IMDb > "Community" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Community"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Community" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One of my favourite series

Author: Gabriel Watling from England
19 September 2017

This series had me gripped and in stitches the whole time I was watching it. This was one series that I was actually upset that ended genuinely. This has been an all time favourite of mine. I actually watched the series again and again. The writers and actors must have had total freedom on set and studio as it looks so natural. As Tommy Wiseau said as a director: 'As a director, I have to feel realism from actors, and they can't be plastic' If the director sees realism from the actors then as an audience we will also see realism and believe that it is real, and that's just what Community does. I'm not surprised that it won a Primetime Emmy award as well as 16 other awards and had 66 nominations. It is an exceptional TV shows, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who says that there should've been more seasons made as well as possible reunion shows. Follow me on Instagram @gabewatling and follow me on Twitter @gmwatling. Send me your reviews and thoughts!!!

Most UNDER-rated show of all time!

Author: Leon Erbe from Germany
13 May 2014

I started watching this show in summer 2013, I believe. At that point I did not expect much as it seemed like any other sitcom at first, but I had soon turned out to be so much more.

Community has become my very favorite show. Hell, it even surpassed 'The Simpsons', 'My Name Is Earl', 'How I Met Your Mother', 'South Park', and so many other shows which were my favorite at some point. Now, I am not claiming this will forever remain my favorite, but it definitely will always be in my heart.

For whatever reason, though, this show seems to be getting much more hate than it deserves, which I simply cannot understand. Whatever though; that will not badmouth this show for me.

It gets surreal most of the time (especially in the seasons after the first one), Abed comes up with lots of movie/TV show references, and you get to see a 'family' grow more and more attached to each other.

A real bummer is, though, that Chevy Chase as well as Donald Glover left the cast - especially since Troy Barnes (Donald Glover) is my favorite character (Abed/Danny Pudi places second, though). Even worse: At the moment it looks like 'Community' will forever be cancelled, which saddens me a lot.

'Community' may not have the biggest fan-base, but it definitely has the most loyal one.

Love the references, not just another network TV comedy

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 May 2014

Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) is a lawyer with a degree from Columbia (the country) who is on the verge of being disbarred. He enrolls in Greendale Community College, and tries to get close to Britta Perry (Gillian Jacobs) by tutoring her on Spanish. The film obsessed weirdo Abed Nadir (Danny Pudi) mistakenly invites divorcée Shirley Bennett (Yvette Nicole Brown), former drugged up Annie Edison (Alison Brie), slightly dim former high school football star Troy Barnes (Donald Glover), and cranky old rich guy Pierce Hawthorne (Chevy Chase) to the study session. They form a study group and a new family of sorts in this ridiculous lower education center.

Show runner Dan Harmon has created one of the most unique network TV comedies around. It has the group friendship that is the bread and butter of network TV. It forms the backbone of the show. The comedy is very sarcastic and throws a lot of references around. Dan Harmon and his writers obviously love TV and movies. I love the group, but I'm in love with the comedic material. You don't have to be Abed to like this show, but it sure would help. The low viewership finally catches up after 5 seasons.

Greatest. Show. Ever.

Author: Rachy Benstead (Benstead29@gmail.com) from Australia
8 August 2013

This show is one the greatest shows that I have ever seen in my entire life. It has the most funniest sayings and I seriously don't know how someone could hate such a hilarious TV show. Abed Nadir and Troy Barnes are by far the greatest characters in this show and I love them both. I recommend this show to every single person because it can make even the most up-tight people laugh! Even though most of what Chevy Chase says is most usually racist and sexual, he is still pretty funny. Pretty please watch this show!! You will so not regret it!! But like, if you find Racist jokes extremely offensive then maybe this isn't quite the show for you but... To everyone else... Currently Seasons 1, 2, and 3 are out on DVD 08-08-13 Cheeeerioooo!! xoxo

Dan Harmon's Magnum Opus

Author: Heisenberg White
7 August 2016

Dan Harmon is one of the most creative and inspired writers working in Hollywood, yet he is also one of the most underrated. Despite being the show runner of two of the best shows of the 2010's, Community and Rick & Morty, he still feels as though he hasn't truly broken through like he should have, especially when you take into consideration that he writes twenty minute television episodes that are funnier and sharper then most movies that come out during any year. When broken down, the simple answer to why he's still so underrated, is that he is too weird and too innovative for Hollywood films. His talents are, in actual fact, best suited for television, and Community perfectly captures why.

