IMDb > "Community" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Community"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Community" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

DVR set to Record All Episodes

Author: ApolloTheWisest from United States
21 November 2009

Great characters. Great chemistry. When i first watched this I was in a mood of somewhere along the lines of "I need to start watching some newer shows and take a break from catching up on the classics that I haven't seen yet (ie currently on 3rd season of Simpsons)" The overall writing is quite clever. I'll be shocked if this show doesn't get a second season. On the other hand, I will be shocked if Parks and Rec gets a third season.

When I first saw the stupid NBC promos calling it "its like the breakfast club.. without the breakfast" - my reaction was basically: - stupid, stupid, stupid NBC. But then again I also feel sorry for the guy who also has to make jimmy failon seem interesting.

Anyway - if you don't like some of the characters at the beginning of the show you will once the season moves along when they actually have their own special "moments" or even episodes about them.

This is a show that has great writing, maybe not top quality but better than the mess that Heroes is in and keeps the humor going unlike Parks And Rec.

I don't like to watch it live but thats cause I hate commercials and want to watch it at like 2 or 3am when I'm working on homework (night owl) if I want to. I could said I could easily watch this through various means of the internet, which shall remain nameless, but I like watching it on the tele most of the time.

And now after having woken up, time for a live Chelsea game.

Cool, cool cool cool

Author: ciaran hyland from Ireland
5 November 2015

Honestly one of the best shows I have ever watched. It has low points but these only accentuate the points. I've already completed my first re-watch, and look forward to watching it again for a third time. The characters in the show are all so memorable, and unique. The people that portray them are immensely talented. The frequent references to numerous popular movies and television shows makes the show easily accessible and adds to the humor when another production you're a fan of is mentioned. I cannot stress enough how much I'd recommend it. I've been truly glued to my screen at times, completely immersed in an episode.Also paint ball episodes, nuff said

Comedy that doesn't treat its audience like idiots

Author: mightymothra from Massachusetts, USA
3 June 2015

I have been consistently charmed by this show since it was first recommended to me by a friend, and I think a huge part of that is the fact that it doesn't act like its audience is incapable of a little thought. It puts the work in, and we give it the fleeting moment it needs to set up and pay off. Truly delightful comedy comes from taking a truth, giving it a great setup, and laying out a perfect delivery, and man oh man is Community a delight.

The action is character-driven, wonderfully creative, juvenile without being idiotic, FUN, and refreshingly honest. I don't think I could've picked a better cast, either - particularly Donald Glover, Alison Brie, Chevey Chase, and Jim Rash. Joel McHale and Danny Pudi play their roles well, but they rarely get the chance to break loose. Yvette Nicole Brown similarly does a great job, but does not often get the chance to go nuts (with a few wonderful exceptions). Ken Jeong is a joy to behold. I would have never expected him to be as great of a physical supervillain character as he is. His broken crackle from the Pop-And-Lock-athon will haunt my nightmares.

I greatly respect Harmon for respecting us enough to deliver the show he wanted to make. If the latest season on Yahoo is any indication, there's still a bright future ahead.

The most underrated TV show

Author: Max Cool from United Kingdom
6 April 2015

This show is the best I've seen on TV for a long time, I heard about it through a friend and had no Idea what it was, in hearing the plot line I was turned off by the predictable story I thought would take place but I went in to watch if anyway, and in doing so was the best choice I've made in a long time! The first episode blew me away with the amount of pop culture references abed makes and the comedic genius and timing of Donald glover as Troy (who later teams up with abed to create possibly the best TV friendship of all time). Chevy chase in a genius role that's under appreciated by many. I would go through the rest but I've got too much to say. The special episodes are the most original thing I've seen on TV with paint ball fights, pillow forts vs blanket forts and even an game of the floor is lava. With the help of the brilliant cast the show creator, Dan Harmon, really created a piece of his soul as a TV show that will remain in my mind the best, I never usually laugh at TV shows but you can watch this one endlessly. The only reason I don't give this a ten is because of how the show has turned into the shows that they originally mocked. But overall a brilliant TV show and most definitely the most underrated TV show of all time. A must see for anyone, any age, anywhere.

