IMDb > "Community" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Community"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Community" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

One of the best series, not just now but ever!

Author: Jonas Jonas from Norway
16 August 2012

This TV-series blew my mind when I first started watching it, and that was not the only time. Again and again this show has surprised and blown my mind. It is a perfect mix of comedy (various types of comedy ranging from hilarious to space to "whaaaat! This is awesome", action and even a deeper , sad story.

Honestly, the actors are top-notch and Chevy Chase again proves he is a king of comedy. The rest of the actors are to me "new", and have not starred in anything famous as far as I know (except for Alison Brie), but that does not mean they can't act. Among these, the one that really impresses me is Jim Rash aka Dean Pelton. There is no way you can not love this guy and the character he plays.

Also, if you decide to watch this show, do not just watch the first episode! You have to see at least two, preferably three and by then you're hooked. I've promoted this show to 4 friends of mine, and each time we've sat down and watched the first three episodes in a row and after the third one (or 1 time the second one), they'll be begging for more. You're addicted by then, and the only cure is more Greendale.

Last argument. The show gets better the more times you watch it. I've seen it three times now, and each time you notice something new, something subtle, but still pretty funny. I'm not going to go into detail due to spoilers, but the humour is on several levels and each character is funny on their level of humour. For example Troy is one of the persons you want to study because he is subtly funny as well.

Well, what are you waiting for? Go watch it now!

Thursday night,meet your next promising comedy!

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
30 March 2010

Jeff Wheeler(Joel McHale,heretofore previously known as the latest in a long line of wiseacres who host/hosted E!'s "The Soup")has been demoted--via a plot contrivance that's as improbable as it is inspired--from accomplished lawyer to freshman at a local community college. Forced to suck it up,Jeff goes to this Juco and discovers that he may,in fact,have a bonding with a group of students in his Spanish course(!). Among them:a skeptical hot girl(Gillian Jacobs),a cinema auteur wannabe(Danny Pudi),a highly-opinionated black lady(Yvette Nicole Brown),the seemingly virginal fuddy-dud(Alison Edie),the "Maybe he's gay/maybe not" star athlete(Donald Glover)and a one-time successful entrepreneur with a seemingly endless amount of dark character flaws(Chevy Chase,as inspired a comeback as ever!). Riding herd over these less-than-inspired selfish individuals are Senor Chang(Ken Leung,capitalizing on his ability to slip into psychotic comedic characters wherever he can find them),the Spanish teacher with a bit of a Napoleon complex and Dean Pelton(Jim Rash),a blissfully oblivious and callous department head.

A dark comedy,full of a veritable stream of Anti-PSA type messages and campus stereotypes of various amounts of unlikability,this show joins the seemingly long and gilded pantheon of acclaimed AND well-received comedies on NBC's Thursday nights. I have no real fix on how well this show is doing,ratings-wise,but I suspect that enough good word of mouth will keep this one running for AT LEAST another season. Well,I can hope anyway.

A fun(if perhaps in need of polish) show that augments an already very watchable evening of shows!

10/10 - pure genius!!!

Author: Togmo from Australia
9 July 2011

This has to be the freshest, best comedy going at the moment. The jokes are consistent - you know when you watch an episode that it will make you laugh! Too many comedies nowadays are a little hit and miss and spend too long trying to keep up with the characters they have developed, often restricting the amount of laughs.

All the characters meld together well in a group that might not necessarily meld together too well in real life. The diversity in the views, ages and cultures of the study group allow this show to explore topics that some comedies can't. Having said that they don't really focus on those topics as much as they probably could which I think is a good thing. They are all endearing characters in their own ways which can allow them to get away with saying things that aren't politically correct and borderline offensive (thinking of Chevy Chase's character in particular).

The characters and how the cast play them make this show what it is, the cast do an amazing job and every character is played to perfection. Describing them very generally as we go around the table we have: 1. a young, extremely hot, but sexually repressed white girl; 2. an older religious black mother; 3. an old, loose mouthed prejudicial but kind hearted white man; 4. a young African American Jock; 5. a television obsessed, and analytical Indian-American man; 6. a white woman who is a humanist and feminist and holds strong views on most things, and 7. the father figure of the group, a cooler than cool middle-aged white man. The cast of teachers (in particular Ken Jeong who is great in this) and others (thinking the oldies and Star Jones) are also great and add to the feel that the show is set in a college campus and not just a studio somewhere.

The episode where they are playing paintball (I love the warriors reference too) and the episode where Jeff plays pool in his cool leather pants are two of the funniest half hour comedy episodes ever shown on TV. My only problem is that here in Australia this show isn't shown during prime time, why not?