Set in the fictional Greendale Community College, a diverse group of lovable weirdos come together to form a Spanish study group which gradually becomes like a second family to each of its members. This barely even scratches the surface of what Community is. Before season one is over, it develops into a self-referential and satirical take down of everything pop culture, through the use of meta-humour and dissecting film and television clichés and tropes. The following season felt as though it was injected with a new aura of energy, and episode after episode delivered quality comedy and storytelling. By the time it was over, season two had become one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen. Almost never skipping beat and every episode outdoing the one that came before, it was utterly marvelous to watch. This level of quality carried into the third season, but due to extensive budget cuts and behind-the-scenes issues, it felt a little more empty and soulless then it had previously.

Community's lowest point came in the package that was the fourth season. Dan Harmon was fired after the third season because of problems he was causing with NBC, and Chevy Chase, who was a one point the draw to the show, quit because he didn't like the direction it had gone in. Somehow, despite a lukewarm critical reception and low viewership, it lived on for season five, in which Harmon was brought back. It was canceled soon after, but Yahoo! picked it up for a sixth and final season, which was a solid return to form.

The writing was sensational. Harmon and his crew always knew exactly how to blend comedy, and well written and structured stories, with enough of an emotional heft to keep the characters realistic and grounded in an otherwise very fictional and exaggerated universe. The jokes are sharp and scintillating, and while not every single joke landed, you always knew what they were going for and could appreciate the effort. One of the very best aspects of the show was the fact that each character was a human being, not a prop for a joke. In many comedies, both in film and television, the characters aren't as much people as they are joke machine; Community intentionally avoided this problem by virtually always putting the characters first in a scene, thereby having the jokes come organically from the situation, not the character.

It's a very strong show, but there are a few weaknesses. The most glaring one is the character, Ben Chang. While still generally entertaining and funny, he suffered from a few bad story lines and was overall the least humorous of the cast. Community made an effort to include almost all forms of comedy, so at least a part of it would appeal to everyone. Chang most often indulged in the broad and ridiculous humour, which while funny in small doses, is easily the weakest of the comedy Community had going for it. The cast was phenomenal, and even though members were coming and going over its six season run, the core characters and their relationships always felt complete. There was never a weak link in the cast, no one one to ever drag down the show or their fellow actors.

Occasionally, the 'hug away our problems' ending the show often fell victim to felt forced and unnecessary. The relationships portrayed on Community felt entirely authentic because of the acting and writing, however sometimes it seemed like the writers worked overtime to show just how much they love and care about each other. But really this was OK, due to the fact that we were also given truly mesmerising and dedicated homages and film parodies. These episodes were balanced with more vérité episodes as to not feel like overkill, but each one felt better and more incredible than the last.

Overall, Community is Dan Harmon's magnum opus. Of its six seasons, the only one to be of a lesser quality is the one he was fired from. Community grew well beyond expectations and was of a much higher standard then was expected. From the writing, to the direction, to the cast; it was just a brilliant show. Dan Harmon may be too much for Hollywood when it comes to film, but he is perfect for a television comedy.

Rating: 4.5 /5

Cool, cool cool cool

Author: ciaran hyland from Ireland
5 November 2015

Honestly one of the best shows I have ever watched. It has low points but these only accentuate the points. I've already completed my first re-watch, and look forward to watching it again for a third time. The characters in the show are all so memorable, and unique. The people that portray them are immensely talented. The frequent references to numerous popular movies and television shows makes the show easily accessible and adds to the humor when another production you're a fan of is mentioned. I cannot stress enough how much I'd recommend it. I've been truly glued to my screen at times, completely immersed in an episode.Also paint ball episodes, nuff said

My precious

Author: Oliver Skrzyposzek from Germany
13 November 2013

I've recently signed up for this page just to let you know: this show is a totally mind blowing roller-coaster ride of constant joy and laughter! I usually don't participate in public review culture, but intense enthusiasm for this little television jewel make me shout it out loud: Go Greendale!!!

At least during the first three seasons, there is nothing but love in every detail. So many stunning ideas, so many surprises, the creators and writers a truly crafted. The cast like what they do and they do hell of a great job. What do they say on set: "Just have fun with it!" Damn right they have fun and it jumps right into your face.

This show has been compared to scrubs several times and I think the creator has just intended something like that (not to mention the homage to Elliot Reid impersonated by Annie Edison, who's facial expressions strongly remind me of the beloved chaos doc-tress. Of course, Alison Brie is way hotter than Sarah Chalke...). The tempo and dynamics of surprisingly smart dialogues, actors with great synergy, plus a healthy potion of "I wanna fu#*ing watch the next episode immediately", these are the features of both shows. BUT Community can also score with changing scenery and these precious "special episodes." I cant't explain what this term might refer to without spoiling, but you will know it when you see it (Sometimes the intro changes in this episodes).