Smart Clever Witty & Funny

Author: brett threat from Maine
7 February 2015

One of the best shows ever on modern television with its pop culture references & one liners. Plot threads weave thru the entire show but also allow for indiscriminate viewing of episodes for pure enjoyment much like the Simpsons. Each character of the show has its own defined niche (the cool guy, the nerd, the jock, the Christian, the idealist, the over achiever, and the old guy) that adds nicely to the group. The ensemble cast is the best part of the show, with each character really getting a chance to shine. Episodes include mock Ken Burns documentaries, paint ball wars, claymation Xmas, and they even get a whole episode as video game characters

Actual brilliant comedy (spoilers from season one)

Author: emiliene from Oslo, Norway
9 September 2014

Community surprised me with it's excellence, with good characters that are easy to relate to, and lots of references you can spot everywhere. As I listened to much of the creator's (Dan Harmon's) pod-cast, Harmontown, before I watched the show, I found myself linking the different characters to parts of him, which made it even mode entertaining. I read a review (in Norwegian) from a man who thought Abed (Danni Pudi) is the least relatable character because of bad acting, but for me this isn't true. Abed is easy to relate to, and wonderfully acted. My sister studied Autism, and she's always pointing out how my behaviour at times show signs of autism, and maybe that weak autism resides in most of us, but it shows in Abed, he is just like I can be. Abed is also so kind, as the only thing he wants is to make the rest happy and be with Troy. He is also a very funny character as he is the one who really brings the big guns when it comes to references. His impressions are hilarious, and I can't get enough of batman. Pierse(Chevy Chase) is my least favourite character, mostly because I think it is wrongly cast, community doesn't need a celebrity to carry it. It's also because most laughs are on him, and his inability to laugh at himself, but even he manages to get under my skin after a while, because it is not hate, merely ignorance who makes him who he is.

The funniest character by far, however, is Dean Pelton (Jim Rash). I have watched the clip of him turning up and claiming that "it's time to Tina Turner... the clocks ahead" dressed in a Tina Turner costume what should be too many times, but I'm still crying every time. The running gag in the first season was also hilarious, where he starts by saying "This better not awaken anything in me" while watching a clip of dalmatians. The season rounded off at the ball where the dean had to run off in the middle of a speech to speak to a human in a dalmatian costume who had shown up, and then later getting worried when another one came.The series as a whole is the perfect poke at the side of the rest of Hollywood. I agree that after the first season, the seasons lost a plot, but the episodes by them selves are so good, it makes me think that that is how a sitcom should be. The plot might not always be there, but there are many three-dimensional characters, there is always some sort of meeting with the goddess, and the reference humour is too good for the show to be missable, can't wait for the sixth season. I don't particularly like American comedy, and that especially applies to American sitcoms. I watched Friends as it became stale, and the other super-popular sitcoms as they followed the same recipe. Boring. I also watched the whole of The Drew Carey Show in a lapse of judgement, but at the end it wasn't cutting it, any of it. My love for Comedy started in Britain, and that's where it'll stay, but Community will always have a piece of my heart, reminding me that America is a big country with lost of different stuff in it, it's not one big goo.

One of the best Sitcom out there.

Author: Asadullah Khan from Pakistan
22 May 2014

Finished Community (R.I.P).

I believe I started watching community after watching a couple of seasons of Big bang theory and How I met your mother a few years back and I found it so refreshing. A well written, no laugh-track dependent, creative sitcom with an awesome cast.

Its setting is a community collage 'Greendale' and hence the name 'Community', where a rag tag group of people form a study group. They become something more than a group though and they deal with AMAZING stuff throughout the five seasons. Very well acted show, which makes you completely fall in love with its characters.

The best thing about this show, for me, was that it starts as a normal collage days type show where it develops its character but slowly introduce awesome pop culture spoofs, special episodes, hilarious 4th wall breaks etc. And since you have grown to love the characters by then, seeing them in different roles and different situation becomes a blast, provided you know what is being spoofed. Easily the king of special episodes, community has a HUGE array of awesome episodes that I could watch on forever and will never get bored.

