The finale paid off too, I really hope this series gets renewed.

Silly, enjoyable fun.

Author: huwbutts from Great Britain
27 February 2010

After seeing terrific shows such as Life and The Unit cancelled, it's nice to find something to fill the void. Human Target does this effectively, creating a show that doesn't take itself too seriously - it's like watching a comic come to life.

Over-the-top fights, grin-inducing action sequences and the banter between Mark Valley et al (including some fantastic guest stars) will keep you smiling through the episodes' "villain of the week" plots. Hopefully the writers will make more of the arcs in the future, which would add a little depth to a show that's already hugely entertaining - which, if you're anything like me, is just what you need after coming home from work. Recommended.

Awesome Action Thriller

Author: from United States
7 January 2011

This review will be brief. Human Target is a show that has good acting and a good story line. It has enough action to be a movie, and that makes the show a keeper. I'm not sure what it takes to keep a show like this on the air, but it has been one of my favorite TV series ever. Christopher Chance, the main character, was a professional assassin, and is now a bodyguard for hire. The past of the team is used to easily write new episodes, and keeps the show from exhausting ideas for story lines. Like other reviews have said, Christopher Chance is a great mix between James Bond and Jason Bourne. This movie is not 100% action though. Human Target also has comedy and some romance intertwined.

Love it.

Author: goldberry49 from United States
19 April 2010

Love it!! And so does my husband. Mark Valley is very nice to watch. Chi is great. Very mysterious-we like that. I'm betting Kathryn is out there somewhere too. \ Can't wait until next season. I would like to seethe dog involved more. It is one of our favorite shows. We like the ways the story of each character is unfolding slowly. Winston should figure more prominently next season. I find the plots are fun. I agree that Human Target would be better suited to a later time slot. We hope it gets renewed for next season as it is one of our favorite shows. We watch things like V, Heroes, American Idol, Supernatural, Smallville, Lie to Me, Bones and many others.

Entertaining, very tongue-in-cheek. The way a show like this should be.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
13 February 2010

The creme of the crop is smooth with the taste of a big, juicy steak with zesty steak sauce with a side dish of curried rice and beans with a hot fudge sundae for desert. You get it all with this thrill ride of a show soaked in comic-book action/spy movie juice. An I making you hungry, or is this show your click? There's no wrong answer to either question; both are delicious. Past iterations have been there and all but this one keeps it in gear and offers something a little more if not a lot which will be revealed in later episodes. "Human Target" sets out to be what it is: Entertaining, tongue-in-cheek with action, romance and more.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]