Excellent Show, Pierce is Hilarious

Author: ericdeben from United States
4 February 2011

On the boards I see people criticizing Pierce. Chevy Chase is a great actor. He plays the role of a racist old man on the show. Have you ever heard of that stereotypical racist, homophobic, old man? If you haven't you haven't seen enough movies and TV. He's absolutely hilarious to say the least. I can't believe you guys are actually that offended by his character. It's a show. He's a dumb, racist, old man and he plays that role well. I find it shocking that you guys hate him and want him off the show. It's not just him saying "Gay" that's funny. I'm not 12. It's the fact that he doesn't give a sh*t about what he says. If he were kicked out of the group, that would take a whole lot out of Community. He's PART of that community. Losing Pierce would be the same as losing Jeff or Britta. I see you guys hating on Shirley. Same thing. She's a part of the Community and she plays the middle-aged nice lady role great. It wouldn't be Community without her. Now, I do think Pierce needs a turning point some time in the show where we see his softer side. But, I wouldn't be upset if the episode after that turning point he went back to normal. That's just what I'd expect him to do. With that being said, Community is a great hilarious show as a whole. I've been hooked ever since the first episode. All the characters are very interesting and we've seen them inside and out. As I've said before, I'd like to see a deeper episode on Pierce. If you see this and you can post on the board (and agree with me) feel free to defend the characters you love. Though, I don't think it will make much of a difference. I trust that Community will keep the characters that make up the show.

My New Scrubs!

Author: brendan-ralph from Ireland
3 September 2010

American TV produces a lot of comedies in the past years, and even a few of them have become very successful. if this is treated right within the next few seasons then it's golden. it's a very funny witty American comedy, i didn't know much about this except that it had Chevy Chase co starring, if that doesn't grab you than i don't know what will. this is them rare American shows that prove Americans can also write funny dialogue that doesn't need to have slap-stick humor. there are great characters that are supported by great new actors that fit the environment and beats of the show so well. it's defiantly worth watching the first few episodes to see if it's for you.

Hope It Lasts!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
10 December 2009

Let's face it, the sitcom genre seems to be on life support. But there is good news, it appears that fans and viewers prefer the non-audience taped programs. That's fine but how do you know if the show is funny without the audience. Well, shows like Community with a first rate cast featuring Joel McHale from E! and the legendary Chevy Chase as well as Danny Pudi and others help make this show worth watching. I love the actress who plays Shirley, a divorced mother of two at Greenvale Community College. If this show inspires those out there to check out their community or county college or adult school program, it's worth having on the air. This show isn't to inspire people but to make jokes about a bunch of adult students in college trying to grow up and get an education.

Dan Harmon's Magnum Opus

Author: Heisenberg White
8 November 2015

Dan Harmon is obsessed by the idea of family and the idea of being loved. Family is the most prominent recurring theme in Community. Both the plot lines and the character interactions are based around family, and the impact it has for an individual. The overall moral of Community is that family doesn't have to be the one you're born into, it can be the one you choose. Community is not only one of the funniest and best produced sitcoms of all time, but it also one of the most genuine and honest. The whole concept of family was the beating heart to what otherwise would have been a much more cynical show. No matter how funny and dark the comedy got at times, it was the warmth and the familiarity that kept the show going for an amazing six season run.

The whole premise of Community can sound like a typical sitcom in the making. Ex lawyer goes to a community college to get a real degree after faking one to become a lawyer. But this premise is exactly what it is, a premise. The show is so much bigger then that. The pilot perfectly sets up the characters and gives a good idea about what to expect from the show, although after about half way through season one, many of the personality traits and sitcom tropes are dropped altogether.

Community is an immensely funny show though, one of the funniest and fast paced that I've ever seen. The writing for this show is just outstanding. The dialogue is fast, witty and is almost never dumbed down. The characters are always developing, to the point where they feel like such different people by the series finale; and the plots are so original and inspired that it is makes it fun to watch like nothing else. The over-the-top and campy vibe to the show made this community college feel like it existed in a completely different universe.

In fact, campiness is a underrated aspect of the show that is often overlooked or maybe not even noticed. It is a very subtle campiness, but everything from the acting to the direction can be classed as campy. The acting from the entire ensemble is another aspect that really helped make this as fantastic as it is. Joel McHale was the perfect leading man, and perfectly captured a narcissistic, sarcastic, possibly sociopathic womanizer turned compassionate, caring teacher. But everyone helped form the show into such a brilliant work of television.

Community is not a easily graded show though. Season one was a truly great first season. It flawlessly mixed fast paced comedy, with some truly poignant and tender scenes. One could argue that this was also the most stereotypically sitcom-y season, and they would be right, but that does not make this any less of a season. Season two was just outstanding and brilliant from start to finish. It is one of the most consistently funny and marvelous seasons of anything I've ever seen. Season three was also great, although it felt almost to personal. Dan Harmon was going though some issues both in his personal and professional life, and it was showing on screen. While the plots were still as original and innovative as ever, and the jokes still hitting the mark, it felt somewhat darker and more bleak. There was also a more empty feel to the set.