Struggling with ratings and viewership, and the loss of two main characters in season 4 and 5, the show finally got axed at the end of season 5. Would have loved a final season to completely wrap up things. But it gladly didn't end as a cliffhanger and gave enough closure to subdue the pain of cancellation. Also, I really liked how the show compensated in season 5 for the two missing main characters. The new group was pretty good.

Seasons wise, I will say that Season 1-2 are the best. Season 3-5 are second best and Season 4 is the weakest as it saw departure of show runner Dan Harmon, who thankfully returned for season 5 and his return really did show in that season.

One of my favourite sitcom, and a must watch for anyone looking for a comedy series.

Probably the best TV show made in the past decade

Author: j-a-lamarche2 from United States
11 August 2012

This show captured me from the first episode i saw. I intentionally watched it because it had Chevy Chase, and I've always been a big fan of him. But the show was so well written and so self aware that i became taken with it instantly. I say self aware because the show knows it is a sitcom, it doesn't try to blow romance and drama all over your face like some sitcoms out there (cough...Friends...cough). Albeit, Community does have its cliché moments, but at the same time it knows they are cliché and makes fun of them. It is quite simply the best written and most under rated and snubbed show on TV. Heres to six seasons and a movie.

Best Comedy on Cable TV

Author: mannix-kennedy from Canada
11 May 2012

This has some of the best written and situational comedy I've seen in years. The Characters are fantastic and everyone of the actors does a great job playing their part. Abed and Troy are my favorites, but the rest of the cast does not fail to live up to the smart and witty humor.

If you have not watched this show, I urge you to do so (In sequence)as the characters and story line kind of develops linearly.

I have a feeling sometimes they dumb it down a bit for the north American audience. Maybe Star or HBO can save the day if comes down to it.

If the idiot Exec producers cancel this show, I'm just going to Freak OUT!and not just because Alison Brie is hot and I have a little crush on her ; )

Enjoy : )

P.S. If Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon to slug it out to keep the show going, then do it and get it over with so the show can go on.

Perhaps my favorite show of all time

Author: MovieShrink7 from United States
5 February 2012

My brother was the one who told me about Community. His taste and mine don't always mesh so I was reluctant at first...until he showed me the epic Spanish rap that we now all know and love. He then sat me down and had me watch the first sixteen episodes of season 1 and I was instantly hooked.

I can't explain what makes this show so perfect but it truly is. Maybe its the fact that it makes fun of itself at every turn or the fact that they have goofy adventures usually reserved for preteen shows but whatever it is, it works. Every episode is another escapade and yet, somehow, you still learn more about the characters and watch them grow.

If anything scared me about Community, it was Chevy Chase. I wasn't sure how I felt about him but my fears were quickly abated when I realized he basically plays himself; a pathetic, bitter, aged man who, somewhere deep down, is a decent person trying to find acceptance.

Chevy, along with the rest of the cast, is phenomenal. Joel Mchale works perfectly as the charming narcissist Jeff Winger who does everything he can to fight the urge to care for anyone but himself. Gillian Jacobs does a great job as the incessant crusading philanthropist hippie Britta Perry. Allison Brie plays naive to a t as neurotic Annie Edison. Yvette Nicole Brown is sugary sweet with just a little liquor hiding underneath to bite you as the overly Christian housewife Shirley Bennet. Then, of course, you have my two favorites; Danny Pudi and Donald Glover as Abed Nadir and Troy Barnes respectively. They have a bromance that cannot be outdone. Watch just a handful of episodes and try not to fall in love with this quirky mismatched pair. They are ridiculously adorable and hysterical.

Community has gotten quirkier as time has gone on but, as creator Dan Harmon put it, he and the writers have simply been attempting to "jump the shark" every episode as long as NBC will allow the show to continue. Every ridiculous and insane plot that they come up with is going to be made until someone pulls the plug. For my own sake, and, hell, for the sake of humanity, let's hope that it doesn't happen soon (or at least they kill Whitney first)