The only question torturing me at night is this: Why isn't this show as popular as current hits like TBBT or HIMYM? It's damn sure equally good (at least!), it has all the cool geek stuff from the first one combined with the family feeling from the second one. It's smart, charming, has a bunch of sweet running gags, but nevertheless it didn't hit the masses as hard as it should have. What might be the answer? Can it really be the missing "laughter tape" (thank god for that!)? Either my taste is kinda weird or a lot of people are kinda dumb. Sorry for that, but the truth is hidden somewhere in between. Maybe sometimes the jokes are TOO smart... Of course I didn't get all the pop-culture and movie references either, but I always knew that they were well written.

Maybe it's just this sad fact: There are still plenty of people out there who don't know this digital diamond yet, so it's time to spread the word! I managed to infect most of my friends with the Greendale virus, and if everyone does a small contribution, we will succeed. If you liked scrubs and aren't a total dummy, please give it a try! Go Greendale!!!

Community is good enough to make life worthwhile

Author: rakileish23
6 May 2013

I'm not that kind of a guy who lives on TV shows. That too, being in India, watching American TV shows is only possible via the Internet. After watching a couple of them, I came across Community. It impressed me at first, but the amazing thing was, it kept on impressing me, episode after episode! I used to laugh at the people who feel that they are "emotionally attached" to TV and stuff like that, but now here I am, loving a show and reminiscing it every possible time.

For people who say that this show is only built upon pop culture references and the show is funny only if you get those references, I could only reply that it is a very poor observation. I almost never get the references, but yet it is really funny. For instance, the pilot episode has a scene referencing "The Breakfast Club". I never got that, but I really laughed at it when I saw it the first time. After all, it is the humor that matters in the end.

Every single character, from the lead characters to the ones who appears in brief moments, makes their presence felt with a lot of impact. The dialogs are so funny (in a good manner, not with some lewd innuendos that is mainstream right now) and instantly catchy that you will be quoting it in your real life wherever possible.The situations in this, after being watched once, will definitely run in your minds at odd moments, and you'll be giggling to yourselves. I'm not exaggerating; all these things happened and keeps happening to me!

All of these were true till Season 3. Season 4, due to many reasons, primarily due to the absence of Dan Harmon, is turning bad and so much clichéd. But in the same manner I gave up series like How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory after they jumped the shark, I am not able to give up on Community that easily. However bad the episode is, I somehow watch it and hoping the series to end soon because it is better to have a peaceful death than a death with pain and suffering. And Community has suffered enough. It is excruciating to see a wonderful show going bad.

This show lies so close to my heart, and it will for the rest of my life. I just hope that a large number of people will cherish Community for what it is, and it does not stays as a cult show perpetually.

For people who are reading this review just because you have decided to give this a try, do it without any further delay. For people who have watched the show and thinking that I'm over-rating it, well, all I can think of saying is that I'm sure that it will dawn upon you eventually that how right I am. ;)

Funniest comedy since Friends and Frasier!

Author: bbelle-lee from planet earth
3 August 2012

After Friends and Frasier called it a day, no other sitcoms made me laugh at all, if much. Perhaps Family Guy but, it is a cartoon. The reason why I tried Community was because I saw Ken Jeong's face and thought, hey the guy in Hangover? This sitcom shouldn't be THAT dry. So I watched it... and got hooked!! I am totally addicted to it! Each and every character is a comedy by themselves! Jeff, The Dean, Chang, Britta, Abed and Troy... all of them are marvelously hilarious! I salute the scriptwriter and the story-writer cos each episode is a sides cracking adventure filled with laughter! And the funny conversations and the unexpected twists and turns just made you laugh until beer spurts out of your nose! Wonderful! Please, keep this gem going, for at least 10 seasons. This world with depressing news everyday needs a short 22 minutes of pure hilarity to release our stress, yup and this is it, this is our laughter spa. Please keep Community going!!! Ten thumbs up!

A show on it's way to becoming a classic.

Author: leash_19-164-592119
15 July 2012

The writers are amazing and the actors make you fall in love with each one of them. The show just keeps getting better. I have never seen an episode in which I don't smile or at least giggle.

This is a show about community college, where we meet an old man, who happens to be an adorable racist, a middle aged woman who is a hypocrite, a hot girl who thinks she's a rebel that everyone loves to hate, a 19 year old smart girl that blew her chances to attend a good school because of an addiction, a cute and childish ex football player, a pop culture expert that possibly has aspergers and a hot stud that lost his job as a lawyer and needs to go through college from the start. This group of weird people become a family in their own way, going through a lot of ridiculous situations. Include a freaky pervert who teaches Spanish, señor Chang and a gay diva that is their Dean. This description sounds terrible, right? Who would fall in love with this freaks? And yet, this is how good the show is!

One of the best shows that I have ever seen. I hope the day Community ends is far far away. Give it a try. You will not regret it.