Then season four happened. Dan Harmon was fired for reasons never actually confirmed, though probably because he seems like a hard person to deal with in real life, and the shows two head writers quit. This is also the season that Chevy Chase, Community's main selling point, decided to throw in the towel and quit, but not before phoning in some real bizarre and bad performances. This wasn't as bad a season as others make out to be, and some episodes were actually quite good, but as a whole it felt disappointing. Somehow it was renewed again, but thank god, because Season Five was a return to form. Dan Harmon was back, as was the writers, and John Oliver and Jonathan Banks became main characters. Donald Glover, who portrayed fan favourite Troy Barnes, left half way through the season though, and unfortunately cast a shadow over the rest of the season. NBC cancelled it but by some gift of God, Yahoo! Screen renewed it for a sixth and final season. The last season was as good as the show had ever been, and ended on a more then magnificent note. After six seasons worth of budget cuts, cast changes, crew changes, and a slowly decreasing viewership, the show finished at the right time and can be classed as one of the all time greats.

Overall, I just believe that this is one of the most original and innovative sitcoms of all time. It is so funny, so well acted, so well produced and directed, so well written, and just so much fun to watch. Not a single weak link in the cast, and even though season four was a sudden and unfortunate mess, it was still fun to watch, even if for the wrong reasons. And by the time you finish every episode, you realize that the characters were more then just a family. They were a Community.

Top Five Best Episodes: 1. Paradigms of Human Memory; 2. Cooperative Calligraphy; 3. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons; 4. Modern Warfare; 5. Remedial Chaos Theory

Bottom Five Worst Episodes: 1. Conventions of Space and Time; 2. Advanced Introduction to Finality; 3. Intro to Knots; 4. Cooperative Escapism in Familial Relations; 5. Alternative History of the German Invasion

Show Rating: 4.5 /5

Grade: A-

Most UNDER-rated show of all time!

Author: Leon Erbe from Germany
13 May 2014

I started watching this show in summer 2013, I believe. At that point I did not expect much as it seemed like any other sitcom at first, but I had soon turned out to be so much more.

Community has become my very favorite show. Hell, it even surpassed 'The Simpsons', 'My Name Is Earl', 'How I Met Your Mother', 'South Park', and so many other shows which were my favorite at some point. Now, I am not claiming this will forever remain my favorite, but it definitely will always be in my heart.

For whatever reason, though, this show seems to be getting much more hate than it deserves, which I simply cannot understand. Whatever though; that will not badmouth this show for me.

It gets surreal most of the time (especially in the seasons after the first one), Abed comes up with lots of movie/TV show references, and you get to see a 'family' grow more and more attached to each other.

A real bummer is, though, that Chevy Chase as well as Donald Glover left the cast - especially since Troy Barnes (Donald Glover) is my favorite character (Abed/Danny Pudi places second, though). Even worse: At the moment it looks like 'Community' will forever be cancelled, which saddens me a lot.

'Community' may not have the biggest fan-base, but it definitely has the most loyal one.

Love the references, not just another network TV comedy

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 May 2014

Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) is a lawyer with a degree from Columbia (the country) who is on the verge of being disbarred. He enrolls in Greendale Community College, and tries to get close to Britta Perry (Gillian Jacobs) by tutoring her on Spanish. The film obsessed weirdo Abed Nadir (Danny Pudi) mistakenly invites divorcée Shirley Bennett (Yvette Nicole Brown), former drugged up Annie Edison (Alison Brie), slightly dim former high school football star Troy Barnes (Donald Glover), and cranky old rich guy Pierce Hawthorne (Chevy Chase) to the study session. They form a study group and a new family of sorts in this ridiculous lower education center.

Show runner Dan Harmon has created one of the most unique network TV comedies around. It has the group friendship that is the bread and butter of network TV. It forms the backbone of the show. The comedy is very sarcastic and throws a lot of references around. Dan Harmon and his writers obviously love TV and movies. I love the group, but I'm in love with the comedic material. You don't have to be Abed to like this show, but it sure would help. The low viewership finally catches up after 5 seasons.

Greatest. Show. Ever.

Author: Rachy Benstead (Benstead29@gmail.com) from Australia
8 August 2013

This show is one the greatest shows that I have ever seen in my entire life. It has the most funniest sayings and I seriously don't know how someone could hate such a hilarious TV show. Abed Nadir and Troy Barnes are by far the greatest characters in this show and I love them both. I recommend this show to every single person because it can make even the most up-tight people laugh! Even though most of what Chevy Chase says is most usually racist and sexual, he is still pretty funny. Pretty please watch this show!! You will so not regret it!! But like, if you find Racist jokes extremely offensive then maybe this isn't quite the show for you but... To everyone else... Currently Seasons 1, 2, and 3 are out on DVD 08-08-13 Cheeeerioooo!! xoxo